Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

KingShiro posted:

The "Running Girl" job is creepy, and I suck at the handshake events.

I did that side job immediately hoping it'd be a parody of the Korean show Running Man.

Also handshake events would be less gross if it were other teenagers or younger kids rather than a parade of middle aged men, but I guess that's probably a reflection on the reality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
All the guys wearing the fan club jackets smell their hands as they walk away.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

One day Haruka will realize she could be a pretty good lawyer. Or a chef. Or anything else for that matter.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Saoshyant posted:

One day Haruka will realize she could be a pretty good lawyer. Or a chef. Or anything else for that matter.

A promising career as a manzai straight-man.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Running Girl just kinda confused me, really. You jog a couple blocks, the camera is moving around too much for it to be like a low-angle, soft focus Baywatch thing, and you're not even murdered at the end like The Running Man. Like it's in the idol industry so it's clearly some sort of horrible twisted sex thing but I just don't understand it. Are you supposed to imagine she's fleeing from your grabby mitts?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

That's one of the things that's kind of eerie about the idol industry. You'd expect a low-angle. Hell, you'd understand the point if there's a low angle. But no. An idol just doing mundane everyday is enough for people, I assume, to get off to.

PS: I don't actually know poo poo about what I'm talking about, so don't take my word for it.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Captain Walker posted:

There's a way to trigger the "Secret of" line of upgrades that rely on timed hits without mashing the button and hoping for the best, right? Right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

That would require some random crazy person to grab her off the street and explain that her dream is now to be a lawyer.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Honestly I expected her to want to be a schoolteacher, but afaik there's no yakuza influence in that so it wouldn't have been appropriate for this series.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So while I enjoy that the game lets you play some minigames multiplayer, it's annoying that you can't pick your character. Pool is always Kiryu vs Akiyama, Darts is Haruka vs Kiryu, and Bowling is Saejima vs Shinada. It's kinda a strange decision to make.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I've been watching some jvlogs on youtube but none of those idiots ever go to Kabukicho :mad:

guess they don't want to get kicked on the chest by an impossibly tall yakuza

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

El Hefe posted:

I've been watching some jvlogs on youtube but none of those idiots ever go to Kabukicho :mad:

Once my parents were in Shinjuku alone on their way back from visiting me and I from their description, I think they wandered into there at night by accident. A gangstery looking guy deliberately ran into my dad's shoulder and looked at him meaningfully. He took the message that they didn't belong there.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Samurai Sanders posted:

Once my parents were in Shinjuku alone on their way back from visiting me and I from their description, I think they wandered into there at night by accident. A gangstery looking guy deliberately ran into my dad's shoulder and looked at him meaningfully. He took the message that they didn't belong there.

lol I love that those random encounters also happen irl

but why don't they want foreigners there? wouldn't it be good for business if they go to the hostess clubs and stuff?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

El Hefe posted:

lol I love that those random encounters also happen irl

but why don't they want foreigners there? wouldn't it be good for business if they go to the hostess clubs and stuff?
I think it's more that a middle aged married couple who don't know Japanese are probably not going to be putting any money into the hostess club business there.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think it's more that a middle aged married couple who don't know Japanese are probably not going to be putting any money into the hostess club business there.

they don't know that maybe your parents are really kinky ;)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Oh dear, that ending though.

I didn't like this entry in the series very much, it was way too scattershot, but I'm sure as hell glad I got to play it. I hope Zero doesn't let me down after I bought a PS4 to play it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
I went to Kabukicho, ate at a restaurant and geeked out over being able to navigate relatively easily through the area.

Had a couple of maids invite me to bars. I declined, and out of nowhere this 45+ year old white dude appeared and took my invite. "Oh I like to drink!" he said.

I think I got out-gooned.:smith:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There were some great parts, but the actual game has tons of bizarrely terrible design decisions and the story was of course garbage.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

El Hefe posted:

Went there once, a black guy hassled us to go in to his bar, so we left. :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Only a week until Kiwami. It will be good to be back to Kamuro in the present, good old 2005. I will be happy to get back to Kiryu's regular fighting style, the closest style to that in Zero has an annoying delay before the first punch.

edit: Reading the website, I guess you can't use that style right away though. Also it says that Majima is related to it somehow.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 14, 2016

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I picked this up after watching a Let's Play from Super Best Friends. I've tried to get into the series before and really wanted to like it. From what I saw, it looks like something I'm really into. Is there anything I should know before starting? Any tips to getting to the best stuff as soon as possible? Or for maximizing fun?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

I picked this up after watching a Let's Play from Super Best Friends. I've tried to get into the series before and really wanted to like it. From what I saw, it looks like something I'm really into. Is there anything I should know before starting? Any tips to getting to the best stuff as soon as possible? Or for maximizing fun?

Don't pick up any sparkly things as Haruka. Donate all those junk weapons to the weapon shop instead of money, because for some insane reason you can't sell weapons.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For some reason I woke up this morning thinking, what do we actually know about Nishiki and Yuri's actions on that fateful day at the beginning of 1? They're gonna reveal/retcon his character like crazy I think, I wonder if they will change it to something like, it was all actually a set-up and he just wanted to kill Dojima and make it look at least somewhat not his fault? Or even possibly deliberately to frame Kiryu for it so he's out of the way? Is there anything that makes that not possible?

edit: there's a million other things about the Dojima group of Y1 that don't make much sense anymore, knowing what we now know about them from Zero. I wonder how they'll do it...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 15, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

buying kiwami gets you a demo for 6 on the 28th

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I want to help but don't really understand the question. You think there's an invisible button prompt for triggering the chance to upgrade some of the heat moves? I thought it was just a matter of using them enough because i certainly wasn't hitting any buttons unless prompted to.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Sindai posted:

I want to help but don't really understand the question. You think there's an invisible button prompt for triggering the chance to upgrade some of the heat moves? I thought it was just a matter of using them enough because i certainly wasn't hitting any buttons unless prompted to.

There's a couple upgrades for each character after you break through the level cap that give you X benefit (not flinching from attacks, extra damage, guard break, more HEAT gain) when you hit the next button in a combo (Square or Triangle) with the right timing. What is the right timing?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Just starting the finale, I love how Purgatory and the Coliseum are still around and still kinda lovably stupid as a concept.

E: "OK, the only way the plot of this game will make sense is if we all combine our cool guy powers and have a sick helipad battle!" This is the best villain plan.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 15, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
According to this, 6

- will have no load times anywhere

- "will not have uncertain hitboxes, but to give you a hint, we have made it so you can't ever put out the same attack motion twice"

The first one is probably the result of it being PS4 only this time, but what could that second one mean?

edit: I'll believe that they are fundamentally changing combat when I see it, and not before. It could just be some cosmetic thing.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 17, 2016

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Finished the game and started Premium Adventuring around. I really liked the ending, especially Akiyama apparently becoming King of the Pirates and Haruka appearing out of nowhere, angelically, to see to Kaz. Some of the costumes for Premium Adventure are kinda weird, but I like how you can cosplay all the guys as each other. Is there any point to visiting each other's towns? I mean I guess if you wanted to go sea-fishing with Akiyama or whatever.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Going to nagoya as kiryu is a deeply moving experience because there are no yakuza there.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Samurai Sanders posted:

According to this, 6

- will have no load times anywhere

- "will not have uncertain hitboxes, but to give you a hint, we have made it so you can't ever put out the same attack motion twice"
edit: I'll believe that they are fundamentally changing combat when I see it, and not before. It could just be some cosmetic thing.

Can't really think of a game that's changed only the animation for the basic combo attack based on multiple times you've done it except for maybe Batman. Be pretty cool even if it's just a comestic animation then remaking the pace of combat.

Sure would have helped God of War. Oddly I do feel like Kratos sometimes when I'm playing as Kiriyu

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I hope Akiyama returns and is given a one hundred kick combo. The current twenty kick combo is not enough kicks.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Can't really think of a game that's changed only the animation for the basic combo attack based on multiple times you've done it except for maybe Batman. Be pretty cool even if it's just a comestic animation then remaking the pace of combat.
If it does go that way, I do hope that it doesn't go the Batman route entirely though, I still want to have control over what kind of attack I do, rather than leaving it entirely to the AI.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Not Operator posted:

Also handshake events would be less gross if it were other teenagers or younger kids rather than a parade of middle aged men, but I guess that's probably a reflection on the reality?
Never understood why it was only dudes lining up either what with all the talk of idols inspiring the next generation of youths who will aim to become one. Maybe they couldn't be assed to make some child character models?

Saoshyant posted:

Thanks, now I'm picturing Haruka going oishii!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Haruka will be what, 19 or 20 in Yakuza 6, right? Occasionally cutting to her as a university student on the Sky Finance Scholarship could be good.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
That was a Good rear end final boss fight, despite coming right the gently caress out of nowhere.

E: that ending :smith:

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 19, 2016

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
After 3 Yakuza games, I finally got a perfect score on a karaoke song! :hellyeah: Man, Akiyama is as hilariously bad a singer as Saejima.

My feelings on the manzai comedy sidequest (I still haven't finished all 3):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I'm only halfway through his part, but is it ever explained where / how Shinada learned to fight?

For that matter, is it ever explained in 4 how Akiyama learned to fight?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dunban posted:

I'm only halfway through his part, but is it ever explained where / how Shinada learned to fight?

For that matter, is it ever explained in 4 how Akiyama learned to fight?
In these games, fighting ability just flows from your awesomeness as a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Fighting ability scales with self-confidence, just like in real life.

Sure, training and experience help a little, but nothing will make you strong like the self assured knowledge that you're the best moneylender or baseball man in the country.

edit: When I worked as a baker, I consistently made the prettiest looking cakes, and for this reason just knew I could destroy my coworkers.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 19, 2016

• Locked thread