Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Egomaniac posted:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the whole "GTA-clone" image came from Sega's marketing for the first game's western release. They thought that would have more appeal or something. So naturally the series was hamstring in the west on Day One because the people who bought it were mostly disappointed GTA fans and the people who actually would've loved it stayed away thinking it wasn't for them.

Well it just needs the ability to beat up civies for money and outside of OF THE END, allow you to actually kill petty thugs rather than "beaten to a pulp". GTA's other appeal is always the fact you can vent your anger to the apathetic and materialistic citizens who didn't expect to shoot them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Surlaw posted:

I specifically like that Yakuza does not allow this. It's nice to play an open world type of game where you're not a psychopath for once. It would be horribly out of character to let you murder innocent people for being "materialistic."

What I meant by materialistic is that the pedestrians in GTA are totally unlikable. None of them are genuine good people who tries to make their life better for others but consist of the following:

-Pretentious upper class who treats theft as dropping a penny on the ground. Rarely do you see an average joe who is just trying to earn enough money for necessities.
-Destitute drunks and addicts who does little to improve their social status
-The law enforcement who is corrupt at best and trigger happy at worst.

Most of all, the peds in GTA are extremely rude and impolite.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

No one dies in Yakuza unless they go against the serie's weird morale system, so unless Goro killed someone cold blooded it's probably another too elaborate and complext plot.

Even if they are shot with guns? Why is Yakuza so much less lethal than most Crime Sandboxes where optimistically you only have 100 deaths minimum and can go up to a small town's worth of bodies in games like GTA and Saints Row.

Also Kiryu is small time, Tatsuya can serve a mad helping of Gelato, act as a Ramen Chef, cook street food and be paid by the platter, greet and serve hostess club members or shove down overenthusiastic patrons at the tantra strip club.

And grab burgers down a conveyor belt. I wish GTA was more like that, do average day jobs for huge amounts of cash.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 22, 2012

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

Other crime sandbox games are for adolescents. Yakuza is for men. Manly men. The manliest of men. :colbert:

I guess, I mean in Grand Theft Auto, people die all the time from your average joe to the big name gang members. Yet in Yakuza, the deathcount is extremely low by crime drama standards. But then again, Japanese Version of Sleeping Dogs frowns upon the idea of committing a rampage.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Skeezy posted:

I'm surprised this happened. I know it's Famitsu and all but still, that's cool.

Well GJ Sega, too bad it is unlikely to come over here.

Also, Kurohyou 2 was simply giving you a small taste of Soutenboori for Yakuza 5. I still have fond memories of going to Kani Douraku in the game, crab, crab and more crab.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Although I was thinking about Kani Doraku, why do people like product placement in Yakuza vs GTA where people never want to see the GTA universe feel a bit more like a "real" city. From ads for cell phones and drinks to real life restaurants ranging from McDonalds to LA's more upscale restaurant

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Looking at Yakuza 5's restaurants got me thinking...why can Yakuza do real life placements while GTA never does that and fans of GTA are quick to reject any idea of that.

I mean I saw the debut of Gyoza no Osho, Sumire Ramen (known for the Miso Ramen with that signature hot oil)

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Zettace posted:

Also, in Yakuza you can't attack civilians. Obviously, massacring tons of innocents is not something companies want to be associated with.

What about Halo and it's gamer fuel ads? Surely by now we are thicker skinned and can self roast ourselves

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I agree completely, and it also makes it a lot easier from a legal standpoint. There's nothing illegal about having the McDonald's logo in your game without McDonalds' permission, but if you have a McDonald's store that a player can interact with in a way that McDonalds feels is an inaccurate, damaging representation of their restaurants, then things could get tricky. As you said, the GTA games are essentially parodies, and there's no way they'd ever want to actually portray a McDonalds in a way that the company would decide not to sue over, and if they entered into a licensing agreement, you'd get a clean restaurant full of slim people with polite, eloquent staff, and that doesn't jive with the Rockstar caricature of America.

It's one thing when Kiryu walks into a whiskey bar and is served a glass of Yamazaki 12 year, but that's because the public perception of that product isn't too far out of line with the manufacturer's advertising and the overall tone of the game. McDonald's advertising clashes so dramatically with both the public perception of their food and the tone of a GTA that there's no way it would make sense to actually put that in a Rockstar game. Yakuza is a series where the world is muted and realistic, but the characters are outrageous crazy caricatures. GTA, especially with 4, prefers believable characters in a completely outrageous world, and there's just no way to portray major brands in that kind of world without being borderline libelous.

It's kind of like how racing games with really good damage models don't use real cars because all a manufacturer would have to do to win a suit is to demonstrate that not all of the collisions produce realistic damage 100% of the time. Instead they either go the GTA/Burnout route with fake cars or they go the Forza route with licensing deals and magical cars that never pancake when they hit oncoming traffic.

I think what I'm really trying to say here is that Suntory makes some really good whiskeys.

I think nowadays they are used to having insults hurled at them from YT videos to animal rights groups. They are a lot more thick skinned now than ever. It also will act as "good PR" in the sense that they are willing to let themselves take a bit of self depreciation. In the end the core audience will ultimate come and eat at their place.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

In that case, wouldn't it be the next customer in line who would have that yellow and then red outline around them, and not the bouncer? That's what I thought it was at first, that would have made sense.

Also I just noticed that Haruka has weapon and armor equip slots.

edit: I've been trying to take Haruka into every shop I can, just to see what will happen.

bars: she can go in but the bartender won't serve her
hostess clubs: "If someone sees me go in there, there will be big trouble!"
arcades: she can waste her youth playing vf2 all she wants
karaoke: she can go in but only do the backup singing/percussion?
pachinko: "I don't think I'm old enough for this yet"
fancy restaurants: she can go in and order as usual, I guess that doesn't seem odd to anyone?

Well to be fair, the restaurant part, they think Haruka is just some trust fund brat and wants her money.

And on the hostess club part that was part of chapter 9's series of dickery the Kamuro Home Sec pulled on the Hostess Clubs, by claiming they are under 20

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Quiet Python posted:

Well, Haruka isn't a little girl any more. She's a teenager and will eventually become an adult. Once she grows up, perhaps Kiryu will teach her a few of the myriad ways of destroying a man so that she can safely walk the streets of Kamurocho.

"If a man gets fresh with you, Haruka, you twist his wrist like this and then throw him to the ground. Be sure to continue kicking him while he's down, since that's why you knocked him down in the first place. Use your own discretion to determine when he's had enough."

Another option could be to have a side plot where Haruka is starring in an action movie and all of her "fights" are with stuntmen. That way if she loses a fight, it's a "re-shoot" and not a "game over".

That reminds me of Saki, Tatsuya's personal coach. She is one hell of an Akido fighter. Snapping wrists and legs of guys trying to hit on her.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Finally finished Kuro Hyou 2 at last...drat it feels good, now I got to max out all of the skills and do the extra content items.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
One thing that interested me was in Kurohyou, because Tatsuya is not within the legal drinking age of 21 in Japan the hostess clubs offer Tatsuya non alcoholic beverages such as fruit juice and tea. Does it also apply to real life hostess clubs in Japan where the patron in question is old enough to go to the Hostess club but not old enough to drink?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I doubt it, I think Japan has some kind of cultural thing about portraying underage people drinking (and only drinking, not other vices) in the media. There is definitely underage drinking in Japan though, it;s apparently easy to do in karaoke shops. As long as you aren't being dumb like wearing your school uniform or something, they'll serve you alcohol.

Still, Tatsuya may smoke but he never drinks alcohol with the hostesses, only juice, tea and virgin cocktail.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Policenaut posted:

No XSEED has no time, they have to localize a series of JRPGs that will never sell and figure out who's going to buy them.

Meanwile NISA keeps localizing awful JRPGs thhat reviewers slam. It is a sad world

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
http://yakuzafan.com/post/62617991224/sega-has-shut-down-all-official-yakuza-sub-sites

It's official, SEGA's abandoned us all. Just like how Capcom abandoned us on Gundam VS.

Meanwhile, someone decides to have a case of sour grapes

quote:

Like just to reiterate what was said on the last page, no Yakuza game has sold particularly well in the west, and each subsequent release has performed less well than the last despite each subsequent localisation being more complete and of higher quality. They tried very hard and the market just didn't want it. That sucks but isn't on SEGA.

Goddamnit, while games like Neptunia keep coming over like a bad stomach flu, good games are being denied to us.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Volfogg posted:

I think he meant to type Shinsho, which means he'd be talking about Kurohyo: Ryu ga Gotoku Shinsho, Black Panther, which was the first PSP Spinoff. To my knowledge, nobody's really said much about the two Black Panther games aside from that fact that they exist.

I played through it ss well. And if Tatyuya is a thug for Kuki why they dont make him do thug side jobs instead of working a legit day job?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

Remember, like, six months ago when some guy at Sony Third Party Productions hinted at games like Yakuza coming over? While I wouldn't get my hopes up, I'm sure they have something ready at E3. If it's related to Yakuza? We'll just have to wait and see. Hell, we might even see Shenmue 3, but again, hopes.

edit: Speaking of Shenmue, on top of recent developments, this might have just confirmed its existence. Funny how someone would just sort of imply that out. :shrug:

We are more likely to get offensive games from Idea Factory or whatever shovelware that NISA localizes than a good Japanese games. The good times are over for us.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

It appears that the market for moe stuff from Japan is bigger than the market for manly stuff from Japan.

Which only gets more depressing as Sega looks at how the internet reviews seem to have it in for Japan. Everytime Nisa localizes more trash is a less likely chance of good japanese games coming over

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Still can't believe Ishin isn't coming out here. :(

Welcome to the new tens. Where Japanese companies worth a drat hates Gaijin money while SJW offending crap from lovely companies like CH comes overseas while Sega gives you the finger.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Reo posted:

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for keeping this thread alive and finally getting me to try out Yakuza. I've now played 3, 4, and Dead Souls (the PS3 ones). I even 100% completed 4. Great games, and I am now saddened that 5 is never coming to the US.

Thank NISA and lovely game companies as well for ruining the hopes even further. While lovely fanservice crap like SK and Neptunia comes over here. Good games like Yakuza 5 will never see foreign shores and SEGA is probably looking at how SJWs are trashing the Japanese games and thinks the market is even colder.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Lost Rivell posted:

There's a lot of things that go into it -- do you want to license all the various forms of snacks and alcohol that you can ingest during the game, or do you make fake off-brands and make new textures for all the packages? If a minor celebrity allowed you to use their likeness in the game, does their contract permit use in other countries or does it need renegotiation? Things like that. Also, the game might require substantial reprogramming and bugfixing to allow the English text to actually be inserted. As silly as it is, it wouldn't surprise me if Sega has been making these games without thinking about foreign release, despite how vocal the fans are about them.

The alternative is letting NISA piss away Japanese goodwill with creepyshit. People are dying for a decent Japanese game that doesnt offend their tastes

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think the NA advertising (lack of) and the packaging utterly failed to convey that this is one of the best game series ever.

Throw in the recent fiasco involving Gearbox damaging what faith SEGA had in the US. Meanwhile SJW offending poo poo comes over and sucks up what consumer income for entertainment people have left. Thanks NISA and Gearbox!

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Yakuza: blame NISA.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

straight jerkers posted:

It isn't NISA's fault that Yakuza games cost a lot to translate and sell poorly. If anything Sega should probably be trying to figure out how NISA and XSEED pull it off since most of what they publish are big, ridiculous, text-heavy, super-niche JRPGs and they seem to be doing alright.

They have a dedicated group of fans buying it on creeper appeal and spiting the industry. It is sort of like order a bucket of something that causes noses to turn and eating it and then belching in front of their faces.

That is why jidols are also popular.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Yechezkel posted:

Hopefully, they won't use the same intro yet again where Kiryu is away from the clan but something happens that drags him back to it. That's how 3, 4, and 5 started with him, if I remember right.

Or maybe this is another game of historical fiction. Have any hints leaked out yet?

Could also be a Kurohyou sequel. Pefect timing for it it.

And for the record NISA doesnt do anyone favors by making an rear end of Japanese gaming by giving gaming journalism fuel on how creepy Japan is. You cant buy political opinions with money in gaming journalism

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 1, 2014

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Killer is Dead was pretty fantastic though and the weird date crap was entirely skippable if I remember right?

Either way yeah, it's mind boggling that there's a pretty enormous blaring fix to their screw-ups that they refuse to even look at. PSN exists, your game will likely get more exposure on there than it will just tossed down on a random gamestop shelf, please get with the mildly modern times and use digital distribution.

Japan is like that fancy restaurant that refuses to let you take home leftovers.

And if you post any photos or reviews on yelp/dineout/urbanspoon they will sue you.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Crabtree posted:

It's partially murky, but it's still proving that even creeper elements in a good Grasshopper game can sell in the west if Japanese devs simply attempt to bring their games over. There is such a dearth of Japanese titles that Kickstarter experiments and known knock-offs are profiting off of old dogs like SEGA being too scared to try anymore.

It's depressing that the only devs brave enough to try are those simply taking their over-niched game to the west, like Conception 2, and making a mint for being some of the only Japanese games coming out. Soon it won't be "The West doesn't want it", It'll be "The West only wants turbo nerd games". :(

Exactly, they are not doing Japan any favors. Especially in this social climate where journalists are no longer just bribed, they have to be courted politically or you will be lumped with the horrible crowd of nerds who doesn't understand their social behavior patterns is horrible.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Still companies like NISA and Xseed doesmt help Japans reputation and only justifiez Sega's argument that the western reviewers hates Japan.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

oblomov posted:

Ok, admittedly, it probably takes 1/10th the translation time to localize Dynasty Warriors vs Yakuza proper. Oh, and all NISA and Xseed prove is that you can make a profit localizing fairly niche games.

Niche games that do Japan no favors in given more respect.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

mikeycp posted:

So it's almost certain that it won't do jack poo poo, but this is a thing people are doing that I thought may interest this thread.

It's a letter writing campaign.

I'll probably write a couple.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?514621-08-01-2014-Day-of-the-Dragon

Sega wont give a poo poo about your little Operation Rainfall. Sega has a lot more at stake than the OR titles companies. I would buy a console for RNG but SEGA and capcom have forsaken us.

Nisa and xseed pissing away Japan's rep over the years doesnt help either

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Surlaw posted:

Blaming every company but Sega for the Yakuza games not coming over here is getting really old and dumb.

The blame is aimed at all sides but Nisa and Xseed isnt helping with Nisa publishing shovelware

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Surlaw posted:

The existence of dumb shovelware from other companies is not why Yakuza 5 does not have an English release.

It is, I will give you a process of how NISA adds to the problem.

-Shovelware companies peddles trash -> It gets slammed in reviews from SJW type reviewers -> People gets disillusioned with Japan and starts viewing them as a pariah nation -> Reviewers wanting more hits slams more Japanese games regardless of company -> Big Companies see the market as a whole as unsuitable for big fish and refuses to market or localize their games. -> Small companies continues business by milking desperate tall fandom thirsty for Japanese games.

This is also why Gundam VS will never come over here again after IGN ripped them a new one.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 17, 2014

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

You are delusional and stupid.

More like angry and bitter at how crap from NISA and XSEED keeps coming over here while good games like Yakuza and SB4 isn't because Capcom and SEGA are more sensitive to the opinions of Journalism than the pedo pandering crap from Compile Heart who can live on the wallets of a tall fandom.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Actual Yakuza organizations are more internationally minded than SEGA. :negative:

Let's not pretend people weren't praying for miracles out of Bamco until Graces F showed them that people outside of Europe wanted good Tales games. SEGA wasn't the only company afraid that their own efforts would be wasted, it just currently the only company that apparently can't do anything to remedy this because its Western branch is deader than Dead Souls.

They may pull a Capcom and just give up on us like what they did with the Gundam VS series.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Who's ready to do this poo poo again?

The newest Yakuza title will be unveiled on August 24th. From what I can gather, only the game's title and "visual" will be revealed, and the rest is presumably coming to Tokyo Game Show the following month. Could it be a new PS3 game? Is Team Yakuza making the jump to PS4? Or is this that weird Vita game they said they were making like 2 years ago and haven't brought up.

Oh, and Atlus reps met with Sega and Nagoshi to talk about their title line-up over the next three years and possible collaborations.

So, anyone import ISHIN! yet? I'm probably going to plunk down the cash because holy poo poo the game is only $40 used now for PS4 on eBay.

Probably a Persona tie in. Remember, SEGA like Capcom has given up on the west completely and made sure anyone who tries to follow be punished for being a international fan.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Ryoga posted:

Don't worry about it too much. It's well established by now the gyrobot is some kind of conspiracy theorist.

I consider myself a spiteful NISA and Compile Heart hater in whom to focus my hate on.

And most former fans of Japanese pop culture often take it out on creepy fandoms to be honest. I wish I still had that quote from some guy who talks about Japan's lovely tastes.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah...I only consider Compile Heart responsible for their OWN games being bad, and the solution to that is simple.

I am more resentful of the drought of worthwhile Japanese games Compile Heart is causing by giving Japanese games a bad name in general.

And here I thought Zorak had created a mindset in that SA hates creepy pandering games and anime.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 9, 2014

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/akibas-trip-undead-and-undressed-review/1900-6415846/

This certainly doesn't inspire confidence in SEGA or Capcomin thinking the west wants their games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

mikeycp posted:

The XSEED conspiracy continues.

I am just a concerned fan who believes this isn't helping Japan's reputation as a country do any better. We could be having good music but instead we get creepy idol pandering stuff that caters not to men with sensible music taste for their age but kiddy crap, the Japanese gaming industry isn't doing much better with poo poo like this.

• Locked thread