Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Policenaut posted:

THEY'RE REMAKING YAKUZA 1 FOR PS4
That's disappointing to hear. They just can't let go of Kiryu huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Policenaut posted:

YAKUZA 6 AS PS4 EXCLUSIVE

Volfogg posted:

AND IT'S PS3/PS4!

AND YAKUZA 6 IS ALREADY IN THE WORKS AS A PS4 EXCLUSIVE NEXT AUTUMN!
Suddenly, disappointment subsided!

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Considering that Y1 was the most difficult of the main games... who's ready for "extreme" Komaki's Training? :getin:

abagofcheetos posted:

Games like Ishin have so little chance of being translated I'm not even considering them a possibility, nor would I ever want them to bother. They would translate Ishin, it would sell negative copies somehow, and we wouldn't see another Yakuza game again.

Policenaut posted:

You should throw any of the spinoffs and HD remasters in the can, so that way you're only down Zero, Kiwami, and 6.
Agreed though that still leaves us 3 games behind after Y5 drops. Unless they can put out localized releases of both 0 and 1K in 2016 we're still going to be far behind. :(

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Totally convinced at this point that Sega/Sony are waiting on a Trails in the Sky SC release date so they can announce Yakuza 5 comes out on the same date and leave me conflicted as to which I should play first. :tinfoil:

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Are they still working on it, or has the game gone gold, or what? Strikes me as a little odd for it to not be done-done approximately a month from release. Ah well, here's hoping nothing else disastrous pops up during QA/Cert (assuming those aren't done).

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

precision posted:

I do wonder if the pre-order numbers met, did not meet, or exceeded their expectations.

Sony's, I mean, not Sega's, because I'm sure Sega expected 500,000 pre-orders or something.
Do the PSN stores still have ratings? Can pre-orders be rated? Anybody dare load up the store on their PS3 to find out and if so see how many Yakuza 5 has?

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Just finished off 5 myself. That was 64 hours of... something. I'm going to rashly say this one was my second to least favorite.

Stelas posted:

Whoever decided to gate Shinada's training behind the loving UFO catcher machines needs to be thrown off the Yakuza 0 team.
This goes for the "eat a food good for the eyes but I'm not telling you which food" training as well. Got tired of getting into battles to purposely lose health in order to hit up restaurants trying to find that one elusive meal.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Policenaut posted:

I still am kind of baffled that they keep including the meals for completion but offering no way to easily eat them. In previous games, you could go on a date and it'd let you order as much food as you could afford but they fixed that for this one so sometimes I just get into fights and do nothing for a minute so I take enough damage to get something out of it.
At least they stopped doing the whole morning/night menu thing. Still haven't 100%'d Yakuza 2's food list because of how few opportunities there are to get the morning meals.

Stelas posted:

The strawberry parfait at Cafe Alps specifically mentions the compounds he talks about in its description.
I cleaned out that places whole menu and unless I was advancing text really fast Shinada didn't say a thing about it. I mean it's still my fault for not reading every piece of foods description, but for all the babying 5 does my expectations were set on it mentioning I had completed "x task".

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
After doing some thinking and toying around in premium adventure mode, I feel Yakuza 5 is a bit of a disjointed trainwreck in many ways and this is without bringing up the plot.

There are four different collectibles, right? Why is it to collect Lottery Tickets you need only walk/run over them? That's great and how it should be for all of them. Instead, you have to press a button for Garbage, Map Pieces, and Locker Keys. Why? And why must we continue to sit through the archaic 'crouch down to get key then slowly rise back up' animations?

Then there's getting enough exp to level up after clearing a substory. You have to sit there and wait about 10 full seconds until the X button prompt shows up in the dialogue window so you can move on.

It's great that they removed material farming and weapon mods, but in its place they added weapon leveling and paying to level up the weapon shop which are whole new levels of unnecessary bloat/padding.

Two of the three new cities are hampered by invisible walls, and all of them are hampered by lacking in shortcuts between blocks.

Even the brawling is kind of made more annoying with the addition of Climax Heat and its easy, often unwanted activation. It's a decently fun game but boy is it far more flawed than most of the previous ones. I don't even know if I should be "hype" for Yakuza 0 after playing 5.

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I eventually got the accessory that gives your opponents better drops, which was a big help to my sanity.
The very first drop I got with that equipped was 500 yen... This was in the finale and up to that point I had never gotten less than the 1000 yen drop. :(

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

precision posted:

I would hope or assume that those annoying interface issues (the quest XP one really is annoying) will be ironed out with Y0 since it's on a new console. With 4 and 5 they very obviously used all their budget making content rather than bothering to change anything about the actual engine.

But yeah gently caress those invisible walls. Saejima's town is just shameful.
I'd read that 5 used a new game engine though? Some of these shortcomings may have been them unable to iron out the kinks, but they really make the game come across as feeling pretty shabby. Y0 uses the same engine and was also released on PS3, so my hope there isn't that high. Maybe the PS4 version will feel better by default of being on a new console?

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

They really didn't though. They could have tied it into the existing games in so many other ways, but it's like they made a clear decision not to and instead went off on weird tangents.

edit: I assume Kiwami will add a bunch of stuff to tie up loose ends from Zero, making it less focused as well.
So what you're saying is we won't see or hear about Park / Katsuya in 0 and that all of this buildup of Majima's past was for nothing?

I appreciate this series not having cheesy sequel bait hooks tacked onto each games ending, but having them tie into one another somewhat wouldn't be a bad thing. It maybe helps 6 in that virtually nobody in 5 got killed off so just maybe some of the new people can show up as a recurring character and actually be involved in the plot?

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Not Operator posted:

Also handshake events would be less gross if it were other teenagers or younger kids rather than a parade of middle aged men, but I guess that's probably a reflection on the reality?
Never understood why it was only dudes lining up either what with all the talk of idols inspiring the next generation of youths who will aim to become one. Maybe they couldn't be assed to make some child character models?

Saoshyant posted:

One day Haruka will realize she could be a pretty good lawyer. Or a chef. Or anything else for that matter.
Thanks, now I'm picturing Haruka going oishii!

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

7 hours in and it doesn't even have half as many enemies per turn, so it's a vast improvement IMHO. You are chiefly playing it for fanservice, though.
This is all very true. Pacing is faster, story more focused, dialogue through the roof, and enemies no longer damage sponges.

Japanese Phone Box posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWz9VN40nCA
please sega please physical release

e:Dan Sheridan 22 March, 2016 @ 2:38 pm 1.1
Yakuza 0 will be available as a physical & digital release.

I hope they keep their promise
e2: might be euro only but I do not care.
I believe it was confirmed for physical relases in north america as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
As a new PS4 owner I'll happily be playing Yakuza 0 in a month also. With that said however I now see why I didn't buy the console until now, as every game I'm playing and will be playing on it for some time to come are games I have or could have played on the PS3 haha. Thank goodness 0 / Kiwami / 6 are getting physical releases as it took ages to download 5 and that's not something I want to go through again!

• Locked thread