Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Can you dress up like Conan in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I just got this game today and I've already played a few hours of it. It's pretty drat confusing at first but it's also awesome. I like how most fights with big monsters start off with you scared shitless of them, then eventually end in you feeling like a huge bastard as you ram your flaming greatsword into a blinded cyclops's gooch. Or when one of your pawns is holding up a squirming goblin and you run him through.

Most people's pawns do seem like creepy pedo-bait. My pawn is an old, tiny mage called Morlon who follows my giant conan style warrior dude around casting spells (generally the wrong ones) and getting batted off ramparts by charging cyclopses.

I wish the screenshot facility let you take higher res shots, mine looked great on the PS3 but when I copied them over to my memory stick they look muddy and hideous on the PC.

Here's my dude and Morlon in the background, and that's the picture after I did some work on it in GIMP to make them at all visible. It was a daylight shot too.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Lotish posted:

What cloak is that? That looks like a brown version of the Farewell Cape.

It's called leather cape or something and I got it out of a chest on the beach just outside the starting village. It's got terrible stats but it looks super cool compared to any of the capes at the shop.

Incidentally does the shop ever get new stuff and is there more than one city?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Am I boning myself by staying as one class? I just found out about the whole augments thing, but I don't really want to have to buy a whole new set of gear.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

If I go and talk to the duke will it end all of my sidequests? Also is it close to the end of the game cause it sounds kind of serious and final. I'm guessing it isn't but I dunno it could be a really short game or something.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

WuChou posted:

It will end everything except those of the "Kill/Collect #of Things" variety. So clean up any real side quests you want to get done. You've got a lot of game left to go, though, so don't worry there. :)

I've got all the wyrmhunt guy quests done and done a couple in town like the book and the noble dude, I haven't found any more yet but I haven't explored much of the map. Should I go and find more sidequests out in the world before I meet the duke?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I did the Idol Worship quest and did I gently caress up by handing in the silver idol? I mean, a silver idol usually implies the presence of a gold and bronze idol, if not to say some kind of crazy super diamond idol. Should I have waited to get one of those? The weapons I got in the shop as my 'reward' are super lovely elemental damage things so I was just wondering if I could have got better stuff.

Also, how many travelling merchants are there? I've only met one so far and I'm up to level 34 so I was expecting to see some more merchants by now.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Well, I'm more interested in armour than in weapons so I guess I'm glad about that. Where do I meet madeleine?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Lotish posted:

If you've done Chasing Shadows she should have opened a shop right next door to the Black Cat.

Oh I haven't done that one yet I've only got as far as the griffin.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

Chasing Shadows is long before the Griffin. In fact I think you may have already permanently missed it.

Ah poo poo, I guess I'm gonna have to start again then.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

Why not just wait it out until NG+? She sells some nice stuff but nothing important.

Well, I'm in luck, I looked up that quest and turns out I did it, I just never went back to the house. Phew. Now to find another idol.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Bleargh looks like I missed out on the gold idol quest cause I did that stupid bastard trial quest. I always feel like I should read a wiki before I do anything at all in these games.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

It hurts a little more cause you can't have multiple characters for some stupid reason.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

The assassin is my new favourite class, for two reasons.

The first is the powder charge. I blew up an ogre's rear end, then when he fell over I blew up his face and he charged around with his head and rear end on fire.

The second is intimate strike, because it has an extremely hilarious name and is perfect for stabbing big monsters right in the gooch.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I'm having trouble deciding on skills to slot on my assassin, it's hard to tell from the descriptions which skills are really good so at the moment I'm just using what I find fun. I tend to switch between daggers and sword a lot depending on the situation but I almost always have my bow equipped.

At the moment on my sword I have Intimate Gambit, Gouge and Powder Blast. Powder blast is hilarious and seems to do great damage, intimate gambit seems pretty brutal and it doesn't throw people around so I can get more attacks in in a row and I'm kind of just testing gouge and it seems pretty effective but I don't like that it's only usable on giant creatures which means I lose a slot for fighting small poo poo.

My daggers have hundred kisses, cutting wind and stealth at the moment. I haven't used stealth much but it seems like it matches up well with the solo and unprepared enemy augments and the other two are just there cause I've always had them and nothing else really grabs me out of the other available skills.

With my bow I use fivefold flurry, the 5 shot spread skill and mighty bend. I only really use mighty bend and fivefold flurry out of the two, and mighty bend mostly for picking off hobgoblins and bandits and the odd cyclops eye. I've not found the bow to be a great damage dealer so far so it's mostly relegated to picking off little enemies and setting fire to griffin wings.

Really I'm just looking for advice on which skills are great and what augments work well together as at the moment I just have a weird mix of strider and assassin augments with the warrior damage reduction.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Say I wanted to make a sorceror, would it gently caress up my stat progression if I got mage to 9 first to get the half damage while casting augment?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Brontide is my new favourite ability. Not because it is particularly great, but because it is super cool.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

What the hell makes vocations rank up? I've been 8 mage forever and I just want to get 9 so I can get my dang augment and switch to sorceror, the class I actually want to play.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Well I guess I should go kill a bunch of lizard guys or skeletons so I can get my last mage pip before I get really high level.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Why the hell does Lost and Found automatically fail as soon as you go and talk to the pawn guild guy in gran soren?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Stelas posted:

The 'Find Quina in the Witchwood' quest most people have been missing is accessible immediately after you first take the first guy (Rook?) to the Encampment. If you turn around and head back towards Cassardis, you'll get collared right outside the Encampment gate and told about it.

vvv Most sidequests (the ones you get by talking to people, as opposed to notice board quests) have an expiration date, which is usually a couple of plot points along. Talking to the Pawn Guy finishes off 'A Matter Of Myrmidons' and cancels a bunch of early-game ones.

It'd be nice if they gave you some kind of warning as it's totally loving abitrary as far as I can see. I mean I tried to go to witchwood right after getting it, but I got my rear end kicked by an army of bandits so I thought the logical thing would be to go to the city and get some levels and loot and go back to it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I was feeling pretty disappointed with sorceror today, all the spells seem like they're a slow and difficult charge with a payoff that is about half the damage I could have done with my assassin in that time. Plus bandits and dire wolves poo poo all over me and there's nothing I can do about it.

But then I met the drake. I was just planning to go over to the shadow fort to do an idol quest when that fucker attacked me. And of course, it coincided with a friggin army of hobgoblins crawling out of the woodwork to gently caress with me. I sent the pawns in and fell back. I dodge behind a tree to keep out of the flamebreath and goblin throwing weapons and start charging up a bolide. Pretty soon all the goblins are either blown to hell and the stragglers get flung into the sky by an army of pissed off ghost heads and popped.

Which leaves the drake, who has systematically murdered me on every character I've tried so far. I start to run, but I think no, gently caress you drake. gently caress you and your latin.

So while he is grabbing on my pawn and whispering sweet nothings into his ear, I charge up gicel, which when I tried it out on the golem by blue moon tower seemed intensely lovely, and in the past it has failed to kill a skeleton mage, but here for whatever reason it really jacked the dragon up and he went rolling around on the floor throwing a huge fit. Then I busted out my electric whip and went to town on his heart.

From there I just rinsed and repeated, dodging around between the trees and knocking the drake over with my gicel when he was grabbing someone or trying to fly off then electric whipping him. What was really cool was when the pawns got possessed I could take them and the drake down with one gicel.

When I finally took the drake down I just felt super jazzed, which is a feeling I've basically only got from Monster Hunter before. My dude is only level 30-something and I don't have sorceror maxed yet and previously I've not even been able to get a bar off the drake with another class yet so it was pretty rad.

I'm hoping though that sorceror gets a little better soon cause right now it is just ridiculous having my charge ruined by one bandit arrow and having no abilities that give me any breather room vs those stupid cutting wind bandits or dire wolves.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Do caster classes ever get any cool hats? Right now my dude has been wearing the incognito hood for the whole game cause it makes him look like an old-school comic book villain, but it's getting pretty boring. I'm up to the crowned hood level of gear but that looks retarded and I only have one available shop now cause Madeleine hosed off somewhere after getting accussed of selling banned goods and now I can't find her.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Where do I get the rad as heck robes the guy is wearing in this video.

Also the friggin ur-dragon won't turn up for me and it's kind of annoying, I went in his house and he was all SO BE IT MORTAL then just never landed.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How often does the Ur-Dragon get killed on the PS3? When I tried fighting him this morning he was on super low health and I guess I missed him dying cause when I went to look he was back to full.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I've reached the post-game and I'm finding it ridiculously easy as a sorceror. None of the new stuff is challenging at all apart from the Ur-Dragon and my gameplay has basically become find a safe place to cast -> everything dies. I'm thinking of starting a new character, but I still like magic. How fun is mystic knight in how the skills work together? Is it more involved than sorceror without being terrible?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I'm making a mystic knight, because I want to hit people really hard in the face with a mace, and I'm wondering how important the higher up sorceror augments are to having a good mystic knight. I ask purely because my last character was a sorceror and getting another to level 9 does not appeal. I'm not too bugged by getting fighter or warrior levels, but sorceror sucks until you invest a lot of points into the really good skills.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

You don't need the augments for smacking people as a mystic knight. Most shield enchantments have really quick cast times, it's the (admittedly great) offensive magic and party-wide weapon enchants that takes forever to cast.

I'm tempted to write a guide to building mystic knights and magic archers, but I'm only familiar with like 2/3rds of the skill sets of each. :v:

How long are we talking about? Longer than sorceror stuff? Cause after sorceror, coming back to warrior and trying that indomitable slash skill that I recall taking about 20 seconds to charge up shoots up there like nothing. I wonder how fast arc of deliverance's charge feels now.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

This might sound retarded but how do you perfect block? I'm guessing it's like in dark souls where you block the instant they are hitting you, but so far I've been doing that and it's not been working.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Seriously how do you perfect block? I can't find it anywhere on the net and it's not in the manual and from the skill video he just blocks through the whole goblin attack, and in practice I cant' get it to work by blocking the instant before they hit me, and as I was poo poo hot at riposting in dark souls I don't think I'm just loving it up.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

tooooooo bad posted:

You do exactly what you describe. :shobon:
You need the core skill Deflect or Reflect depending on your vocation to get the full effect.

Is that what does the force push thing they show in the video? So far I've noticed that during some of my attempts to perfect block I've set people on fire, but I don't see any fireball shoot out so I'm not sure if it's just a random effect of fire riposte or if I'm actually perfect blocking. Same with holy riposte, sometimes it seems a bit like something else happens, but if it does it hits what I blocked instantly so I can't see it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

tooooooo bad posted:

Any time you block with your mystic shield enchanted you'll get some kind of effect, like setting people on fire. It's in the skill description. Perfect blocks cause the fireball, and you need Reflect to do them.

Oh my god, I bought reflect.

I guess it doesn't work at all until you buy that skill. Now every loving block I attempt is a perfect block, the time window is so large with the fighter augment. I nearly went crazy trying to perfect block and it turned out that it seemed impossible because it was friggin impossible until you buy that skill, which should really be loving called perfect block instead of reflect.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Morlon, the tiny ancient mage, never gets hired. He's been hired by literally 2 people ever and one of those is my friend.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I started my mystic knight out as a fighter then moved to warrior then to mystic knight, which means he's a defensive and physical damage powerhouse but his magic cannon and ruinous sigil have suffered for it. Will the magic attack stats I gain from levelling as mystic knight bring them up to a decent level of damage or do I need to go sorceror?

edit: I was kind of annoyed today, I was really loving up the quest griffon and I had it down to 3/4 of a bar of life and it was lying on the ground, on fire, with a ruinous sigil hitting it in the face when it suddenly teleports into the air and stops being on fire and flies off. I was hoping to kill it and skip the slog to bluemoon tower.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 19, 2012

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

There's a chest behind a locked portcullis in the frontier cavern arena area, and I have no idea how to get to it. I tried getting the cyclops to smash the gate but it didn't work at all.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How rad is magic archer? It looks pretty rad what with the magic and the abstract sculpture bows.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Man I gotta get into this sweet magic archer action. I kind of overlooked the class cause I assumed it would all be like, foresty elf poo poo. But apparently it is actually a self-immolating SAM turret.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I've got a level 60 sorceror in the post game already and the reason I don't play it much is that everything is either trivial or incredibly frustrating. A couple of hellhounds are a huge problem for me but any of the big monsters are stupidly easy. If I can get a spellcast off usually I win. If there's anything small and fast that interrupts easily there is really gently caress all I can do. Plus I miss out on climbing on enemies and melee combat and all that. Makes the game feel a bit QTEish.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Magic archer is pretty boss but my bow damage feels pretty low, is there anything I can do to remedy this? I just got up to the griffon mission and I'm using the gold idol bow. At the moment I use sixfold shot, hunter shot and ricochet shot, I dunno if those are the right abilities to use. Hunter shot is great for some poo poo but does like no damage to lots of things so I am thinking of swapping it out for something else. Ricochet is kind of the same thing, it's crazy for clearing caves and dungeons but in the great outdoors it hits the monster maybe twice.

My dagger damage is fine, but I didn't really pick the class to rely mostly on my daggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Sindai posted:

I think Magic Archer damage is deliberately low to make up for the fact that you can shoot a lot and you never miss, but they seem to have undershot the mark unless you spent a bunch of levels as a mage or sorcerer to boost your natural magic score and make up for the fact that magic bows have relatively low magic stats.

Fortunately that's what I did, so my damage is good. :v:

I spent my early levels as mage, maybe I should go finish levelling mage and start levelling sorceror so I can get the 2 magic increase perks. Or maybe I should just go and make my level 70 sorceror into a magic archer.

• Locked thread