Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Evil Canadian posted:

So is there a way to turn off the letterboxing of the gameplay? It didn't bug me in the demo because it was such a small slice, but now that I am out in the world it is driving me mad.

RE4 had to do this to run on the Gamecube way back when. You get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
In fairness, the pawn system is really cool. I love how they learn from watching you fight or just incidentally trying random poo poo. Always a joy when a pawn I hired online runs up, scales a monster and hacks it apart like he's done it a million times before, prompting my own pawn to chime in with "I'VE LEARNED ABOUT BEASTS :downs:"

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Shima Honnou posted:

My copy gets here tomorrow (Pre-ordered from Newegg since they had a code that cut $12 off the order; they didn't ship it to arrive here on release day, though). What's the overall impressions of it so far? I love Dark Souls and I've heard tell that this is somehow similar although not as wonderfully difficult, but I've avoided too many spoilers to keep that 'new RPG' experience once it goes in the disc tray. What can I expect for my money?

It's kinda Dark Souls meets Shadow of the Colossus, combat-wise. No giant glowing weakpoints, but you can climb all over monsters and hack them apart limb by limb if you so choose. The world doesn't quite have the foreboding mystique Lordran did, but it kind of makes up with it in sheer... Weirdness, I guess.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Anyone looking for an overly protective mage pawn on PSN feel free to add HoboSiege. Gimpy Joe is eager to meet you.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

-Blackadder- posted:

Have you guys been doing any combining of items? And if so what are you finding are good combinations to make?

I've done it randomly here and there but for the most part I've just been throwing a lot of into storage since I don't really feel like dealing with it at that exact moment. There seems to be so many different combinations it's overwhelming.

Poison arrows are a must for any archer if you're going up against larger enemies. They tend to get really sluggish and, unlike fire, they can't cure it by rolling around. Lasts forever if you make a point of sticking them occasionally. I usually use cedar branches and mushrooms to make them.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Manatee Cannon posted:

There was an ox drawn cart being attacked by goblins outside Gran Soren. I kill the goblins, then the griffin comes. He steals the ox and then just leaves. :psyduck: How do I make him stick around?

Jump on his back and begin stabbing incessantly, of course.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
If anyone's just getting into this and wanting to build a melee character, I've had excellent results by spending my first 23 levels as a Strider then branching off into Fighter. You hit for piss all at first, but you get really good stamina growth and augments. You end up with an insanely mobile fighter who can chain specials eternally and cling to giant monsters just as long. Attack and defense even out quickly with a few fighter levels, and the shield is a godsend.

Also, whoever owns Bort the obese transgendered Dwarf: That little bastard is a trooper. I took him out to hunt ogres and he made all the difference by clinging to the worst one's face and stabbing away like a deranged monkey. Think he was level 6 at the time. Goon pawns do the craziest poo poo, I swear.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Ledneh posted:

I know you can switch classes in this game, but how does it actually work? Are you still going to want to start over to try something new anyway because your stats will be gobshite, or what?

There are hybrid classes that take advantage of mixed stats, but if you spent ten levels arching, ten levels as a Fighter and then decided you wanted to play a mage you'd pretty much be working up from nothing because neither of those classes build magic stats.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I prefer to roll with a melee option and a ranged option at all times. You can generally be pretty sure of what your pawn is going to do, but you never know when someone else's will screw off because they saw something shiny drop.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

FisheyStix posted:

Does anyone know how to talk to that drat theif in Cassardis after you catch him once? I need to speak to him for a quest, but he runs away and disappears.

He wanders the streets during daytime. Easy to spot, he's the only townie wearing a bandit mask.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I don't know how Gimpy Joe has managed to accrue an appearance rating of 4 stars, but uh. Thanks, you guys. :stare:

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

jerichojx posted:

Just got the game.

I love that there is an actual challenge to the game.

What I'm not a fan of is running everwhere? Is there no fast travel in this game? How soon can I get Ferry Stones?

Also, why can I kill that thing in the cave under the Pawn Guild? It doesn't seem to take any damage?

That's an ogre. They're sturdy sons of bitches. He'll usually go stumbling to his death if you just keep railing on him from a distance, but your best bet is to run away. You won't have the strength to kill them conventionally for quite a while.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

jerichojx posted:

If I can't beat that thing, why did they include it in my first three hours?

:darksouls:

No, seriously though. The key to that quest is to run screaming down the stairwell, then run screaming back up it.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Murodese posted:

Not sure if I just got lucky, but he wasn't that tough. Had me (level 14 2h warrior), main pawn (ranger), healer mage and tank fighter. Constant jump+heavy spam on a leg to knock him over, then repeated heavies to his head. Killed him in a couple of minutes, he takes massive damage to the head when he's down.

Sounds like you pretty much had the perfect setup for that fight, honestly. Me, I ran in there with daggers and my bow and my tank pawn managed to get swiped off the edge straight away. Thankfully, the ogre followed right behind him after Gimpy set his entire torso on fire. Tried to put himself out by rolling and went clear over the edge.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

BORK! BORK! posted:

Im getting pretty drat annoyed with this game right now :colbert:

Trying to get to the 2nd part of the griffin fight which appears to be in the middle of loving nowhere so I followed the coast around for about an hour slogging through huge groups of direwolves on the way only to run into a massive iron gate with no way around or through it.

Am I just retarded or is the map in this game horrible?

You should be heading Northeastish. When you arrive at a region full of red stone canyons, you're headed the right way.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Ledneh posted:

I just arrived at the main town, is there anything really important I should do before I begin the time honored tradition of faffing about?

Also, is there any reason not to go straight for the advanced/hybrid variety of classes if that's what I want to do? Do I need to stick to the basics for any reason?

Some skills are shared between classes, and all augmentations are. The good augs generally come in the very last ranks of a vocation. Your stats at level up are also determined by your present class. I'd say go ahead and switch if you want to, though. If you find your skillset lacking you can always come back to another.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
To me, the single creepiest thing about night in this game is that there's no moon. I'd imagine that's why it's so loving dark, the stars are your only source of light.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just read some sales numbers from Japan, 330k total sold so far (300 on the ps3, 30 on the 360), it was the #1 seller last week by a good margin (though the competition for the week was not stiff in Japan, #2 was Mario Tennis on the 3DS). Maybe it will be a multi-million (or at least more than one million) seller world-wide...

That's loving stellar for Japan, isn't it? Good to hear, I'm already itching for a sequel.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

tooooooo bad posted:

This game doesn't feel very Western to me at all. More like a real-time version of the first Final Fantasy or an early Dragon Quest.

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. It feels like a real time Dragon Quest game in that it pretty much tells you "Here is a kingdom, here is a dragon to slay. Have an adventure!" You're expected to do a lot of pathfinding and backtracking with minimal access to fast travel, the pawns fill in for your friends at school who were also playing the game and it doesn't give two shits if you get in over your head. It really manages to scratch that old itch without feeling as archaic as it probably should.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Fereydun posted:

However, the lack of world content/incentive to explore and quests hurt the game a lot...

See, I get where you're coming from here, but I don't think it's that big of an issue. My personal incentives for exploration were finding new monster types to murder and just... Training up. I can't remember the last game that left me compelled to strike off in a random direction solely to see what new abilities were around the corner. Took me forever to start the main quest proper.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Honest Thief posted:

aww gently caress, I just discovered the Black Cat store, right before giving the grimoire to some dude, this is going to bite me in the rear end

No worries, dude makes better use of it than you ever could.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Flame112 posted:

How much trouble am I going to get in for turning in a forgery of the Wyrmking's Ring? The bonus was way too good to pass up.

You miss out on an item later on, but it's nowhere near as good as the ring. Sort of funny, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Minorkos posted:

Does anyone know the stat gains for specific vocations? I heard that Assassin puts almost everything in strength, but that's about it.

Strider puts a poo poo ton into stamina, so it's a great lead-in for just about any vocation. I think fighter is pretty HP and defense heavy with middling strength gains made up for by access to good weapons. Have yet to play many others.

• Locked thread