Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I made a pretty good Balthier clone. A travesty there's no sideburn options. The character creation is pretty in-depth if you fiddle with the details. Plus having both a slot for clothes and armor is loving amazing. More games need to do this. Wearing a steel breastplate makes me cringe for my nips just thinking about it.

Game gave me a smile when one of my pawn's yelled out "Tis but a flesh wound!" in the heat of battle. Reference's beaten to death, but didn't expect it from a Japanese dev.

Mokinokaro posted:

It's based on IGN's review solely, which other reviews and streams have proven is incorrect.
Oh IGN, what'd they give Dragon's Age 2 again? A 8.5 was it?

DD

DA2

:psyduck:

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Sorry if this has already been asked, but how does the XP system work? Is it split among your party? Given to a character based on the hits they land? Basically I'm wondering if there's any benefit to solo.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I was wondering how the bronze idols work. You sell them to the shop you want a discount at?

Do people really carry extra weapons simply to make killing specific monsters slightly easier? Personally, I've used 1h swords and daggers and both work just fine against ... well everything.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Oh, dammit. I'm really anal about my weight limit so I was hoping I didn't have to carry 'em around. They're quite heavy. Do the effects stack?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Haven't read the entire thread, so bear with me if this is a repeated topic but; anyone else amused how Japanese devs have been making better WRPG's than Western devs lately? Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls have been kicking the poo poo outta Skyrim and Dragon Age 2 in my opinion.

The only Westerners still making great WRPGs seem to be CDProjekt. This is especially interesting because of how piss-poor Eastern devs were doing 3-5 years back. They couldn't make a JRPG to save their life. Now with Xenoblade and the aforementioned games, it seems they've hit their stride. I hope Bioware and Bethesda get their head out their rear end and start making great European-style RPGs like they used to.

It'd be doubly-amazing if they tried their hand at a turned based anime style RPG and did it better than the Japanese.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

tooooooo bad posted:

This game doesn't feel very Western to me at all.
I strongly disagree. This game couldn't be more Western. They even went with a wyrm as the antagonist over a dragon. Not too mention the castles that are distinctly western, weapons and character ethnicity. This is white people running around with broadswords and shields fighting chimeras, goblins and griffins. You don't get more middle ages Europe than that.

You could argue that it's easy to tell it was made by a Japanese developer and thus "feels" Eastern, but we'd be splitting hairs. It's obvious they crammed as much western medieval fantasy folklore as possible. Granted Dragon Quest is also very western oriented with asian stylizations, so I can somewhat see your point.

What'd be especially amazing, and make up for a lot of the poo poo Capcom has been pulling lately, would be a Dragon's Dogma 2 with similar but expanded gameplay set in Feudal Japan. I want to fight actual Dragons, Oni's (Asian goblins), Obake (shape-shifting dogs) with big rear end odachi swords and naginata pole-arms. This is getting a bit over my head because I don't know Japanese folklore outside of using wikipedia. But just as this game is drenched in medieval Europe, I want a sequel focused on a completely different setting. Plus polearms, where the hell are my polearms? You tellin' me to fight quadruped creatures with short range swords? The gently caress is wrong with you? Also, I want to fight in water and in the air a bit. SoTC style.

coyo7e posted:

Also, there are a small number of locations you can't get to all the loot if you don't have a short character in your party.. But you could have a short pawn trained to be Acquisitor, who could walk through that little hole and loot the chest for you..!
Or you could do what I do and just kick them into the hole. Worked for me and I've never heard of this "Acquisitor" thing you're talking about. Plus it's funny.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I'll bitch out anyone who dares question my choice of a lolimage pawn.

Specto posted:

Just got the game today, managed to make it to the capital. Does anyone have any tips for where I should go from there? I really haven't done much beyond exploring around the city, and even then I keep getting stopped by tough bandits, or the saurians.
You'll level up soon enough to where the saurians and bandits will be pushovers, regardless if you do sidequests or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Can you swing larger weapons effectively? If so, is it by creating a bigger character?

• Locked thread