Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
So my David Bowie pawn seems to be going over real well.

Too well. Now his responses to victory are classified as 'arrogant.'

Wandered off the starting story path twice and decided against it after getting my rear end handed to me by bandits. To be fair, I hadn't bought any skills in a long time and bandit mages are the worst.

Oh, and a great way to kill goblins is to through a jar of oil on them. No fire needed, it's an instant kill for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

iastudent posted:

If you're playing fighter/warrior, as soon as you see someone carrying around a staff or starting up a spell, you better drop everything you're doing and Blink Strike their rear end. :black101:

Strider but they have a similar attack. My solution for one group I found on a mountain pass was to start tossing them all off the cliff. My solution to the Catacombs in Dark Souls has once again paid off in spades.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Trapped myself in a fortress surrounded by bandits and an ogre. Every fight results in my group getting swarmed by something like 10 archers and 5 fighters.

Doesn't help that I'm out of healing items. I guess the only solution is to use the quest item to see what it obliterates.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Harlock posted:

This is double the price of the same DLC on 360.

That's terrible.

Is there a way to actually purchase it at that price without buying $5 in points?

Seems like a scam to get people to end up with an odd amount of points.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm becoming completely enamored by the pawn system. Been spending way too much time scrolling through the lists and seeing what primary and secondary skills each unit has to round out the party.

Nobody sends gifts back which is kind of lame. Spent 12,000 gold on a fake gift for someone because their pawn talked too much. Enjoy restarting when you down that heal party potion, dick.

NESguerilla posted:

I'm hoping this will change when I can hire better one, but so far pawns have been nothing but an absolutely goddamn worthless nuisance. they just die every 5 loving seconds and then get me killed when I trying to revive them.
Sucks. My main pawn goes out and retrieves the other two's corpses so I don't have to run into combat to revive them :smug:

Manticore's in the wild are terrifying and awesome. Watched a lizard man get tossed over a cliff in a dynamic introduction to death. Good game.

Buckwild Dorf fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 23, 2012

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Gestalt Intellect posted:

From what everyone's played so far, does it seem worth the current cost? There are a few problems that worry me, but on the whole I think I can deal with most of the things the reviews complained about since the combat looks solid.

Yes. You know how Call of Duty inspired a bunch of clones? Imagine that happened to Baldur's Gate. Now imagine that one of those clones thought sitting through dialogue trees was boring so combat was improved.

That's pretty much Dragon's Dogma in a nutshell.

For the pawn stuff, like them picking up items instead of fighting, can all be controlled through The Chair. My pawn focuses on picking up fallen comrades and hauling them to me but won't touch items. Also likes to respond harshly to victory, which is weird. When people say they have problems with a pawn it just means that people suck at sitting in chairs.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

VDay posted:

For those that are somewhat ahead: When do the stores in Gran Soren update? More specifically, when can I buy an archistaff for a sorcerer? I'm getting pretty close to switching my pawn from a mage, but I've got no weapon to give him.

I think they just show up when you switch someone out of the starting jobs for the first time.

Not positive but I'm around level 20 and picked up some stuff for my ranger.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
I think the Obliteratrix is glitched. I checked my storage and found it just chilling in there.

Unless my pawn brought it back?

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Iastudent, I'm sending your pawn back with a rotten egg, I advise you to make him suck on it. You were going to get a really nice pie but then your pawn jumped into the brine while carrying all of the stone tablets from the water god dungeon.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

iastudent posted:

But... he was just gonna, y'know, get them clean... from sitting around in dust for so many years... yeah.

On that note, I lost someone's pawn in that same dungeon because I tried to levitate to another platform and they decided that the fastest way to catch up was a straight line. That place just eats pawns for breakfast I think.

Yeah, enjoy that spell scroll suck on that egg.

What determines the items you can send back as gifts, by the way? I'm guessing it's items you have to have on your main person but haven't experimented enough to find out.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Azraden posted:

That's what I've been doing. I mean, yeah, there's poo poo here and there, but for the most part there's no really awesome equipment or anything, and pretty much all of it is just copies of stuff I've found while breaking boxes or harvesting without going off the beaten path. Exploring just feels unsatisfying.

You must be bad at finding stuff or getting screwed on random items. I've got loads of neat stuff. The most recent weapon of raditude was a two handed war hammer with three heads. David Bowie looks so intimidating with his cyclops helmet and metal finger nails.

I also think you're still in the first act of the game and that's where a lot of your loot is kind of meager. You do start to find lots of stuff, and lots of cool stuff. My harpy cloak has yet to be matched and that was something I found in one of the reward chests.

Mazed posted:

So, the worst thing I've heard about this game is that there's a lot of really tedious backtracking.

How bad is it? In a game like Dark Souls, the backtracking is actually a part of the gameplay pacing, and despite being open world, still has distinctive (if sometimes obscure) routes that you're funneled along, with specific obstacles that must be dealt with each time.

If Dragon's Dogma is more in the vein of an Elder Scrolls, with big open wilderness and such, is the lack of a quick-travel function something that only brings tedium and needless padding, or does it actually feel somewhat natural and deliberate?
There sort of is. The biggest issue is that the shortcut to one side of the map is in the opposite direction you'd go when heading for that area. You never really need to take the old route once you discover the shortcut because, well, you have no need for that side of the map once you leave it.

Buckwild Dorf fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 24, 2012

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Well I'm starting to get really annoyed by the lack of randomization in enemy placement. Knowing where each enemy and cluster is really ruins half of everything that drives you out further. You spend so much time getting somewhere that what you end up doing isn't nearly worth the effort of getting there. Just starts to feel like a time grind.

Game is really fun but this is a problem I've had with Morrowind, Demon's/Dark Souls, etc. I understand why the Souls games don't have these randomized encounters due to the surroundings being an important part of the encounter. Dogma doesn't really get that defense because the majority of your travels are through these really open areas.

It'd just be nice if I didn't know what was hanging out on the other side of a hill or on that side of the forest.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Go to the rift shop in the encampment to increase the chances of your pawn doing activities other than picking stuff up.

I bought a bottle of juice that sends my main running and gunning towards the strongest dudes. Oh right, my pawn's strength is also around 900.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
How far am I through the game? I just fought the cockatrice in the city field. Hopefully there is still stuff coming because status ailments just became interesting. Maybe my item box full of clean cloths will be put to use.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Be careful of whom you court in this game. Watching my Arisen get laid by the short drunk from the Gran Soren alehouse came out of nowhere.

Looks like I'm in the Bloody Palace portion of the game which is going to be awesome. Is there anywhere to change vocations within that area or am I going to be shooting ice spikes for a couple hours?

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Role Play McMurphy posted:

You're giving up on the game because you can't be bothered to click one menu option before hitting save? Christ, good riddance, action squirrel.

It's a pretty cumbersome system and sitting on a menu screen watching the game take forever to save is pretty irritating.

But uh, 'grats on the angry response? It's a legitimate complaint and the game not saving often enough and getting kicked back 30-45 minutes is a huge bitch.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

VDay posted:

It takes literally 15 seconds from the time I hit Start back to me playing again whenever I want to save. The camera complaint is a legitimate one, "wasting time" saving as if it's some 5 minute process where you have to manually move your save file isn't.

15 seconds is too long. Dark Souls does it without the game even stopping. Mind blowing, right?

The game does checkpoint saves that don't stop you from moving around and doing things. Why is it when you want to save that you've got to stop playing the game?

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Question for people who beat the game: What am I supposed to do with this chair and invisibility? I want to kill the Ur-Dragon and stuff. The best I can do is chill at the Alehouse and remember the chemistry I had with the owner.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Policenaut posted:

Return to the void through the town gate then use Godsbane to finish the game and unlock New Game+ for all your Ur-Dragon needs.

Aha! Thank you. Time to slay a big thing.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

iastudent posted:

I grabbed the Monster Hunter weapons pack just a bit ago, here's a list of everything included. You get one of each automatically placed in your storage and if you need extra copies, they're sold at the Black Cat.

Cyclop's Bane
Type: 2-handed hammer
Vocation: Warrior
Strength: 115
Bludgeoning Strength: 100%
Stagger Power: 132
Knockdown Power: 132
Effective against cyclopses/giant monsters

Admittedly, on paper they don't look that great compared to gear you get once you're a way's in, and you can't upgrade them either. Will have to see just how much of a bonus they give.
Are these weapons available without purchase?

Pretty sure my Pawn is wielding Cyclop's Bane right now (two-handed cyclop's tusk hammer).

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Clocks posted:

So, after the greatwall, I got a quest to go see the dragonforged before facing the dragon. Except I was all like, "I didn't see what was downstairs in the castle!" so I ran downstairs and the quest updated to "face the dragon." Uhh yeah no. I'm guessing I can see the dragonforged anyway and it'll give me his quest dialogue, but I'm hoping I didn't miss anything by doing that?

Also I'm guessing once I DO go to face the dragon it'll be a point of no return thing, and then I can finally read all those post-game spoilers everyone is talking about.

I have a few quests I think I can do, but I definitely missed a billion. I'm not really too worried about achievements, though it kind of sucks anyway. I've also not faced the drake or whatever yet, just gave it a wide berth the one time I was there, so maybe I should go do that now. Hmm.

Also, I found one of those "learn about monsters" tomes, and it was for a hydra, so I like to imagine when I give back the pawns I've been using they'll look at "gained hydra knowledge" and think I am badass for facing a hydra. Except not really.

The time you saved is better than the value of the vest I received. Just gun it for post game.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Jimbot posted:

At the end, stabbing the sword through your chest doesn't kill you, it makes you immortal. It's why the previous guy pulled the sword from his chest and then was killed.
I posted it earlier but I always thought the ending was just some broken window fallacy. They create a crisis to keep the will of living going out of a sense of survival and forge a new Maker in the process. This is demonstrated by a lot of people in the game, but it was all towards defeating/understanding a dragon, when you defeat the dragon you defeat their will to continue down that path. The one fisher guy who has wonderlust demonstrates that people have the will to continue onwards of their on volition and don't need some bullshit reason to. I was really hoping the ending would you breaking that endless cycle of self-fulfilling destiny. The presentation of the whole thing was neat but the logic is just wrong.

Did you not pick up on the part where your pawn becomes you and whatever you were is gone? You are supposed to break the chain and pass the world on to your followers. Pretty much God is supposed to create the world and then leave it, removing interaction and providing free choice (your pawn is now the master).

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Kilometers Davis posted:

Also, anyone care to post your "and then Dragon's Dogma really clicked with me moment"?

I launched a pawn at a harpy and the harpy carried them off. Harpies would be much more enjoyable if they lowered the frequency of how often you encounter them (gently caress you moonbit pass).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Did anything every become of the DLC stuff? Any good quests or land expansions or such?

I can only hope that DD2 is a bigger world with more paths, more enemies, more open choices (kill citizens), and less plot. Maybe just the same amount of plot. I kind of liked that the story just appeared out of nowhere.

• Locked thread