Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

iastudent posted:

I'm guessing it's a random thing, huh? I just killed a drake and my gear's still at rank 3.

I think he means the drops you get from killing the drake can be used to upgrade your gear to level 4, though after the drake sword in DS I don't know anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Did amazon sent out the pre-order codes yet?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is anyone else experiencing freezing on the ps3 version or is it just me? It froze on me twice in 4 hours of play.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

OmegaZultan posted:

Can you vocation change at will at some point a la Dragon Quest?

Also how do you get new moves/ put skill points in stuff? I'm level 10 and have like 4 vocation ranks and I've not seen anything with regards to upgrading my dude. (maybe I shouldn't have turned off those annoying tutorial messages.

edit: OmegaZultan on PSN, Pawn is Meyushka

I think as soon as you get to the capital.

You get/set skills at the inn.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

RB has your skills, LB is useless.

What is the point of making a huge barbarian character when warriors are gimped :cry:

Are you using one handed weapons? beacuse they only get 3 skill apiece with the other 3 going to your secondary weapon (bows, shields)

I'm loving the game so far. This is probably the most fun I ever had playing a mage in a action WRPG. Unlike say, skyrim the spells look and feel powerful and you can actually use them as much as you want without having to watch mp/spell points.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 23, 2012

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I really love how pawns instantly loot people's houses. Geez guys at least wait until I talk to the owner :v:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I have been playing all day and I haven't even made any significant progress in the one side quest I'm trying to do and I'm still having fun.

This game is definitely the Dark Souls of 2012 for me.

[e] Am I crazy or does archers sometimes use bushes for cover?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Dogbutt posted:

Is it possible to send one of the characters from the Demo to the game, then make your pawn in the real thing?

It automatically imports both and gives you an option to edit.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

When do sorcerers start learning actual attacks spells? I'm at level 4 and I only see statues effect AOEs. I hope I didn't change from being a mage too early :ohdear:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

VDay posted:

You get a couple more at level 5, and then the real big gently caress-off sorcerer spells come at 6. As people told me earlier though you should be able to just use the mage offensive spells in the meantime. Or did you not go Mage->Sorcerer for some reason?

I was a mage but I quit after getting the high x spells.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

a foolish pianist posted:

I think going mage to sorcerer, you lose the boons and buff type spells.

Nope, you can still totally learn/use those if you got to that rank in the mage class. You have to use a "Arch Staff" though.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why are ogres the most dangerous things I have fought so far? They apparently aren't even classified as "large" enemies, not having multiple life bars destructable sections and stuff. But holy poo poo they just take damage forever, they're just a giant uniform hunk of iron with arms and legs. I just got killed trying to kill the last one in the quarry, there's no room to maneuver or even see very well in there.

Also unlike cyclops they are fast as hell and can pretty much one shot you. I had a ogres kick me and all my pawns from all the way across the room in that tight quarry.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Bandits can use hybrid classes. You know what's more fun than a 2-handed warrior bandit? a magic archer bandit right next to him loving up your spell casting/kiting.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Teeter posted:

Update for potential magic class people:

I've given my sorcerer a bit more time and have started to enjoy it. I actually downgraded back to mage for the time being so once I get the augments and spells that I like then I'll switch back. Now that I've got a bit better gear and a competent party together my survivability has gone up and overall things are much better.

I also recommend staying a mage until rank 6 or 7 if you want to be a magic user since that's where the majority of the early attack spells come from.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Giggily posted:

You can just grab the loot you actually want off of them out of their inventory before sending them back. I don't send people gifts for their pawns if theirs are crazy kleptomaniacs, because they already have all of my poo poo anyways.

Your loot also automatically gets send to storage assuming you actually dismiss the pawn (and not leave it to die while running away at night or throw it off a cliff)

[e] I just got a ferrystone. It's not going to disappear after one use right?

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 24, 2012

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

OK Octopus posted:

So, I remember the GB Quick Look mentioning necromantic abilities. Any chance of a summon undead spell? I love me some shambling skeleton hordes.

The necromancy spell is such bullshit. I was also expecting to summon skeletons and zombies, but the only thing that spell does is give you the necromantic version of options from gradius only not nearly as good.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Uhh did I miss something? I talked to the duchess like once and gave her a silly hat and next thing I know I'm being invited into her room at night and being beaten and thrown in jail for doing so.

[e] Anybody have any favorite recipes? I just realized that I haven't even touched that stuff even though my stash is full of materials.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 25, 2012

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

VDay posted:

Does anyone know what the deal with Ophis is? I'm a female and none of the bandits attack me but if I approach her in her little room she freaks out. Is it because of my pawns? Am I gonna have to let them go just to do the Secret Admirer quest?

Yes your team has to be all female.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Lotish posted:

God I wish they hadn't locked pawns out of the hybrid classes. I really want someone to be swinging around these awesome maces besides me.

Oh god this.

It's like I'm going to still be growing while my pawn is going to be the same thing forever.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I love how powerful sorcerers get. I just took down a chimera in under a minute with a maelstrom and a gicel.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Yeah I really wish they'd stop doing this.

Speaking of things pawns shouldn't do, I wish after a certain point they would stop saying poo poo like "I bet we will use this inn a lot" or "this is the black smith!"

If they make a DD 2 I also hope they give the different pawn voices different variations on the same lines. Being told the exactly same thing 3 times by 3 different voices kinda grates on you after a while (though I just might be spoiled by saint's row)

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Dogbutt posted:

So, I got a Portcrystal and I don't know where I should put it. What would be the best place for it?

Edit: As in specifically, where would be the best place to put it so I don't have to travel to a certain place all the time? Like, a place that's really out of the way and I go there a lot. I just finished the Big Griffen Hunt and haven't really done any of the other quests (except the one with the princess). So where would be best

I put mine in between the witch's wood and the first fort so I don't have to go past that goddamn canyon. If I get another one I will probably put it somewhere north of gran soren since going west in the map isn't a big deal once you open the cavern shortcut

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I changed my sorcerer to a magic archer, it's nice to be able to actually deal with monsters that are far away but I really miss making tornadoes and meteor showers. I changed at rank 8 though and now I'm wondering if rank 9 has augments useful to a magic archer or is it just high versions of spells I can't use anymore?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

BORK! BORK! posted:

Thats what I tried to do :( I got as far as some castle with high winds blowing everywhere but cant actually progress further because the terrain is just a wall with one passage through that is locked. While not as difficult as Dark Souls this game certainly doesnt hand you anything on a plate!

You do know that gate isn't actually lock right? Even though it looks like that you just have to push O on it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Seriously, whoever thought that making golems absolutely immune to all magic is a loving worthless wretch of a human being. Especially when the mage physical attacks are below useless.

Magic archers (with staffs) are even worse since they can't even stun or damage them in any way

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Comrade Flynn posted:

Maelstrom or meteors. Which should I get?

Maelstrom.

Meteors are cool, but I find Maelstrom works better on tall bosses plus it's more accurate. It's also really good at wiping out entire groups of monsters if you can keep them off of you. It also has one of the best ranges for an attack spell so you can really gently caress people up before they even see you.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Test-0 posted:

So, uh, I might have over done it in the Griffin quest... When I lured it in to land in the spot you give it a goblin snack, I proceeded to alpha strike it so heavily with a double Arc of Might from both me and my pawn that it was completely stun locked and what followed was like dropping a piano on a pigeon. Several flaming pianos. I think I've seen the same quest done by others and it was meant to fly away and lead you to some ruins somewhere where you have an epic showdown. That, uh, didn't happen. It's kinda dead. A lot.

Did I just destroy my chances at getting into that place, or can I just wander in whenever I feel like it?

It isn't locked so you should be able to (also a few other quests take place at that location). An important item is there so you should probably go there eventually.

Did anything happen story-wise once you killed it early?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

If you kill the lion before the other heads on the chimera they just kinda writhe around until you put them out of their misery.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm pretty close to the end of my first play-through and I have to say this is my favorite game so far of 2012. If they make the quests and story more interesting like in skyrim or new vegas and give you dialog choices in the next one it would be one of my favorite WRPGs ever.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

So regarding the dragon, WAS I supposed to let the person get sacrificed? The dragon is kind of kicking my rear end like nothing I have fought in the game before. I mean, story-wise I'm sure that's the way it's supposed to be but still...

I'm in this position too. He's pretty good at interrupting my spell casting and messing up my pawns beacuse he's so goddamn big

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Holy poo poo! this is how you do a post-game

gently caress you max and all you guards I thought we were bros. You didn't bring up all this bullshit about not liking me when you were sending my on cross-country trips to kill big things :mad:

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 28, 2012

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well I mostly just meant the way you fall and it keeps looping and you can "get off" by slamming face-first into one of the platforms jutting off the side

Pro-tip you can get to a platform without taking damage by pressing grab near one

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

It's an optional one, one of the guys in the castle will give you a really dubious task of finding a letter stolen by a monster in the canyon; I got the quest a bit before the Greatwall story quest.

The funny thing about this quest is you can totally bypass the whole cayon and get the letter if you have levitate. float a little over half way while hugged that waterfall near the gargoyle and you should be able to jump and float again to the letters.

[e] Where are the big monsters post game? The only one I found so far was a drake on the way to the quarry. I really need to grind to get the last sorcerer skills but gently caress fighting a bunch of hellhounds and succubi

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

BORK! BORK! posted:

So I have to collect 20 wakestones and beat another boss in this shitstorm of a world with no fast traveling or vocation switching before I can NG+? gently caress that.

You can still switch vocations and fast travel on the world map.

also do you ever get to have a legit fight with the hydra?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Gort posted:

3. I get to choose my class and that's the extent of my character generation? I get the impression there are advanced classes later, but I expect to at least be able to pick some powers.

Wha.. did you not get to the first inn or what?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Last night I had a dream that Dragon's Dogma was patched to add a hard mode and I was gleefully playing the game again for the first time in months using all my best mystic knight tricks just to stay alive.

It was only a dream though, wasn't it...

I would pay for a hard mode :smith:

I would love to get back in this but I can't bring myself too because I already did everything

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

This is great news for me. I put down DD after I beat it twice, so a new hard mode and a expansion is exactly the excuse I need to get back into it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Lotish posted:

Anyone know when that Dark DLC was coming out? That's the last thing I remember reading about for this game and it's been silence since.

I think early next year.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

For anyone on the fence, Dragon's Dogma is supposed to be on sale for Amazon's black friday thing for $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So does anyone know how this DLC with stitch into the main game? I have a NG + that I stopped playing early on. Should I just rush to the end?

• Locked thread