Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Harlock posted:

I'm not sure if anyone addressed it, but does the actual game still play in letterbox like the demo?
Yes. Not sure but I believe so.

Alzabo posted:

How much of the content in this game is locked up on the disc as DLC and available on launch day?
Day 1 DLC is 100 random quests meant as nothing more than additional loot for people who want more quests to do. The game is a huge open world RPG with easily 30-50 hours worth of gameplay if you rush through it, a new game+ mode, as well as some sort of post-game stuff if you don't feel like doing a NG+ straight away.

VDay fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's pretty weird, was it to reduce processing load or something?

I actually just realized that I think I might be confusing what I read as a guess on another forum with something I read in an actual review, so take my "Yes" with a grain of salt until someone who actually has the game can confirm.

e: Haha I was just about to suggest the Stalin/Lenin combo be added to the second post, that was my favorite from the demo.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ledneh posted:

Any guesses/insight on difficulty so far? I feel like looking at some of that video it might be pretty Dark Souls in difficulty: soul-crushing at first, then quickly easier with some attention and learning.

The consensus seems to be that the difficulty's not bad if you stick to roads and make sure you're prepared before going out, but can quickly kick you in the balls if you decide to go exploring somewhere you shouldn't be, go out at night at a lower level, or if you stay out too long without any healing items. The major complaint seems to be that quests don't have a level marker or anything when you accept them, so you don't really know how hard a quest might be until you go and try to do it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Chumpy posted:

Wait, someone's already at or near NG+? How long did it take to get there? I'm hoping you just had the street date broken by at least a few days, and marathoned it.

Some people have had the game for a couple of days because Capcom shipped copies bought from their online store on Wed or Thurs.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Evil Canadian posted:

Also out of the people I know I am the only person not making some sort of Game of Thrones knockoff characters, which is disappointing. I am not going for high art mind you because at the moment in the Demo my char/pawn is set as Conan and Red Sonja.
Yeah I think GoT is going to be pretty well represented. Gyoru was streaming his game on like Friday or Saturday and looking through the pawn list and there was already at least one version of every major character, with Gyoru himself playing as Davos and Tyrion.

Dawnfire posted:

:stare:

Do my eyes decieve me or is a mage flaming on and jumping onto a chimera to punch him to death? I only just saw this now in the OP, but this makes me completely reconsider my starting class.
The class is the magick archer but yeah that's the premise of the skill. The upgraded version drains your health slower so you can stay lit longer.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Going to Fry's right now to pick this up, so loving excited. Hope they actually have the game though, that Fry's is pretty lovely sometimes. *knocks on wood*

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

the Gaffe posted:

You could use a telephone to call them ahead of time. :eng101:

Would've done that except that Fry's has shown in the past that what an employee says over the phone has about a 30% chance of actually being true. It wasn't a big deal because there was a Target, GameStop, and a Best Buy within like 5 mins.

Trip report: Fry's is indeed selling it for $49.99, although my Fry's still had the $59.99 sticker on the box. Went straight to 49.99 when the cashier scanned it in though. Installing now :toot:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Might be worth adding to the OP, here's a gamefaqs post that's serving as a makeshift guide right now while actual guides are being made. Has some really good info and links to other post about stuff like augments, class skills, pawn character, etc. Worth a look for anyone like me who likes to plan things out in an RPG, or if you're just curious what augments/classes the different vocations get.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/62873069

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You can sell items in shops that are currently in your storage. Game of the year.

Also this game is horrible for my OCD item collecting. Been playing for an hour and haven't left Cassardis yet. It's awesome how much being able to climb stuff adds to exploration.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

NESguerilla posted:

A few questions...Why is my health seem to be at the half way mark even if it appears to be full? Also, Do I do anything when I level up or is everything automatic? Finally, my bow occasionally fires powerful fire arrows but I can't tell what is triggering it. Am I building up a meter that leads to that or something?

You level up automatically, but if you level up your vocation then you should go to an inn since you most likely unlocked a new skill. The fire arrows are coming from the mage in your party, who is casting a spell to imbue your weapons with fire.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Hatter106 posted:

Is there a way to see how much a piece of armour weighs BEFORE you buy it...?

The weight is the number between the price and the amount you want to buy.

\/\/ Yes. It's a dagger core skill.

VDay fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 22, 2012

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Where are the rats that you're supposed to kill for the Rat Catcher notice board quest?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mordiceius posted:

Should we create a list of gamertags/psn IDs and what type of pawn they have?

Someone already made a google doc, check the second post of the thread.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fizzil posted:

Nope, unless you have something equipped like a shield, unfortunately warriors only carry one thing unlike the other classes so hes mostly hosed with 3 skills only.

You mean the other classes like mages and sorcerers who also only have one weapon? Warriors absolutely should be able to have 6 two-handed skills. Every class gets 6 skills, what they are just depends on your weapons.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Tufty posted:

Does a daggers-wielding assassin get 6 dagger skills?

No, you get 3 dagger skills and then 3 skills for whatever your secondary weapon is.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Evil Canadian posted:

RB has your skills, LB is useless.

What is the point of making a huge barbarian character when warriors are gimped :cry:

Are you sure you have more than 3 warrior skills to equip? That seems really bizarre. Does it just not let you equip skills to LB on the Set Skills page?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

MUMMYMTN posted:

How hard to come by are Discipline points (i.e. is this more of a "Carefully Plan your build" sort of game or more of a "Buy random abilities and experiment" sort of game)?

The latter. Some skills can be pretty expensive, but so far (level 20) I've found that it's not too bad assuming you don't literally buy every skill you can on a whim.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
For those that are somewhat ahead: When do the stores in Gran Soren update? More specifically, when can I buy an archistaff for a sorcerer? I'm getting pretty close to switching my pawn from a mage, but I've got no weapon to give him.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

TheArchimage posted:

I'm having a good time with the game, though I'm given to understand I'm not up to the :ds:-esque difficulty spike yet and I'm already struggling. That tentacle beast at the bottom of the spiral staircase, coming right after the nigh-invulnerable ogre, can get hosed. Is that really supposed to be a quest for a level 14 party?

There's a reason your pawns keep yelling at you to just run away. Hint: listen to them.

Anybody started messing around with item combining yet? Any good/easy recipes to make healing potions/herbs?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
To be fair, most of the quests could've been taken straight out of an MMO. But the actual gameplay and combat is so drat fun that it's pretty much the opposite of an MMO.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Dawnfire posted:

Question though. Does anyone know what exactly the 'fitness' augment applies to? Does it apply to actually grappling onto monsters too? I'm somewhat confused by it's description.

It applies to carrying/holding enemies, so when you press or hold the grab button and either pick an enemy up or hold him for your pawns to kill.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Where the hell is Jasper in the Land of Opportunity quest? I've talked to the other two but he doesn't show up as a marker and I've been running around for 10 minutes talking to random NPCs hoping he's one of them.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man, waking up, turning the game on, and resting at an inn to see that a bunch of people have rented your pawn and given you 12k RC for it is weirdly satisfying.

3 stars for appearance though :( It's all because I don't have a wizard hat yet for him so he just looks like a short little fat black kid running around. Anyway add me ("VDay 1") if you want a level ~24 pure damage mage. Will make him a sorcerer as soon as I get enough DP for the last two mage augments.

VDay fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 23, 2012

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Shardok posted:

Discipline Points are also shared between classes. So if you're already at max rank as Mage, may as well change to Sorcerer for a bit to get the free job points there to rank up, and then switch back to Mage (for free, as he already has it unlocked) to get the augments when ya need to.

Thought about doing that, but the offensive mage spells he has right now are too useful to give up. Part of the reason for getting the last two augments (besides the fact that they're awesome) is to smooth the transition over into sorcerer.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Anyone play the game and suddenly were overly encumbered and when you go to check your inventory you noticed you managed to pick up 60 human skulls? Kind of freaking me out here

It's a reward for the "Kill X skeletons" notice board quest that you must've finished at some point.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

DrManiac posted:

When do sorcerers start learning actual attacks spells? I'm at level 4 and I only see statues effect AOEs. I hope I didn't change from being a mage too early :ohdear:

You get a couple more at level 5, and then the real big gently caress-off sorcerer spells come at 6. As people told me earlier though you should be able to just use the mage offensive spells in the meantime. Or did you not go Mage->Sorcerer for some reason?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The pigments say "Use it while changing your character's look" so I assume they're talking about the barber. Maybe the other thing is like that as well?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
:siren: Figured it out by accident :siren:

Back out of your game and you'll have a "Character Edit" option on your main menu.

e: Also if you accidentally click on it you can back out without losing the item.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Has anyone else been getting a "Dragon's Dogma service is not available. Please try again later." semi-error today? Didn't happen once yesterday but been getting it almost every time I rest at an inn today.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Anyone have any hints for the Lost Cause and Thanks Mislaid quests? I think they're two of the DLC ones. They're both just asking to find something, but "Help I lost a letter" isn't exactly a great push forward. The other one mentions a river festivus, but I checked by places with rivers/water near Gran Soren and haven't found anything.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Samurai Sanders posted:

boy, I dunno about turning my mage into a sorcerer, I'm really going to miss those healing spells. Do I want a mage and a sorcerer both in my party, has anyone tried that?

My main pawn is a pure damage sorcerer so I've been hiring a mage pawn to heal/buff me and it's worked out great.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Det_no posted:

Is the game designed to gimp you with advanced classes? Probably not but sure looks like every single one really do make you lose some important part of a toolset.

If there was no downside then there'd be no reason to use the base classes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I apologize in advance for people who are using my pawn Vivi, I accidentally set his speech thing to talk more and now the question doesn't come up in the chair. I set all his other stuff to be timid/meek so hopefully he's not just running around in your games screaming about everything. I'll change it as soon as I get the chance to.

\/\/ Yeah I sat like a dozen times and it kept bringing up the same 2-3 questions.

VDay fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 24, 2012

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Nothing like spending 100k on a pair of daggers to buy/enhance them, only to go do a quest that has a chest with better daggers at the end of it.

:suicide:

e: Hahaha and then a robe on the way out that's better than the one I spent 50k on for my pawn. God damnit game.

VDay fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 24, 2012

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Sankis posted:

Okay so I just got to the capital city and now I have NO loving clue what to do. I'm completely overwhelmed. Where should I head for some quests and stuff I can handle? I'm 12 or so from killing random goblins and stuff.

Feel free to go straight back to the encampment and Cassardis if you haven't finished everything up there.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Anyone using the bow as an Assassin? What are your guys' three skills? I've got lyncean sight for sniping and pentad shot for when I need to spam arrows in hopes of hitting something, but can't really decide on a third between punctured dart(hits multiple enemies, guard breaks) and blunting arrow(poison damage). Anybody tried both out?

Also if no one's tried it yet, Lyncean sight combined with the Preemption augment (double damage against unaware foes) murders mobs and even some of the bigger creatures and lets you clear stuff out from afar. I hit a chimera in the goat head and it took off half a bar of health. Such a loving satisfying feeling and a real :hellyeah: moment.

VDay fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 24, 2012

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I love this loving game. Just spent literally 30 minutes in a ridiculous fight with the Drake that's by the Shadow Fort. ~Level 35 party, took almost every potion/healing thing I had on me, I had to revive my pawns countless times, but I loving finally took him down. My sorcerer pawn got off the most ridiculously clutch spell I've ever seen. I had the wyrm down to about a bar and a quarter life. He rears up to do a swipe when suddenly three big rear end ice spikes come flying out and get him right in the heart. Bam, one health bar gone and suddenly he's on the ground with a tiny bit of life left. Rushed over with my warrior pawn and killed him just before he got up again.

Game of the year, gently caress the haters.

e: Gave the dragon forged shoulder cape I got from the fight to my pawn for maximum swag.

VDay fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 24, 2012

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Shardok posted:

Okay... So... Vivi isn't black any more!? Also... He looks like a viking with that staff sticking up behind his hood.

Yeah I zoned out for a bit while editing him and looking at dyes and forgot to change it back before saving so he's gonna be white until I get to the encampment again to buy another metamorphosis thing (assuming I can).

e: On the plus side he hit rank 8 so he has high bolide (extra meteors) now and will be getting high maelstrom and high seism as soon as I get enough DP.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Dogbutt posted:

So how exactly do you make fake things? I wanna see how far I can go with the power of trickery.

You talk to the guy at the Black Cat, it's a little shop in a random corner, southwest of fountain square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Got my pawn to rank 9 sorcerer :toot:
Now to grind out the 30,000 DP I need to get him all the rank 9 spells/augments :negative:

• Locked thread