Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
What determines what kind of armor you can wear? I'd like to play a Mystic Knight but I don't want to be stuck in robes. I'm envisioning myself as Sauron, all plated up with a mace blasting fools with magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

OK Octopus posted:

Gamertag is OK Octopus if anyone is looking to add people.

You have an Ultros avatar, friend request sent.

This may be the first game in years that I actually go out and buy the strat guide for. There is just so much going on and the game doesn't ever really tell you what to do (like the Catch the thief quest in the first town. I stood in the inn for 10 minutes waiting for a thief to show up. It never told me to go catch a guy running around).

Love the game, and it can be hard at times, but I've gotten into the habit of saving my game ALOT.

I've been running around with Mill Village and Hackan Slash's pawns. Hackan's pawn sounds like a post op female tranny with a deep rear end voice and TinyTitus just runs funny with those little legs and fat body :3:

Gamertag is BEAR OVERDRIVE is anyone wants my super-aggressive Rastafarian Mage pawn Orion to be rude to them.

Edit: In case you didn't know you can filter pawns by friends on the riftstone in the Rift. I dicked with it for 20 minutes before I figured that out.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 23, 2012

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Zombie Boat posted:

I'll have this waiting at home when I'm back from vacation. Can't wait to see how terrible your pawn looks.

He doesn't look terrible, he looks bad-rear end. Serious pawn for the first playthrough.

Edit: He's black with white dreadlocks and a white beard and scowls all the time. I trained him to always answer everything either aggressively or arrogantly so he's just a straight up dick all of the time.

Rastafarian rear end in a top hat Mage

Gestalt Intellect posted:

How bad are the one-shots in general? Usually that sort of thing really pisses me off although I did trudge all the way through Demon's and Dark Souls falling off cliffs many times, but the frustration from one-shots mostly comes down to how quickly I can retry.

If you can load manual saves made from anywhere in the world it wouldn't be so bad, but I've heard completely opposite things about how that works--Can you manually save anywhere and then load from that save so that you don't get 40 minutes into a quest and then have to do it all over again, because one fight at the end one-shotted you and the game never autosaved before then?

I have not yet been one-shotted and I'm level 13ish and just got to Gran Soren. I've fought a few battles where I got my rear end beat nasty (by bandits), but I've never been killed in one hit, so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I have, however, spent a few hours doing side quests and roaming the countryside killing poo poo so I'm a little over-leveled.

Save all the time. Won a fight? Save. Took a piss? Save. Saw an elf? Save. SAVE SAVE SAVE. If you die you can load from a save or from a checkpoint, so saving all the time makes it easier.

For all the talk about how hard the game is I'm really impressed. It's just tough enough to be fun but not tough enough to make me power bomb my controller.

Except when I get stunlocked by bandits with 2H weapons. gently caress that poo poo.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 23, 2012

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, has anyone some impressions of the fighter and warrior classes vocations? Are they as dull as they usually tend to be in RPG's or did Capcom actually invest some fun Devil May Cry gameplay into them?

There is a quote somewhere (in the OP maybe) that gushes over combos and timing swings and whatnot with a warrior. I'm level 13 and no matter how I press buttons, Y only ever does 1 kind of attack and X always always does the same 3 hit combo.

So unless it changes later or I need to buy a skill or something, warrior combat gets stale pretty fast (I don't care, but some people might).

Edit:

bleep posted:

Varying the timing of attacks and adding pauses will give you completely separate attacks, you can cancel into block then attack out of block, and most normal attacks seem to be special cancellable. For an example combo that uses a variety of attacks with the fighter, you can do: light, pause, light, pause, light, light, Cymbal Attack (Left Special+Heavy), pause, Skyward Slash (Right Special+Heavy).

The more I dig into this the more interesting it gets. You can combo out of the equivalent of Devil May Cry's Stinger(Blink Strike) with the right timing, and moves are jump cancellable. Using this, you can do the following with the fighter: Blink Strike (Right Special+Light), pause, light, pause, light, light, jump, jumping heavy, pause, light, light, 3 hit Cymbal Attack (Left Special+Heavy, Heavy, Heavy), pause, Skyward Lash (Right Special+Heavy, repeated press). The part shown in italics is a loop that can be done repeatedly as the lights after jumping heavy are jump cancellable.

As far as I can tell this is wrong. If I do "light, pause, light, pause, light, light, Cymbal" I perform the exact same swing twice(with a pause in between them), then the same swing and the same SECOND swing that always follows the first my always-the-same three hit X attack, then a Cymbal attack.

Level up and go back later. It's easier with more HP and better gear.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 23, 2012

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Whoever's pawn is Fluffles, holy poo poo.

He's a giant dude in women's armor and whenever we fight bandits he just grabs them and laughs this really freaky deep laugh while I murder them. loving awesome.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Lotish posted:

Nuts, I want to be knocking around with this game instead of working. Even if I'm just wasting time running up and down a beach trying to stab seagulls, it's fun!

Does anyone on 360 have a healing pawn I can borrow? Vivi is really nice for damage but I'm kind of getting my rear end kicked.

Yeah, add me BEAR OVERDRIVE.

My pawn Orion is straight specced for healing and will always focus on cleansing and healing before anything else.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

When I'm doing a quest that a pawn has already done before though, their advice becomes awesome, I think that's what they really had in mind with the pawn conversation system. I come to a locked door and the pawn is like "oh yeah I know where the key is, follow me". It's like playing an RPG with a friend who knows the game better than you, like I used to do when I was a kid.

This is the most baller part of the game. I took Conflikted and his girlfriends pawns and since they're higher level than me every quest is just "Hold on I got this" *smashes 20 monsters, laughs, does the Fonzy "Heeeyyyyy" point to me*

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

So Orion, my awesome healer pawn, is number 76 on the leader board. Conflikted's awesome tank Fluffles is in the 40s somewhere.

Anyone else have top 100 pawns?

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

I think I'm going to go for the Jester on my NG+ playthrough so I can see what happens if you Take the wyrm's bargain without feeling bad.
it's always the same thing you let the dragon kill the person then you're the duke and you make a sad face and then it's game over

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

So I'm now on my third play through, and I have to say this is one of the best games I have played in ages.

I'm only level 67, and even at this level the Ur-Dragon is nigh untouchable. I can, however, burn down regular Chimera, Cyclops, an other large monsters fairly quickly. Now my only concern is finding a good grinding spot to break level 100.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Now that I'm actually at a computer, I wanted to share some knowledge with goons since I've dropped 60 hours into this game over the last week.

- SAVE OFTEN. Save all of the time. You will die, it will be bullshit, then you'll die again. Some things WILL one shot you. If you save all of the time, it doesn't matter. PROTIP - press START then BACK to "quicksave"

- You're going to be weak as hell for a while in the beginning. AT least until you hit level 20ish. Things like sword and board bandits will wreck you.

- ENDGAME SPOILERS HERE: If you choose not to fight the Dragon, or God, when you get to him, it plays a little cutscene then gives you a game over and makes you reload your save. You do get an achievement for choosing these options but they don't progress the story, meaning you HAVE to fight the Dragon and God

- You can't gift Dragonforged items. If you equip someones pawn with Dragonforged items they will disappear into the ether. A group of goons that have been playing together have tested this multiple times and it always fails.

- Choose your class and equipment carefully before you fight the Dragon. Upon killing the Dragon everything you're wearing becomes Dragonforged, and you will get a unique weapon or weapons depending on your class. I beat the Dragon the first time with a Mystic Knight and got a Dragon Mace. I beat him the second time and got a set of Dragon Daggers and a Dragon Magick Bow.

If anyone has any questions I can answer most anything reliably having beat the game twice and poured over the strategy guide extensively.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Malachite posted:

Does anyone know where to find a wyrm? Supposedly theres one in Everfall but I'm having trouble finding it.

Wyrms and Wyverns are world spawns in post game. There is one that trolls around the skies outside Grand Soren in post game.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Now that I have intimate knowledge of the game mechanics and how leveling works, I'm thinking of deleting my thrice-game-completed, level 80-something save and starting over from scratch.

I'll max Fighter then Warrior for their Augments and then level Assassin for the rest of my time, hopefully build a melee damage powerhouse.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

I leave for a week for work, come home, turn on my Xbox, and my pawn has gained me 2.8 million rift crystals, but dropped from rank 53 in the world to rank 103.

Since I have no use for rift crystals, I'm going to wipe my thrice-completed game save and start over!

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Apso posted:

What level and class is your pawn? Mines around 60 and still nets gently caress all in terms of rift crystals, like 300 when returning from another player.

He's in the 70's and he's a dedicated healer. I got so much RC because he was used so much when the game released that at peak he was the top 30th pawn on the list. He gets used so much thy I makes RC hand over fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Scott Bakula posted:

People don't seem to be looking at it much, but Magick Archer is a lot of fun at high vocation ranks. Blowing things up with explosive rivet, a great aoe attack that locks onto 10 targets and 6 fold bolt is a great knock down for smaller enemies. The melee attacks are also fun, hundred kisses as standard, but setting yourself on fire and climbing on the big monsters is great.

It starts off comparatively weaker to most classes though because it takes quite a long time before you get an upgade to the starting magic bow. The fact that all the bow attacks are elemental is good too. Its a really versatile class.

This is false. Magick Archer bow attacks are not elemental, they're physical. The other HUGE problem with MA's (and why they're broken) is that elemental enchants on their bows do not proc the elemental effect or damage with special attacks. So if you have a fire enchant and use and MA skill, the skill only does base damage and gets no bonus damage or effect.

• Locked thread