Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

On second thought I guess more people will be free on a Saturday night than a weeknight. I know it's short notice but anyone free?

PS I can't join LINE because I have neither facebook nor network coverage (not even roaming) so I can't set an account up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

peanut posted:

PM Aredna for max hard chilling.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

simplefish posted:

PS I can't join LINE

Welcome to the club, LINE is terrible and joining it is terrible and if you have LINE I unironically judge you. My wife is locked out of her LINE and can't get back in and she's a gd Japanese citizen. It's literally the worst

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hey join LINE! all you need is: an amazing desire to get on another social media platform to try to connect to some people you may not connect with on literally every other platform you've registered in your entire life

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That's my opinion of LINE, I wrote that

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hate LINE, and I'm going to have another beer. I know this isn't the LAN thread. Sorry!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I agree with gbm, line sucks a fat one.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Registering for LINE sucks but once you have it it's crazy easy to use and has the best stickers. The second best part of LINE is turning off alerts by individual user.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

peanut posted:

Registering for LINE sucks but once you have it it's crazy easy to use and has the best stickers. The second best part of LINE is turning off alerts by individual user.

and tsum tsum

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hey zmcnulty you went to Yakushima before right? I totally saw you post pictures of it in the general thread.

I'm going to go there and am curious where you stayed at/what you did/what you'd recommend I not miss. We're planning on doing a 7-8 hour hike through Shiratani Unsuikyo for sure.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Hey zmcnulty you went to Yakushima before right? I totally saw you post pictures of it in the general thread.

I'm going to go there and am curious where you stayed at/what you did/what you'd recommend I not miss. We're planning on doing a 7-8 hour hike through Shiratani Unsuikyo for sure.

I did it last March. You really ought to rent a car if you want to see stuff, public transport is pretty patchy and there are enough hills to make bicycling not fun (unless you're into bicycling for its own sake, I guess). You can bring one over on the ferry from Kagoshima, but in most cases it makes more sense to fly in and rent. On that, unless you're already going to be down in southern Kyushu, flying from Fukuoka or Nagasaki or wherever is probably cheaper and less hassle than overlanding + ferrying it. Travellers commonly overestimate how much money ferries save you over flying, especially in Japan.

On the lower end of accommodation, if having your own bathroom is important be sure to read the fine print because a lot of them have common facilities. We stayed at the Minshuku Kaisei 2 which had own bathrooms and wasn't much more expensive than the others that didn't, and as a bonus didn't try to foist overpriced minshuku washoku meals on you.

Didn't get to do any major hikes as I had my parents in tow, but there were a number of easier hikes at Shiratani Unsuikyo and we did something like a 4 hour loop that was pretty good. Also saw the big waterfall, drove entirely around the island (gets down to 1 lane for a good stretch, don't recommend having a large car if you're not used to tiny Japanese roads), making stops as we went, can't really remember everything. If you don't mind getting seen naked, there's a (free, IIRC) seaside onsen as well.

There was also an Italian restaurant out in the middle of nowhere we stopped at that was very good. Probably the only one on the island so shouldn't be too hard to find via googling, if you're interested.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Sounds like PR and I had wildly different experiences there. For starters I'd say the main attraction of the island is hiking around, so a car will only get you as far as the trailhead anyway. Buses obviously aren't as frequent but it's not like terrible (maybe one every 30min instead of one every 10 min?). All of the tourist attractions are well serviced too.

Also my friend and I rented bicycles and biked the entire east side of the island, from the ferry dock to the seaside onsen. I don't remember it being especially hilly or challenging.

So for hiking you may also want to consider Jomon Sugi. It's an all day one but definitely worth it.

I think we stayed at a place called Yakushima Youth Hostel though I screwed up the reservations and we had to move once. Will check the name of that second place, definitely better than the hostel.

Make sure to try the deer sashimi! Also went to a snack and the hostess said she was overwhelmed the one time in her life she visited Fukuoka, because it was too urban.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

zmcnulty posted:

I think we stayed at a place called Yakushima Youth Hostel though I screwed up the reservations and we had to move once. Will check the name of that second place, definitely better than the hostel.

Make sure to try the deer sashimi! Also went to a snack and the hostess said she was overwhelmed the one time in her life she visited Fukuoka, because it was too urban.

Haha, when I was in college the youth hostel would have sounded perfectly fine, but these days I'm pretty ok with paying more money for a fancier place. Will do on the deer sushi - although I'm a bit afraid that I wont like it. Deer is generally pretty gamey, and pretty much anything gamey like lamb turns me off.

I'm considering getting a guide for Yakushima. My friend who is coming with me doesn't speak/read Japanese even though I can, and it might enhance a trip.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

This is a pretty ignorant question, but I hear all sorts of flak about Eastern work ethic being pretty awful compared to what I am used to in the West. If I wanted to work for a bit in Japan would the only hope of finding a "western" work ethic be within a US embassy ?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol that's not going to happen

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

This is a pretty ignorant question, but I hear all sorts of flak about Eastern work ethic being pretty awful compared to what I am used to in the West. If I wanted to work for a bit in Japan would the only hope of finding a "western" work ethic be within a US embassy ?

Yeah it is an ignorant question, so you should do a bit of googling and reading and become less ignorant before asking

Also, you want to come to Japan? Don't have a specific job in mind or applicable skills? Welcome to the wonderful world of English teaching!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Eh, booked a flight to Japan for the end of March. I'm flying into Osaka and would like a recommendation for a hotel/AirBnB/whatever in the area. I'm gonna travel around a bit, but my go to hotel has no available rooms for the weekends anywhere near Osaka (Fukuyama? Nagoya? No problem). Thanks!

e: I guess I should have said that I was fishing more for "AirBnB won't be impossible with my nonexistent level of Japanese, right?" I see a few places that shouldn't be an issue; I can just send a sim card to my buddy in Kobe and pick it up in the morning.

Phone fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 2, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The end of march is spring break - peak time for tourism, changing jobs and moving for school. Goobatte ne

(I've only stayed at Takeyaso (Amagasaki City) or Hotel Chuo (Shin-Imamiya Station) because I'm cheap and weird

peanut fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 2, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
That's the point of airbnb you silly. You can message potential hosts and see who responds. And lots of profiles are written in English. Even most of the Japanese profiles will have some rudimentary understanding of English.

Now setting up a pickup or checkin time will be trickier. If you have constant internet to message or Skype call your hosts that's great. An actually cell number to call even better. But some hosts have specific instructions already laid down to automate the whole process without seeing your tourist face.

Mwaha!
Feb 26, 2013
So I'm heading to Japan with some buddies tommorow for a couple of weeks (splitting time between Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto) and I was wandering if there are any tours/sights around these places (especially in tokyo, since that's where we'll be the most)that we really need to go to that require booking/tickets in advance?

Also, since my friends are ditching me to go skiing, leaving me in Tokyo alone for a couple of days, are there any cool things a goon on his lonesome could do for that time?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Tokyo has a population of 38.6 million people. There are "cool things" to do in Tokyo.

What sort of cool things does forums poster "Mwaha!" like to do?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Days alone are good for museums, wandering and eating whatever you want (non-Japanese food)

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Mwaha! posted:

Also, since my friends are ditching me to go skiing, leaving me in Tokyo alone for a couple of days, are there any cool things a goon on his lonesome could do for that time?

For your days alone, check out meetup.com for Tokyo and go to anything that looks interesting to you.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The only constructive advice I can offer is getting some Studio Ghibli tickets beforehand but you are probably too late :ohdear:

inklesspen posted:

Tokyo has a population of 38.6 million people. There are "cool things" to do in Tokyo.

What sort of cool things does forums poster "Mwaha!" like to do?

:swoon:

Well Shanghai as a population of only 27 million but Tokyo is a hundred times more cooler :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
New thread plz.

• Locked thread