Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ara posted:

Wow, thanks. I totally forgot about that. Actually I just tried changing the first 1 into a 2 in the URL and it seems like the second part is also on here! These are going straight into my Kindle.

edit: Oh, there's actually 4 parts on here. All together these are still just the 上巻?

Yeah, they're all just the first volume. You'll have to buy the second half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

DaiJiaTeng posted:

Just out of curiousity Orenronen,

I've been watching the LP which has been amazing, and I've really wanted to try the game out for myself.

Problem is I don't have a PSP. Have you seen anything about any plans to release the game on other platforms? 3DS, PC, anything at all?

As much as I wish I could, I can't go throwing down money on a PSP just for these two games.

Thanks, and keep up the outstanding work on your LP!

The first game is out on the iPhone/iPad now.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
I think I found the best shirt that was ever done on this silly planet.
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=CGD2-38552

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Yeah that shirt is boss. It, Leon's shirt design, and the Fenrir logo would definitely be things I would actually rock.

orenronen posted:

The amount of sex jokes was also increased tenfold, but they were funny so I don't care. Though for the life of me I don't know how I'm going to translate the several relevant occurrences of 逝く.

This is old, but translate "go" as "come" when they're talking about cumming rather than going. Easy as that. I have a feeling the J-punk girl makes a lot of those jokes.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I would like the logo of Naegi's hood on a shirt.

MadRhetoric posted:

This is old, but translate "go" as "come" when they're talking about cumming rather than going. Easy as that. I have a feeling the J-punk girl makes a lot of those jokes.

The character introduction suggests that the cook is a pervert, so that's another candidate.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

MadRhetoric posted:

That's not it, though - the word, with the kanji given, is a not very often used way to say "die". It just sounds like 行く.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

orenronen posted:

That's not it, though - the word, with the kanji given, is a not very often used way to say "die". It just sounds like 行く.

Is that a reference to Shakespeare's "die a little death," meaning 'orgasm'?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

likecnsnnts posted:

Is that a reference to Shakespeare's "die a little death," meaning 'orgasm'?

Let's actually give you the entire scenario and see if anyone can figure out a clever way to do it without changing the entire thing. This is from memory, so it may not be exactly right, but still. The spoilers are as light as I could make them - they don't really reveal anything significant.

Discussing death by stubbing during the school trial. A girl who sometimes has a strange way with words (that is, she's most certainly not doing this on purpose for the pun) and a somewhat lecherous guy.

Girl: "I would've died too if I had something this long stuck in me.", using the archaic verb "iku", meaning "to die". Unfortunately, "iku" is also slang for "to cum", as you're probably aware.
Guy: "Would you mind repeating that?"
Girl: "I would've died too if I had something this long stuck in me."
Guy: "Just one more time, please, so I can record it."

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Did you mean stabbing?

If so, you could make it about how much blood there was, only the speaker just refers to how much their body would have expelled liquid or such instead of actually referring to expelling blood directly.

That would preserve the joke, but it would make the conversation slightly tortured. There's no good, clean way of doing it in English, really.

EDIT: An alternative would be to use the word enraptured. Aside from referring to experiencing great joy, it also refers to the whole Rapture thing where you are carried up to God. Similar double connotation if you read into it, but again: it's tortured.

EDIT 2: ...I am making this too difficult. She could just say a variation of "I would be going to Heaven too". It doesn't immediately mean "orgasm", but the joke would still be instantly obvious to English speakers as soon as she mentioned the long object.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 23, 2012

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

orenronen posted:

Let's actually give you the entire scenario and see if anyone can figure out a clever way to do it without changing the entire thing. This is from memory, so it may not be exactly right, but still. The spoilers are as light as I could make them - they don't really reveal anything significant.

Discussing death by stubbing during the school trial. A girl who sometimes has a strange way with words (that is, she's most certainly not doing this on purpose for the pun) and a somewhat lecherous guy.

Girl: "I would've died too if I had something this long stuck in me.", using the archaic verb "iku", meaning "to die". Unfortunately, "iku" is also slang for "to cum", as you're probably aware.

Girl: "I would've gone over the edge too, if I had something this long stuck in me."

It's a slightly stilted phrasing for both meanings, which may not necessarily be a bad thing, if the character is the sort to use archaic verbs in normal parlance. It probably enhances the 'hold it, did she just say what I think she said?' factor, if subtly.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 23, 2012

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

orenronen posted:

Let's actually give you the entire scenario...

Honestly, I think it's good as it is. Less astute readers may not get the full double entendre, but they'll still pick up on the "something this long stuck in me" in a "that's what she said" kind of way. And the whole point of the joke is the sex-tinged double-meaning anyway.

All the variations seem to be sacrificing verisimilitude for the sake of the joke.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Sony released some PSN avatars for both games. Too bad that you can't get them for your non-Japanese account.
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201209/27021960.html

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

likecnsnnts posted:

Honestly, I think it's good as it is. Less astute readers may not get the full double entendre, but they'll still pick up on the "something this long stuck in me" in a "that's what she said" kind of way. And the whole point of the joke is the sex-tinged double-meaning anyway.

All the variations seem to be sacrificing verisimilitude for the sake of the joke.

Agreed; here I thought it was some kind of weird obscure Japanese pun that relies on one's knowledge of cherry blossom metaphors, but as it is, it sounds blatant enough.

Also, WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED IN THE LP HOLY poo poo YOU GUYS NEED TO CHECK IT OUT!

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Is there a larger, better quality, shot of this out anyway? I'd love one.

I don't remember if it shows up earlier but it does show up at the end of the second trial.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Is there a larger, better quality, shot of this out anyway? I'd love one.

Not larger, but it did appear again in a recent update of the LP, and since I now have a much better capturing method, here's a less blurry version:

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Didn't Slowbeef also make a better version from the iPad edition of the game?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

SingerOfW posted:

Didn't Slowbeef also make a better version from the iPad edition of the game?

Yeah, I think asking him may be a good idea.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

There was a Dangan Ronpa event in Tokyo today where they announced not one but four different SDR2 manga serializations, each approaching the story from a different direction. Also, figures from the Good Smile Company, most likely Nendroids. Characters and more details to be announced at a later date (I would love a Syo/Fukawa Figma with a changeable face...)

This series is going to drain my wallet.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 29, 2012

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

orenronen posted:

There was a Dangan Ronpa event in Tokyo today where they announced not one but four different SDR2 manga serializations, each approaching the story from a different direction. Also, figures from the Good Smile Company, most likely Nendroids. Characters and more details to be announced at a later date (I would love a Syo/Fukawa Figma with a changeable face...)

This series is going to drain my wallet.
You might want to spoiler the Syo part of that post.

I'd love to get a Celes figure, but I don't like Figmas and Nendoroids that much. It always feels like a waste of a good character design to me.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

I'd love to get a Celes figure, but I don't like Figmas and Nendoroids that much. It always feels like a waste of a good character design to me.

I like posable figures :colbert:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
On translationchat: There's already a serviceable dick joke in the translation; you could use "gone" or "been lost" or something, but that seems like forcing the Japanese wordplay instead of getting the gist of the joke across.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

So, after spending, like, two months on the DR2 website Mono-Mono Machine, I finally got all the special content... except for the two rare items. I expected them to unlock when I get everything else, but no dice. At least I can hope that my chances are now a bit better, I don't really want to spend another month on two items.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

orenronen posted:

Might be reaching but: "I'd have been finished off too, if that had been inside me."

Mix and match to your liking.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Also, hi res.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

slowbeef posted:

Also, hi res.

And here it is stitched together:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

slowbeef posted:

Might be reaching but: "I'd have been finished off too, if that had been inside me."

Mix and match to your liking.

Hm, maybe "Having that inside of me would have finished me too"?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

neongrey posted:

Hm, maybe "Having that inside of me would have finished me too"?

What about going the other way? Instead of making the cum/die pun, you go with stabbing/penetration like:

"If you stuck that thing in me, I'd never be able to handle it." or something.

That's kinda what you had, but trying to keep the original pun might get awkward. Er, moreso.

Translation's kinda fun. Wish I knew a second language.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

That might be a bit better. This particular one twinges me because I know there must be an elegant way to frame and that particular innuendo is right up my alley but I just can't figure it out.

I'd just scream if you stuck that in me? It's a bit further afield, but...

stoic665
Nov 8, 2009
In the original quote she emphasized both length and thickness, right? So maybe something like: 'Getting penetrated by something that long and thick would've finished anyone off!'. Sounds kinda stilted of course, but the way that character speaks isn't exactly grammatically correct either so....

Incidentally, that was probably one of my favourite exchanges of the game... made me chuckle quite a bit. Not easy to translate well though!

stoic665 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 5, 2012

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

stoic665 posted:

In the original quote she emphasized both length and thickness, right? So maybe something like: 'Getting penetrated by something that long and thick would've finished anyone off!'. Sounds kinda stilted of course, but the way that character speaks isn't exactly grammatically correct either so....

Incidentally, that was probably one of my favourite exchanges of the game... made me chuckle quite a bit. Not easy to translate well though!

Here, I looked it up:

あんなに太くて大っきいモノが刺さったら、すぐに逝ってしまいます!

………………
すみません…よく聞こえなかったのですが…

ですから…あんなに太くて大っきいモノが刺さったら、すぐに逝ってしまいますって!

あ、もう1回だけ…ちょっと録音をするので…

I think it's just best to leave the pun out of it, though. As others said a straight "If I had something this long and thick stuck in me I'd die too" gets the spirit of the line better than any attempt to force a pun in.

And, yeah, the silly sex jokes were great. What cracked me up the most was 男の尻尾.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I think people can get the innuendo, even if not an explicit pun.

Although I did like slowbeef's attempt.

stoic665
Nov 8, 2009

orenronen posted:

I think it's just best to leave the pun out of it, though. As others said a straight "If I had something this long and thick stuck in me I'd die too" gets the spirit of the line better than any attempt to force a pun in.

And, yeah, the silly sex jokes were great. What cracked me up the most was 男の尻尾.

Yeah, that's probably the best way to go about it actually; people will get the gist of it, and it won't feel so forced.

Heh, that's got to be one of Souda's quotes, right? Might be time for me to replay the game again...

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

stoic665 posted:

Heh, that's got to be one of Souda's quotes, right? Might be time for me to replay the game again...

No, that was Owari's imagination running wild about how certain feats of acrobatics were done in you-know-who's murder.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
I'm sort of tiptoeing around this thread (and the LP thread as well) because the game seems so fascinating to me, that I want to play it for myself. I don't really want to read too much on either thread, but is it true that there's a team that's working on getting the actual game itself translated? I'd kind of love to be able to play this for myself, just because the concept seems really cool/insane.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

SingerOfW posted:

So, after spending, like, two months on the DR2 website Mono-Mono Machine, I finally got all the special content... except for the two rare items. I expected them to unlock when I get everything else, but no dice. At least I can hope that my chances are now a bit better, I don't really want to spend another month on two items.
And now I lost my cookies and have to collect everything from scratch again. This is how despair feels like.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I just got the DR2 soundtrack, which is easily worth 3000 yen. It's on 3 CDs, has 102 tracks (though a few are the slightly remixed DR1 tracks that are in the second game), and is just fantastic.

Also, I'm glad I read the Amazon reviews or I'd have never found out (DR2 character name and music spoilers) that the back-side of the little cardboard sleeve in the case has the lyrics for Ibuki Mioda's song, which are pretty much indecipherable otherwise. Those are some lyrics!. Also, the 8- and 16-bit versions of the investigation theme are going to be on constant loop for the foreseeable future.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Good to know that Ibuki actually sings something, I wish we could see some of Yamada's or Fukawa's works in the game. Or would that be way too awkward? At least there's Maizono, she's supposed to sing, too.

Speaking of DR2-related goods, some sweet stuff is now being sold on AmiAmi (minor spoilers of two characters' names):
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=CGD2-41392
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=CGD2-41381
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=CGD2-41405
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=CGD2-41394

EDIT: Seems like today is Sonia's birthday, do we actually have the list for the rest of the DR2 cast?

SingerOfW fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 13, 2012

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

SingerOfW posted:

EDIT: Seems like today is Sonia's birthday, do we actually have the list for the rest of the DR2 cast?

That can be found here. Of course, there are obvious DR2 spoilers, so no peekin', non-DR2 players.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm not entirely sure if this is a spoiler or not, but it seems to be, so I'm bringing up something from the DR2 translation discussion here from the LP thread. Continuing on what I said about keeping the style consistent with DR1, if some of the cast comes back for DR2 it would be reaaally weird if they started to talk with a different voice all of a sudden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
While we are talking about spoilers, what would be your policy on DR1 spoiler on the DR2 LP, orenronen? I imagine there would be a fair amount of discussion comparing the two, especially when some of the DR1 cast is returning.