Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Ignis posted:

NISA has lost the publishing rights for Danganronpa and a bunch of games will be delisted from PSN by the end of the month.

Most likely SpikeChunsoft will re publish V3 on psn later, but who knows if they’ll bother relisting the vita games
https://nisamerica.com/blog/danganronpa-update

Well if any more Danganronpa games get made it will hopefully be a good sign for the translation quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The general consensus is that Ultra Despair Girls is bad right? I've always been under that impression but it's currently £4 on the PlayStation store and I was wondering if it was worth trying.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

The gameplay is a bit janky, but if you can get used to it then it isn't terrible. The character arcs for the main characters are, in my opinion, legitimately good and along with their interactions are definitely the best part of the game. Where UDG really falls down is in the details of all the other parts of the story. It tries to offset the dark subject matter by making jokes about/around it, but while it's clear to me that the writing is trying to say the right thing, there are a lot of points where when the jokes happen and what they try to joke about just...doesn't work. Ultimately I'd say that £4 is a low enough price that it's worth checking out but fine to drop if you find yourself unable to get past the points that are just flat out bad.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I finished UDG less than a week ago and I'd say it's worth it if you're curious about how things played out in the world and some origin story stuff for various characters. The chapters feels slightly too long, but even on the hardest difficulty it doesn't have much pushback preventing you from getting some new story and information so it's doesn't take terribly long to finish. I managed it in week doing a chapter a day.

For what it's worth, I think the animated sequences and the commitment to more of the dialogue including voice acting were really well done and seemed like a real step up for the series.

Fair warning though: If you haven't seen the Danganronpa 3 anime yet there's a few moments where stuff happens that references UDG on top of an episode titled Ultra Despair Girls, but it shouldn't affect you much in the bigger picture of the Hope's Peak story.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 26, 2020

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I finally played my old copy of 2 and boy are those touch controls garbage.

If I primarily care about the mysteries and can take a pass on the world-building, should I skip straight to V3? Or is there stuff in the side content or 3 that's either essential or has interesting mystery content?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I just mainlined the three games, did none of the bonus modes, and it's all fine. There's a few events that only get explained in the anime or novels, which I read about on the wiki after finishing V3, but honestly I don't think knowing about any of that would've really enhanced the experience much. V3 is pretty seperate from 1 and 2 for the most part anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah there's nothing in UDG or the anime that's essential to V3. I'm not even sure they get referenced at all.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I was fooled into watching the 3 anime by being told it was essential to the overall story. It’s not, don’t watch it, it’s dreadful.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Instead of watching the part 3 anime, people should just watch the 2.5 OVA

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah 3 kindof sucks and as far as I can tell V3 completely ignores it anyway

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I kind of liked Despair side because 2 had my favourite cast and it's just nice to see more of them. Future side is garbage for sure though.

Except for Mondo butter.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Uchikoshi's and Kodaka's new game Death March Club / World's End Club is out exclusively on Apple Arcade as of today I think.

However, the marketing for the title has been really strange and even though it was originally promised to be their "final death game together" , it might not be a death game at all anymore?

I'd love to play it to verify but I have no apple devices. A shame.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 4, 2020

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Supposedly it's coming to Switch in spring: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/worlds-end-club-launches-september-4-for-apple-arcade-in-spring-2021-for-switch

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Squiddycat posted:

However, the marketing for the title has really strange and even though it was originally promised to be their "final death game together" , it might not be a death game at all anymore?

I played the first 20 minutes.

The initial setup is a very Uchikoshi/Kodaka-esque explicit death game, gimmick wristbands included. But I have a feeling the story will end up without much actual death at all, and that this isn't a late change, but what the story was always going to be like.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Squiddycat posted:

However, the marketing for the title has been really strange and even though it was originally promised to be their "final death game together"

Wait is it supposed to be "their final death game, made together?" It doesn't make sense to call it their "final death game together" since as far as I can tell, it is also their first.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It sorta irks me they're hyping it up as a big deal after UDG, DR3 and arguably V3 were such a nosedive in quality anyways.

What did Kodaka even do before DR1?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

MegaZeroX posted:

Wait is it supposed to be "their final death game, made together?" It doesn't make sense to call it their "final death game together" since as far as I can tell, it is also their first.

I'm bad at English tbh

I think the quote was that they both make death games, and that this one will be the last one either of them do

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

It sorta irks me they're hyping it up as a big deal after UDG, DR3 and arguably V3 were such a nosedive in quality anyways.

Are they hyping it up? This game got a surprise release (they're calling it that on twitter, even though if you paid attention Apple announced it a few weeks ago), and nearly no promotion. In any case, it's an Uchikoshi game, not a Kodaka game. Kodaka's credit on this is Creative Director, which doesn't mean much. I thought Somnium Files was pretty good, so I hope this will end up being an interesting story too.

Before DR1 Kodaka was a staff writer at Spike, so he did some writing on a variety of games. He also wrote some licensed property novels. The one major game pre-DR1 he's credited on as the principal writer is a Detective Conan/Kindaichi Case Files crossover game for the Nintendo DS, which is supposed to be pretty good for what it is and has a full fan translation patch.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

The only one of those that is even really a death game is V3 and its the best Danganronpa game so...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Shyrka posted:

I kind of liked Despair side because 2 had my favourite cast and it's just nice to see more of them. Future side is garbage for sure though.

Except for Mondo butter.

I think Despair started off strong but then the cast of DR2 gets pushed to the side for the new characters and Junko. The class also being mass converted to Despair also felt kinda cheap despite how brutal Chiaki's execution was.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Does this remind anyone of something from v3?

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1296961187746390016

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think Despair started off strong but then the cast of DR2 gets pushed to the side for the new characters and Junko. The class also being mass converted to Despair also felt kinda cheap despite how brutal Chiaki's execution was.

Yeah, the thing happening en masse rather than it being a tailored individual thing was a bit of a let down.

I did like seeing more of Junko and Mukuro though. Dub Junko has some great lines, and even though a lot of people hate Mukuro for doing something so heinous, I kinda love her referring to 'lobotomies for dummies' and just fiddling her way through the teacher's brain, it's just so dumb it loops around to great.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orenronen posted:

Are they hyping it up? This game got a surprise release (they're calling it that on twitter, even though if you paid attention Apple announced it a few weeks ago), and nearly no promotion. In any case, it's an Uchikoshi game, not a Kodaka game. Kodaka's credit on this is Creative Director, which doesn't mean much. I thought Somnium Files was pretty good, so I hope this will end up being an interesting story too.

It's probably just the internet circles I hang around in then making it seem like it was supposed to be a big deal. I liked DR2 a lot but the series just ended up leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I didn't see much of it but I liked what I saw of Somnium at any rate, so that bodes better.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/1301796449449996288?s=19

Oh okay then. Weird.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 4, 2020

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

This has precedence on Apple Arcade (the latest Shantae game was initially released on AA when it was about %50 done, some other narrative-based games were incomplete on first release), but so far additional content was always added back into the Apple version via updates. My guess is that Apple enforces a deadline in their contracts but doesn't care if there are significant content updates later.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/1302001933029343235?s=20

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess that makes my decision to wait for the Switch version easier

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So I came back to the game after a pause, I forgot why Mondo kills Chihiro, was it because he just wanted to get out or he had a specific reason to him?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ulio posted:

So I came back to the game after a pause, I forgot why Mondo kills Chihiro, was it because he just wanted to get out or he had a specific reason to him?

It was a heat of the moment thing. Chihiro said something that caused Mondo to react by taking a swing at him with a weight, caught him off-guard and accidentally killed him. Mondo covered it up not because he was trying to escape, but because he'd made a promise between men that he wouldn't reveal Chihiro's secret.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

W.T. Fits posted:

It was a heat of the moment thing. Chihiro said something that caused Mondo to react by taking a swing at him with a weight, caught him off-guard and accidentally killed him. Mondo covered it up not because he was trying to escape, but because he'd made a promise between men that he wouldn't reveal Chihiro's secret.

He could still have admitted it in a way that wouldn't have pointed to Chihiro's sex at all (such as making himself seem like an unrepentant murderer trying to get out). He still covered it up to avoid his own secret being revealed to the others.

But y'know, teenagers.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Oh ya that makes sense, also what happens to Taka shocked me.

Also surprising how sometimes this game asks such deep questions like Sakura being worried about Toko despite her split personality being a serial killer. I mean I wouldn't care if a serial killer dies but does Toko deserve to die?

Ulio fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 30, 2020

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just finished the first game, they kinda ruined the surprise for the last trial when Makoto first gets that picture in the Gym, that was way too obvious. There were some trials that were clear cut but there were always some interesting twists in each of them that were kinda hard to predict. Wish you got more time to spend with your classmates since the extra backstory really fleshed out their characters.

Also what's up with Monokuma waking up after the epilogue?

Ulio fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 6, 2020

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Play the second game

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Finished V3. Based on my immediate post-game enthusiasm level I think I liked it more than 1 but not as much as 2?

I played with keyboard and mouse; I'd heard bad things but it actually felt okay? Way better than touch controls in 2 on the Vita. It's obviously a game designed for a controller before all else but the token KB+M support wasn't offensively bad.

Whole game spoilers follow, naturally.

I'm sure everyone says this but let's get it out of the way immediately: Kaede was a cool protagonist; I would have liked her to have stuck around longer. Shuichi was fine by the end - and obviously the character called "Shuichi" voiced by Megumi Hayashibara was always going to be the protagonist in this Detective Conan fangame - but it's still a little disappointing.

I didn't really like the lying mechanic. It never felt nearly as clear what the game was asking for in those sections, but at the same time it didn't feel like they did enough with it to justify the mechanic. The mandatory lies - apart from the very first and last ones - felt pointless and sometimes extremely dumb. The back routes didn't feel like they made enough of a difference: For example it would have been neat if taking the "magic is real" route in chapter 2 let you skip the irrelevant part where you have to explain Himiko's escape trick, but it didn't. I was sure for a long time that they were setting things up for a late-game moment where Kokichi or the mastermind revealed Shuichi's past lies to drive a wedge between him and the others, but it never happened and the whole idea was left dangling.

Characters were good. I liked or came to like most of them and the few I didn't like were mostly just dull rather than actively annoying. By the start of chapter 4 I liked everyone who was still alive which helped keep the back half of the game from dragging.

The final chapter "DR is fiction" twist was pretty obviously telegraphed, and its execution was rather uneven - the opening movie replay should really have been skippable, doubly so since if you die at the wrong time you have to repeat it - but on balance I liked the ending. One part I wasn't expecting was for them to go the route of "the V3 characters are also considered fictional by this world" mostly because then it doesn't make sense that Tsugumi couldn't cosplay as Kaede, but they made it work and turned it into a resolution that didn't feel like it was cribbing from the previous games.

There were a couple of loose ends for me? I'm not sure if I just missed the answers to them or whether they're answered in supplementary material that I probably won't read:

What was the meaning of the "until only two players remain" rule? Rantaro's video implies that there was a specific, succinct reason for it which would be relevant to the players but I don't remember the final trial explaining it. What would have happened to Shuichi and Himiko if they had won? That scene strongly implied that winning did not mean "get invited back to play again next week", because that was the punishment for the other three players.

Tsugumi seemed to claim that she had created all - or at least many - of the previous "real" games, but how would that work? Was Tsugumi a character in all of them, so the viewers always knew who the mastermind was? Or are the accumulated memories of being the mastermind implanted into one player in each game, so it's that composite identity that created them all?

Up until the very last moments of the game every character you control has the hair antenna associated with being externally controlled. Kaede's antenna even metaphorically transfers from her to Shuichi between chapters 1 and 2 when he takes off his hat. This is apparently just a coincidence and doesn't mean anything.

Hangman's Gambit is still the absolute worst.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

It's been a while since I played, but my impression is that under normal circumstances, the winner graduates and the last "loser" becomes the next survivor. (i think it's also a practical rule to make sure you can't have a trial with two people in it).

The hair thing is sort of a metafictional joke. Protagonists in the series have that hairstyle, which is why Shuichi has a hat until chapter 2. K1B0 has it because they're literally (in fiction) the audience surrogate, making them the "protagonist" in the fictional point of view. (the K1B0 as in-game protagonist could have been played with a bit more, imo, apart from vague stuff about inner voices etc)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 16, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ha ha ha... the "hair antenna" is called an ahoge in Japanese and it became a running joke among Danganronpa fans that the protagonists (Makoto, Hajime, and Komaru) had a huge ahoge. People could have known something was up with Shuichi in his promo art if it had been exposed. You're absolutely right that Kaede is passing her ahoge onto shuichi in that scene.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 16, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

No Wave posted:

Ha ha ha... the "hair antenna" is called an ahoge in Japanese and it became a running joke among Danganronpa fans that the protagonists (Makoto, Hajime, and Komaru) had a huge ahoge. People could have known something was up with Shuichi in his promo art if it had been exposed.

iirc K1B0 having one actually did lead to speculation about a false protagonist, which ended up being true in an unexpected way

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

The final chapter "DR is fiction" twist was pretty obviously telegraphed, and its execution was rather uneven - the opening movie replay should really have been skippable, doubly so since if you die at the wrong time you have to repeat it - but on balance I liked the ending. One part I wasn't expecting was for them to go the route of "the V3 characters are also considered fictional by this world" mostly because then it doesn't make sense that Tsugumi couldn't cosplay as Kaede, but they made it work and turned it into a resolution that didn't feel like it was cribbing from the previous games.

I have heard many criticisms of V3's ending in my time, but "it was too obvious" was never one of them.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

MegaZeroX posted:

I have heard many criticisms of V3's ending in my time, but "it was too obvious" was never one of them.
I guess I'm just very used to metafiction? I had various suspicions at the start of chapter 6 but as soon as you found the second shot put ball the chain of "Kaede didn't kill Rantaro, the mastermind did" -> "Only Kibo and Tsugumi didn't have alibis and it's blatantly not Kibo" -> "The shot of Junko at the end of chapter 5 was Tsugumi cosplaying" -> "But Tsugumi can only cosplay as fictional characters" was pretty much immediate for me. I wouldn't call it "too obvious" but the groundwork of "none of these memories can be trusted" and "even by DR standards some of these character backgrounds are absurd" had been laid for a long time.

Though at that point I was still thinking in terms of "this is a real murder game in a setting where DR1+2 are fiction" rather than the extra step the game ultimately goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My reaction to the ending at first was "noooo, come ooon" because I didn't want it to just be a stupid metafiction narrative. It kind of was but it's done for the sake of putting the protagonists in a difficult position. Compare what Shuichi/Maki/Himiko have to decide to do vs whatever it is that Hajime decides to do at the end of DR2, it's actually meaningful and difficult and just plain better. Regardless of everything that happened before being "fake" (but not really), what they have to do isn't easy and the final psychic taxi is so drat hilarious.

Love the final trial in general too. Tsumugi's such a better villain, she's completely shocked by the outcome. And who can't laugh at the audience line "Kaede died for this???"

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 16, 2021