Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Dangan Ronpa (ダンガンロンパ) is a series of mystery adventure games for the PSP, released by Spike-Chunsoft, written by Kazutaka Kodaka with character design by Rui Komatsuzaki.

At this point in time, there are no known plans to localize and release the games outside of Japan, unfortunately. You can, however, read a slowly growing translation of the first game on Something Awful's very own Let's Play subforum. This thread is, in fact, a spinoff from the LP thread, made so people have a proper venue to discuss newly revealed details about the sequel, and also for anyone who has actually played the first game to completion (or indulged themselves in spoilers despite not understanding moontalk).

Please use common sense and make use of the spoiler tag liberally, as you would do in any other thread on this forum. I'd advise covering any big revelation from either game, whether it was already covered in the LP or not.

Currently under the franchise canon:

Dangan Ronpa: Academy of Hope and High School Students of Despair (ダンガンロンパ:希望の学園と絶望の高校生)
Ace Attorney meets Battle Royale. 15 exceptional kids are trapped in a locked down school building by a mischievous teddy bear, and told only a murderer can escape. Cue murder trial scenes where you find contradictions in suspects' speech by SHOOTING THEM WITH BULLETS and playing a RHYTHM GAME.

Dangan Ronpa/Zero (ダンガンロンパ/ゼロ)
A canon prequel novel set in Hope's Peak Academy before the events of the first game. Features a (mostly) all new cast. Some revelations and open questions may be connected to the second game.

Super Dangan Ronpa 2: Farewell Despair Academy (スーパーダンガンロンパ2:さよなら絶望学園)
The forthcoming sequel game, scheduled for release in July. Set on a remote island, though details are still hazy.
The official site, which includes a trailer, information about the characters and potential spoilers is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Can someone give my non-Japanese speaking arse a broad overview of the DR2 spoilers? Don't say 'So-and-So lived", but if you say "Someone from the previous game survived to this one" that'd be all right by me. That said, it's ultimately orenoren's call.

It takes place on a remote southern island, during a Hope's Peak Academy "school excursion". The basic scenario is the same - the students are trapped on the island and only a murderer can escape. The protagonist lost his memory from before arriving on the island, and doesn't even know what his SHSL ability is. There are indeed survivor/s at the end of the first game, and the trailers imply some of them are also in this one, but nothing is made conclusive. One of them is such a blatant "clue" that most commentary I've read about it on Japanese boards agree it has to be some kind of misdirection.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 22, 2012

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

likecnsnnts posted:

Like AA, but arguably more gameplay, and a little more varied.

I will say, however, that while most of the gameplay takes place during murder trials just like AA, the game puts its narrative focus not on those trials but on the story between them. And that story is a high-concept sci-fi thriller that often steps into the bizarre.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Bumping with a question and a quote from the LP:

Is it something we have to read in Japanese to understand? Or are there stonkin' huge pictures like, say, Aoi talking to the new protagonist, or Junko getting speared with a comical "Not again..."?

I'm not sure - it's mostly confirming something suspected before. The actual confirmation is in the text, but it's text that's probably easy to grasp (when you know what you're looking for) even if you can't read Japanese.

Also, voice actor spoilers: Ami Koshimizu and Kotono Mitsuishi

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

:psyduck: + :circlefap: Did DR1 sell that well in Japan? Or do VAs there work for peanuts and oxygen? 'Cos WOW.

More voice actors. Some may not be accurate, as people are trying to figure out blurry scans, but I think most are pretty spot on. We'll know more tomorrow, or today if a better scan comes up.

Tomokazu Sugita
Jun Fukuyama
Yu Kobayashi
Romi Paku
Suzuko Mimori
Yoshimasa Hosoya
Minako Arakawa
Kana Hanazawa
Hiroki Yasumoto
Kishio Daisuke
Ai Kayano

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

DR1 Spoilers: Of course it's DR1's Togami..

Non-DR1 spoilers: I like how SHSL Light Music Club Member's name is composed of four kanji taken from the K-On! girls' names.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Whoa hey wait what :psyduck: Is that an actual SPOILER spoiler, or are you just messing with me? How could that happen?!

You're in the general thread. If I put a spoiler tag after "DR1 Spoiler", there's going to be a DR1 spoiler inside.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

So Togami DOES survive, haha! It seems my cunning plan has foiled YOUR cunning plan! Seriously though, are Aoi and Naegi joining the DR2 cast? Would a name list of the new dude/ettes be okay?

DR2 newly announced cast, sans any DR1 spoilers:

SHSL Gymnast Akane Owari (Romi Paku)
SHSL Gangster Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu (Daisuke Kishio)
SHSL Photographer Mahiru Koizumi (Yuu Kobayashi)
SHSL Traditional Japanese Dancer Hiyoko Saionji (Suzuko Mimori)
SHSL Mechanic Kazuichi Souda (Yoshimasa Hosoya)
SHSL Princess Sonya Nevermind (Miho Arakawa)
SHSL Animal Trainer Gundam Tanaka (Tomokazu Sugita)
SHSL Nurse Mikan Tsumiki (Ai Kayano)
SHSL Gamer Chiaki Nanami (Kana Hanazawa)
SHSL Sports Team Manager Nekomaru Nidai (Hiroki Yasumoto)
SHSL Cook Teruteru Hanamura (Jun Fukuyama)
SHSL Swordswoman Peko Pekoyama (Kotono Mitsuishi)
SHSL Light Music Club Member Ibuki Mioda (Ami Koshimizu)

orenronen fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 30, 2012

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

Fake Edit: Been typing down all the names, but Oren beat me to it. I'd just like to say that Sonya's family name is Nevermind. Also, shouldn't her name be spelled as Sonia or something, since it's written with ア instead of ャ?

Yeah, you're right. My mind was somewhere else.

I prefer "translating" foreign names the way they're usually written in English and not as a direct transcription of the katakana used.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

One thing I want to say is that the names of the new characters feel different from the ones used in DR1. Most of the DR2 names give me an Ace Attorney jokey naming vibe, while DR1 went (for the most part) for more realistic sounding names.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I think the Dangan Ronpa team are very much interested in telling their single, coherent story and not in playing around with branching and multiple endings.

One thing I read somewhere is that DR2 is going to involve Hope's Peak Academy's history and inner workings. That's something they started to explore in Zero - in fact, there's one major plot thread in Zero that's left completely unresolved by the book's end and I'm almost certain is a setup for DR2.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Heads up: The DR2 official site just updated with the new characters and cover art (which is quite nifty!).

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

I expected them to have those nifty illustrations already, but there are only sprites, huh. I remember hearing that the illustrations are going to be revealed on June 14th, so let's wait till then.

If you missed it, note that you can push the button with the Monobear silhouette on a character screen to see a full-body image.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The best part about the new information is that I actually recognize the obscure gaming trivia SHSL Gamer Nanami's example dialogue is referencing. Does anyone else?

"It was based on an orthodox baseball manga, but they turned it into a side-scrolling action game... That just ain't right."

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Jeek posted:

Google gives me Bats & Terry - is it correct?

And I think Nanami's hairclip is a sprite from some shmup - anyone recognize where it is from?

There are actually two games that fit the bill - one is the one you mentioned, which may very well be the reference intended even if its the more obscure of the two. The other is the Famicom adaptaion of the Touch manga, a much better known kusoge.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

(DR1/2/Zero)

I'd bet it really is DR1's Togami, and also that there are cameos (or even larger roles) for the other DR1 survivors. What sets my They're Toying With Us sensor is Komaeda, where the trailers are a basically going "here's a character who wears a hoodie and is a SHSL Good Luck and has Naegi's VA and his name is an anagram of Makoto Naegi!!!" I smell a subversion.

I'm curious about the new protagonist, though. I've read pretty convincing speculation based on kanji manipulation on his name that he's Zero's mysterious Kamukuraizuru. That would make for a really cool endgame if Kamukura's abilities are as described in the book.

Also, the island's name has to have a deeper meaning. Is this a mirror universe?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

They couldn't resist making a Goemon reference after all.

I must admit my knowledge about Goemon is limited -- what's the reference?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

In case I wasn't being clear, I meant Ishikawa Goemon from the Lupin III series, who often cuts inanimate objects with his trusty Zantetsuken and says また、つまらぬ物を斬ってしまった, "Once again I have cut a worthless object". You have most probably heard it cited more than once somewhere else.

To my shame, I've never watched much Lupin III beyond Castle of Cagliostro. And that was a long time ago.

The amount of references in DR I'm completely missing is likely significant. Sigh.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I bought last week's issue of Weekly Famitsu (the digital edition drops to 250 yen once a newer issue is released, so I usually just wait a week before I buy), and DR2 got 4 pages, including stuff not in the online articles. There's a nice large artwork of the entire cast in a classroom, and more new gameplay elements:

There's XP and leveling-up involved, useful in some way during the trial and attainable by communicating with the cast and also by doing other activities. The Student ID card has a tamagotchi-style digital pet you can raise, but again - they don't say to what end.

Stores in Japan now have dummy game packages on the shelves, and the backside apparently also mentions new trial mechanics: in addition to finding contradictions, there's now also "agreeing" and "countering", whatever that means.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

A wealth of new information today on the special Famitsu page on the new game, including much more details on the improved school trial system.

Also, the game's opening movie is on there. Also available on Youtube in 720p. It's neat.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

More stuff today:

- The official page has a virtual Monomono Machine, where you can win DR2 Twitter icons, Twitter backgrounds and Facebook timeline banners (and soon, PC wallpapers and "rare items").

- Much like when the first game was published, a podcast series for the game starts on the 17th, again hosted by Megumi Ogata.

- The free Weekly Famitsu sampler this week reprints the DR2 pages from this week's issue. It's mostly the same information that was published on the web yesterday, but with nicer layout and a few more screenshots. If you're not familiar with it, it's a free smartphone/tablet app that gives you select pages from the new issue of Famitsu every week. On iOS, you can get it for free with a Japanese iTunes account. I'm not sure about Android.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

New promotion movie, showing much more of the new trial system. The scenes themselves are probably doctored to avoid revealing the victim, as they were for the first game's promotional videos.

Also, tomorrow's issue of Famitsu apparently reveals a post-game extra written by Ryohgo Narita (of Durarara! fame). I'm not clear on what it is exactly -- it might just be a straight static novella -- but it's supposed to be pretty long.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

orenronen posted:

Also, tomorrow's issue of Famitsu apparently reveals a post-game extra written by Ryohgo Narita (of Durarara! fame). I'm not clear on what it is exactly -- it might just be a straight static novella -- but it's supposed to be pretty long.

Now I know a little bit more about what this is. It's a visual novel called "Dangan Ronpa IF" that becomes available after you finish the game. It's supposed to be especially interesting for people who finished the first game and read Zero.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

I could be wrong, but I do believe Dangan Ronpa 1 is on iOS and Android now.

Not yet, but soon. It's been on the Japanese PSN store for a while now, though. DR2 is being released on PSN the same day as the UMD version.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Jeek posted:

As for DR Zero, it is about the mastermind of DR1 doing lots of stuff and killing a bunch of people before the Despair Event. Some of the DR1 students and one DR2 student made a cameo. I am sure Oren can tell more about it though.

That's a really bad description of Zero, actually.

The novel explains in more detail some of the handwaved parts of DR's conclusion and gives a lot of exposition that seems connected to DR2 and to the DR universe at large.

Of the four POV characters, one is one of the DR1 cast, and two more are, um, kind-of-but-not-really. One more DR1 character has a cameo appearance, and another has a fairly large role but doesn't get POV chapters. Another is mentioned in passing, as is a DR2 character.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

BFC posted:

Beside the obvious, who're the other cameo appearances of the DR1 cast? The Headmaster, Sakura, Sho?

Also, does it show what happens to the survivors of DR1 and their struggles to survive past the vault?

Real, honest DR1/Zero super-spoilers below. Don't read if you plan to enjoy the story properly later (either in Japanese or through my planned translation)

Kirigiri is a POV character, as is her father (who appears on-screen in DR1, so I count him as a kinda-character). Naegi appears in one chapter (and is almost killed). Chihiro is mentioned in passing (but not by name). Mukuro Ikusaba appears quite a bit, but is not a POV character.

The other kinda-but-not-really character is the biggest spoiler in the book, so I'll skip it for now.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

BFC posted:

Still in Major Story Ruining Spoilers Mode over here.

Refresh me, is Mukuro Ikusaba the MC for DR2? If so, that opens the floor for speculation that DR2 happens a really long time after the events of DR1

No, Mukuro Ikusaba is a DR1 character. The name should come up fairly soon (which means weeks, but whatever) in the LP.

Series of tweets from DRIF writer Narita, hastily translated by me. I have to say, this is pretty cool. I love "what if" stories.

---

As announced in game magazines today, I was asked to write a parallel story to the original "Dangan Ronpa" to be included as an extra in "Dangan Ronpa 2", planned for release on July 26. I hope you can guess its contents from the title!

---

I'm sure there are some angry people who think "why that lovely Narita is getting involved?", but it's not as if the price of the game is now higher, and it will have nothing to do with the main game. It is an "extra" in its truest meaning, and I hope it will make some people a little bit happy.

---

The contents is a "what if" story for the first game. Kodaka-san properly supervised it, so it's not a self-complacent delusional story. Probably. I hope you remember this is just one "what if" scenario out of endless possibilities.

---

For example, one can think of the obvious "what if" scenario where Hifumi Yamada rules the world, or ones that are even more tragic than the original story. I'm honestly thankful I was asked to weave one such piece as an extra feature for the game!

---

Of course, it's up to you to approve or reject my idea for a "what if" story. I hope each and every one of you can spin their own "what if". Dangan Ronpa is a wonderful work that can support such endless possibilities!

---

Finally, I expect the main story in Super Dangan Ronpa 2 to far surpass what I have written. I full of excitement for the release day!

---

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Some more news I meant to post earlier but forgot:

- The official podcast, "Super Dangan Radio" hosted by Megumi Ogata, posted episode 0 a couple of days ago. It's the usual mix of fan mail and chatting with guests. This episode has two of DR2's producers, and it's an interesting chat. They talk about the casting and the surprising popularity of the first game, among other things. Next week starts the voice actor guest roundup with Minami Takayama. If you plan to listen, be warned that Ogata is one of the fastest speakers I've ever had to listen to.

- Weekly Famitsu has more about the extra modes. DRIF looks like plain text overlaid on DR1 static screenshots. That mining bit in the latest trailer is from a second post-game extra, a simulation game where you spend 30 days on the island and get missions from Monomi.

I'm actually thinking of sending fanmail to the podcast for the first time in my life. Surely mail from a gaijin fan is enough of a gimmick to get it to be read on the air, right?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

Dangan Ronpa 2 came out today, right?

Thursday. My Japanese PSN account is charged and ready to download it the moment it appears.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

strawberrymacaron posted:

Looking at the famitsu article...

ETA re: DRIF (wasn't an actual spoiler)
The SDR2 website's blurb on DRIF makes it seem like the story revolves around a girl named "Shiori?"

Shiori means "bookmark". All the site is saying is that DRIF has a bookmark feature and you can resume reading from where you left off.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ara posted:

Thanks for posting this thread, I didn't know about the first game but picked up the demo after seeing this thread, and immediately ended up buying the full game. Nice to know there'll be a sequel ready when I finish. I also see that there is another game by the same team on the PSN store called "Conception: Bear My Child!", very classy.

I made a long rant about Conception elsewhere on SA before.

Conception shares a producer with Dangan Ronpa, but it's not the same team. Dangan Ronpa is a good game. Conception is not.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Upupupu.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Well.

I'm up to the first murder, which I just started the investigation phase of. There's no blatant clue like the dying message in DR1's first case, but I do have one strong suspect (though the game might be leading me on).

The prologue chapter was about twice as long as the one in the first game and made me shout WTF out loud once.

Monomi's theme music is the best thing ever.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ara posted:

I can't believe how much better the full game of DR1 is than the demo version was. All of the problems I had with the demo (stripped-down, bare-bones plotting and characterization, everyone just kind of standing around randomly and only the main character hearing Monokuma's speech) are completely fixed. If anybody tries the demo and is borderline on it, I'll definitely recommend the full version over it.

Oh, trust me - one thing DR doesn't lack is plotting and characterization. Most characters are much more than they first appear, and anime cliches are almost always self aware and there for a purpose.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Will you be spoiling the game here? On one hand, I want to wait for the LP. On the other, I'd probably bust a few internal organs with anticipation (especially if we're sticking to the 6-month rule). Can you post a list of survivors (if any) at the end of the game at least?

As long as I'm the only one here playing the game, I don't really want to become someone who just gives up spoilers, so I'm going to avoid them. If you wanna get spoiled, work for it.

I am going to make brief statements about how I feel about the game, though. I'm now done with chapter 1. The trial is nothing like the one in the first game. In fact, I think it's nothing like any of the trials in the first game, story-wise. I have no idea where this game is going, and I love it.

I find myself constantly thinking about how I'm going to translate this and put it into an LP, though, which is kind of annoying. I'll definitely need an English native speaking editor this time, as the number of seemingly untranslatable puns seem to have increased tenfold and there are characters like Sonia who speaks weeaboo-Japanese, which there is now way I can put into comparable English by myself.

The first trial also has one element that's just going to be too easy in an LP where people have endless time to go back and look at screenshots instead of playing in realtime. Oh well. DR1 is nowhere near done so it's still far in the future.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Senerio posted:

If you need another Grammar Nazi editor, you can ask me too. Got nothin' better to do most days.

I'll be looking less for a grammar nazi, and more for someone who is a good writer (especially for dialogue) and who can brainstorm with me on puns and other difficult material.

Kodaka's prose is so much better than most other VNs on the market, and he has an excellent ear for dialogue. I'm playing another VN right now - Time Travellers by Jiro Ishii. Ishii is mich more famous in the Japanese gaming world than Kodaka is (though I suspect that is going to change), and even though TT is a financial failure, the story is intriguing and the pacing is great. I like it a lot. The prose itself is bland, though. It's servicable, but nothing more. When reading DR, on the other hand, I feel like I'm reading someone who knows how to use his language by itself to great effect, regardless of what's going on in the story.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Just a small thing, but it amused me since the question came up way too many times in the LP: in DR2, someone asks Monobear directly if the three person body discovery rule includes the culprit or not. Monobear says that fundamentally it does, but that he can be flexible according to circumstances.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

Without spoiling anything, how's the (I -assume- new) music in DR2, oren?

Some DR1 tracks are reused, but it's mostly new. It's fantastic.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

I dunno, it's been almost a week already, which is actually not that fast in my opinion. I've seen people finishing games with 60 hours of gameplay in about two days - and drawing fanart right after that.

Yeah. DR2 is longer than DR, but when all is said and done it's just a linear game you can rush through without much trouble. I'm reading at least twice (probably closer to three times) as slow as a native speaker, and I'm already around the halfpoint mark. That's while spending most of my waking hours at my full-time job and not letting the game completely monopolize my free time. Native speakers with lots of free time can get through it in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I feel like I'm stepping in a minefield with all these black boxes, but wanted to ask if there were any uploads to the new music or any way to hear it? Been listening to some of the songs I like in DR1 and curious to hear some of the newer tracks.

The soundtrack CD will be released in a month, on August 31. There's also a mini-soundtrack disc included in the limited edition box set that probably has some of the tracks, but I haven't seen it posted online yet (not that I looked much - knowing the internet, it's probably out there somewhere).