Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Can someone give my non-Japanese speaking arse a broad overview of the DR2 spoilers? Don't say 'So-and-So lived", but if you say "Someone from the previous game survived to this one" that'd be all right by me. That said, it's ultimately orenoren's call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeek posted:

Your spoiler makes things more interesting, orenronen.

If there is another group of Hope's Peak Academy student hanging in an island (on an excursion no less), that means the current majority speculation of an apocalypse outside the school would not hold. That or the sequel happened before the first game, since I don't think this kind of thing will go away on its own.

Spoiling to be safe: Or maybe the Academy wasn't the only shelter; if the authorities really were focused on saving Super High Schoolers, then they'd try place said High Schoolers into situations or places they'd feel comfortable with. Perhaps Naegi's lot were all close friends who met in school (which makes DR 1's events all the more tragic), hence they were placed there, while DR2's lot were strangers, so it was thought that the relaxed atmosphere of a resort might bring them closer together.

This also rasises the possibility that 'Monobear' is an AI himself, like Chihirobo. Depending on the tech level of the DR world, perhaps AIs aren't really all that hard to create if one is a Super High School Programmer, or has the resources of a major government.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeek posted:

Between the Leon/Mondo/Chihiro photo and Yamada's last words, I think it is all but certain that the DR1 cast are all friends before some memory and/or time lapse. (I think Yamada knew Cele's real name and used to call her by that before the time skip, by the way. Why would he not say "Celes" otherwise?)

It would be interesting if the DR1 cast member get referred to in DR2.

New crackpot theory:

Assuming that Monobear is not an AI but a controlled entity, as in controlled by someone (be it the 16th student, the ex-headmaster, government super-soldier scientists or the Nitro Lord of the Nipponese Wasteland), perhaps DR2's antagonist(s) is/are the survivors of DR1, driven crazy by the revelation that they killed their friends, and now want to spread the misery :tinfoil:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Oh, this looked fun but I figured it was a traditional VN where you don't do anything but press O to see the next line of dialogue, so I lost interest. If there's actual gameplay I might have to check it out.

Read the LP; there's a lot more gameplay than you might think.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

orenronen posted:

I will say, however, that while most of the gameplay takes place during murder trials just like AA, the game puts its narrative focus not on those trials but on the story between them. And that story is a high-concept sci-fi thriller that often steps into the bizarre.

AHA! So Monobear really IS the Nitro Lord of the Nipponese Wastes! Man, I am posting so many spoilers! :smug:

Seriously though, apart from Hagakure (who might be a clueless doof of a conman), there really hasn't been anything outright magical happening- everything that's happened could be explained via technological means.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
They were Super High School-Level [Insert talent here], and that's all that matters :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ConanThe3rd posted:

To be fair, I can only dread to think what happened when Atlus et all suggested to their investors that they translate a game where Someone who commits manslaughter is litterly creamed into butter by way of g-forces in a cage'o'death

Then don't say it! Say something like "Hey, those kids seems to be into those Phoenix Wright lawyer games! This one's just about like it!"

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bumping with a question and a quote from the LP:

orenronen posted:

:siren: Warning :siren: Leak scans from tomorrow's issue of Famitsu shows an article revealing tons of new information about the sequel. I can tell even from the very blurry scans I've seen that there are now real spoilers for the first game's ending in there, so take notice. The official site will also probably be updated with the new information this weekend, so avoid it if you want to stay clean.

I remind that all discussion about the second game should be done in the Games thread and not here.

Is it something we have to read in Japanese to understand? Or are there stonkin' huge pictures like, say, Aoi talking to the new protagonist, or Junko getting speared with a comical "Not again..."?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

orenronen posted:

Also, voice actor spoilers: Ami Koshimizu and Kotono Mitsuishi

:psyduck: + :circlefap: Did DR1 sell that well in Japan? Or do VAs there work for peanuts and oxygen? 'Cos WOW.

EDIT: Eh, might as well start speculating: Naegi is the new Monobear, Kirigiri is Pinkbunny, and they're doing this to seperate the weak from the strong, so that the repopulation of Wasteland Earth can be done at maximum efficiency.

I don't know how the Nitro Lord fits in, but s/he will, somehow.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 30, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

orenronen posted:

More voice actors.

I think I am going to need a cold shower, a long liedown, and a lot of yoga exercises, as it seems imagining the Golden Girls naked in the snow isn't helping by itself.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SingerOfW posted:

Actually, quite a lot of the characters look like reincarnations of one or more DR1 characters. Aoi+Sakura, Togami 2.0 and Kirigiri+Maizono were already known, but now we also have Mondo+Sakura, Ishida, Junko+Maizono, Fukawa+Togami+Kirigiri, new versions of Leon, Chihiro, Celes... Or maybe their faces are just too similar, and we know too little of them to recognize them as proper, original characters. At least the Cook, the Photographer, the Sugita (not sure about his SHSL trait) and the Nurse look quite fresh.

Maybe they're all clones! Or children of the previous cast, assuming any survived, and are being placed into some fight to the death or something!

On a more serious note, what are the kanji/hiragana/strange foreign letters used to spell out the new heir's name? Sure, it looks the same in regular Roman lettering, but maybe it looks different in Japanese?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

orenronen posted:

DR1 Spoilers: Of course it's DR1's Togami..

Whoa hey wait what :psyduck: Is that an actual SPOILER spoiler, or are you just messing with me? How could that happen?!

That said- new theory! Assuming you're serious, orenoren, maybe DR1 is a 'preliminary stage' of some, well, Battle Royale-like contest, and DR2's the next stage. I can't read the Japanese, but I'll assume that Aoi (who beefed up after her DR1 adventure, maybe in honour of a murdered Sakura), Togami and Naegi (no way that flaky-looking dude next to DR2's main character isn't a slightly older Naegi) are the only survivors of DR1, then? Either Kirigiri or Hagakure was the mole, and one died fighting the other, I'd also assume.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

orenronen posted:

You're in the general thread. If I put a spoiler tag after "DR1 Spoiler", there's going to be a DR1 spoiler inside.

So Togami DOES survive, haha! It seems my cunning plan has foiled YOUR cunning plan! Seriously though, are Aoi and Naegi joining the DR2 cast? Would a name list of the new dude/ettes be okay?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So it seems that Togami, and maybe Naegi, survived DR1- everyone else died, I assume, that's sad. I hope the journo survives; as a Journalism major, I need to stick up for my sisters and brothers :colbert: ! As for first victim, I'm saying either the princess or music club member, as they seem the most vulnerable. If there's a mastermind here, my bet's on Togami, and Pinkorabbit's Naegi.

EDIT: Fixed my tags, hopefully nobody saw my gaffe.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 30, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Or maybe it's just misdirection- after all, if we went by the demo, Hagakure would have been our first murderer, and Maizono the love interest.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeek posted:

Hagakure is the first victim in the demo. ;)

Whoopsie :downs: All right, I'll give you the DR1 spoilers, but DR2's? Maybe they know what we'd be looking outn for, hence the additional misdirection this time.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeek posted:

(DR1 Visual Art Book spoiler) Remember Oren saying that the visual art book has included details for every student's execution? There is an unused one that hit right on the chief motivation of the said student, which is only revealed during Free Time Activities with him/her. I wonder if DR2 will do something like that for an in-game execution.

I'm hoping DR2 allows us to get to know the students better; from what I've seen of DR1, you never really get to know your friends unless you savescum like hell.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeek posted:

I am afraid we will still learn about the students mostly via Free Time Activities / savescum. This is what gives DR1 replayable value after all.

Do you think there will be a branching storyline in DR2, by the way?

I know absolutely jack and poo poo about the DS, but I hope there's enough room/memory/bitcoins that will allow us some way to 'pick' murderers and their victims; maybe the characters we spend Free Time and/or build relationships with will be guaranteed survivors? Or are you thinking about choosing to side between Monobear and Pinkobear (what's her name again)?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 31, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

orenronen posted:

I think the Dangan Ronpa team are very much interested in telling their single, coherent story and not in playing around with branching and multiple endings.

Aw :(

orenronen posted:

One thing I read somewhere is that DR2 is going to involve Hope's Peak Academy's history and inner workings. That's something they started to explore in Zero - in fact, there's one major plot thread in Zero that's left completely unresolved by the book's end and I'm almost certain is a setup for DR2.

So it's more than just an academy for gifted kids, then? Government super-soldier creation facility confirmed. Pack it in boys, no need to buy DR2, I blew this case wide open :smug:

But seriously, the thought of Hope's Peak being more than a school for the gifted is quite intruiging, and can lend credence to a theory of mine- one I would like confirmation on, if it's not too much trouble, as it's the plot of the Great CommisarMegan Novel™ I've been working on in my spare time:

See, I'm thinking that humanity has been wiped out, and that the 'students' are among a massive group of SHSL survivors, kept in stasis because they're quite frankly, prime breeding material and highly talented as well, perfect for repopulating the Earth. However, the master computer's programming is failing, and is putting these kids through a series of trials, literal and otherwise, to ensure that only the fittest of both mind and body survive.

Does this match with anything from DR1, or what you've read about 2? It would be able to explain why Monobear might appear in 2 despite being defeated in 1 (come on, like we don't see THAT coming). Heck, 'Hope's Peak' itself sounds just like the kind of name one would give a program to rebuild humanity after the Earth has been reduced to a wasteland ruled by the Nitro Lords.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeek posted:

(DR1 Spoiler)By the way, you said DR2 Togami is the same one in DR1. Is there proof on that other than the two having the same name, however? As the heir to the Illuminati, he probably have a bunch of body doubles, and I suspect he would be ultra-careful to not get caught by Monobear again after DR1's events.

But maybe he wasn't caught. Maybe he [i]wanted to be here... :tinfoil:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And now he's got an extra layer of fat (or two) to cushion him against stabbings, blunt weapons and maybe even absorb poison! He's inveenceebul! :v:

It'd be great to have him be a recurring character throughout the series.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeek posted:

A problem with this theory is that he already have a series of Free Time Activities in DR1 - if DR2 Togami is indeed him, what would be left for us to discover about him?

His new motives, perhaps? Whatever happened between DR1 and 2? Assuming Flaky Dude isn't Naegi, and assuming Naegi survives DR1 at the very least, what happened to him? If there are any more survivors, what happened to them? Maybe Togami could be the 'hint' dude like Kirigiri is here, and your Free Time events could focus around 'how do you know so much'?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
...Can i buy a vowel? Honestly, I haven't the foggiest :shobon:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Senerio posted:

Final, unrelated note: I went to test an online dice roller, and I decided to roll D&D stats for Naegi to test it.

For people who don't play D&D, you drop the low number, and then the stat is that. 10-11 is a normal human. Naegi's stats are 11-11-11-11-10-15. Pretty average except for one thing which he is super at.

You forgot to add in racial abilities. We ARE playing 4th Edition, right?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That would assume DR1 Togami managed to survive his first go around with someone willing to bonk him and have his kid- Syo, maybe? I'm sure Syo would be cruel enough to try test her son out in a trial like this, make him sink or swim.

That said, I don't think that Togami would ever allow something like that to pass. And besides, why would they decant these new kids (assuming they were in stasis) so many years later?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Volt Catfish posted:

This sounds very interesting if true. I wonder if the idea a couple people put forth about possibly changing the story/murders around could be true from what we know of these new mechanics.

I'm seriously hoping for this; with so many characters, and hopefully a lot of funding from a popular Dangan Ronpa (how well did it sell?), multiple endings could be affordable.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeek posted:

The movie is impressive.

Slashing up other's opinions seem awesome.

Also, mining minigame at 3:26? Could be part of the Tamagochi game.

Now we can now confirm that the helicopter shooting and the robot samurai punishments are genuine. Spike gets cleverer this time around though and showed no victim - they could be for Gangster/Mechanics and Swordwoman/Japanese Dancer, respectively.

There is a blink-and-you'll-miss scene on 3:45 with some letters as well; it could be anything from a red herring to an important plot element, but I am leaning on the latter side.

Can we be sure that they're 100%, honest-to-Monobear genuine though? I can definitely see the devs weaving up an elaborate fake video complete with VA just to troll the hell out of us :tinfoil:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

orenronen posted:

Now I know a little bit more about what this is. It's a visual novel called "Dangan Ronpa IF" that becomes available after you finish the game. It's supposed to be especially interesting for people who finished the first game and read Zero.

The title seems interesting- an alternative route or routes, perhaps? Maybe with a different protagonist? How does Zero connect with the main game, broadly speaking?

Dinky Duck Race posted:

Welcome to a new hell.

Now that's a MonoBEAR! :haw:

I'm sorry.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The thought of a Yamada-influenced world is both terrifying and strangely attractive :stare:

So this alternative scenario does sound pretty cool- how will it be played/read though? It seems like a subgame or something.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As someone who couldn't read Japanese, what's so good about Peko? All I'm seeing is some fanservice. Between her and the nurse DR2 seems a bit heavier on that side than the first game, and while I'm sure any ADTRW goon has seen and bore worse, I'm not sure that an LP of this game might go down too well outside said forum.

That said, seeing Togami turn into King Henry VIII is hilarious, and I hope he survives this one too, as Monobear's eternal foe. It also seems that the gamer might be DR2's Kirigiri, insofar as I can see.

Still hoping the gymnast and Gundam survive, they look awesome :ohdear:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Will you be spoiling the game here? On one hand, I want to wait for the LP. On the other, I'd probably bust a few internal organs with anticipation (especially if we're sticking to the 6-month rule). Can you post a list of survivors (if any) at the end of the game at least?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

orenronen posted:

As long as I'm the only one here playing the game, I don't really want to become someone who just gives up spoilers, so I'm going to avoid them. If you wanna get spoiled, work for it.

I am going to make brief statements about how I feel about the game, though. I'm now done with chapter 1. The trial is nothing like the one in the first game. In fact, I think it's nothing like any of the trials in the first game, story-wise. I have no idea where this game is going, and I love it.

I find myself constantly thinking about how I'm going to translate this and put it into an LP, though, which is kind of annoying. I'll definitely need an English native speaking editor this time, as the number of seemingly untranslatable puns seem to have increased tenfold and there are characters like Sonia who speaks weeaboo-Japanese, which there is now way I can put into comparable English by myself.

Well then, if being a native-English speaking editor is how I'll get my spoiler fix, then so be it. Not like I'm not already doing some freelance VN editing work :)

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 27, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Say, how far along in the game are you, if you don't mind me asking? Since we're already close to the end of DR2 and all :)

EDIT: And would it be TOO spoilery to ask how ____Togami____ got so drat fat?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 3, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
He ate the 16th Student! And the first chapter is proving this! After which Togami gets executed by being buried under thrones and crowns and gold bars and poo poo! Wrap the case up boys, I've got this in the bag! :smug:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Can you tell us once you've finished DR2, orenoren? I'd like to ask a few questions, if I may, but I don't want to clog this thread up with my SUPER SPOILER QUESTIONS.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeek posted:

Is the DR2 protagonist as hilariously bland as Naegi?

He seems a lot more animated to me, though that may simply be because he reminds me of a younger version of the dude from Falling Down.

Also,

orenronen posted:

The second half of the game is a huge roller-coaster ride, with one WTF-did-they-really-just-do-that event chasing another. The last chapter in particular. Also, god - this is going to be really tough to LP.

Bolding mine- why would it be hard? In terms of mechanics, or in terms of likeable characters getting the MonoBoot? :ohdear:

orenronen posted:

There's certainly much more fan-service, though to their credit it mostly fits the tone and the story. The one character who wears nothing but skimpy clothes has good backstory reasons if you follow her free-time scenes, which are some of the more sombrely serious to be found in the game.

At the risk of sounding creepy, I must admit I'm looking forward to this- most 'justifications' I've seen for fanservice are facepalmingly-stupid, but this talk of a good reason for it has got me curious, as I'm not sure it can be done.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 7, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SingerOfW posted:

On the other hand, I can't imagine any explanation for Akane other than that she's the same musclehead as Aoi and doesn't really care about being modest.

Honestly, I think she's less 'hot babe' and more 'great bro'; I rewatched the trailer, and she seems to be picking up the slack where our hero fails, what with her 'OBJECTION!' and whatnot. I see her as a more hot-blooded Kirigiri-sort, who points you to clues, and considering her lack of modesty, might even provide a good explanation for any body-investigating shenanigans that might come up.

And of course, because DR likes to subvert our expectations, I fully expect her to be the second victim or something :(

EDIT: Also, I don't consider her looks to be fanservice; I can't exactly describe it, but the way she looks just doesn't say 'fanboy bait' to me, the same way the Nurse and Swordswoman do; it's no different to some muscular dude walking around with his shirt off- it might warrant a raised eyebrow or two, but otherwise, eh.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 7, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hopefullyy this isn't too spoilery, but does DR2 leave room open for a third game? I have visions of a progressively different Togami chasing Monobear across DR games, culminating in a showdown where she faces down the evil ursid on top of a space station in a mountain, Highlander-style :hawaaaafap:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh yeah, now that you've finished the game, is it ever explained how Togami got fat? Did he know the SHSL Chef or something- maybe as a family retainer? They could certainly afford it. Or is that somehow too spoilery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well, there's the end of my questions. drat, waiting for DR2's LP is going to kill ME.