Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Malachite_Dragon posted:

But 'penis' is a bad, bad, dirty word :qq:

They're cat rescue people. That's just how they roll.

I was okay for the ... instead of penis up until they used the word "tee tee" and then I was like, "ok, cat rescue people, really?" :catstare:

Also, penis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

notsoape posted:

Jeez. So, are they considered a meat breed or fleece or just ~fancy~?

They're a meat breed that grows super fast and are the largest and most common sheep breed in the US. They are often used in the production of "club lambs" which are show lambs used in 4H/FFA/etc shows. According to my American Sheep Industry Handbook they "produce superior, high-cutability carcassess", have a fairly short lifespan and are used as terminal sires to produce market lambs when crossed with fine wool ewes.

Edit:
Suffolks and Suffolk crosses also can carry the gene for something called "Spider Lamb Syndrome" which is almost as horrible as it sounds.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 24, 2012

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Aravenna posted:

One of the local rescue people just posted this on Facebook:

:stare:

This is way funnier than it has any right to be. Especially with those names.

Corwin has taken to hugging the toilet recently. I don't *think* he's hung over. I think he likes the cool porcelain, but still, it's weird to come into the bathroom to see him sleeping there like this:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

WolfensteinBag posted:

:neckbeard: Awesome puppy. :3: Looks more mal than husky in the face, either that or some kinda big LSG mixed in. :3: Either way I'm guessing he'll be large.

From what I can gather, having not seen the parents myself, the sire looks like this but skinnier and with ice blue eyes:

And the dam looks something like this, but with brown eyes and much smaller, only in the 35-40lb range:

So. Who the heck knows. He's probably mostly husky?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

TVs Ian posted:

Yeah, probably. :3: Good luck! Haha

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Wonder Bra posted:

Corwin has taken to hugging the toilet recently. I don't *think* he's hung over. I think he likes the cool porcelain, but still, it's weird to come into the bathroom to see him sleeping there like this:

Been there, dogg.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Maybe Corwin thinks it's hot in your house? Bathroom fixtures tend to be nice and cool.

Haha I just saw that you said that, never mind.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

prom candy posted:

Been there, dogg.

Right? Pinot grigio is delicious but insidious.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Corwin is so cute. :3: I caught feldman LICKING the toilet yesterday. I clean it frequently, and it's usually clean. But still. :gonk:

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

TVs Ian posted:

From what I can gather, having not seen the parents myself, the sire looks like this but skinnier and with ice blue eyes:

And the dam looks something like this, but with brown eyes and much smaller, only in the 35-40lb range:

Are you a horse person or is that dog terminology too? I genuinely don't know

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

If they don't use Bitch and Dog, I usually see breeders say Sire and Dam. Some of my favorites even use Mother and Father (and even Grandparents). v :) v

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

paisleyfox posted:

If they don't use Bitch and Dog, I usually see breeders say Sire and Dam. Some of my favorites even use Mother and Father (and even Grandparents). v :) v

Why does everything need fancy words? It's like boats with starboard and port. Just say left and right! Just say 'Mother and Father' :psyduck: Why complicate things?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Why does everything need fancy words? It's like boats with starboard and port. Just say left and right! Just say 'Mother and Father' :psyduck: Why complicate things?

Honestly saying "mother and father" sounds furbaby-ish to me.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Invalid Octopus posted:

Honestly saying "mother and father" sounds furbaby-ish to me.

It's ridiculous, but when we went to Brookehaven Corgis recently, I about died with cute when Corwin met his "grandpa." Like he even cares! He didn't even care about his own dad (and Stuart just wanted to play with Corwin)... what a rude boy!

(Me, looking like an idiot b/c my cute has been overloaded. Grandpa on L in arms, then dad, then Corwin.)

And here's Corwin's sister, who has a serious face all the time:

Justin with Corwin's grandopa:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Lookit all them derps in one lap. :3:

Also dogs make you a crazy dog-lady, no matter your age or gender.

Like I had Feldman on my lap tonight, and I realized I was singing songs with his name in it. Like "Schools out for Summer" by Alice Cooper became "Schools out for Feldman."

And I gave no poo poo that if anyone saw this, they'd think I'm nuts.

Dogs make people crazy! It's just how it works!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

notsoape posted:

:3: What equipment do you use in terms of harnesses/bike attachments etc?

She just goes on a thick, padded harness and is off lead. She's still scared of being really close to the bike, but she keeps near naturally and the harness means I can pick her up if need be! On the way to and from the canal she sits in my bag like a good dog.

Levitate posted:

How come your dog always looks stoned

Duh, she always is stoned.

How come you aren't posting pictures of your dog huh :colbert:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Fraction posted:

Duh, she always is stoned.

well she's on vacation so I can't get new photos. maybe I have some good old ones somewhere

I had a dream I was at the dog park last night and some ladies dog (looked like a Weim) decided it didn't like me and latched onto my arm, so I had to drag it over to her and ask her to remove her dog from my arm. I was remarkably calm about it, whereas in real life I'm pretty sure I would be pissed as gently caress

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?

Bash Ironfist posted:

Like I had Feldman on my lap tonight, and I realized I was singing songs with his name in it. Like "Schools out for Summer" by Alice Cooper became "Schools out for Feldman."

I do this all the time with Ginny. If I have the radio on while I'm playing with her, her name gets dropped into just about every song.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I'll start this off by saying that I'm NOT getting a puppy.

But egad, I want one.

I've always admired this Border Collie:

He's absolutely gorgeous, and he's got a rock solid temperament and runs 3.8 in flyball.

He was bred to a mini Aussie - another very accomplished flyball/agility dog. And I've been offered (harassed! coerced!) one of the pups.

They're two weeks old, and look something like this:

It's just about exactly what I've been wanting in my next pup, but at the wrong time. I'm getting married soon, my fiance isn't interested in adding another dog, and I'm too busy to concentrate on raising a pup correctly. But oh my god, I want one so badly.

HNNGPUPPIES!!!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

AcetylCoA! posted:

Speaking of cute puppies, how's yours doing?

Barky. Doofy. :3: She dives off the couch onto Amy, Balen and Kaydee regularly to play. She leaps straight up, tucks her little front paws under herself then somehow ends up halfway across the room.

If I can, I'll get some pictures of her and everybody else today. If not, there'll be plenty of pictures for Balen's birthday tomorrow.

A life less: That little one with the tiny white collar is way, way too sweet.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Fraction posted:

ok

Looking a little derpy

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Sooooooo there is someone interested in adopting Nori, a friend of a friend to my sister in law. And the girls Facebook profile picture is of herself......in a full sparkle dog fur suit.

Question is, what is a polite way to be HaHAAAno?

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

a life less posted:

I'll start this off by saying that I'm NOT getting a puppy.

But egad, I want one.

He's absolutely gorgeous, and he's got a rock solid temperament and runs 3.8 in flyball.

He was bred to a mini Aussie - another very accomplished flyball/agility dog. And I've been offered (harassed! coerced!) one of the pups.

They're two weeks old, and look something like this:

It's just about exactly what I've been wanting in my next pup, but at the wrong time. I'm getting married soon, my fiance isn't interested in adding another dog, and I'm too busy to concentrate on raising a pup correctly. But oh my god, I want one so badly.

HNNGPUPPIES!!!

Whenever I get the puppy rabies I remind myself that any dogs I get now will (hopefully!) still be with me when I'm 40. 40.

Then I pour myself a triple Jameson and QQ about how old I'm getting :negative:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

Sooooooo there is someone interested in adopting Nori, a friend of a friend to my sister in law. And the girls Facebook profile picture is of herself......in a full sparkle dog fur suit.

"I'm sorry, but I think you'd rape this puppy so no".

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

TVs Ian posted:

"Not just no, but HELL no."

Politeness does not apply here. (Though I will admit it takes some not inconsiderable balls to post that kind of picture as your Facebook profile pic.)

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

(Though I will admit it takes some not inconsiderable balls to post that kind of picture as your Facebook profile pic.)

Or a complete lack of social awareness. I'm going with that.

I was being dumb last night and one of my rats escaped because I left one of the doors to the cage unhinged. But when I woke up this morning I found her in the (empty) bird cage on the dresser. She had gotten out, eaten all of the yogies I put beside the cage, then crawled to the bird cage to sleep it off. :psyduck:

Needless to say, I'm double-checking all the cage doors before I leave my room now.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

a life less posted:

Goddamn that is a gorgeous border, please send me a merle puppy, thx. :qq:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

TVs Ian posted:

"You need to sign a contract that promises you won't rape the dog, tia."

EDIT: Refer to yourself as part of the fursecution as well.

tiddlez
Nov 25, 2006

Nice shirt, Gaywad.
http://www.savelennox.co.uk/

Has anyone seen the "save Lennox" story? It's been going on for two years but I just found out about it today. In Belfast, a family had a lab/pit mix and after 5 years of no trouble, no issues, the authorities walk in and sieze the dog under the Dangerous Dog Act.

He's been found to have no aggressive tendencies by two behaviourists and they still won't let him go home to his family. Instead he has been kept in a cell for two years.

It was his seventh birthday a little while back :( Poor Lennox. There is another court case about it today, I really hope he gets to go home :(

e: forgot to add the link!

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

There is way more to that story. It sucks to be Lennox but when you are a dog banned by (lovely) BSL and owned by a known dog-fighting gangster family who has pissed off the powers that be too many times you tend to get unlucky. Poor wee dog put in a bad situation by owners who knew full well it could/would happen.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Filboid Studge posted:

There is way more to that story. It sucks to be Lennox but when you are a dog banned by (lovely) BSL and owned by a known dog-fighting gangster family who has pissed off the powers that be too many times you tend to get unlucky. Poor wee dog put in a bad situation by owners who knew full well it could/would happen.

Either way, the dog shouldn't be used to punish the family (in a very petty and degrading manner) and the dog should NOT be suffering while in the care of the state.

Basically gently caress the nanny state for imposing BSL and gently caress anyone who thinks this is an acceptable way to treat a dog.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

a life less posted:

get a puppy

Out of curiousity, will your fiance ever be interested in a third dog? Especially another crazy high maintenance dog?

Levitate posted:

ok

Looking a little derpy

Okay yes I love your dog. When can I have her.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

Something like that happened to my dad's dogs. He had two rottweilers, Star and Otto. My dad had gotten both of them from the same litter, took amazing care of them, and they lived to be about 15. Star started declining, so they took them to the vet, who told them that Otto was in amazing health for his age, but Star was starting to shut down. They took her home to make her comfortable, and when she died, Otto wouldn't leave her, when my dad buried her, Otto wouldn't leave the grave. They found him dead on her grave a few days later.

I fully expected a red fern to grow out of their graves.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Fraction posted:

get a puppy

Out of curiousity, will your fiance ever be interested in a third dog? Especially another crazy high maintenance dog?

Yeah, that's the tough part. He's not interested, but I have a feeling that he may change his mind once we're a bit more settled and I convince him that the lion's share of the care will fall to me. Maybe. We'll have to see.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I'm moving again within a few months and the place we're moving too has A YARD! :neckbeard:

Our dog really loves being outside, but won't go out on the balcony-porch thing we have now and acts really lethargic inside. Finally he can have some room to run around instead of just extra-long walks every day.
My boyfriend is considering adopting a senior dog that our current dog gets along with well once me move, too. He's been pining over a beagle for a while, and there's tons of older beagles that end up at the local rescue. Corbin has no issue with them, he seems to still dislike "in your face" hyperactive small dogs though.

I'm so excited about it. Still up in the air as to whether it will be a beagle we're getting for sure, but regardless it'll be a senior. :3:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Wonder Bra posted:

Corwin and his grandpappy

Is there a special kind of crazy that corgi people have that make them throw joy-fits over their dogs meeting their ancestry? Because I seem to have that too.

In February, Neige met her grandfather Truman at a corgi meetup, and I nearly died of excitement. It helps that seeing photos of Truman pushed me over into full Cardigan mode when we were still trying to decide whether to go with a Pem or a Cardi. But who cares you want pictures!

Neither of them were really all that excited about it, but I sure squee'd.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Bear Rape posted:

I'm moving again within a few months and the place we're moving too has A YARD! :neckbeard:

Our dog really loves being outside, but won't go out on the balcony-porch thing we have now and acts really lethargic inside. Finally he can have some room to run around instead of just extra-long walks every day.
My boyfriend is considering adopting a senior dog that our current dog gets along with well once me move, too. He's been pining over a beagle for a while, and there's tons of older beagles that end up at the local rescue. Corbin has no issue with them, he seems to still dislike "in your face" hyperactive small dogs though.

I'm so excited about it. Still up in the air as to whether it will be a beagle we're getting for sure, but regardless it'll be a senior. :3:

That is all so awesome, yay for adopting older dogs!

And yes, I realize nothing obligates that we need to politely decline any furry adoption applications but still....I feel badly saying to things......rudely.

Anyhow, rest assured we will not let this puppy be harmed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVrstmpHn7k

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Fraction posted:

Okay yes I love your dog. When can I have her.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:

TVs Ian posted:

That is all so awesome, yay for adopting older dogs!

And yes, I realize nothing obligates that we need to politely decline any furry adoption applications but still....I feel badly saying to things......rudely.

Anyhow, rest assured we will not let this puppy be harmed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVrstmpHn7k

Seriously the cutest puppy I've ever seen. I have no idea how you guys are not going insane with that many dogs, plus a puppy.

Lucy is still my favorite :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

a life less posted:

Yeah, that's the tough part. He's not interested, but I have a feeling that he may change his mind once we're a bit more settled and I convince him that the lion's share of the care will fall to me. Maybe. We'll have to see.

Man, I dunno if I could handle that. :/ I have all sorts of crazy dog plans, and my husband is completely on board with owning a rag-tag team of dogs including a whole pack of CsV.

I so know your puppy pain, too. Over the last few years I've had some interesting things pass me by, including having puppies practically thrown at me like that. I've been getting ready for our next dog since like 2008, and we're just now coming up with an actual time line of about a year to a year and a half. So I'm just hoping things fall into place at the right time! The way I see it, if you have these opportunities pop up, something good WILL come along when you're ready. :)

In other news, I picked up some awesome books the other day! One with huskies, one with GSDs, both with awesome old pictures. :3: If there's any interest, I can post some pics.

• Locked thread