Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

I'm never going to keep another pet. Just birds. All the birds in the world forever. :colbert:

I used to keep rats, but goddamn their lifespan is just way too short for me. Just breaks my heart. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Azrael Alexander posted:

Show bred BTs are not really all that hard to manage. Some display prey drive and/or DA, but it's not as common as it is in APBTs or SBTs, and is usually fairly easy to manage as they're not really bred for anything other than to look pretty.

BT's are another breed I really wouldn't mind owning. They're neat dogs, I'd like to look into maybe rescuing one in the future. :3:

That's awesome to know. The breeder my dad got his Finnish spitzes from is a handler for some show BTs and my dad is always very :stare: about them. I think the sort of muscly appearance (and he alleges that they jump REALLY HIGH) freaks him out.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Radio! posted:

All cats.

Actually I desperately want a Sphinx, but I'll probably never get one because my first choice will always be a senior/sick cat from the shelter.

RazorBunny has it right! Sphinxes show up in rescue periodically, and especially in the Portland area. Hex is a rescue, Mogwai was a craigslist rehoming find, and so was my mom's friend's sphinx Roswell. Do not give up hope, contact the local breed club!

Speaking of naked pussy, after having experienced Hex, I would totally get another Sphinx. I am a naked cat convert. I'd even buy one from a breeder, even though the spergy part of me freaks out inside over it and it would probably make me gayer. Cats~

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

GoreJess posted:

Maybe I'm just weird, but I kind of love it when Cambria asserts her independence. Like when she decides that she's not going to come back inside until she's done sniffing that bush. If I really need to get her somewhere or away from something, I can just pick her up.

Of course, she's also spoiled me rotten, because she's very gentle with people & lets me handle her without any issues. She doesn't enjoy her grooming time, but tolerates it way better than most Scotties.

It could also be that I've just grown up around and working with gun dogs. A problem solving mind is key but dog that doesn't follow directions can mean a very frustrating retrieve or an entirely blown day of flushes outside of shotgun range.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Instant Jellyfish posted:

If I were to get a purebred cat for some reason it would either be a highlander

What, a breed of cat called Highlander? For those of you who lurk the cancer thread in Goon Doc, my hubby has testicular cancer. He hates cats but I think he needs a Highlander cat :3: Just one cat.

There can be only one. Testicle. And cat.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Deadly Chlorine posted:

I used to keep rats, but goddamn their lifespan is just way too short for me. Just breaks my heart. :smith:

Same. :( I think when my rats pass away I won't be getting any more. They're amazing pets, probably would own tons more if their lifespans weren't so short. And I have all females, so cancer city...

Still, they're lovely pets. If there was a kind of rat that lived as long as say, a guinea pig, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Robo Kitty posted:

* Not terribly drooly
* Decently long life, because I get all :qq:
* Can breathe properly (no brachys)
* Small-medium sized
* Independent enough to left alone for long periods of time; I'm often at work for 12+ hours, although I could come home at lunch
* Lower energy because I can't do long runs or biking, plus the whole absurd work hours thing
* Not a chihuahua (I'm sorry, they just look like big, trembling rats to me...)
* Not very yappy or barky (no hounds)

...yeah, it's pretty obvious that the best dog for me is a cat.

You might get away with a pair of Maltese or Silky Terriers or something like that. But the 12+ hours alone really makes you more of a cat person. :)

Dogs I would have? My next is likely going to be a rescue greyhound. At some point I'd like a deerhound as well as a big slobbery newfie or similar. I'd also love to rescue an old AmBulldog or boxer since I love those smooshy bullies but can't keep up with a younger one.

I'd like a standard poodle one day. I know a lady who shows them and she brings them in for vaccs and health tests sometimes. Her male is so elegant, affectionate and full of humour. Although she keeps them in full show coat which is... intimidating.

I think ideally I would like two dogs plus a foster at any one time.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh my god, the Highlander looks so :smith:, I just wanna love him and pet him and :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

TVs Ian posted:

I just have a feeling he's going to be a lovely mix of "I need you here all the time, look at me, I'm awesome" and "What?! You thought I was going to listen to you?"

You just described Buddy. :3: :love:

I think it's hilarious that all the Prim Breed owners are so breedist. You seriously do have to have a completely different "taste" in dogs to own them, though.

For me, although I'll never say never because, really, I'll take anything in, I really just prefer the dogs I listed and ones similar. :shobon: What it boils down to is that I like easy to read body language and intelligence. I don't care if you choose not to listen, but *I* get bored with training if it takes too long for the point to get across. V :) V

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

InEscape posted:

When I'm finally ready I want something medium sized and vaguely active. I think. I like spaniels but I heard they are neurotic with interesting death-related genetic defects.

Field bred spaniels are generally pretty healthy! I know it's true for many dogs, but I think spaniels especially have pretty big differences between show and field type.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

a big slobbery newfie or similar.

Man, I know, right? I'd love to grab that big old mutt in a headlock and get all sloppy and gross and just. :3: Dawgs.

I do it with Balen but he's nowhere near as slobbery as a newfie.

quote:

I'd like a standard poodle one day. I know a lady who shows them and she brings them in for vaccs and health tests sometimes. Her male is so elegant, affectionate and full of humour. Although she keeps them in full show coat which is... intimidating.

That's what makes me so hesitant with standard poodles. I normally brush and groom every couple of days. That.. doesn't work with a poodle coat unless you keep it super short, and I'd rather have it longer or show cut or something. If I'm super busy and unable to do something with the danes or even Kaydee and Ires for a few days in a row, I might run into one tangle on Kaydee and.. that's pretty much it. A poodle would be a nightmare by that point.

I like primal breeds but I feel like the majority would be a bad match for husband, potentially me too.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

There's always cording ;)

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Man, I know, right? I'd love to grab that big old mutt in a headlock and get all sloppy and gross and just. :3: Dawgs.

Hell yes I love getting all slobbered.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That's what makes me so hesitant with standard poodles. I normally brush and groom every couple of days. That.. doesn't work with a poodle coat unless you keep it super short, and I'd rather have it longer or show cut or something.

I like the 'puppy cut' coat that a lot of doodles get groomed with. There's a couple doodles I see at work who have cords on their heads and I think it's adorable :3: but then the owners say they get crap from people who think they're just neglecting the dogs.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Thats why I'd never get like...a newfie or something. Too much slobber. I don't want to be slobbered on all the time, it's gross. :(

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Bash Ironfist posted:

I don't want to be slobbered on all the time, it's gross beautiful dawgy love.

I know right?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

GoreJess posted:

What's with all the hate for terriers!?!? They're compact, strong little dogs with amazing personalities & the drive to attack rodents. Plus, the best terriers have scruffy old man beards & eyebrows.

I honestly don't like their personalities too much, or at least the ones I've met. I know schnauzers aren't really the same, either, but uuugh, my in-laws' dog and the dog of the boy I nanny are both so clingy and their wet beards get all over me and feel gross. :( I also don't like the feeling of their coats one bit.

There is one terrier thing in my building named Captain and I'd probably steal him in a heartbeat because he's pretty great, but I find him the exception rather than the rule.

I guess they're just not my thing. Give me a gently caress you dog that clumps fur on everything I love. I should buy stock in lint rollers...

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That's what makes me so hesitant with standard poodles. I normally brush and groom every couple of days. That.. doesn't work with a poodle coat unless you keep it super short, and I'd rather have it longer or show cut or something.

Hell no! If I had a standard, I would shave that thing bald. I'm talking a #10 blade from nose to tail, ears and topknot and all. Then they just look like retrievers. :3: That hair is SO not worth it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: ^^^^ Nooooo. Whyyyy? Then it's so much harder to turn it into something ridiculous looking. Like a giant booberry or something.

Eh, I think if I wanted cords I'd go with a puli or a komodor or something. I like the puppy cut alright. I also like giant ridiculous lion cuts because it's just so demoralizing to the dog.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I just want a mini egg dog.

And black cats.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I can't imagine myself getting a cat that wasn't a random teenage or adult shelter mutt. I kind of want one black one (preferably a giant medium or longhaired puffball, as if my allergies weren't bad enough already) and one orange one to go with my tortoiseshell. Realistically though my family has always been under the tortie-calico spell and I'm just going to live in my palace of tortitude forever. I'm also looking forward to being able to adopt a bonded pair at some point, because catpiles are awesome and it's so hard to adopt out adult pairs, and because my goal is clearly to be the craziest single cat lady in existence.

That said, if I ever ran across a Bengal rescue and I was in the market for a new cat, I would love to have one.

I used to hate the look of Sphynxes but over the past year I've really warmed up to them with all the Hex-love. That said the whole oily thing kinda icks me out.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

GoreJess posted:

Maybe I'm just weird, but I kind of love it when Cambria asserts her independence. Like when she decides that she's not going to come back inside until she's done sniffing that bush. If I really need to get her somewhere or away from something, I can just pick her up.

Of course, she's also spoiled me rotten, because she's very gentle with people & lets me handle her without any issues. She doesn't enjoy her grooming time, but tolerates it way better than most Scotties.

Oh yeah, I adore most terriers, they're spunky and fun little dogs, but a little more drivey than what I think I'd want, and I'm just so much more drawn to larger breeds. So no terrier hate, just not the group for me. :)

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Not super exotic, I know, but I think I really like Blue Heelers and mixes thereof. The Border Collie/Blue Heeler mix puppy that's sitting in the shelter now is pretty much my dream dog. Thankfully, he's super cute and friendly so someone will take him home before I think about it too much :ohdear:

I'd also love a Standard Poodle, they're just such lovely dogs. I got to do the weekly grooming for a pair when I was in school, there's something really satisfying about brushing it out properly as it dried so it poufs just so :3:

A Wheaten Terrier would be nice as a family pet, but from what I've seen of my Dad's dog that breed is not the brightest crayon in the box.

I'm kind of surprised Standard Poodle + [herding breed] hasn't become some stupid craze. German Shoodles, anyone?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Perhaps the non-terrier types just haven't watched enough Kids in the Hall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32bD4VMMzkg

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I am pretty sure I will have a non-disabled toller some day. And I'll never be without a Bengal.

Never ever: any terrier, any toy breed, any brachycephalic breed, anything that needs grooming beyond nail trims and running a brush through every so often and maybe ear plucking/foot trimming.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Engineer Lenk posted:

Bruce McCulloch :allears:

Look at the life his love of terriers led to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygS_gm9nZYU

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!

Engineer Lenk posted:

Apidae posted:

Bruce McCulloch :allears:

Look at the life his love of terriers led to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygS_gm9nZYU

And now I'm going to have to crush your head then take some brain candy

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Whatever man.Cats rule, dogs drool.

Selkirk Rexes for life. He might be a whiny bitch that cries every time I take his sweater off, but he's way cooler than any stupid dog will ever be.

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

Cornish Rexes are pretty cool, too.

They are like sheep cats :3:

Also apparently some breeders are trying to breed for orange/black markings that resemble miniature tigers.
Why yes, they are indeed calling the breed "toyger".
They are ridiculously cute and I want one.

I pretty much just want all the cattes. All the cattes.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

GoreJess posted:

What's with all the hate for terriers!?!? They're compact, strong little dogs with amazing personalities & the drive to attack rodents. Plus, the best terriers have scruffy old man beards & eyebrows.

QFT, scruffy terriers for life.

Not all of them are strong and driven though. Show terriers :negative:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

FlyingFish posted:

Also apparently some breeders are trying to breed for orange/black markings that resemble miniature tigers.
Why yes, they are indeed calling the breed "toyger".
They are ridiculously cute and I want one.

I pretty much just want all the cattes. All the cattes.

OMG its paws are huge :3:

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

a life less posted:

It's just about exactly what I've been wanting in my next pup, but at the wrong time. I'm getting married soon, my fiance isn't interested in adding another dog, and I'm too busy to concentrate on raising a pup correctly. But oh my god, I want one so badly.

HNNGPUPPIES!!!
Posting from a couple of pages back but this is important. Ship the pup over, I'll take it off your hands.

Edit. I think I'm eventually going to end up with four dogs. The bc-to-be (if I ever find a breeder I like and a pup that fits me, it's a loving chore looking for just the right dog) and I'd like to have a fierce, drivey little terrier. At some point in life before I'm too old I want to get a working Malinois provided I find one I like, or a Terv out of Malinois lines.

I've also already volunteered to take in the Finnish Spitz pup my dad wants and just borrow it to him when it's hunting season (he's really not that good with training dogs and would be overwhelmed with a puppy). I'm going to title it in Agility just because no one here thinks Finkies are any good for anything but hunting and barking :3:

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 25, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Most dogs are in the never-ever category for me, not because I don't like them but because I know I'm not going to be able to motivate myself to do all the dog stuff a dog needs. Counting on a dog to make me more active than a daily 30-45 minute walk is just a dream. :( On the other hand, a job where I got to meet All The Dogs would be great! I've honestly never met a breed I didn't like.

If I'm ever set up well for a dog, I totally want to look into getting a retired greyhound or two, though. Ridiculously tall leaning-on-people, doofy couch-lying, walks in the neighborhood, maybe getting into occasional lure coursing or something... :3: Or for something different an older standard poodle. I've known so many standard poodles that were such a great mix of being up for a hike or a walk or a game, or for chilling around the house.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Most dogs are in the never-ever category for me, not because I don't like them but because I know I'm not going to be able to motivate myself to do all the dog stuff a dog needs. Counting on a dog to make me more active than a daily 30-45 minute walk is just a dream.

This is why I will also never have a dog. This and the fact that, as a cat person, I actually have no idea how dogs work. How can I tell you're happy if you're not purring or squeezing your eyes shut at me??? What do you mean you don't like chin scritches???

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

TVs Ian posted:

No offense, but my Chihuahua is more athletic and dog like than any Boston I've ever met :colbert: And more quiet/well-behaved.

It's okay Chihuahua buddy, they don't know what they're missing out on! :hfive:

Also, most people who meet Sasquatch go "I don't ever really like little dogs, but he's awesome!" Because they've never met one with a nice personality who has been raised as a dog and not a stuffed animal.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Apidae posted:

I'm kind of surprised Standard Poodle + [herding breed] hasn't become some stupid craze. German Shoodles, anyone?

Aussiedoodles are totally a thing.

Breeds I would love to have: Aussies, Border Collies, Belgian Shepherds (Malis, Groens and Tervs).

Maybes: Duck Toller, Pyrenean Shepherd, and I'm developing a real soft spot for working Spaniels.

Nevereverevers: Toy breeds, brachy breeds, hounds, mastiffs, giant breeds.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I saw some supposed German Shepherd x poodles at a pet store once. They just looked like black poodle puppies at that age. Seems like that would be one of the most potentially neurotic combinations you could breed.

This one looks kinda like a moldy Old English Sheepdog.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Rixatrix posted:

Posting from a couple of pages back but this is important. Ship the pup over, I'll take it off your hands.

Edit. I think I'm eventually going to end up with four dogs. The bc-to-be (if I ever find a breeder I like and a pup that fits me, it's a loving chore looking for just the right dog) and I'd like to have a fierce, drivey little terrier. At some point in life before I'm too old I want to get a working Malinois provided I find one I like, or a Terv out of Malinois lines.

I've also already volunteered to take in the Finnish Spitz pup my dad wants and just borrow it to him when it's hunting season (he's really not that good with training dogs and would be overwhelmed with a puppy). I'm going to title it in Agility just because no one here thinks Finkies are any good for anything but hunting and barking :3:

If you train it for agility and hunting, I'd love to see updates on it. My dad has two and they're very good at being pretty and barking.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
Things I never want to deal with in a future dog: DA, HA, BSL, needing to be clipped at the groomer, blowing coat, high-pitched barks. Would not want to own a herder, sighthound, terrier, giant breed or anything that can't hack it hiking in the woods year-round. (I would totally consider getting another rescue pug someday, though; mine was pretty awesome.)

Bash I know it was from a while ago but your Boston is probably capable of a lot more than you think. When I was a kid the family pug - an even less-functional breed than a Boston - was down for running on the track, hiking and running alongside my bike in the woods, swimming in the ocean, etc. It just takes some awareness of the weather and providing water/breaks when needed. She would've gone crazy without at least 2 30-minute walk/jogs a day. If it's hot out then you can exercise him indoors (play fetch down a hallway or tug) or wait until the sun goes down - if you're concerned about giardia then take him to the woods or somewhere away from your neighborhood and dog parks. Letting a brachycephalic breed get out of shape is the worst thing you can do with them.

v The lifespan/health issues and the long wait before I can take one running on pavement/track is what turns me off of giant breeds. That said I would feel a million times safer running alone at night if I had a 150lb. dog with me.

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 25, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If you're going hiking for extended periods every single day, a giant breed may not be into it, but if it's like. weekends or something, are you kiddin' me? Once it cools off a bit we're taking Balen and Amy (maybe Kaydee and Ires too) up into the mountains to go look around.

Okay, cools off a lot. But still. I think it really depends on how hardcore your activity level is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Does anybody follow Marc Maron on Twitter? From his standup I knew he had something of a penchant for taking in stray cats, and over the last couple of days he's been posting about a beat-up stray that's been lurking nearby. From the very beginning I could tell he was going to keep it :3:

Turns out the cat is 8-9 years old, neutered, and is getting bloodwork done tomorrow.

I love it when grumpy comedians have secret sweet spots like that.

• Locked thread