Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Reposting sheep alpha rolling because it is ridiculous.

Crazy Sheep Lady posted:

These dominance demonstrations are the same as those that dog trainers use. We have found that they are extremely effective ways of managing rams....for mild threats to humans, or for various other bad behaviors, such as barn or fence bashing. The goal is the same as that for naughty ram-lambs: to get them on their sides or backs (helpless) with you holding them down. You establish yourself as “alpha ram” and teach the delinquent ram that he must never question his lesser position to humans, or the requirements of living in a flock situation.

After the ram is on his side/back, hold him with his head turned severely around to the side, and use a knee to hold him down, until he gives up struggling. If this is a first offense, the sense of helplessness may be all that is necessary. But if the ram has needed discipline more than once, also hold his nose for several seconds with one hand, with the other hand holding the head. Don’t hold their noses until they pass out...they lose enough brain cells on their own!

While the ram is down, shout at him! Shout something that you can use as a verbal reminder later. It may take more than one application of this treatment to make an impression, especially if the ram has decided that he can misbehave and still remain alive!

The farm that posted that raises Shetland Sheep which only get about 100 lbs max so it makes things easier. They did a picture guide.

I want them to try on one of these guys instead.

Yearling Horned Dorset ram

Full grown Suffolk ram

vv A mature Suffolk ram can weigh 350 lbs vv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

notsoape posted:

:stare: That... that topline...

How much of that is grooming versus the actual conformation of the sheep?

That is a top winning senior Suffolk ram in my state so I'm sure the people showing it have done a bit of corrective grooming and standing him at an angle because he's worth a fortune in IA fees. That said Suffolks are shown sheared pretty short so the topline really pretty drat flat. They are supposed to "have a straight spine from the base of the neck to the tail head" and generally be built like a table.

Here's another, younger Suffolk that's basically naked and still has a topline you could balance a glass on.

Big time competitors used to dock the tail all the way up practically to the pelvis so the tail didn't get in the way of the sheep's outline but that's been banned now because it was linked to rectal prolapse. Show sheep people are kind of nuts.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

notsoape posted:

Jeez. So, are they considered a meat breed or fleece or just ~fancy~?

They're a meat breed that grows super fast and are the largest and most common sheep breed in the US. They are often used in the production of "club lambs" which are show lambs used in 4H/FFA/etc shows. According to my American Sheep Industry Handbook they "produce superior, high-cutability carcassess", have a fairly short lifespan and are used as terminal sires to produce market lambs when crossed with fine wool ewes.

Edit:
Suffolks and Suffolk crosses also can carry the gene for something called "Spider Lamb Syndrome" which is almost as horrible as it sounds.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 24, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fraction posted:

On that note, what breeds are people interested in owning at some point in their lives?

I plan on having 2 dogs in the future but not while Major is alive. He is definitely an only dog. Post-Major, it will either be a permanent dog and a rotating foster or two permanent dogs. Futuredog will probably be either a Field spaniel or a working line Springer or English Cocker spaniel. I live near a lot of great hunting areas and would love to go out with my friend and her pointers. I also want to dabble in some sports like rally and having a sporty little dog that's willing to try stuff would be awesome.

Having a sheep farm I feel obligated to have a herding dog so at some point I'll probably end up with a Aussie or maybe a BC but I really want a break from nutty herders and my sheep are so chill I don't need help moving them very often at all. A cardi is probably in the far distant future too because I grew up with corgis and love the breed but I'm not sure if many could handle working my sheep on my pasture setup. The grass gets super tall and my parent's pem can barely get through it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

notsoape posted:

Now let's talk about breeds we would never in a million years own

Primitive breeds, terriers, scent hounds, most giant breeds, brachycephalic dogs and most dogs under 20 lbs until I'm old and want a toddle around the house dog. Really it's easier to list dogs I do want. There's a lot of dogs I find fascinating and gorgeous but I don't want to own one.

Edit:
In non-dog breeds I really want shetland sheep, tunis sheep and nubian goats but I doubt I'll get any. I would never ever want navajo-churro sheep, one of the table-y meat breeds, or one of the trophy bred hair sheep breeds.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 25, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

If I were to get a purebred cat for some reason it would either be a highlander

or a peterbald

just because they both look cool. Really I just want a fat orange tabby my friend has who is amazingly tolerant of me squishing his cat udders :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Skizzles posted:

Friend just posted this on FB:

I hate people. :psyduck:

I don't get it. The lady's dog was hanging out in the AC so the only risk was that someone would break in and take the dog instead of the stuff. Your friend's time was "sucked up" because she stood around worrying about a dog in no immanent danger instead of moving on with her life while the owner ran into Rite Aid. I've seen a lot of terrible dog ownership, that barely even makes the list. Also, what are the cops going to do? Break into the car? The dog was fine. They would probably show up and tell your friend to stop calling them for stupid poo poo.

vv Sometime people have multiple sets of keys so they can lock the door and leave the car running at the same time while they go into a store for 15 minutes. Maybe I'm just pissy because I'm blonde but this seems like a lot of judgement over nothing. vvv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 25, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I went to a fiber festival/sheep auction today and saw so many awesome working dogs. There were big floofy pyr puppies and a lady who is working on starting a line of working komondor and a kelpie and a huge formentino cane corso and lots of pretty aussies! There weren't any border collies which was sad but kind of confirmed what I've suspected about bcs in the area not being bred to actually work on a farm anymore.

This dog was my favorite. I don't generally like merles but I think minimally marked ones are striking. Especially this one's single white eye patch on solid red merle. So pretty :swoon:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My parents' neighbors have a big lanky BYB yellow lab named Bilbo. I asked them if they liked Lord of the Rings and they had no clue what I was talking about :psyduck:

Major came with his name and I was too uncreative to change it once I started using it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

He's so handsome :allears: Some variety of spaniel?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The lady I bought my new sheep from had a BC she got as a sheepdog trial washout (he loved people more than herding) and now I want one. At one point the farmer was trying to figure out where the dog was and realized that she had told the dog to hold the sheep and it still was almost 20 minutes later but it wasn't frantically busy like some other bcs I've met. When he was released he came over for some love then wandered off to occupy himself. The dogs from the breeder he came from come already trained on stock so I would know it could work/its general temperament and I wouldn't have to deal with a puppy. The breeder even does all sorts of health testing which is a miracle in the stockdog world. Maybe if it was a little female Major wouldn't want to eat her too much...

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

paisleyfox posted:

Do you think talking to the vet about some drugs are in order to help him calm down?

Yes, that sounds like some pretty severe anxiety (especially randomly snapping at people) and a vet with behavior experience could really help a lot. For now you could try a DAP diffuser or collar to take the edge off. Poor old man :(

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

paisleyfox posted:

Thanks IJ. I was hoping you might ring in on this. He is at the vet now, we'll know what they say later tonight. He apparently did better last night after even more wearing out and some training (the foster home already taught him to shake. :3: They closed all the doors and he actually ended up sleeping in his bed all night, no digging, so hopefully this is the first step to him not freaking out.)

If you don't mind me asking, about how much does it cost you to keep Major on his meds?

Major takes 1 and a half pills of generic 50 mg sertraline a day (he's 80 lbs) and I get a 45 day supply for $10 at a regular person pharmacy. My behaviorist looked around for the best deal for me though. At wal-mart his meds cost over $40 for the same amount so just look around for the place with the best generic prescription deal if your vet will write him a script and not make you fill it there. The dog specific pills cost way more for the exact same thing so its good to know your options.

Hopefully he's turning a corner and just needs some time to adjust. If he's been moved around a lot he might just be reacting poorly to all the change and will be able to work things out without meds.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

buttzilla posted:

Keep the drama out.

I would give it its own post to be safe.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

notsoape posted:

I dunno man, I'd like to think it was possible to discuss this issue without drama.

I'm willing to give it a try :)

My issue with what ButWhatIf was saying is the insinuation that breeders who work to produce dogs with traditional or working temperaments are doing a disservice to the breed or society as a whole.

Shelters aren't full of BCs who came from working farms and generations of sheep herding dogs, they're full of dogs from BYBs who sell collies to anyone who thinks they want a "smart" dog so they don't need to bother to train them. If they were really full of working dogs every farm in my state would be snapping them up. As it is you can hardly find a BC who would be an asset to a working farm anymore.

Dobies, GSDs, and Mals who have the temperament to protect their owners when needed but otherwise are stable, loyal companions are not the reason why they are on BSL lists. I have never heard of a IPO/modio ring/french ring titled dog running loose and mauling children. Again, the problem is breeders who are not breeding for an appropriate temperament and selling puppies to anyone who has the cash. Even in 2012, there are people who live in fear of being attacked in their homes and want the protection a good dog can provide.

Like notsoape, I don't have a problem with people breeding low drive dogs as long as they are good breeders and honest about what they are producing. I also love breeders who will straight up tell you that their dogs will be too much for the average owner as long as they then do not sell to an average owner. I think breeders in general just need to learn how to say no to people and prospective buyers need to be honest about what they need in a dog beyond physical appearance.

As a gesture of goodwill, have a goat. This goat was not bred for a working temperament and is a terrible specimen :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Major managed to lose a fight with a raccoon without actually touching the raccoon.

I was walking him by my barn when I saw this young raccoon eating all my sheep food like he has been all week and I decided to let Major put the fear of God into it. Major was on leash and the raccoon had a head start so I wasn't particularly worried about a physical confrontation. The raccoon bolted up a rafter and sat there terrified while Major screamed and barked and lunged and tried to climb the pole to get him. After a few minutes I decided that the dog was going to give himself an aneurysm if I let him keep going and called him/dragged him off still screaming. When we got out of the barn I noticed his face was absolutely covered in blood and it was just dripping everywhere.

Turns out in his hollering, Major bit his tongue which then was slapping blood all over his face and neck. Plus he split a back nail trying to climb up the post. Good job dog. He probably would be less hurt if I had actually let him just fight the thing.

Major's now trying to convince me with his tongue sticking out about a foot and his super intense face on that he really needs to go back outside to kill the raccoongo potty.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

To be fair, a yellow lab is closer looking to a golden than a lot of their breed mix ups.

They label this a Finnish Spitz in their breed selector thing:

This is what a Finnish Spitz actually looks like:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

This picture of a "beauceron" was in their dogs 101 episode about briards.

This is what a beauceron actually looks like:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Captain Foxy posted:

He's loving adorable, in all seriousness. Who doesn't love a big burly dude covered in tattoos (granted, they are of gay cats) who loves a kitty? Especially if he really really loves a kitty.

His ideas about cat shelving around the entire room of a house, daily playtime routines and 'don't pick the cat up if it does that' are stupidly simple, yet no one seems to put them in effect because hurr it's a cat it just lays around hurr. I hope the show gets as popular as Victoria's.

I love that show and I don't even have or want cats.

So many episodes have idiots who manhandle their cats and then are shocked when they get mauled. If you want your cat in a specific room, put food in that room. There is no reason to put on full protective gear to wrangle a cat when you can convince them to go somewhere without touching them at all. I can't imagine doing something that gets me clawed to hell every day and not taking the 10 minutes to think of a better way to do it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Golden-i posted:

She made it up, no pattern :3: super talented lass, that one. This is definitely a complicated quilt, but the real kicker is that she made it out of old fabric (t-shirts that didn't fit anymore and whatever else we had lying around) so she didn't have to spend a penny.

Next time she should make a corgi quilt! I found this shop on spoonflower and now I am longing to sew a nerdy dog quilt but I have zero time to finish the quilt I started 3 years ago so I probably shouldn't start a new one.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I got a new memory foam topper for my bed and I'm not sure if me or the dog like it more. I was sitting on the couch and he just kept peering down the hall from my bedroom and stomping his feet until I got up and took my computer to bed so he could sleep and still keep an eye on me. He may be a little spoiled.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fraction posted:

Oh god not again :mad:

At least Brad Pattison remains in America. I don't even want to share a country with that guy.

He remains in Canada :eng101:

We have enough terribleness, don't give us credit for that idiot too.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I thought "hybrid" names were supposed to be cutesy. Who the gently caress wants something called a "crustie"? It just sounds like a dog with a skin condition, which given the type of people who are breeding them is probably pretty accurate.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Captain Foxy posted:

It's going to happen soon, at any rate. I want to be talking serious with breeders by January. I've waited a long time to get Keeper a companion and I have no more patience. PUPPY NOW.

This is what I love about PI folks. Puppy now=in the next 6 months to a year after I contact reputable breeders who I have already been researching for ages and have thoroughly evaluated. It means I can actually get excited for people instead of internally cringing. I fully expect to see tiny dog agility pictures! Papillons are especially prone to PES due to the giant ridiculous ears.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Azrael Alexander posted:

Easy walkers are expensive, but they really are worth it. If your dog pulls at all you'd be happy to have it.

I like the sense-ation/sense-able harnesses better (and they're cheaper) but yeah. Front clip harnesses are really helpful when you're teaching a dog to walk nicely or if you're worried about their trachea. I make Major wear his when we're going out somewhere because it makes him less reactive than if he's on a collar alone even though he is really good about loose leash walking now.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Things like that are actually really easy to make, just google "felted vessel" or knit a really big bag if you're a knitter and then felt it. It shouldn't take $60 worth of material and effort.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Major has decided that today isn't a day to poop but is otherwise fine with all the fireworks/thunderstorms/random shooting we've had today. Last year he needed extra meds, his thundershirt and nonstop loaded kongs to keep from spending the day pressed into a corner shaking. With some extra work on sound desensitization this year he hasn't needed any of it.

I'm so proud of my sweet man :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

TVs Ian posted:

Can someone please explain to me why the gently caress some business lot outside my town is having a "Small Animal Swap" this weekend? Who the hell would go to or host such a thing?! :mad:

BRB, just going to the Small Animal Swap to pick up a bushel of Guinea Pigs~

There's one on my town held at the abandoned school yard. Here it's mostly chickens, meat rabbits, and bummer lambs with the occasional wormy barn kitten thrown in. My town has less than 2,000 people so its mostly just an excuse for rednecks to get together on a Saturday and try to offload a nasty roo on a neighbor you don't like.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

ChairmanMeow posted:

For all the prize winners I took pics of the tags, I missed that guys.
going to start a pic dump thread.

If you don't want to start a whole new thread I'm always happy to have more pictures in my farming/livestock pictures thread :)

That chicken definitely looks like a silkie.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Proper car restraints come up a lot around here so I thought other people might find this interesting. The "Center for Pet Safety" is starting to do independent studies of dog harnesses and the results are not so good. It's a little disturbing watching the fake dogs fly around and get decapitated. You can read the whole report here but I wish they named names about what harnesses they were testing.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Rumor is that the first video is a bergan and the 4th is a kurgo. I'm sure some clever internet detective will figure it out.

Major has to ride in a covered crate or else he is super unsafe in the car. It is strapped in and so wedged in my pickup's cab that I can't move it if I try. I know its still not as safe as it should be but it's all I can do really. No harness is going to be safe if he spends the whole car ride ramming into the windows screaming.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

2tomorrow posted:

The only reason she doesn't want it is that she doesn't want dog hair on the comforter, they don't disturb her sleep or anything and the two who sleep on the bed are very polite about moving when you so much as nudge them. I just feel very comforted and secure when they're cuddled up against my feet. I am really not willing to compromise on this but I'm also afraid that makes me a crazy dog person. :ohdear:

It sounds like you're giving up a lot of your wants so it would be perfectly reasonable to me to ask her to compromise on this one as long as she isn't horribly allergic or incapable of sleeping with dogs in the bed. Maybe you can offer to put an extra sheet on top of the comforter to keep some hair out? It seems less like a crazy dog issue and more like a relationship issue. You're allowed to be your own person and do what you like even when you're in a committed relationship. Just because you are moving in together doesn't mean she gets to dictate every aspect of your life.

I am a wildly independent person though and if someone "declared" something would not be allowed in my home I would declare they could take a hike. A more healthy, adult reaction would to sit down and have a talk about it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Well, maybe a necrophiliac. However, from this angle:

I'd say he's a real animal in bed, so yeah, you're a furry. I'm sorry.

Way to go. You posted too many Brad Pittbull pics and got the whole subforum changed to Penis Land. I hope you're proud of yourself.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It's going to be even harder to explain PISS to my family now.

"Yeah I'm sending presents to a stranger from Penis Land but it's actually about pets more than penises. No it's not a beastiality site mom I swear."

As huge and beautiful as Chido's cock is, Tim the Enchanter's tiny cock killed a 'possum and that's pretty impressive. It's not all about size, it's about skill.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

What a neat video. The Belgian Mastiffs look like a (more) giant version of Major :3:

That Boston is severely lacking in ~breed type~.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yesterday a pallet factory burned down about a mile from me. I'm in a small community so everyone rushed over and moved the horses (it was mostly run by Amish) to safety and started a bucket chain until the fire trucks got there.

The local paper covered it and instead of posting a picture of people valiantly fighting the fire they posted this picture of a firefighter playing with a kitty.

Farm cats are totally unphased by anything.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

wtftastic posted:

Yeah. Seconding that.

Also can we get more ACD pictures up in this thread?

Major is only part ACD but he's freckly and an rear end in a top hat so I guess he counts.

He's spent the last hour trying to figure out what he needs to destroy in order for me to take him back outside so he can scream at rat holes in the barn some more. If he was 60 lbs smaller he'd be a hell of a ratter.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Who the gently caress is buying husky mixes to fight? Especially husky/dachshund mixes.

Pfox you had better post a thread when you get a puppy. I am dying of puppy fever and I need shiba puppy pics in my life.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

What the hell is "rockrollar" supposed to be? Bullmasive I got, and I'm used to dotsons and chiwawas and shizues, but what is a rockrollar?

Rottweiler. Craigslist makes my head hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Oh man, goat ladies may be even worse than dog ladies. I'm on the colored angora goat group on facebook and some of the discussions on there are insane.

A bunch of people have been discussing getting new goats from a big angora goat auction in Texas and a vet (who happens to be the vet that sees my dog) asked everyone what their biosecurity protocols were like and if they were testing all the goats they were buying for CL, a highly contagious disease that causes terrible abscesses, because it's known to be fairly prevalent in Texas herds.

Everyone lost it. They said since she had only been involved with goats for 5 years she shouldn't be "pointing fingers", they said since she is a vet she should be providing free CL tests to everyone because no one can afford them otherwise (they cost ~$20), that since she is a small animal vet she doesn't know anything about goats, and some were only a breath away from shouting "DONT MESS WITH TEXAS" and shooting guns in the air.

One lady even brought up a terrible barn fire that killed the vets whole goat herd this spring, saying that her not being able to save her animals despite having taken all the necessary fire precautions was the same as them not bothering to test animals they sell for contagious disease somehow?

The only good thing about this conversation was that it reminded me to tell the person I'm hoping to buy goats from this winter that I need them tested before I pick them up. I will just pay the $20, I am not sticking my head in the sand and just hoping I don't spread infectious disease to my whole flock.

• Locked thread