Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oh no. :( I was so hoping the old nonsense thread would go to 500 pages and close. You guys just had to yell at each other! :fist: :saddowns:

That puppy is godawfully adorable, but like I said man. That dog is gonna destroy your house. The cute ones always do.

Balen's birthday is in 2 days. I went shopping.

I got supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

This is revenge for me being one of the first to predict you were keeping Ires, isn't it? :colbert:

And I am reposting this picture from the closed thread because it is my current favorite.

Yeah, pretty much. Even though she's a good girl now. :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

AcetylCoA! posted:

Speaking of cute puppies, how's yours doing?

Barky. Doofy. :3: She dives off the couch onto Amy, Balen and Kaydee regularly to play. She leaps straight up, tucks her little front paws under herself then somehow ends up halfway across the room.

If I can, I'll get some pictures of her and everybody else today. If not, there'll be plenty of pictures for Balen's birthday tomorrow.

A life less: That little one with the tiny white collar is way, way too sweet.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

Sooooooo there is someone interested in adopting Nori, a friend of a friend to my sister in law. And the girls Facebook profile picture is of herself......in a full sparkle dog fur suit.

Question is, what is a polite way to be HaHAAAno?

"I'm sorry, but I think you'd rape this puppy so no".

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

notsoape posted:

Out of interest, what size 'pack' are the PI dog people eventually aiming for? I'm keeping one spot open for another small lurcher in the next few years- hopefully a Mouse daughter, if she does well in the field - but three dogs (two being my very own, Dan is really a family dog) will be my limit for the foreseeable future.

I dream of a day when I own 500 fenced acres and I have a herd of danes stampeding toward me at full run, tongues, ears and tails flopping around everywhere.

Dog-wise I can't really see more than 5, ever, and certainly not more than this while we're still moving around. Hell, I didn't intend on this. Ires just kinda happened. v:shobon:v But things change and who really knows. It'll depend on what our living situation is like a billion years down the road.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

\On that note, what breeds are people interested in owning at some point in their lives?

Chessies, flatcoats, danes (so many danes), wolfhounds, mastiffs, brittanys, springers, CKCs, papillons, poms, deerhounds, saints, newfies, giant schnauzers, irish setters, RRs. I don't really know about corgis. They're a 'sort of' want. Kinda like goldens. Corgis I really don't wanna deal with the back problems and goldens I don't wanna deal with the cancer.

I might be open to pharaoh hounds, greyhounds, beezers, salukis, afghans or standard poodles but those would be far, far down the road. Kinda like mastiffs will be. :smith:

E: I have no idea how I forgot salukis.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 24, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

That's a lot of dogs! What if you had to pick like, your top five?

Dane, mastiff, RR, Flatcoat, Pom (or pom mix) probably.

E: Sometimes it is just specific dogs that don't get along. Talk to other people, see if they know the pit and see if it's gone after other dogs in my opinion.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

notsoape posted:

Now let's talk about breeds we would never in a million years own

For me, one dealbreaker is the long, double coat that you see with Spitz and such. Another is extreme brachycephaly. Also I have no interest in most of the A/KC terrier breeds. American Cocker Spaniels creep me out a little, as do Affenpinschers

Now you :colbert:

I will never own a beagle or a foxhound because BAROUU BARROOU BARROOUUUUU? :downs:

They're cute but oh god.

No boxers or brachy breeds either.

E: I probably wouldn't own a lot of terriers, but I'm a sucker for cairns. I doubt it'd be a good match though.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 25, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GoreJess posted:

What's with all the hate for terriers!?!? They're compact, strong little dogs with amazing personalities & the drive to attack rodents. Plus, the best terriers have scruffy old man beards & eyebrows.

Schnauzer's as close as I get to terriers, really. I dunno. I've just never really been into the majority of them. I'd entertain the idea of a cairn, but it'd have to be the right cairn.

A small side note: Since Balen has been a little young thing (with no white on his fuzzy face, even), if the water is running, I steal the kitchen hose up and spray him. His job is to get away without getting sprayed. It's like water tag. And he comes back for more.

Watching four dogs do this is amazing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

a big slobbery newfie or similar.

Man, I know, right? I'd love to grab that big old mutt in a headlock and get all sloppy and gross and just. :3: Dawgs.

I do it with Balen but he's nowhere near as slobbery as a newfie.

quote:

I'd like a standard poodle one day. I know a lady who shows them and she brings them in for vaccs and health tests sometimes. Her male is so elegant, affectionate and full of humour. Although she keeps them in full show coat which is... intimidating.

That's what makes me so hesitant with standard poodles. I normally brush and groom every couple of days. That.. doesn't work with a poodle coat unless you keep it super short, and I'd rather have it longer or show cut or something. If I'm super busy and unable to do something with the danes or even Kaydee and Ires for a few days in a row, I might run into one tangle on Kaydee and.. that's pretty much it. A poodle would be a nightmare by that point.

I like primal breeds but I feel like the majority would be a bad match for husband, potentially me too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: ^^^^ Nooooo. Whyyyy? Then it's so much harder to turn it into something ridiculous looking. Like a giant booberry or something.

Eh, I think if I wanted cords I'd go with a puli or a komodor or something. I like the puppy cut alright. I also like giant ridiculous lion cuts because it's just so demoralizing to the dog.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If you're going hiking for extended periods every single day, a giant breed may not be into it, but if it's like. weekends or something, are you kiddin' me? Once it cools off a bit we're taking Balen and Amy (maybe Kaydee and Ires too) up into the mountains to go look around.

Okay, cools off a lot. But still. I think it really depends on how hardcore your activity level is.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Solution: get both!

I dread the day I start asking you guys if I should get a mantle, a harlequin or a black dane. Because I'm ending up with three puppies, aren't I?

And I love my cats-I-never-post-about. I really do. Gabe's a giant lover and Sarah's a total oval office, but I love'em. Just.. if I had to choose between cats and dogs forever, it'd be dogs. ...Well, dogs and reptiles. If I had to choose between those, oh god, I'd never be able to decide.

E: Also, AA forever.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 25, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:3: It's Balen's birthday today. He's 7. He got a double whopper with cheese and it was gone in about three bites. He was basically the happiest dog ever when I pulled it out of the wrapper. I'll post pictures of goofy dressup and stuff later on.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

El Gar posted:

This is extremely nice to hear, you made my day. Thank you.

Picking up after Balen and Amy is like shoving my hand into a bowl of squashy, hot dough. When I grab poo poo, it tends to smoosh outward through my plastic-covered fingers. Even if I manage to get it all in one bag (and mind you, when I do, I feel like I've won the world series), there is a very high chance that a bit will flop off the edge onto my hand and roll over it, leaving a brownish smear. Or it will break the bag due to weight and then I must race at top speed to a trash can before it gets on my shoes.

I usually use a plastic bag from Walmart. Or two. Dane ownership~

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

El Gar posted:

Between this and that post about your dogs licking sweat off of you you are a pretty disgusting person and I honestly don't know what goes through your head when you post.

v:shobon:v Type words, push post button.

E: :lol: Okay I may actually keep that one for a while.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

Maybe you should switch to target bags?

No, no. I meant like, the little plastic bags you usually see at the dog park or whatever. Or the standard 'dog bag' you see at petsmart. Store plastic bags like target or walmart or whatever the hell work fine.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/dog-claims-world-record-largest-eyes-185400244.html

Isn't that like, bad, that the dog's eye popped out of his head? Like, that's not just a boston terrier thing, right? That's some terrible breeding showing?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

toby posted:

Do you have a difficult to control, super-strong robot hand? Or maybe like really floppy bones or something so you can't move steadily? Or maybe you live in a lilliputian dimension where all plastic bags are really comically tiny?

Not really. One of the other big dog owners will probably say the same thing. The little dog pick up bags are too small and it's always a mess. It's like using a plastic beach shovel to muck out a horse stall. Even Foxy's collie requires two of those little bags and that's a collie.

I kinda wish I had a super strong robot hand because it'd be cool, as long as I didn't have to lose my other hands/feet for it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Neena posted:

Why the hell would you keep using the little poop bags after the first time poo poo squished out of them and onto your hands

I usually don't. Occasionally I'm kinda stuck at a dog park or on a walk or whatever and that's all that's available. I flake once in a while about remembering a bag for their poo poo.

Garbage day: They play eye of the tiger on the radio when I manage to pick it all up and not end up killing the bag, using more than one bag and not get disgusting.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Captain Foxy posted:

I think that's a circumstance where I would just leave it.

Give me the god drat fine, I'm not picking that up.

It was like 30000Y in Okinawa (or that's what we were told) and I know it's high here, too. I have left it before but people get really pissy about it. I'd rather just have to run and go wash my hands and be grossed out than pay some really high fine or get bitched at.

Citizen Rat: You have touched off the litter debate again.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

I should hope not. That's like doggie performance art or something.

Edit: Fluffy bunnies, if I get you for PI Secret Santa I'm sending you this:

In all honesty, I'd just take along the poo poo scooper we have here at the house if like.. that wouldn't be really gross to cart back in the car or a pain to take on a walk constantly.

Don't they make little break down ones, now that I'm thinking about it?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

While recording and taking pictures, I walked outside because the dogs were having a stroke about things. What the gently caress, right?

No, really. What the gently caress?

That dog was just standing up on a 6 foot stone wall, with no real foot holds or anything and no way to get up on it. And it doesn't belong over there.

E: VVVV I suppose, but just walking outside and seeing a dog randomly on the drat wall was really weird.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 26, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Balen Birthday Photodump:

Hats=cake

He shoved the princess crown around a lot like he expected it to eat him.

Remember buddy, hats=cake.

The princess crown wasn't fabulous enough. I gave him a fairy wand. He spit it out. So I put it in his collar.

Then we re-masculated him. (Amy really wanted that hat)

We really re-masculated him.

More hats, more cake.

Kaydee surprisingly plotted my goddamned murder.

"Oh my god what are you doing can I do it too"

Yeah, I think you can. Just remember, hat=cake.

"Whyyyyy"

Balen was huffing and getting sick of pictures.

So everyone got cake.

Then I realized I had some left over glow bracelets hanging around. (it's all non-toxic, super safe stuff)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

Is there a good reason why you need to know that you should tell us? :D

Dark, because we had to take it from the hallway, but this is his fierce little noise....and his ears are deciding whether to stand or not :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHPbiYvVriw

:razz:

Just want you to know that Kaydee and Amy dove over (and onto) the computer to make sure the puppy was okay. Ires yelled at it. And Balen faintly lifted his head in the direction of the whimpering.

Amy was very concerned. She's yet to leave me the hell alone about it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You guys are having ant problems, but there's no ANTS! thread like the old BEES thread. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Captain Foxy posted:

Other deities/pantheons are underrepresented, underrated and too awesome. I love Scylla and Chary!

Balen and Amy are Hercules and Larentia. :colbert:

And Foxy, don't you put your gender terms and labels on this mythology!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

People should pick more descriptive names for their pets. Tummycuddles the cat, for example.

So what, I'd have Handsome the lazy gently caress, loving crazy bitch, Barky inu desu and Ruddertail wigglepuppy?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

Alrighty then.

Here is gratuitous battle footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdDkTSQVwzw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHgh6-KAWGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohQYDCHPtOo

He is such a bastard :3:

Anyone able to venture a guess on adult size yet? He's almost 9 weeks old.

Bigger than the house, smaller than a hotel. Rename dog Clifford.

Balen's only Hercules because I had no say in the matter, but uh, I really couldn't help but name Amy a matching name because.. well. Yeah. They're like salt and pepper shakers. :3: They just match up right.

:3: People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them Kaydee's full name. Ires's now too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Skizzles posted:

Someone shared this dog on Facebook... look at it. :stare:

She just got adopted. :3:

Her name is Borf and I won't hear anything else.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

notsoape posted:

:toot: Bulrush has had 7 pups! :neckbeard:

One is going to be named KHAAAAAAAAANNN isn't it?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It's a dog sport, not a person sport, you're basically throwing your dogs away because they aren't making you look good. Yeah I don't like it. I also don't like the idea of making poo poo so competitive in dog sports (like agility) that people lose the idea of having fun with their dog and are just out for ribbons and stupid poo poo that doesn't actually matter at all except for your dick waving rights.

Not you, your, notsoape. Them. Er. gently caress, you know what I mean.

I've seen some poo poo lately with agility specifically that's been making me grumpy that I can't imagine doing to Kaydee for some stupid rear end ribbon or trophy or whatever the hell just so it can hang on the wall or sit on the mantel.

E: Dog sports=/=working dog events.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 30, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Skizzles posted:

(just don't treat it like some disposable performance machine)

This is more or less my problem with it. I can't really see anyone getting rid of a second place dog that is bonded with them well (or however you wanna say that) as anything else than treating the dog that busts it's rear end for them, like trash.

And that poo poo just pisses me right off. It's just a stupid ribbon. Your dog should mean more to you than that. :argh:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

For all the Alsatian-owning goons, why do we not have a GSD thread? :mad:

Probably because there aren't any breed-specific threads except the corgi thread. :smith:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

There's a bully thread, a primitive thread, and general small dog + big dog thread though. Where's the general herder/spaniel/whatever threads? :qq:

VV I forgot there used to be a herder thread!

:colbert: You said GSD, not general threads.

I liked reading the herding thread. The big dog thread is the best thread ever.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

:colbert: Shut up. If it were up to me and I had all the dogs I'd have a thread for every single breed ever.

Yappy rat thread best thread!

WELL I POST THERE TOO SO.. so.. ...gently caress it, dog superiority! :hf:

I kind of hope we get a thread-for-every-breed-of-everything-ever kind of april fools day one year. PI would be 90 pages long.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cross posting from the giant dogs thread:

Yes, that's a twin mattress. The whole drat thing cost less than any decent dane-sized bed I could find on the market. I put some links up over in the big dog thread as far as the waterproof layer and the zip cover go, because I had a pain finding ones that would work and I figure I'd save someone else the trouble if there's someone else in need of a nice, soft bed for a big dumb dog.

I tried to move Balen off it about ten minutes ago. He is literally dead weight over there. He's clearly not dead because he's breathing and looking at me and such, but I don't think I could get him off that thing if there was a drat fire right now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bash Ironfist posted:

Balen is awesome. As an owner of a BT, I can't imagine owning a dog that I couldn't move. Sometimes I'll just pick up Feldman and smush my face against his face because I can.

Although I bet having Balen is like having a giant furry blanket. :3:

Pretty much. I can pick Balen up if there's an emergency or something (and have in the past when he's decided to be a giant loving rear end and not want to get in the drat car when it's time to go :argh: ) but I just prefer not to because god drat that is a lot of dog to lift and it's easy to hurt them if you grab wrong and if he squirms away and lands on a leg wrong, well, that's probably a broken bone and just. yeah.

It's easier to just kinda poke them incessantly until they get up and do what they're told than forcefully pick them up. And 99% of the time they do it first time I ask anyway. Just. Man. He really loves that bed.

:3: My boy really is awesome, though.

Not only is that puppy going to weigh 110 pounds, he's also going to shed like crazy AND he's going to have jowls so he drools all over everything after having a drink. And he'll live to be 35.

Fraction posted:

:psyduck:

The thought of having dogs so big that the best sized bed for them is a goddamn mattress is just mind boggling to me. Won't your house just look really odd with a mattress just parked in the room though?

Not really any more odd than having dog beds out here already. These are much higher than the old dog beds, but they're only about 20" longer. And once you have two enormous black dogs coming to say hello, I figure it'll make sense to anyone who will be seeing the beds. And there'll be two after the other cover finishes dyeing.

Ires hopped up on it a little bit ago to snuggle with him. So he got up, turned around and laid down in the middle like a giant rear end in a top hat so there's no room for anyone to come up and snuggle with him anymore. :3: I told him he was a cantankerous old man and he grumbled at me.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

Husker's neutrophils are finally above the threshhold for him to have another chemo treatment, but they're still lower than the vet would like. It's been six weeks since his first round.

My husband and I are discussing whether or not to continue the treatment after today's dose. There's no signs that the cancer spread beyond the amputated leg, and taking him in every week for bloodwork is starting to be problematic - both from a cost standpoint and because of work issues.

I think we're probably going to stop the chemo, and just be vigilant about any symptoms that might indicate that the cancer has recurred.

:(

If there's no signs of cancer, here's hoping that none pop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Asstro Van posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVW7Ckr4W3I

I'm fighting the urge to plaster this on the wall of every puppymill facebook page

The first part of the message is good, but uninformed idiots are going to think it's guaranteeing a shelter dog is going to be free of those ailments when that drat shelter dog might be a puppymill puppy too.

• Locked thread