Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Wonder Bra posted:

Corwin and his grandpappy

Is there a special kind of crazy that corgi people have that make them throw joy-fits over their dogs meeting their ancestry? Because I seem to have that too.

In February, Neige met her grandfather Truman at a corgi meetup, and I nearly died of excitement. It helps that seeing photos of Truman pushed me over into full Cardigan mode when we were still trying to decide whether to go with a Pem or a Cardi. But who cares you want pictures!

Neither of them were really all that excited about it, but I sure squee'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Plus_Infinity posted:

around here they do! though i just noticed that one isn't on there.

Also check your state laws, in WA if your dog attacks another dog, you're liable for any vet bills that might become incurred. I learned that when a pit mix smashed up Neige's face that one time, and it's good ammo in case you ever see that dumb owner again. You can let her know that if her dog attacks yours, she gets to pay upward of $1500 for x-rays, radiology, sedatives, antibiotics, etc. And that was JUST with a small nasal and upper jaw fracture. I can't imagine adding sutures to that bill...

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Dogs I want: just Neige.

Dogs I don't want: every other dog.

It's really that simple for me. I like other dogs and it is great to work and play with them, but the only dog I really want is this one right here in my lap right now. Maybe someday I wouldn't mind adding a second Cardigan so she has someone else to boss around, but I don't really need a second dog. As fun as that'd be, it'd split my attention from her, and that's just not necessary. If I want to hang out with a different breed or personality for a day, I can spend time with clients or go to the dog park or visit my friends who have dogs. And those dogs are great. But I don't really see any others that grab me as much as Cardigans do and even other Cardigans just aren't as special and awesome to me as Neige is, because they're not my dog. So yeah. That's the dog I want.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I dread the day I start asking you guys if I should get a mantle, a harlequin or a black dane. Because I'm ending up with three puppies, aren't I?

Actually, that's really a no-brainer. You go with the personality that suits you best.

I thought I absolutely had to have a blue merle or a standard black-and-white (with no tan), and to be quite honest, the photos of the puppy with the creepy white face threw me off a lot, but darn if she isn't just the perfect dog for us right now!

I wuv my puppums!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Citizen Rat posted:

dog hair sperg

But then you're El Gar and I doubt you actually care. Don't you have a cat to sperg about it?

I have no horse in this race, but I just want to point out how funny this is.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I would give it its own post to be safe.

Prob'ly won't, though.

Neige's toy snake has finally reached the point of replacement. She's had it since she was about 12 weeks old, and I got tired of stitching it back up every time she ripped a major hole in it. The first thing to go was the squeaker, which she punctured, then removed in a surgical manner. Next, the eyes, which I found under the couch the next time I vacuumed. I tied the head into a knot to keep the stuffing well-contained. Since then, more tiny rips have appeared, and Snakie had to go on the shelf until I could sit down with my upholstery thread and needle. But lo! what trip to Petsmart through yonder window breaks? A near-identical snake in the clearance bin!

Yes indeed that sure is my snake

A close-up on the carnage.

It has been tossed, and the cue "go get your snake" is still intact. A win-win! Oh wait this new one squeaks. Why did I want to replace the old one, again?

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

notsoape posted:

Question for ButWhatIf; what do you think about breeders of maltipoos and labradoodles and whatnot? Assuming they health test and all that good stuff.

I'm not a fan. There's plenty of work to be done on existing breeds, and since we've more or less proven that "to look pretty" is a poo poo reason for establishing a particular breed, there's just no real point. I understand the motivation behind the labradoodle, and I salute the original person involved in trying to create a hypoallergenic service dog, but since he's more or less given that up as a complete failure, I see no reason to continue. There are already lots of companion breeds (more now than ever), so why add more simply because "omg doodle-poo?" Also, I have yet to see a single breeder of any designer dog that actually health tests. Breeding for color, appearance, and overexaggerated traits got us into the mess a lot of breeds are currently in, and pretty much every small poodle mix (or pom mix, or chi mix) is bred solely for "look how cute it is."

That said, I'm going to clarify what I meant by my original post, since people seem curious. I'm straight-up against breeding dogs for heightened neophobia unless that dog is a working dog - not a performance or sport dog, but one who does an actual job for a person who owns a working farm or is a police officer or has a real requirement for protection from a dog. It is incredibly irresponsible to do so when probably ~99% of a litter will go to pet homes. It's why we have pits that are human aggressive - because someone thought "hey, this dog sure would be more awesome if it really didn't like people on its territory, let's add some mastiff genes or just select the ones that guard well." Even if you have a breed that has an original purpose of guarding, what is it guarding right now? Is Jane Suburban capable of handling that dog and keeping it from seeing Mr Mailman as a threat? Or is this another situation where we dog enthusiasts are saying to ourselves "Well no, the AVERAGE person shouldn't do that, but it's fine if WE do, because WE're educated about it."

I really don't care if people disagree, and I expect fanciers of Dobermans, Mastiffs, Kuvasz, Akitas, etc do disagree with me. That's awesome, because they're probably putting a good amount of thought into their opinion, and breeders and fanciers NEED to be putting thought into their breeding plans and practices. I just don't think I want to put ~original working purpose~ on a pedestal at the expense of that breed. If Jane Suburban can't handle that dog, and as working farms decline, so will that breed, and quite frankly, that's sad. It's either time to think about new avenues for those breeds (see: hog hunting rather than pit fighting for APBT's; treibbal or agility rather than herding for Shelties), or try to keep them static and hope that BSL doesn't come a-knockin'. Which, for Dobermans, Rottweilers, Chows, and many Molosser breeds, it already has. I would rather live in a world where Tosa Inus have a completely different desire to do another kind of work than a world where they don't exist at all.

I understand it is not that black and white - change or disappear - but decline is not only possible but probable. The Cleveland Bay horse wouldn't be listed as critically in danger of dying out by most rare breed survival groups if not for the decline of the carriage. When the need for a particular job disappears, the breed needs to repurpose itself, or it will disappear. And I also really want the need for a household guardian dog to disappear, to be honest. It'd be really really great to not ever worry that someone will break into your house, and I really really want the world to head in that direction. If it does (lol it won't), I want there to be another job for the personal protection breeds that doesn't require breeding for heightened neophobia.

This was a lot of :words: but I wasn't on the internet over the weekend to answer questions and sometimes I think about these things.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

El Gar posted:

Because they're just loving pets and the default state of some people here is to look at every other person on earth as inept bumbling de-facto animal abusers.

I don't go through life assuming everyone I meet couldn't run a marathon. That's kind of crazy.

Kind of that. It's kind of really not that hard to Do A Thing with a dog. It really isn't. Yeah, there's a buttload of science behind things like behavior and training, but you don't need to know all that to be an okay pet owner. There are very few things that Some People are equipped to do that Others aren't. Anyone can get into a dog sport. Anyone can read an article about nutrition. Anyone can compete in obedience. Hell, I did 4-H, I remember how easy it was to do pretty much anything with an animal. It really doesn't require some special amount of deep and insightful study, just a modicum of looking things up.

Added to which, it's incredibly easy to fall into a trap of self-aggrandizement. Because everyone here (for the most part) is very interested in something to do with pets, we do a lot of learning about it, and the temptation to feel superior is very strong. Any time anyone posts "I can't understand why people do XYZ with their pet," it kind of comes across as "I, in my superior knowledge, am no longer able to empathize with the majority of people because they just won't learn to the extent that I have." And that's just silly. And that's why I say it's dangerous to ever have the mindset that "we" are able to do something that "most people" can't.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

notsoape posted:

Again, I don't really care if you breed lab-tempered Dobes or Tosas or what have you - but don't kid yourself that you're preserving the breed itself. If you breed drive out of historically driven breeds (such as Tosas), then you *have* destroyed the breed, as it existed for decades/centuries/millenia or whatever. Don't dress it up as preservationist breeding; it's not. A 50 pound beagle with prick ears and a fluffy coat is no longer a beagle; an aesthetically 'typey' beagle who cannot follow scent or baroo is also no longer a beagle. You aren't ~saving the breed~ by breeding out drive, you're extinguishing it.

I see what you're getting at. I guess I don't really know what the solution is, then. I don't agree that we need household protection breeds (and to be honest, I'd rather that people didn't have dogs for that purpose at all), but I really would hate to see them vanish altogether. I'm the kind of loser who cries when I hear that the western Black Rhino is officially extinct, so this sort of thing gets to me. Maybe there isn't really a way to make my opinions mesh, but I'm getting used to that. My entire worldview is basically a contradiction in terms most of the time. ;)

On another note, I have a question for you! I saw all your horse and dog movement and structure books in the spergshelves thread, and it made me wonder: do all dogs have the double-suspension gallop, or is it just the sighthounds? Also, are the individual gaits called something different when dogs do them, or is it the standard horse gait names; walk (four individual footfalls), trot (two individual footfalls), canter/lope (three individual footfalls), and gallop (four individual footfalls)? DO dogs canter? It looks like Neige does, but her legs are so short it's hard to tell.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

notsoape posted:

I think some horse breeds are also known for pacing - I'm thinking Icelandic ponies and tolting?

http://vanat.cvm.umn.edu/gaits/walk.html <- a pretty cool website showing the various gaits!

Holy poo poo dogs pace? That's insane. And yeah, Standardbreds pace, and the rack, a high-stepping gait performed by what are known as "gaited" breeds like Tennessee Walkers and American Saddlebreds, is a gait like a trot, only each foot falls separately. It's crazy looking. I'm not exactly sure where tolting would be located on the spectrum, but it's pretty cute.

That website is awesome! I'm going to watch it for hours, I can tell.

EDIT: I'm now curious if being on the right lead is as important in dog movement as it is with horses. I remember when I was about 6 years old taking riding lessons, and getting a huge lecture about how important it was to get your pony on the right lead when you ask her to canter, but hell if I can remember why now.

ButWhatIf fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 19, 2012

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Captain Foxy posted:

Yeah I love that show, it's what I meant by the 'catlady version' of IMOTD. ;)

Jackson Galaxy looks like he probably owns a fursuit, though.

And cover up his cattoos? NEVER. He probably never wears anything with sleeves ever so he can constantly show off those fancy tats.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Abbeh posted:

Does anyone have any book recommendations with regards to introducing cats and/or dogs to a new baby? It's not going to happen for a while, but we'd like to be prepared :3:

I highly recommend the Dogs and Babies blog. It's a little outside of the norm, in that it doesn't talk as much about "introducing" as it does having an ongoing lifestyle of not magnetizing your kids to dogs. She goes over some really useful stuff about small children of all ages, including babies, and including them in activities with and around your dog without making the dog the main awesome thing. It's very worth a look.

Also, congrats in advance!

Adventure in the sandbox: I WANT TO SNUGGLE THAT DOG.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
This thread moves so friggin' quick; I get a new job and suddenly there's a backlog of over 200 posts I haven't read yet.

Neige LOVES my new job because it means she gets to have fun playtimes with new dogs like Wotan the Leonberger:

She was afraid of his massive feet at first, but now they are the bestest of friends. Yesterday she played with a 16 week old lab puppy named Finn and they wore each other completely out. She was asleep for the entire 2 hour (yep, 2 hours) commute back home. Today she gets to frolic with Wotan again, and also possibly a Golden Retriever pal named Galahad.

I'm liking the job a lot too. Clickin' at dogs for $$$!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Well that'll look terrific on my work browsing history, hmm.

In unrelated news, a local magazine is having us write an article about the whole Lennox debacle, so thank you for the good references earlier. I'm getting credited as a co-author for doing the research, so yay!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Skizzles posted:

That spotted tongue reminds me, could you guys throw out some common dog misconceptions? Behavior, appearance, history, anything. Common little things like "it has black on its tongue so it must be a Chow mix" and such. I'm compiling a list for a big myth-busting blog post, and I always forget some. Any helpful links would be super appreciated too. :shobon:

Here's one, courtesy of Dr. Jim Ha, CAAB. Did you know that there are only 9 breeds of dog that can read and understand social dominance cues? It's true. Those 9 breeds are also the ones that are genetically indistinguishable from grey wolves. No modern European breed is capable any longer of reading the behaviors that indicate social dominance, which also means that those dogs do not form social hierarchies. There are some incredibly rare exceptions among individual herding dogs, but maybe 1 trainer in thousands have seen this.

The 9 that do, in no particular order (and surprising literally no one):
Siberian Husky
Alaskan Malamute
Afghan Hound
Saluki
Chow Chow
Shar Pei
Basenji
Akita Inu
Shiba Inu

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Skizzles posted:

ButWhatIf, is that the myth or the truth, that only those 9 dogs can understand dominance cues? I had never heard of it!

That's the actual truth, and when I'm off work I'll hunt up the study Dr. Ha referenced. You can see the presentation of his lecture on a DVD published by TawzerDog, but I'm not sure what the availability of it is. I had the privilege of getting to view it as part of my job orientation, along with another Dr. Ha lecture on confrontational vs non-confrontational training adding to aggression in dogs. Gives me something to aspire to!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Neige is having an all-day stay at the vets' office because she spent most of last evening throwing up yellow foam, and the x-ray showed quite a bit of stool just hanging out in her colon, so they're making her drink barium and taking another picture at 4 to make sure there's not a terrible blockage. I'm trying not to have serious separation anxiety but it's not working so well and I have her squeaky snake on my lap and am going to be depressed and worried for the rest of the day.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Update: Neigé is picked up and her second set of x-rays came back clear! The bummer is that the "bland food" she has to eat for 48 hours is Purina stuff and after a day of scheduled feedings of it her nose hair-melting farts have returned. Joy. Back onto the Primal as soon as we can transition without making her digestion sad again.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Following in the vein of poo poo That Wasn't Needed Today:
I meant to post the story of a nightmare client evaluation we did a couple weeks ago. It was at the behest of the mother of a 20-something dude living at home with a dog-aggressive pit bull that had savaged someone's service dog, so needless to say we were willing to make this a very high priority. We get to the house, and as soon as I see the dog (I will call him Cooper), my heart sinks because he's wearing a prong collar. The kid who owns Cooper is mumbly and defensive throughout the conversation and spends most of the time trying to prove that he already knows how to handle his dog's issues (which calls into question why he hasn't). Then we get to the subject of the collar. We try to keep it simple. We don't work reactivity or aggression cases with dogs that continue to wear prongs.

Holy poo poo. It was like we suggested that they actively rape infants. "There is NO evidence that it's inhumane!" the kid repeats, while trying to demonstrate by putting the collar around his leg. Never mind that no one mentioned the word "inhumane," we were not allowed a word in edgewise at all.

They were so defensive for the rest of the eval that I'm not sure any of the suggestions we made were met with anything other than "yeah we tried that it didn't work" or "he already KNOWS he isn't supposed to do that." Eventually we just had to call it a night and offer a referral to a CAAB if they didn't feel it would work out - which they declined.

2 weeks later, and the review is now up on yelp, accusing us of stomping on Cooper's foot and making him limp all night (what?), not lavishing him with accolades because the dog sometimes sat on cue, and refusing to acknowledge "current training" methods (which is hilarious, since my boss is currently on track to do a PhD in behavior). Naturally we can't respond to the review with "This kid is a complete moron know-it-all dipshit who can eat a bag of dicks and here are the peer-reviewed studies to back it up," but I sure can bitch about it to you guys!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Patricia McConnell just linked this on her facebook page, but I thought I'd share it for those who don't follow her. It seems that the VA has decided it's not going to pay for veterans' PTSD and mental health dogs anymore. Here's a link describing the new ruling. It's pretty well bullshit, since you CAN document and track brain chemical changes when petting a dog (increased oxytocin, which, among other things, improves the immune system). I feel desperately sorry for the vets suffering PTSD without this option anymore, since the stigma on seeking mental health assistance is already so strong. Now they're left without one more lifeline. I read an article not more than 6 months ago about a veteran and his PTSD dog, and how he had gone so far as to put a gun up to his head to commit suicide and the dog forced it out of his hand. "Not enough evidence to support medical need," my rear end.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Welcome to Stupid and Infuriating Thing of the Day, here is your stupid and infuriating thing.

A dumbass 19 year old girl is being told by her boyfriend's mom that she's not allowed to have the dog she rescued spayed because the bitch is pregnant and the boyfriend's family "doesn't believe in abortion."
Link.

I hope that dog is seized from those morons and placed with someone who's capable of not anthropomorphizing and applying their stupid human moral system on an animal incapable of rational human thought.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Benny got bath:

Apologies for the cell phone quality. I can't believe the little guy is going home so soon - he and Neige have been such good chums these past three weeks. I think they'll miss each other, but she'll have so much more to think about once we really get the moving process underway (we bought a house!).

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
I have to keep a corgi on almost complete rest for a full week. Neige came back from a blisteringly-fast run limping on her right hind leg. Since it didn't seem to be healing after 48 hours, I took her in to see the vet today. Without doing an x-ray, the vet can't be certain, but she thought it might be a partial ACL tear. We're going to have her on an anti-inflammatory and a very mild sedative for a week and see if that helps, and if not, it'll be x-ray time and budget-for-a-possible-$2000-surgery time. Which is not very good timing, since we're about to close on a house with a 20% down payment in like 2 weeks. From what I've read, doing conservative management instead of surgery can increase odds of arthritis in the affected leg, so boooooo.

Either way, this might mean Neige doesn't do agility in the future, and while her health and not being in pain is paramount, I'm a little sad about this development. I hate to see her hopping around, not wanting to put weight on her leg. Luckily, Benny went home Saturday, so she won't be bugged by any other dogs demanding to play.

notsoape, did you pass the stifle injury pain curse along or something?

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

paisleyfox posted:

Random article I saw being shared around the faceyspaces.

Dog Whispering in the 21st Century

I just want to brag like crazy: I work for this author and his training company. Prescott is going to be a force to be reckoned with once he's completed his CAAB work.

Thanks for all the advice and well-wishes for the Neige-beast. She's not enjoying the sedative (to take her energy level down a notch or two) or the enforced rest. If the week of pills and rest don't help, I guess I'll be looking around for a good and affordable orthopedist to get some professional advice as well, so if anyone knows one in the Seattle area, send me a PM. From what I've read, I'll probably want to go with extracapsular repair. I want to avoid TPLO if I possibly can, since it's so intensive and financially prohibitive. Meanwhile, my poor doggy's all strung out and glazed and just looks...generally unhappy.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

PeaBeeJay posted:

Are the sedatives at least keeping her ... uh, sedate? My dog had surgery to repair his ACL in July and the painkillers he was on immediately afterward were supposed to have a sedative effect, but they did the opposite and made him manic. He was on a bad drug trip. :catdrugs:

Yeah, in fact she just looks pretty stoned most of the time. Her response time is super slow, which means I can't really keep her occupied by teaching her new things since that feels kind of mean. "Hey dog, learn this thing while you're out of it and drooling on yourself." I kept her with me for most of my appointments yesterday and she slept in the car a lot when she wasn't trying to clamber over the seats to see out. I'm also letting her tear apart a lot of empty cardboard paper towel tube dealies.

Duuuuuuuude...

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

PeaBeeJay posted:

Poor girl. But it sounds like she's doing well.

This was my drugged out dog.

Awww, poor guy. Looks like you opted for TPLO? How much did that end up setting you back financially? And what was recovery like? Was physiotherapy intense?

I'd prefer to avoid TPLO since she's only 23-25 lbs, but better to get an idea and be prepared!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Oh hey did someone mention Michael Vick? Cause the humane society let him have a new dog.

I hate this stupid world.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

ButWhatIf posted:

Oh hey did someone mention Michael Vick? Cause the humane society let him have a new dog.

I hate this stupid world.

Seriously. This doesn't deserve to get buried at the bottom of a page. Link here.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
I seriously hate working with 'doodles, especially the ones from ~Australian breeders~. They almost always have hyperactivity and/or separation anxiety issues but are completely non-food motivated. You have to have, like, hot dogs wrapped in cheese and stuffed with bacon or they just won't give even the slightest poo poo. And of course when people learn I'm a dog trainer, the first question they ask is "what's the hardest dog to work with, I bet it's PIT BULLS isn't it?" and are always shocked and for some reason offended when I say "any kind of 'doodle." Like I just completely tried to overhaul their entire upper-middle-class way of thinking or something.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

notsoape posted:

omg

I mean to fully understand the :allears:ness of this you kind of have to know who Alan Titchmarsh is, but generally - scorn our anti-docking, outdoor-cat havin' island all you want, but we're reeeally good on stuff like this.

It actually reminds me of the time Matt Baker asked David Cameron 'How do you sleep at night?' :3: :3: :3:

Edit: He even goes into the debate about "pack"/dominance theory, there really aren't enough :3:s or :allears:s in the world. :3:.

This is hilarious. My boss (the guy who wrote the "Dog Whispering in the 21st Century" article) freeze-framed on the very minute Alan tells him that his methods are extremely controversial, then captioned it:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

SuperTwo posted:

That's loving fantastic. Can I post that on facebook? I have many dog geek friends who will enjoy that and the odd Dog Whisperer apologist that will flip their poo poo over it in a hilarious manner.

Definitely. He put it on facebook initially (if you want to give credit to Prescott Breeden, you can, but don't worry about it too much) to be shared!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Corgis are super low-energy, the perfect dog for anime nerds because OMG EIN YOU GUYS!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

notsoape posted:

What was everyone's favourite PI era

I think mine was 06-08, I kinda miss all the screeds about ~bybs~ and ~~norwegian forest cats~~ and ~~~afghan hounds~~~ not gonna lie :smith:

When was the year when Jennifer from that terrible designer dog byb register and pretend she was her own satisfied customer? Because that is just about my favorite thing I have ever participated in on any forum, ever.

Also 2009 was the year that got me to register, really.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Neige is still limping, so yesterday she went in for an x-ray. And since she's queen of the squirmers, they had to sedate her with Domitor before they could do the x-ray. And since she's generally an active sort of dog, when she's coming out of sedation she is a complete zombie dog. Last night she was the biggest space cadet I have ever seen. I gave her a kong bone stuffed with her joint supplement treats and frozen peanut butter, and it took her about 5 minutes just holding it in her mouth and drooling before she seemed to realize that she should chew on it and eat the treats. Meanwhile, on a day when I'm already stressed to the gills about the stupid ~*~election~*~ I have to wait to hear back from the specialists the vets sent the radiographs out to. With Murphy's Law being what it is, I am willing to bet cash money they'll call me back right in the middle of a session with my client today.

Anyway, have a picture of the beast in her favorite spot in Our New House.

I have told her that if she gets her head stuck and forces me to saw one of my brand new banister railings, I'll boot her right down the steps. When dog ownership responsibility clashes with home ownership responsibility, no one wins.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Sometimes just scrolling through this thread without looking very closely is the funniest possible activity...

I needed that laugh! (Still waiting to hear about the x-rays. Stress gut lessened post-election, but still feeling out of sorts until I know what's causing my puppy's limping.)

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Soonmot posted:

I'm still four days behind on this thread and need to get ready for work in 30 minutes, so forgive me if this has been resolved.

I graduated from ABC a few months ago and have been training at Petco since April. All in all, I'm satisfied with the education i received, but there is still A LOT to learn.

The internet based portion of the class is really easy. Your practice exam is the exact same as the real test. Do the reading, do the practice test and unless you're a total moron you will pass.

Practical portion can be hit or miss depending on your mentor. Mine was great, my mentor was really open to questions and made sure I knew what I was doing. We had another student join us after my first 6 weeks of mentorship who said her old mentor was horrible.

Basically, you get what you pay for. I have a solid base in +P basic obedience, but there's is so much more I need to learn and certify in before I can start looking at real jobs outside my suburban Petco. ABC also has a short chapter on business skills and I think some of their CE class cover more business related stuff if you're interested in that route.

I haven't gone for the ccpdt yet, so I'll be interested in seeing if anyone has responded to that question.

I'm going to take a completely different route here and say that I don't much care about receiving a CPDT-KA, a CTC, a CTP, or any of the training certs that are offered. As good as they are, I have my sights set on an ACAAB, then a CAAB. Let me 'splain why. Training is just a drop in the bucket when it comes to studying animal behavior. Knowing why an animal Does a Thing requires understanding the physiology and biological mechanisms, the evolution of Canis lupus familiaris, the development from embryo to adult of the species, and THEN be able to apply that knowledge. I would demand my mechanic understand how my car is put together to tell me why it rattles; I want as a trainer and behaviorist to have all of the same knowledge at my disposal. A lot of trainers don't believe you need to know the exact neurochemistry at play in aggression in order to treat it. I disagree. Every case is an individual, who is part of a breed, which is part of a species. I need to know all of it, and if that means investing into a Ph.D. in ethology, so be it.

Disclaimer: This is only an opinion and I do not mean to suggest that any trainer without a graduate degree in behavior and ethology is a bad trainer, just that I want to hold myself to a higher standard and hope to achieve as much someday.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Soonmot posted:

The only problem with this is that I'm not going to find a program I can afford working 30 hours a week at Petco. I'm basically relegated to reading what I can.

Yeah, this pretty much. We're not in a place yet financially where it's really feasible yet (just bought that drat house), plus I have a lot of courses I'll have to take/re-take, so it's going to take a good decade+ before I get there. I just, y'know, really really reeeeally want to get there. Meanwhile, I'm focusing on absorbing as much as I can from my mentors and honing technique.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Fraction posted:

~Johnson bulldog puppy*~

Well this is a new one. What makes a bulldog Johnson?

insert penis joke here

insert joke about instertion here

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Over the weekend, my work held a major food drive for the Seattle Humane Society in which we offered a free 15-min photo shoot and 5"x7" in exchange for a 30 lb bag of quality dog food. We ended up photographing about 50 dogs and bringing in 1200 lbs of food for the shelter, so that was awesome. Also, Neige got to be a test subject while the strobe flashes and camera were being set up and tested out!

The manic expression is due to the small cubes of cheese we used to get the dogs to focus. She sure looks...focused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
I am suffering the worst case of puppy fever right now. I made the mistake of going to the CWCCA website just to browse the breeder directory and look at cute pics, but apparently I'm like ovulating or something because I kept thinking how great it would be for Neigé to have a little brother or sister to play with and what if it were a mismark too and omg I must have all the predominating white-headed cardigans EVER.

No word yet when the rational part (the brain that remembers how much puppies suck) will surface. I mean really though, look at this:

• Locked thread