Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I'll start this off by saying that I'm NOT getting a puppy.

But egad, I want one.

I've always admired this Border Collie:

He's absolutely gorgeous, and he's got a rock solid temperament and runs 3.8 in flyball.

He was bred to a mini Aussie - another very accomplished flyball/agility dog. And I've been offered (harassed! coerced!) one of the pups.

They're two weeks old, and look something like this:

It's just about exactly what I've been wanting in my next pup, but at the wrong time. I'm getting married soon, my fiance isn't interested in adding another dog, and I'm too busy to concentrate on raising a pup correctly. But oh my god, I want one so badly.

HNNGPUPPIES!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Fraction posted:

get a puppy

Out of curiousity, will your fiance ever be interested in a third dog? Especially another crazy high maintenance dog?

Yeah, that's the tough part. He's not interested, but I have a feeling that he may change his mind once we're a bit more settled and I convince him that the lion's share of the care will fall to me. Maybe. We'll have to see.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I think 2 is a good number.

But quite honestly, we all know that Chihuahuas don't count.

So, 2 real dogs, plus Mega. Maybe.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Apidae posted:

I'm kind of surprised Standard Poodle + [herding breed] hasn't become some stupid craze. German Shoodles, anyone?

Aussiedoodles are totally a thing.

Breeds I would love to have: Aussies, Border Collies, Belgian Shepherds (Malis, Groens and Tervs).

Maybes: Duck Toller, Pyrenean Shepherd, and I'm developing a real soft spot for working Spaniels.

Nevereverevers: Toy breeds, brachy breeds, hounds, mastiffs, giant breeds.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

"Phoque"

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

dog days are over posted:

;_; I'm biased of course but she's so beautiful

She's one good looking dog. Nice work!

notsoape posted:

On the other hand, if you're committed to a particular sport it makes sense that you wouldn't want to keep a third wheel hanging around - especially if the sport/hobby takes up most of your free time, and a non-competitive dog would end up being comparatively neglected. I guess I can see both sides, but I'm wondering how PI feels about it?

I might end up getting a puppy from more specific sport lines in a few years time. I can totally see why people would get a dog, get bitten by the sport bug, and then want their next one to be naturally better suited to it. As long as your "starter dog" is still well taken care of and loving life, I see no problem with it.

I've not seen many agility people getting rid of past dogs to make room for new ones. Competitors have enormously strong bonds with their dogs, and while they may look to upgrade from time to time, they don't dispose of their past dogs. It's more a practice I see with breeders. I've never seen a sport person rehome a dog. Instead, they seem to collect dogs as the years go by. But good care is taken of all of them, and even the old dogs get to run flyball and agility from time to time.

I gotta say though, my non-sport dog is comparatively neglected. She doesn't get the training time my other dog gets, or the long off-leash runs, or the fun weekends out. She's just so low key though, she seems happy just to lounge, and this morning when I took her out for a jog with the rest of us she was not a happy camper. She doesn't have the energy to keep up.

a life less fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 30, 2012

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I always think this dog looks like Shadow:

He's a rescue mutt owned by a friend of mine - they come out to do the same shows I do with Cohen. His frame, maybe not as similar to Shadow, but his face...

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

It looks A LOT like another dog I know.

Not sure what she is - random herder mutt.

The split face is a relatively common genetic expression of some... pattern or other. Again, it's not uncommon in border collies. Very good looking dog!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Fraction posted:

I'm interested.

You should make a spergy rabbit-genetics thread! I find genetic stuff quite interesting to think about/work out.

She did, for anyone who has archives. It was cool while it lasted!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Her shoulder looks pretty upright, and my eye has always wandered to the point where her shoulder/chest/neck meet. Is there something funky in there?

The dip before the roach of the back might not be ideal either. sighthounds :iiam:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

The prick ears and upright tail can set a lot of dogs off.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

American Bulldog or English Bulldog?

American Bulldogs are pretty functional at least but I'm not familiar with their health problems. They're kind of the last dog I think of when I hear "genetic mess" though.

Ambullys are traditionally British Bulldog/Pit crosses (with Mastiff, and other bully types of blood thrown in). They're the ultra tuff low-ridin' bully type dogs people traditionally think of when you say "pit bull".

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Ty Ty has googly eyes.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Levitate posted:

The real crime is how overused that loving emote is in PI and how loving annoying it is

It's a shame it's so accurate.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Rixatrix posted:

It is. Being on the right lead and lead changes come up a lot in agility.

I've never really been told about lead changes in agility, but I heard someone mention it at a recent fun match. Mind giving a brief crash course about it, and training for agility?

Also, Cohen earned her ADC - that's her starter agility title. I'm very proud!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Confo/structure question: What up with dogs who sit like that?

Is it just comfortable? Or does it signal some sort of structural weakness in the hips/back end?

Also, what about dogs who shift onto one hip while sitting?

Cohen's always nice and symmetrical, and I get worried when I see dogs shifting over onto a side after a second or two of sitting normally.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I normally see happy go lucky Goldens/Labs shift over onto one hip, or sit like doofuses. I tend to assume every Golden I see has knees/hips ready to pop right out of their sockets, so I figured it had something to do with that.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Captain Foxy posted:

Someone put this Pom's paw in a socket:

UNDERCOAT! FOREVER UNDERCOAT! Guard hairs? What are guard hairs?

Shaved Pom? Looks terribad!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I was doing a dog performance event thinger a few days ago, and afterwards we have a "Pat 'n Chat" with the performing dogs. I had a woman chastise my dog (or, more accurately me, while "speaking" to my dog) for Cohen not paying strangers enough attention to her & her kids and being too focused on me. All dogs simply must turn themselves inside out with happiness while greeted by strangers, clearly.

Cohen is happy to lay there and let kids pat her, and is happier still to do her tricks for them to get some food from me, but she pretty much has zero interest in actually interacting with other people.

Basically, it's just another example of the skewed expectations people have of dogs.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Fraction posted:

I see aussie/husky - husky for those bright blue eyes. I don't know if Aussies can or tend to have blue eyes like that?

Aussies are the Impressionist paintings of the dog world.

The "Goberian" looks just like a typical Aussie pup to me.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

notsoape posted:

Been speaking to some running dog experts on an ~internet forum~, they say from the symptoms it sounds like she'll need at least some pretty heavy bed rest (we're talking months with NO running or jumping whatsoever), and at worst she may never be able to run hard (i.e; rabbiting) again.

I'm taking her to the greyhound vet on Monday, so I'm trying not to let myself get too upset until I've heard from them, but drat; I could cry. We've both worked so hard this last year, and she was showing so much promise. I've got rabbiting days lined up, I was supposed to be getting my loving ferret in the next couple of weeks, August was supposed to be conditioning month (lol I bought a £600 bike so we could go offroad; so much for that). Like I say, there's two ways I'm upset - one, my little dog who is my best buddy is uncomfortable and in pain sometimes, and she probably won't be able to run for a long time even though running is one of her favourite things in the whole world and she is so happy when she's finished. Then, two, there's the sport(s) I've been waiting so long to get into, and which she was showing so much promise for - now it looks like I probably won't get a chance to go out with her at all this season, or maybe ever.

Like maybe it's dumb to be on the verge of tears because of this, and I know these things happen, but goddamn I'm so gutted. We'll see what the greyhound vet says, but I am not hopeful.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself -- take it all one appointment at a time. It's pretty easy to catastrophize in these situations (we crazy dogladies love our dogs) but it won't help you if you're prematurely miserable. Keep her on bed rest and give her plenty to do to occupy herself, get her healed up. If she never rabbits then of course it's (very) disappointing, but I have no doubt that she'll live a long and happy life regardless of whether she becomes a sport dog or not. I know that that kind of goes without saying, and that you've worked so hard to get to this point, and can understand your sadness and frustration. Just, whatever happens, she'll be a happy dog, and you'll be a good owner.

Here are my two monsters:

Never in a million years would I expect to have ever been comfortable enough keeping them in an ex-pen together, but, whelp. The two are doing so well together - they don't play, or really interact, but they ignore each other well and now don't mind so much if they're touching each other. It's just about the best scenario I could ask for.

I bring Megatron out to the sporting/performance events I bring Cohen do, and she's doing marvelously. She doesn't bark at ALL, she's crawling all over people to eat their delicious foodstuffs... She's come a long way.

Cohen was a good dog today, runnin' agility, gettin' Qs, bein' Cohen.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Politely requesting the name of the forum be changed to something less inappropriate to have listed in my work browsing history.

- a l l

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

I always wondered, if a wrinkle-faced dog suffered chronic issues like yeast infections, would it be totally outside the realm of normal treatment to have a surgeon do a little nip and tuck? I know there are surgical procedures for tightening up droopy eyelids, I can't imagine it's all that different to remove some excess face-flap.

I walked past an English bulldog once in DC who had really dramatic face wrinkles, and he smelled like a condemned bakery :gonk:

I had a Pug in one of my agility classes who, fantastically, ran quickly and didn't wheeze or snort when it moved. Turns out the dog had had surgery when it was younger to remove excess skin from its throat and have its nares widened. It was almost functional. It still had no nose.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Lookit that topline...

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Re: the earlier conversation about CGC certification

Cohen has her CGN certification (the Canadian CGC equivalent), and the test was a bit of a joke. I kept hearing stories of super strict, fail-if-you-make-one-wrong-move tests, and then when I got there it was just a joke. We did it at a local public dog building, so the evaluator was letting people who walked in off the street who had no idea what CGN was participate if they tossed in their $5. Most of the off the street dogs did not pass. Cohen did fine, even though she was a bit more out of control than usual (she was 8 months old at the time, and had puppybrain).

I feel like the greeting a strange dog portion should be done by a very benign, passive dog - not one who ever strains to go up to say hi to passing dogs. It would be completely inappropriate to have to sit there and let a strange dog invade your dog's personal space while you simply had to sit back and watch.

If I remember correctly, when I did it that portion of the test was rolled into walking through a public area with the other dogs who were taking the test - it was nothing formal.

Basically, there's way way way too much leeway afforded CGC/CGN evaluators these days. Maybe they'll make them more strict now that the AKC will be recognizing the certification as an actual title now. I would hope and expect for the greeting strange dogs portion to be respectful and well controlled, but... there are no guarantees.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

But then his final structure would be the artificial result of neutering and not his actual genetically defined structure so how would i be able to accurately assess my dog if his growth was affected by early neutering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THESE THINGS ARE VERY IMPORTANT

Your dog has a fat neck. Fattie.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

ButWhatIf posted:

Here's one, courtesy of Dr. Jim Ha, CAAB. Did you know that there are only 9 breeds of dog that can read and understand social dominance cues? It's true. Those 9 breeds are also the ones that are genetically indistinguishable from grey wolves. No modern European breed is capable any longer of reading the behaviors that indicate social dominance, which also means that those dogs do not form social hierarchies. There are some incredibly rare exceptions among individual herding dogs, but maybe 1 trainer in thousands have seen this.

The 9 that do, in no particular order (and surprising literally no one):
Siberian Husky
Alaskan Malamute
Afghan Hound
Saluki
Chow Chow
Shar Pei
Basenji
Akita Inu
Shiba Inu

I'd like to read this study, if you have a link/article handy. I remember hearing that a great deal of the "language" of dominance/submission has disappeared from a number of dogs' repertoires, but I feel like I've seen a wide variety of appeasement type signals coming from Cohen in dog social situations (more than the article claimed existed in most dogs). Thus far I've just taken it with a grain of salt.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

Oh god I remember when Super said her parents were toying with the idea but didn't think they'd do it until their neglected deformed chiahuahua died. :(

RIP, fatty.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Amberlyn posted:

I wonder...and I know this isn't going to happen with that chi, but it made me think...in hypothetical terms, is it even possible to straighten a dog out, even at that age, who's been treated the way Super's Dad's dog has been treated? Is it even possible to re-wire the dog's brain so that it can ultimately lead a semi-normal existence for whatever's left of its life?

Sure it is. I know you frequent the Yappy Rat thread, so you may have seen Megatron the Chihuahua's weight loss photos. Her disposition has done a 180 too. She's by no means perfect, but she'll now walk on a leash (even when it's cold and/or damp outside), no longer shits/pisses in the house, barks a tenth of how much she barked before, has better impulse control and has generally learned how to cope with the world. Dogs react so strongly to the environment around them, so a change of scenery really can make a different dog (for better, and of course for worse).

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, I was going to ask that too - how would you introduce them?

I think my preferred method for introductions is posted in the OP of the Puppy Thread. The basic gist of it is that you should keep the dogs ENTIRELY SEPARATE via baby gates, x-pens and crates until the dogs basically no longer are interested in each other. The whole process will take a month or so. For the first week you would want a double barrier between the two dogs at all times. Progressing to the next step is contingent on the dogs being 100% okay with the one previous.

It's boring, it's a pain in the rear end, and it's frustrating for us people but it's a good way to show the dogs that the other dog is no big deal and nothing to be particularly interested in. All the while you're conditioning each dog to associate the other's presence with good stuff.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Rixatrix posted:

I'd prefer a male since Rho is unneutered and having a bitch around would be a pain in the rear end. I've kind of gotten used to having male dogs and I can deal with their quirks even if they're unneutered. Since there were 5 males and 3 females born, I'm likely to get my wish, yay! Color I don't care about and all the pups in this litter are tricolor anyway, but I'd really REALLY prefer a smooth coat. I don't mind vacuuming hair off my floor but don't like long haired dogs. The father of the litter is smooth so at least half of the pups should be smooth coated as well.

As for temperament and other qualities, I'm looking for a bold pup who looks for human contact and is readily interested in play (i.e. tugging). I'd like him to be comfortable on different surfaces and textures and absolutely not show signs of sound sensitivity (though this often comes up when a dog is older, unfortunately). Sometimes you can tell from young puppies which ones "move well" so I'll be looking out for that, too. Rho for example was never at that clumsy puppy stage and his motor skills were more advanced than his siblings' all through his puppyhood.

Intensity and drive I'm sure I'll be getting enough of no matter which pup I choose. I'm not looking for one of those extremely driven purpose-bred sports/agility BCs and the litter I'm looking at is out of working lines. The mother works as a sheep dog on a farm and the father does hobby herding (and agility and obedience).

Now I just need to wait two months :ohdear:

How exciting for you! Huge congrats! The waiting is the toughest part. If I were you, I would have zero patience to get that dog all growed up and ready to compete. That's the reason (well, one of them) that I'm not going to do a puppy any time soon - I just don't have the patience and time to go through all the foundation work again.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Sometimes dogs need to learn to suck it the gently caress up, however. "Dog doesn't walk on sand/wet pavement/grass etc" doesn't fly with me. Dog will learn to walk on it mighty quick because I don't entertain their neuroses.

:colbert:

I'm such a hard rear end.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Can dogs' nails change colour over the course of their lives?

Cohen always had all white nails. I noticed that one of them was darker, but for the longest time I just assumed it was some dirt or something that was stuck there. Then I took a closer look and the entire nail has gone black.

There doesn't seem to be any pain or discomfort. Cohen is crazy, so I guess there's a chance that she hit it or something. But it doesn't look that way to me.

Thoughts?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Cohen turns 3 in a couple of weeks, so I wanted to take a few photos to compare her over the years.

Here are a few photos from today, and years past.

3 yrs old

2 yrs old

1 yr old

Have I mentioned how much I suck at stacking dogs?

And just for funzies, here's a photo of her as a 2 month old floordog.

My little puppy is all growed up! I don't think she'll be doing much more filling out at this point.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

My fiancé came with the Chihuahua. I get a few surprised expressions when I explain to people that, no, the tiny dog was not my idea -- my dog is the crazy fucker barking its head off and running in circles. Most people don't have much trouble understanding that Cohen is my dog, but they're surprised to see the gruff, stubbly man walking tinydog.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Holy crap, Major is ridiculous.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Megatron is sick today. A few days ago she had some blood in her (very very loose) stool and she declined food. Part way through the day she perked back up and clearly felt better. This morning she again declined food and seemed to be feeling under the weather despite her poop being completely normal.

I've been a bit worried about her teeth lately (she's 7, tiny, and has never had a cleaning or a brushing) and now I'm a bit worried that there's something more ominous going on. If this keeps up it's vet time for tinydog.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I've already had to explain what Penis Land is to my office manager. That was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I have a couple photos from recent performance thingers I've been doing with Cohen (and the Chihuahua), and I decided that instead of doing work I'd just post them instead. So here ya go. Not the best quality, but I like 'em.

Cohen can hold a "sit pretty" for, like, ever.

Out of focus, happy dog running out of a tunnel.

Dumb dog doesn't know how to catch a dumb frisbee.

This one is dark, but I like it. She's jumping pretty high for a dog her size. She didn't knock a bar.

• Locked thread