Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Everyone was covered in excrement all day every day until 1997 when hygiene was invented.

I mean, have you seen footage of New York before 1990's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

It won't load so no clue what it's actually about

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Koramei posted:

Well, it probably has a ritual or religious purpose

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fish of hemp posted:

I mean, have you seen footage of New York before 1990's?

I do remember reading that banana peels became a slapstick staple because you couldn't show horse poo poo on screen.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

What justifications are there for suggesting that the concept of Rome extends beyond the Republican city-state's ideals and existence, and that the Roman Empire was actually Roman in any sense of the word?

I can sort of see it in the sense of "this empire's seat of power is that city-state", but I'm hesitant to accept that this is sufficient. Can we even consider Republican Rome within the same continuum as its Caesar and post-Caesar history? At which point do we draw the line? Is Byzantium Roman? Are the continental "bloodline" successors Roman? Is modern Italy Roman? Is Britain Roman? Is America Roman? Are the Qing Roman?

If we consider the Roman empire to be "not-Roman", we can very quickly determine that the answer to all of these questions would be "no." while also dutifully distancing ourselves from that tyrant-charlatan J*lius and his (as I believe should be properly named) Mediterranean Kingdom.

So then this immediately brings to mind the inverse question, tying into the opener of this post: what is potentially gained by granting the Roman Empire the title of "Roman", other than satisfying the claim to some abstract prestigious identity (which is wholly undeserved, no matter how much political and familial maneuvering ancient politicians could muster.) It seems to me the only outcome of such an allowance is to glorify a madman and produce a greater degree of uncertainty.

Dont Touch ME fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 22, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Never don't plug this game.

My most successful run was completing my original tour, reenlisting, and dying immediately.

A very important thing to remember is that in the battles your job is not to kill the enemy. Your job is to survive until you get rotated back out of the front line. Any damage you do is strictly a bonus.
There are some duels where you do have to kill your opponent, but you can usually avoid them. And focusing on survival is still a good tactic even then. You have a scutum, loving use it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
To the extent that empire is defined as a homeland extracting wealth from conquered provinces, Rome went from a Roman empire, to a Latin empire, to an Italian empire, to not an empire over the course of its long existence

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 22, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The mistake is there is no thing in the world that is “Roman empire”. It’s a phrase used in a language game we have about states and politics . There is no definite meaning

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

To the extent that empire is defined as a homeland extracting resources from conquered provinces, Rome went from a Roman empire, to a Latin empire, to an Italian empire, to not an empire over the course of its long existence

It's called the Roman Empire because they were roamin' all over the Mediterranean.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

cheetah7071 posted:

To the extent that empire is defined as a homeland extracting wealth from conquered provinces, Rome went from a Roman empire, to a Latin empire, to an Italian empire, to not an empire over the course of its long existence

Then back to an Empire from Constantinople :smuggo:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The "Roman Empire" refers to a continuous geopolitical entity that had it's origins in the vassalage system administered by the city state of Rome. It is called such because for the majority of its history the city of Rome or those who held an ethnic/ancestral/governmental tie to it ran it's administration for the benefit of the city and the aforementioned ethnic/ancestral/governmental system. Controversy arises from disagreement over which historical event caused sufficient administrative, territorial, and cultural disruption of continuity to mark the end of the geopolitical entity known as the "Roman Empire". Popular events include: The dethroning of Romulus Augustulus, The Arab Conquests of the late 600's C.E., The 4th Crusades sack of the city of Constantinople, The Ottoman Conquest of Constantinople, or the view that there were in fact two separate geopolitical entities, a Principate and a Dominate, that nevertheless maintained enough cultural and territorial similarity as to both at least being part of a single "Roman" paradigm of the Mediterranean and surrounding areas.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Y'know if we use that definition how do we reconcile that with Nomadic groups that founded empires then hosed off from the steppes.

Koramei posted:

I saw the first part and wondered why you were questioning an article about the Assyrians, then I saw silla, and wondered what the gently caress silla has to do with the Assyrians

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the secret is that history is written in the future from the events it covers, so there's sort of a reverse-perspective. If you happen to be in a society that traces back its history through western Europe, then probably you'll trace back to the monarchies that all saw themselves in terms of being successors to the big ol' honking empire, and the little republic city-state that used to manage the empire using local city politics instead of fiat from an emperor who may not even live in the city is much less relevant.

Although if philosophically you've got some reason to hold a lot of importance on a sort of constitutional government with group deliberation, voting, elected officials, and some kind of conceit of anti-monarchism, the city-state and its particulars are much, much more relevant. But I don't think there was much incorporation of the provinces outside of Italy into the Republican structures of government, so pragmatically most of Europe saw little practical difference between the rule of a distant Emperor and the rule of the distant Senate.

But I don't think anybody cares about the monarchy that came before the republic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The roman's cared enough that they never actually declared a monarchy, even if it effectively became one. Although the empire under Augustus was more similar to what came before than the latter empire, there's almost no functional difference between what Sulla or Caesar did than him except Augustus made it stick.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

The roman's cared enough that they never actually declared a monarchy, even if it effectively became one. Although the empire under Augustus was more similar to what came before than the latter empire, there's almost no functional difference between what Sulla or Caesar did than him except Augustus made it stick.

yes, correct, and neither of them declared a monarchy or really attempted to institute one. neither did augustus. the sharp divide between republic and empire is artificial; the state remained mostly the same as ever, just with an extra super-office of emperor grafted to the top of the bureaucracy. sometimes it was filled due to heredity, sometimes by the will of the senate (though this rarely ended well), and other times through force of arms. but ultimately, it's just an office that accommodates the top executive role that sulla, marius, caesar, and augustus carved into the roman constitution; the difference is that you don't (always) have to invade italy to get the position.

the empire was understood as a monarchy for a long time, by people who lived under monarchies and monarchs who had an interest in portraying the romans as monarchists who cast aside their weak, stupid republic. but that's not really true when you dig into the details.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 22, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

Y'know if we use that definition how do we reconcile that with Nomadic groups that founded empires then hosed off from the steppes.

You don't, probably

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gaius Marius posted:

It's funny because this has come up once or twice when I've had conversations about Gondor in the Lord of the Rings book. 'How come the Stewards didn't just declare themselves kings?' WELL...

Also, they're all Roman.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the only reason there even is a "who were the Romans and when did Rome stop being Rome" debate is because a bunch of western Europeans really wanted to make themselves the true heirs to Rome's legacy, rather than those obviously and continuously Roman guys in Constantinople. It's a stupid debate.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Heck even Augustus' Principate and Diocletian's Dominate still contains granularity in the transition towards centralization.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the only reason there even is a "who were the Romans and when did Rome stop being Rome" debate is because a bunch of western Europeans really wanted to make themselves the true heirs to Rome's legacy, rather than those obviously and continuously Roman guys in Constantinople. It's a stupid debate.

I don't blame them if I had a choice between a state where the head had to beg a bunch of dipshit nobles for troops versus having an entire standing army to gently caress up my many enemies I'd pick the latter. Bam modern state.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Dont Touch ME posted:

What justifications are there for suggesting that the concept of Rome extends beyond the Republican city-state's ideals and existence, and that the Roman Empire was actually Roman in any sense of the word?

I can sort of see it in the sense of "this empire's seat of power is that city-state", but I'm hesitant to accept that this is sufficient. Can we even consider Republican Rome within the same continuum as its Caesar and post-Caesar history? At which point do we draw the line? Is Byzantium Roman? Are the continental "bloodline" successors Roman? Is modern Italy Roman? Is Britain Roman? Is America Roman? Are the Qing Roman?

If we consider the Roman empire to be "not-Roman", we can very quickly determine that the answer to all of these questions would be "no." while also dutifully distancing ourselves from that tyrant-charlatan J*lius and his (as I believe should be properly named) Mediterranean Kingdom.

So then this immediately brings to mind the inverse question, tying into the opener of this post: what is potentially gained by granting the Roman Empire the title of "Roman", other than satisfying the claim to some abstract prestigious identity (which is wholly undeserved, no matter how much political and familial maneuvering ancient politicians could muster.) It seems to me the only outcome of such an allowance is to glorify a madman and produce a greater degree of uncertainty.

romans were romans for as long as they thought themselves to be romans. so:

Republican Rome - yes
Caesar's Rome - yes
Byzantium Roman - yes
Are the continental "bloodline" successors Roman? - in official documents yes, but i don't think that the people living there thought themselves to be roman
Is modern Italy Roman? - no
Is Britain Roman? - no
Is America Roman - no
Are the Qing Roman - no

euphronius posted:

The mistake is there is no thing in the world that is “Roman empire”. It’s a phrase used in a language game we have about states and politics . There is no definite meaning

correct

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If western Europe isn’t roman then why did they have a Holy Roman Empire? Riddle me that poindexters.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Saying the empire was a republic because Sulla and Marius wielded similar power to emperors only makes sense if you think they were expressions of how well-functioning the government was and not the result of everything going wrong and taking on a title that literally suspends a ton of republican institutions. Or if you think the empire represents a state of eternal civil war.

Like while some institutions of the republic managed to survive and take on a bureaucratic role, some were dead before Augustus was born, and everything being subordinated to one guy who's top poo poo and whose family gets special status and privilege and whenever possible becomes the successor to the top poo poo while the last guy is deified as a god seems as monarchical as it gets. In no small part because the medieval societies who created our more modern conception of what monarchy entails took a lot of cues and trappings from imperial Rome.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Dont Touch ME posted:

Roman citizenship was held by quite a lot of people who weren't from the city of Rome and had no particular connection to it. After Caracalla that was actually most citizens. And citizenship was considered valuable enough that people would go to war for the right to have to it. So I dunno but it seems to me like a sense of Roman identity was held completely independent of the city-state such that people across Europe, North Africa and the Middle-East would continue to identify as Roman long past the point the city itself was a derelict backwater.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Random Integer posted:

Roman citizenship was held by quite a lot of people who weren't from the city of Rome and had no particular connection to it. After Caracalla that was actually most citizens. And citizenship was considered valuable enough that people would go to war for the right to have to it. So I dunno but it seems to me like a sense of Roman identity was held completely independent of the city-state such that people across Europe, North Africa and the Middle-East would continue to identify as Roman long past the point the city itself was a derelict backwater.

Caracalla only did it as a taxation scheme. Citizenship was more of a legal distinction (much like it is today), than a cheesehat identifier

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Gaius Marius posted:

I saw the first part and wondered why you were questioning an article about the Assyrians, then I saw silla, and wondered what the gently caress silla has to do with the Assyrians

I was laughing at the title although in retrospect I'm not sure why I found it so funny. Turns out it's just about a bronze kneading bowl and the word bronze got truncated, although the alerts usually show the full text so I'm not sure what happened.

To make my shitpost at least a little constructive though, I'll use this as another opportunity to plug Google Scholar alerts for those that aren't aware! You can set a bunch of keywords to flag and get emails whenever journal articles get published that include them. It is like 90% chaff (hence me getting an email about Assyrian kneading bowls in my flag that was looking for stuff related to Silla), but it is helpful for keeping up with things.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Koramei posted:

I was laughing at the title although in retrospect I'm not sure why I found it so funny. Turns out it's just about a bronze kneading bowl and the word bronze got truncated, although the alerts usually show the full text so I'm not sure what happened.

To make my shitpost at least a little constructive though, I'll use this as another opportunity to plug Google Scholar alerts for those that aren't aware! You can set a bunch of keywords to flag and get emails whenever journal articles get published that include them. It is like 90% chaff (hence me getting an email about Assyrian kneading bowls in my flag that was looking for stuff related to Silla), but it is helpful for keeping up with things.
That's a letdown I was thinking it was one of those Fringe, we found two bronze vessels with sort of similar designs, and the Assyrian word for dog vaguely sounds like the Ancient Korean word for dog, clearly the Assyrians were a Korean colony, Ideas.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Don't Touch ME, you may find this map elucidating. Julius Caesar wasn't exactly the beginning of Roman imperial domination. Oh, and I was just joking about you trolling in the China thread.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/1364656517232943105?s=20

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Poor Vitellius, if the mob hadn’t interrupted his abdication he would have faded away to chill in a villa and drink himself to death.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That's more profound than it first appears.

We just call it "life" while it's happening. It only becomes history years later when they can sort out what was actually important.

While some events are obviously significant when they occur, there's an awful lot of stuff that turns out to be hugely important later that no one really paid any attention to when it was happening.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
big boost to the "new jersey is the modern rome" theory

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ayyyy im listenin to da Senate ova hear!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

This guy has opinions about the Mets

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Cognito, ergo sum gabagool

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bobby Digital posted:

This guy has opinions about the Mets

He's literally in yankeesfans.gif

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I just see the forum crier from Rome when he was younger.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Cognito, ergo sum gabagaul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
This just in: Ancient Roman looks Italian.

I joke, but this has actually been a real thing. There's been a certain contingent of people out there, especially in the past, who are big admirers of ancient Greece or ancient Rome, or ancient Egypt, who go out of their way to deny that they had any sort of relationship with their modern counterparts, or even that the moderns are descendants of the ancient.