Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I was involved very tangentially in a project to store human genomes (and other data about us) on sapphire digital disks on the moon. I even got some quotes from Thunderdome stories from these forums included. It kinda fell apart, I believe due to a combination of big egos and running out of money. But my big takeaway was that sapphire seems to be the way to go for multi-million-year digital data storage.

It's probably actually a good thing it fell apart, since we only got a good full-length human genome sequence in the last year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anyone know what the hell this thing is

There was no signage to even tell what era it was from

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fellatio-themed ocarina?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Water feature or something music/sound related I wouls guess.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

it had a ritual significance

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Maybe an incense burner?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is it a herm?

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

It kinda just seems like it'd be a pretty metal fountain, get some water vomiting from 4 faces, would look pretty neat. I'm basing this off absolutely nothing except I think it'd look cool.

So, I've been reading a bit about the Siege of Suiyang during 757, are there any sources except for the Old Book of Tang/New Book of Tang? The records of cannibalism seem really doubtful to me and I wondered if there'd been any attempt to verify it. I could believe there'd be some incidents of cannibalism in an extreme famine, but I'm struggling to believe that soldiers and people in this besieged city would not mutiny and surrender under the conditions described. Historian friend is convinced its true because why would the Tang dynasty record themselves doing something like this?

quote:

Yin Ziqi had besieged the city for a long time. The food in the city had run out. The dwellers traded their children to eat and cooked bodies of the dead. Fears were spread and worse situations were expected. At this time, Zhang Xun took his concubine out and killed her in front of his soldiers in order to feed them. He said, "You have been working hard at protecting this city for the country wholeheartedly. Your loyalty is uncompromised despite the long-lasting hunger. Since I can't cut out my own flesh to feed you, how can I keep this woman and just ignore the dangerous situation?" All the soldiers cried, and they did not want to eat. Zhang Xun ordered them to eat the flesh. Afterwards, they caught the women in the city. After the women were run out, they turned to old and young males. 20,000 to 30,000 people were eaten. People always remained loyal.

quote:

After the city was besieged for a long time, at the beginning, the horses were eaten. After horses ran out, they turned to the women, the old, and the young. 30,000 people in total were eaten. People knew their death was close, and nobody rebelled. When the city fell, only 400 people were left.

I think she's assigning current day values a bit there, because I don't know, it reads more to me like they're saying it as some kind of boast about the loyalty and integrity of the soldiers and citizens for obeying instead of surrendering. Or maybe intimidation. I'm not sure. If there was cannibalism during the siege I can't imagine it happening in the figures described, I honestly can't imagine it happening more than isolated and unorganised. I know cannibalism does happen during famine, but I would think the fact that surrender would end the famine would make that a preferable alternative for basically everyone except perhaps the top officers. Friend thinks the soldiers were too weak to mutiny because of the famine, but I mean. It'd not just be soldiers rebelling though, people living there could do it on sheer numbers, if the numbers of the eaten were even close to the truth.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Grand Fromage posted:

Yup. This period in particular will probably have terrible documentation unless there are efforts made to preserve it in readable forms. I know that exists but I don't know that it's sufficient. The Library of Congress just printing the internet off and storing it in a basement is an important job.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This post right here is going into the Library of Congress.

"drat, meta" the squid archaeologists will say.

unfortunately they don't have an account here, so they seem to mostly archive the frontpage

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/GravitysRa1nbow/status/1524061273507483648?t=jiI6RblAqH6NathS3wOJtA&s=19

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Reminds me of how Socrates was basically "kids today are too soft: another Spartan occupation —like back in my day— would set 'em straight."

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

This is an Alcibiades reference, isn't it?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kylaer posted:

This is an Alcibiades reference, isn't it?
Alcibiades nutz

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Part of the reason Socrates was killed in the first place is because he has supported (in the eyes of the restored democratic government at least) the Thirty Tyrants, the pro-Spartan oligarchy who had a very short lived but bloody reign of terror following Athens's defeat in the Peloponnesian War.

At very least the tyrants allowed him to live while killing almost everyone who directly opposed them but whether that was because at least one (possibly more) of them was a former student of his or because Socrates was a collaborator/sympathizer was somewhat controversial.

Plato didn't think so but he wasn't exactly neutral also the aforementioned former student Criatas was Plato's cousin. So double not neutral.

Source:
It came to me in a dream

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Bone study suggest Anglo-Saxon elite ate about less meat than previously thought.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's May 29th again, hope everyone is doing okay on this difficult day. :cryinghagiasophia:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's Centralia coal fire day

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Arglebargle III posted:

It's Centralia coal fire day

Every day is Centralia coal fire day!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Anyone have any recs for spooky/scary/skeleton stuff on ancient religions, cults, witches and the like? Bonus points if it's a popular book from the 1920s.

Yes, it's for an RPG thing: I'm thinking of running Call of Cthulhu for my friends and I'm looking for some inspiration for occult stuff.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Siivola posted:

Anyone have any recs for spooky/scary/skeleton stuff on ancient religions, cults, witches and the like? Bonus points if it's a popular book from the 1920s.

Yes, it's for an RPG thing: I'm thinking of running Call of Cthulhu for my friends and I'm looking for some inspiration for occult stuff.

Take a look at the Greek magic papyri if you want to learn what to say and do in actual ancient occultism, complete with spells far more tongue-twisty than even Lovecraft would have come up with:

PDF available here

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
"PTABAIN AAAAAA AEEIOYOYOOIEEA..."
"Did you just say 'AAAAAA'? It's supposed to be 'AAAAAAA'!"
"Oh shi--"

[ROOM EXPLODES]

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fixed

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

It's May 29th again, hope everyone is doing okay on this difficult day. :cryinghagiasophia:

Incidentally they're talking about excommunicating the moscow patriarchate because Kirill is a poo poo, which means depending which tradition you follow we've got a Fourth Rome up for grabs

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Grand Fromage posted:

What is so bad about the day of the glorious conquest of İstanbul?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

They say time heals all wounds, but it never seems to get any easier.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Zopotantor posted:

What is so bad about the day of the glorious conquest of İstanbul?

The loss of a robust tradition of feminine wisdom as part of the Son in the Trinity is a pretty big deal to some people, even if they aren’t orthodox.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

skasion posted:

Take a look at the Greek magic papyri if you want to learn what to say and do in actual ancient occultism, complete with spells far more tongue-twisty than even Lovecraft would have come up with:

PDF available here
Sick, thanks! Checked out a couple of books cited in the introduction and now I've got Egyptian magic for days.

If someone knows about early Christian heresies (and especially the slander from their opponents), I'm all ears for that stuff too. :catholic:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

They say time heals all wounds, but it never seems to get any easier.

Username post etc

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Siivola posted:

Sick, thanks! Checked out a couple of books cited in the introduction and now I've got Egyptian magic for days.

If someone knows about early Christian heresies (and especially the slander from their opponents), I'm all ears for that stuff too. :catholic:

This also might be helpful: https://www.phil.uni-wuerzburg.de/cmawro/magic-witchcraft/

It's actual Babylonian witchcraft and such, which is probably what Lovecraft was imagining when he came up with the Cthulhu mythos. Unfortunately it looks like you can only get a German translation for free online (that site has one).

There seem to be English translations kicking around, but those mostly seem to be spellbooks for modern people who literally believe the Cthulhu mythos is real, so YMMV.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Siivola posted:

The best source for responses to early Christian heresies is Irenaeus's bluntly named Against Heresies. He wrote around 180 CE and the text refutes heretical ideas from a variety of sects that existed in his days, including Gnostic groups.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This also might be helpful: https://www.phil.uni-wuerzburg.de/cmawro/magic-witchcraft/

It's actual Babylonian witchcraft and such, which is probably what Lovecraft was imagining when he came up with the Cthulhu mythos. Unfortunately it looks like you can only get a German translation for free online (that site has one).

There seem to be English translations kicking around, but those mostly seem to be spellbooks for modern people who literally believe the Cthulhu mythos is real, so YMMV.

this rules thank you

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's great stuff, thank you both.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

There are English translations of those texts on Oracc, an archive run by the University of Pennsylvania: http://oracc.museum.upenn.edu/cmawro/corpus. There's a ton of collections of translated cuneiform texts on that site too, organized into categories, so there are probably some other collections relating to witchcraft you could find by browsing the site a little.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

CrypticFox posted:

There are English translations of those texts on Oracc, an archive run by the University of Pennsylvania: http://oracc.museum.upenn.edu/cmawro/corpus. There's a ton of collections of translated cuneiform texts on that site too, organized into categories, so there are probably some other collections relating to witchcraft you could find by browsing the site a little.

Oh that's awesome, and it has the transliterations too! For the OP, that could be pretty useful -- Sumerian is utterly unlike any other language on this planet, so already sounds extremely occult.

Like:

"Šamaš upīšūšunu ana muḫḫīšunu litūrū!"

for

"Šamaš, may their sorcerous devices return to them who turned to evil against me!"

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Oh that's awesome, and it has the transliterations too! For the OP, that could be pretty useful -- Sumerian is utterly unlike any other language on this planet, so already sounds extremely occult.

Like:

"Šamaš upīšūšunu ana muḫḫīšunu litūrū!"

for

"Šamaš, may their sorcerous devices return to them who turned to evil against me!"

Just needs some more Y's and I'd have thought it was Finnish. (I do not speak or read Finnish)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cuneiform Digital Library Journal posted:

Ninkasi, you are the one who handles dough (and) … with a big shovel,
Mixing, in a pit, the bappir with sweet aromatics.
Ninkasi, you are the one who bakes the bappir in the big oven,
Puts in order the piles of hulled grain.
Ninkasi, you are the one who waters the earth-covered malt (“munu”),
The noble dogs guard (it even) from the potentates.
Ninkasi, you are the one who soaks the malt (“sun”) in a jar,
The waves rise, the waves fall.
Ninkasi, you are the one who spreads the cooked mash (“ti-tab”) on large reed mats,
Coolness overcomes …
Ninkasi, you are the one who holds with both hands the great sweetwort (“dida”),
Brewing (it) with honey (and) wine.
Ninkasi,
the sweetwort (“dida”) to the vessel.
The fermenting vat, which makes a pleasant sound,
You place appropriately on (top of) a large collector vat (“laĚtan”).
Ninkasi, you are the one who pours out the filtered beer of the collector vat,
It is (like) the onrush of the Tigris and the Euphrates.

Ok so is this a straightforward description of Ninkasi's duties or is it full of innuendo? I can't tell.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Ok so is this a straightforward description of Ninkasi's duties or is it full of innuendo? I can't tell.

IIRC this has been posted before and it's a recipe that is also a prayer.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kylaer posted:

IIRC this has been posted before and it's a recipe that is also a prayer.

For beer, specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Siivola posted:

In a lot of cases the slander from their opponents is the only evidence we have at all :shobon: