Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kylaer posted:

There were tons of variations on the concept of the mace, with round heads, or flanged, or spiked, but yeah, the "mace on a chain" is probably fantasy. Threshing flails were a real peasant tool and undoubtedly got used to bash heads in once in a while, much like you can chop someone with an axe meant for cutting trees, but that's different than a dedicated weapon design.

Was the kusarigama something that actually saw use, or is it another likely fantasy creation? The way I've heard it described is that the weight and chain were light and the chain was much longer than what is ascribed to a flail, and the intention was to entangle an opponent's arm or weapon so you could stab them, rather than to be a killing tool in it's own right. But I have no idea if they were real.
The kusarigama actually saw military use, apparently, although I assume it was probably a skirmisher kind of weapon. You're accurate that it's more like a weighted chain attached to a sickle, with the general idea being that you tangle up the guy and then you kill him with the sickle (or I guess he could surrender). I imagine your biggest obstacle is that once you get one guy you have to untangle the chain from his carcass, so it would be a reasonably efficient "gently caress up one drunk samurai" weapon but would be hard to scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

God drat that's a fine-looking road. :swoon:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Egyptologist gives hypothetical how-to on pulling down an Obelisk that may/ may not be a racist symbol in Birmingham, AL. https://imgur.com/gallery/DOJzbhc

And not just anyone either..

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dalael posted:

Egyptologist gives hypothetical how-to on pulling down an Obelisk that may/ may not be a racist symbol in Birmingham, AL. https://imgur.com/gallery/DOJzbhc

And not just anyone either..

The obelisk is already gone. Turns out a boom crane works pretty well, too.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Yeah, the mayor asked protesters to leave the monument for 24 hours while they made preparations and then they would take it down. And they did.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Fly Molo posted:

God drat that's a fine-looking road. :swoon:

A True Roman Road for True Romans.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

The kusarigama actually saw military use, apparently, although I assume it was probably a skirmisher kind of weapon. You're accurate that it's more like a weighted chain attached to a sickle, with the general idea being that you tangle up the guy and then you kill him with the sickle (or I guess he could surrender). I imagine your biggest obstacle is that once you get one guy you have to untangle the chain from his carcass, so it would be a reasonably efficient "gently caress up one drunk samurai" weapon but would be hard to scale.

If you have successfully killed one opponent... good! You've done your job and are already batting above average.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
There's still Iaido schools that have kusarigama kata:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXesoopsWGE&t=16s

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

If you have successfully killed one opponent... good! You've done your job and are already batting above average.
:hmmyes:

I imagine the kusarigama was also not easy to learn how to use. You could put an eye out with that thing.

e: watching these videos and assuming it's not totally ritualized, it seems you also get the issue of, you have invented an awesome 1v1 weapon against swords... but can it do anything else?

Nessus fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 3, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Seems really situational.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
My favorite old Japanese weapon is the sasumata. Cops here still use an updated version.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The cops in my old hometown in California had the option to carry nunchucks instead of a baton. Even got a free demo of how it worked on me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Stringent posted:

My favorite old Japanese weapon is the sasumata. Cops here still use an updated version.

The Indian Urumi is neat

quote:

The urumi hasn’t regularly been used as an actual weapon for generations, but even as a demonstration weapon, it is still incredibly dangerous. Especially to the user.

The urumi (which can be translated as “curving sword,” and is also known as a “chuttuval”), hails from southern India. The historic weapon was saved from the erasure of time when it was incorporated into Kalaripayattu martial arts, an Indian fighting style that is considered one of the oldest in the world. Incorporating elements of yoga and performative dance, Kalaripayattu movements look like violent but graceful choreography. Urumi fighting is no different, it is just far more dangerous to those who would attempt to learn the skill.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/indias-deadly-flexible-whip-sword-takes-years-to-master

And there's the Rope Dart too, as featured in kung fu movies and cool Burning Man Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4zB86qNsHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElMET8oSyAU

I see claims for historical antecedents for the rope dart but yeah I'm a little suspicious, still neat tho

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I've always been kinda fond of the hunga munga myself. It's like the smith was told "this is for hurting people. Make that very clear." and given no other guidance about what to make.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lots of weapons like the kusurikama are similar to pole arms in that their history isn't "I designed a weapon" as much as "I figured out how to fight ok with this poo poo I had laying around already".

The kusurikama is a grain scythe with a rope or chain and a weight. That's not far removed from putting a steak knife on the end of a broomstick to make a spear.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Lots of weapons like the kusurikama are similar to pole arms in that their history isn't "I designed a weapon" as much as "I figured out how to fight ok with this poo poo I had laying around already".

The kusurikama is a grain scythe with a rope or chain and a weight. That's not far removed from putting a steak knife on the end of a broomstick to make a spear.

Ahh you will meet your doom at the tip of my ChickenTendySweeper.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Putting someone off-balance with a thrown weapon right before you lunge in for the kill isn't so far removed from the role of a pilum or a throwing axe, I'm more surprised more people haven't tried using thrown nets and chains as a fighting doctrine. I suppose it's only really useful in impromptu skirmishes, not useful for large formations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

Putting someone off-balance with a thrown weapon right before you lunge in for the kill isn't so far removed from the role of a pilum or a throwing axe, I'm more surprised more people haven't tried using thrown nets and chains as a fighting doctrine. I suppose it's only really useful in impromptu skirmishes, not useful for large formations.
Nets and chains were probably pretty hard to make for something that would be ultimately disposable (cuz you'd probably lose it). They were also unwieldy for formations, just looking at them. Weren't retarius gladiators supposed to be based on something or other, though? Maybe it was one of those things where they'd have some skirmishers with that kind of gear but it was never like, core.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Nessus posted:

Nets and chains were probably pretty hard to make for something that would be ultimately disposable (cuz you'd probably lose it). They were also unwieldy for formations, just looking at them. Weren't retarius gladiators supposed to be based on something or other, though? Maybe it was one of those things where they'd have some skirmishers with that kind of gear but it was never like, core.

Retiarii were kind of unique in that they were based on fisherman as opposed to a nationality or extant fighting style: the pairing of a trident along with the net is pretty specific to gladiators. They were originally paired up with murmillos which had kind of fish shaped helmets, to go along with the theme. Eventually, the murmillos set against retiarii evolved into the secutor, who had a much more bare helmet but less vision and ventilation. Apparently the big "fins" on the murmillo helmet were too easy to get caught in the net and making the retiarius' job harder was considered a plus.

The Romans also saw the retiarii as effeminate and bad and they were basically the designated "heel" in the pairing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Spear puncture wounds probably more dangerous than slash wounds.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Spear puncture wounds probably more dangerous than slash wounds.
The entire logistics of injuries vs. killing seems like it would be different back then. I imagine mild casualties would just walk it off, and your clever poo poo-smeared blow dart that's going to kill Paterfamilias Gaius in three days won't do you much good if he can pull it out, maybe tie a cloth over it, and come over to stab you in the head XVII times.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

True but I thought the point of gladiators was to have your investment live to fight another day. The suturing of a slash wound is fairly simple compared to deep punctures. I’m not even sure the tridents would be barbed. Just seems like a ridiculous risk if they aren’t actually trying to kill each other.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FishFood posted:

Retiarii were kind of unique in that they were based on fisherman as opposed to a nationality or extant fighting style: the pairing of a trident along with the net is pretty specific to gladiators. They were originally paired up with murmillos which had kind of fish shaped helmets, to go along with the theme. Eventually, the murmillos set against retiarii evolved into the secutor, who had a much more bare helmet but less vision and ventilation. Apparently the big "fins" on the murmillo helmet were too easy to get caught in the net and making the retiarius' job harder was considered a plus.

The Romans also saw the retiarii as effeminate and bad and they were basically the designated "heel" in the pairing.

Would a gladiator play the same role for their entire career, or would they switch around depending on what their owner/patron needed?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

If I were taking a Latin class today, would there be an agreed-upon pronunciation of the ii at the end of something like Julii? I've heard that word in particular pronounced as both "julie" and "julie-eye."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Communist Walrus posted:

If I were taking a Latin class today, would there be an agreed-upon pronunciation of the ii at the end of something like Julii? I've heard that word in particular pronounced as both "julie" and "julie-eye."

In Classical Latin usage, it would have been two syllables, the first i short (as in “sit”) and the second long (as in “machine”): more like “yuli-eeh”.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

The Lone Badger posted:

Would a gladiator play the same role for their entire career, or would they switch around depending on what their owner/patron needed?

I like to think it was like the modern WWE, complete with story arcs, script writers, and after-action interviews.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know of any evidence about scripting or storylines (though there was certainly at least some match fixing going on), but pro wrestling is probably the best modern analogue to gladiators. The historical recreations where gladiators would kill a bunch of prisoners were a real thing, so it wouldn't be a stretch to think they might have had story elements in gladiator fights.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know of any evidence about scripting or storylines (though there was certainly at least some match fixing going on), but pro wrestling is probably the best modern analogue to gladiators.

The romans probably cared more about the wellbeing of the gladiators than the WWF cares about the wellbeing of their wrestlers though.

The Lone Badger posted:

At least some gladiators played the same role for their entire career. Flamma for example fought as a secutor and Carpophorus fought as a venatores.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 4, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Did the roman audience know the fight wasn't "real" like the current wrestling audience does, and just come to watch the show?

Or was the audience sold on it?

Did romans have kayfabe basically is what I'm asking

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did the roman audience know the fight wasn't "real" like the current wrestling audience does, and just come to watch the show?

Or was the audience sold on it?

Did romans have kayfabe basically is what I'm asking

Well, saying the fight wasn't real is making a huge assumption that we have no evidence for. My presumption is that there was a combination of genuine fights, staged matches, and fights fixed by whoever was making money off the betting.

We can say for sure there were at least some real fights, since we have advertisements for gladiator matches that specifically say that they will be sine missione, fights to the death. I don't think you can call it a fake fight like pro wrestling if one of the dudes dies at the end.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Also, fights not being to the death (sometimes) doesn’t mean they were fake in the pro-wrestling sense. The rules of engagement allowed surrender and also stoppage by the referee.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Right. I would guess the majority of fights were real. As a presentation/form of entertainment, I think it was a lot like pro wrestling. But the actual fights were more of a martial sport like boxing. There were clear rules, there was a referee right there during the entire fight, there were defined categories and tiers. And even a regular, non-deathmatch fight could very well end in death, either by accident or because you could be executed by the dude off-stage dressed as an Etruscan Vanth with a big fuckin hammer if you gave a bad enough performance.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Right. I would guess the majority of fights were real. As a presentation/form of entertainment, I think it was a lot like pro wrestling. But the actual fights were more of a martial sport like boxing. There were clear rules, there was a referee right there during the entire fight, there were defined categories and tiers. And even a regular, non-deathmatch fight could very well end in death, either by accident or because you could be executed by the dude off-stage dressed as an Etruscan Vanth with a big fuckin hammer if you gave a bad enough performance.
You could also be killed by a bad referee, at least according to the tombstone of Diodorus:
After breaking my opponent Demetrius I did not kill him immediately. Fate and the cunning treachery of the summa rudis killed me.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 4, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Alhazred posted:

You could also be killed by a bad referee, at least according to the tombstone of Diodorus:
After breaking my opponent Demetrius I did not kill him immediately. Fate and the cunning treachery of the summa rudis killed me.

Lol what a sore loser

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Alhazred posted:

The romans probably cared more about the wellbeing of the gladiators than the WWF cares about the wellbeing of their wrestlers though.

Can you use wrestlers as an impromptu private military when you're getting involved in fighting in the streets?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

i would like to know more about this

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pretty cool reconstruction although I don't know why artists are so convinced that ancient people went around without shirts in the sun.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

evilweasel posted:

There's not much more to it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

evilweasel posted:

I thought it was Charun rather than Vanth, but a slave dressed as Charun would smash the skulls of the dead gladiators with a hammer to make sure they were dead. If the gladiator was downed, and the host of the games decided his performance was inadequate, it would also be the hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Arglebargle III posted:

Pretty cool reconstruction although I don't know why artists are so convinced that ancient people went around without shirts in the sun.

This reminds me a lot of the Lion's Gate at Mykonos. It's a really impressive site and well worth a visit