Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«921 »
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I still can't believe they cast Spock as me. Spock! Can you imagine?

Of course, he was missing a few things.

Kylaer posted:

There were tons of variations on the concept of the mace, with round heads, or flanged, or spiked, but yeah, the "mace on a chain" is probably fantasy. Threshing flails were a real peasant tool and undoubtedly got used to bash heads in once in a while, much like you can chop someone with an axe meant for cutting trees, but that's different than a dedicated weapon design.

Was the kusarigama something that actually saw use, or is it another likely fantasy creation? The way I've heard it described is that the weight and chain were light and the chain was much longer than what is ascribed to a flail, and the intention was to entangle an opponent's arm or weapon so you could stab them, rather than to be a killing tool in it's own right. But I have no idea if they were real.
The kusarigama actually saw military use, apparently, although I assume it was probably a skirmisher kind of weapon. You're accurate that it's more like a weighted chain attached to a sickle, with the general idea being that you tangle up the guy and then you kill him with the sickle (or I guess he could surrender). I imagine your biggest obstacle is that once you get one guy you have to untangle the chain from his carcass, so it would be a reasonably efficient "gently caress up one drunk samurai" weapon but would be hard to scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Molo
May 7, 2007

God drat that's a fine-looking road.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Egyptologist gives hypothetical how-to on pulling down an Obelisk that may/ may not be a racist symbol in Birmingham, AL. https://imgur.com/gallery/DOJzbhc

And not just anyone either..

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The general increasing love of athletics is benefiting our young men, and making their lives better and more worth the living.

Dalael posted:

Egyptologist gives hypothetical how-to on pulling down an Obelisk that may/ may not be a racist symbol in Birmingham, AL. https://imgur.com/gallery/DOJzbhc

And not just anyone either..

The obelisk is already gone. Turns out a boom crane works pretty well, too.

«921 »