Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

The Tana (modern River Don), which conveniently used to be called Vana

I read somewhere that linguists have argued that germanic languages could have been a pidgin that evolved from PIE speaking groups encountering groups speaking a wildly different language. This in turn had been postulated to be linked to the vanir+aesir mythology where seemingly two pantheons have been melded. Though I think the vanir+aesir mythology was a thing mostly associated with scandinavia and not something that was recorded for other germanic speaking areas/peoples so it does not necessaily seem to be a great theory.

Knowing nothing about linguistics nor anything about the modern consensus among historians, I have no real idea of how valid those ideas are or ever were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is that why they're so ok with taking loan words (and just gluing six words together into one) versus (e.g.) the French who have a board of censors or some poo poo to see if a word can be allowed in?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Schadenboner posted:

Is that why they're so ok with taking loan words (and just gluing six words together into one) versus (e.g.) the French who have a board of censors or some poo poo to see if a word can be allowed in?

That's nationalism not linguistics

And my understanding is that nobody gives a poo poo what words that board declares are okay unless you're writing something that needs to sound official

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Zudgemud posted:

I read somewhere that linguists have argued that germanic languages could have been a pidgin that evolved from PIE speaking groups encountering groups speaking a wildly different language. This in turn had been postulated to be linked to the vanir+aesir mythology where seemingly two pantheons have been melded. Though I think the vanir+aesir mythology was a thing mostly associated with scandinavia and not something that was recorded for other germanic speaking areas/peoples so it does not necessaily seem to be a great theory.

Knowing nothing about linguistics nor anything about the modern consensus among historians, I have no real idea of how valid those ideas are or ever were.

The Germanic substrate theory is well known but poorly supported. I think nowadays the preferred consensus is that most of the weird Germanic vocabulary has an Indo-European etymology, and the case for the substrate is becoming weaker. But Germanic is maybe the most divergent Indo-European branch, so there is definitely a lot of questions that remain

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought I read something a little while back that the grand theory of a singular proto-indo-european language was kinda dubious? Like with its main supporters really stretching to find any evidence and ignoring evidence to the contrary?

The idea that all religions had a similar derivation seems similarly suspect.

You misunderstood something. PIE is very well established, the homeland is well established, and the internal topology is fairly well understood. It's possible that the Indo-European languages descend more from a dialect continuum than a single language, but that doesn't really change the reconstruction, location or timescale. Instead it might simplify some of the oddities of PIE

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, it's very possible/likely there isn't a PIE language, but languages. But nobody serious thinks PIE never existed. The Horse, the Wheel, and Language goes surprisingly deep on the linguistics for a general audience book if you're interested.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Even if it was a variety of related languages at the time it started spreading rapidly, that just pushes the common ancestor language a bit further back. It doesn't mean there wasn't a common ancestor language

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, it's very possible/likely there isn't a PIE language, but languages. But nobody serious thinks PIE never existed. The Horse, the Wheel, and Language goes surprisingly deep on the linguistics for a general audience book if you're interested.

Is it audiobookable or would stuff not transfer well.

Like, Gleick's The Information seems like it's a great book but audio is a poor format for it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Schadenboner posted:

Is it audiobookable or would stuff not transfer well.

Like, Gleick's The Information seems like it's a great book but audio is a poor format for it?

There's a lot of charts and stuff written in reconstructed PIE and other languages, I think the audiobook would be pretty confusing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a lot of charts and stuff written in reconstructed PIE and other languages, I think the audiobook would be pretty confusing.

:tipshat:, 1491 it is, then!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Some books are just a bad fit for audiobooking. Two of my books are like that, full of fascinating information about deep sea organisms, but so filled to the brim with maps, charts, diagrams and tables, an audiobook would only work if it could beam that poo poo straight into your brain

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Why does everything need to be an audiobook? Why don't people just read?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fish of hemp posted:

I have a hard time falling asleep while reading (reading requiring the eyes to be opened) vis-à-vis audiobooks (which do not require the eyes to be open)?

:shrug:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fish of hemp posted:

Audiobooks are good, OP.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Grand Fromage posted:

Audiobooks are good, OP.

With the note that whomever decided "Unabridged Selections From..." could be classified in Audible as "Unabridged" should get Mongol'ed (or Hun'ed).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I could never use an audiobook, I already have a hard time with podcasts if they get over a certain lengths. Dan Carlin's infamous 4+ hour podcasts always need several attempts before I can get through them. Audiobooks are presumably even longer. No deal.

Besides, I like to listen to loud music when reading, which combines badly with audiobooks on general principle

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fish of hemp posted:

It's way easier to listen to an audio book while working than to read while working.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I still prefer actual books (well, ebooks now) but audiobooks are good too. I like to have one going while playing vidya games or cooking or walking or driving or whatever. Podcasts fill up a lot of that time for me nowadays but I keep a store of audiobooks too.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I always get distracted when trying to listen to an audiobook. I solemnly swear never to download a podcast

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bongo Bill posted:

I always get distracted when trying to listen to an audiobook. I solemnly swear never to download a podcast
I'm hoping they're a fad because it's irritating to have all sorts of important, relevant or just current information and topics be nestled in a three hour talk radio package. I could read it in twenty minutes instead.

This is more about podcasts than audiobooks though. I wonder if the ancients had moments like this. :v:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
What's the thing where you do circumlocution to avoid saying someone's name (like how the Khajiit say "Zees one has question?" in Skyrim)?

I want to say it's a levantine thing having to do with like the power of names or theophorics or something but hosed if I can :google: for this broad of a concept?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nessus posted:

I'm hoping they're a fad because it's irritating to have all sorts of important, relevant or just current information and topics be nestled in a three hour talk radio package. I could read it in twenty minutes instead.

This is more about podcasts than audiobooks though. I wonder if the ancients had moments like this. :v:

Doesn't Socrates spend a long-rear end time bitching about the evils of the written word?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I used to be big into podcasts and audiobooks but I feel like I only retain about 10-20% of the information I'd retain if I was actually reading them. That's probably because I listen to them when I'm working yeah, but all the same I think there's a big advantage to actually seeing the words, getting to check the footnotes, and with ebooks being able to highlight stuff easily. There's so many times I find myself having to ctrl+f a relevant half-remembered detail to refresh myself when I'm writing something important like a Something Awful forums post, whereas I'm just poo poo out of luck if I got the information from an audio source. I guess it would work okay with the text to speech books via the iPhone books app or whatever where it is based off the searchable text, but that robot voice wore through me after a couple of months of it.

e: these days I spend my working time much more productively, listening to Age of Empires 2 streams.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 5, 2020

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Schadenboner posted:

What's the thing where you do circumlocution to avoid saying someone's name (like how the Khajiit say "Zees one has question?" in Skyrim)?

I want to say it's a levantine thing having to do with like the power of names or theophorics or something but hosed if I can :google: for this broad of a concept?

If you're avoiding saying the name of a god/devil because the name has power, that would be euphemism. Not sure if that fully covers what you were thinking of, though.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'll This one will go with "Circumlocutory Euphemism" then?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's "illeism," which is to say, referring to oneself in the third person. It's also technically an honorific, as it carries information about the relative social status of the speaker and the addressee.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bongo Bill posted:

It's "illeism," which is to say, referring to oneself in the third person. It's also technically an honorific, as it carries information about the relative social status of the speaker and the addressee.

Sort of? I'm thinking more about there being a social taboo against saying someone else's name. I dunno, I think I'm having a hard time searching for it because I'm having a hard time expressing it and that's because I'm having a hard time defining it myself.

:shrug:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Koramei posted:

I used to be big into podcasts and audiobooks but I feel like I only retain about 10-20% of the information I'd retain if I was actually reading them. That's probably because I listen to them when I'm working yeah, but all the same I think there's a big advantage to actually seeing the words, getting to check the footnotes, and with ebooks being able to highlight stuff easily. There's so many times I find myself having to ctrl+f a relevant half-remembered detail to refresh myself when I'm writing something important like a Something Awful forums post, whereas I'm just poo poo out of luck if I got the information from an audio source. I guess it would work okay with the text to speech books via the iPhone books app or whatever where it is based off the searchable text, but that robot voice wore through me after a couple of months of it.

e: these days I spend my working time much more productively, listening to Age of Empires 2 streams.

i think this depends strongly on the presentation of the material. a lot of books just don't translate into audio very well; the really good podcasts like revolutions are tailored to an audio experience. i find myself remembering about the same amount as i would for a written book listening to mike duncan or dan carlin (who you have to admit has an incredibly memorable delivery style, in spite of his other flaws), where an audiobook of a good written history book is almost inevitably going to feel kind of slow and hard to focus on. audio just demands a different approach.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

IF you can learn the true name name of a powerful demon/spirit/angel/whatever it gives you power over them and allows you to force them to work for you. After doing some incredibly convoluted ritual to summon them first (obviously).

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

FreudianSlippers posted:

IF you can learn the true name name of a powerful demon/spirit/angel/whatever it gives you power over them and allows you to force them to work for you. After doing some incredibly convoluted ritual to summon them first (obviously).

pictured: the incredibly convoluted ritual that summons rome once you learn its true name

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rome's secret name is Reme

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's over a century of history to people listening to Audiobooks while working,

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/71485/lectores-who-read-cubas-cigar-rollers

quote:

Like many Cubans, Jesus Fernandez and Enrique Velazquez had fled their native country during a volatile period marked by the violence of the Ten Years’ War and then the Spanish-American War. Relocating to Tampa, Florida, both men resumed duties as rollers, turning tobacco leaves into cigars.

But by 1903, the two men were aiming guns at one another.

Their rivalry began over a disagreement that had started at the Tampa factory: whether a novel titled La Canalla that was to be read aloud by their lector (reader) contained passages that might offend the presumed-delicate sensibilities of the female workers in the room.

Fernandez declared it obscene, Velazquez objected. Firearms emerged and shots were fired. Both men were hit, and Velazquez died from his wounds five days later.

It was a morbid bit of testimony that reflected the importance of the lector, a man (or later, woman) who was charged with reading to factory workers as they sat at their workstations for long hours. Without any heavy machinery to stifle noise, a lector could broadcast his or her voice to hundreds of rollers, keeping their minds engaged as their hands performed mindless, repetitive work. Newspapers were read, and so were novels. Some would work harder and longer if it meant staying to see how a plot would unravel. Current events would be translated from American newspapers.

Far from being laborers starved of culture, cigar rollers had the opportunity to examine new ideas, remain informed, and gain perspective through interpretation of classic literature. The lectores were their informal teachers. But, like many attempts to educate working class citizens, it nearly went up in smoke.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think monkos also had some dude reading to them during meals or some poo poo?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tunicate posted:

There's over a century of history to people listening to Audiobooks while working,

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/71485/lectores-who-read-cubas-cigar-rollers

Can’t leave me hanging like that, was the book dirty or not?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

pictured: the incredibly convoluted ritual that summons rome once you learn its true name

b..byzantium?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

skasion posted:

Can’t leave me hanging like that, was the book dirty or not?

It's really hard to find out what book this was. It might be Émile Zola's "La Curée/The Kill", but the Spanish translation is called "La jauría" according to Wikipedia.

e: maybe it was a Catalan translation?

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 6, 2020

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Zopotantor posted:

It's really hard to find out what book this was. It might be Émile Zola's "La Curée/The Kill", but the Spanish translation is called "La jauría" according to Wikipedia.

e: maybe it was a Catalan translation?

A few minutes searching comes up with this. My Spanish is pretty bad after a few decades of not using it, so I probably won't look for naughty bits in it to determine if it's appropriate for fin de siecle lady factory workers.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

sullat posted:

A few minutes searching comes up with this. My Spanish is pretty bad after a few decades of not using it, so I probably won't look for naughty bits in it to determine if it's appropriate for fin de siecle lady factory workers.

NSFFDSLFW

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
This discussion about audiobook/reading book reminds me of a little tidbit that I read, about how you can read faster and think faster than you (or someone else) talks, which means that listening to an audiobook takes longer than reading the book.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rosemont posted:

This discussion about audiobook/reading book reminds me of a little tidbit that I read, about how you can read faster and think faster than you (or someone else) talks, which means that listening to an audiobook takes longer than reading the book.

This is true, but it's also why most audiobook players allow you to speed up tracks so you can hear them faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Oh, yeah, I'm aware. I don't use audiobooks myself because I retain far less than I would if I was reading a physical book, and as already mentioned there's some books that just don't translate well.

On something more relevant to the thread topic, what would be a good source if you wanted more information about fashion in the classical era? Movies and tv shows like to default to togas on people, but I know there was more than that out there that people wore.