Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Grevling posted:

That guy who made bread using Ancient Egyptian yeast who was making the rounds earlier reenacted the way they baked bread in the Old Kingdom using a conical clay mould.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/what-bread-did-ancient-egyptians-eat

Pics in the article.

Onions were that much sweeter? How did that cultivar go extinct? Normally modern cultivation makes things sweeter, not remove the sweetness.

Except for Tomatoes where reducing the sugar was a side effect of cultivating for maximum redness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I want to know more too. Maybe they were not sweet and they ate thrm like apples anyway. My grandpa apparently used to do that.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

SlothfulCobra posted:

Onions were that much sweeter? How did that cultivar go extinct? Normally modern cultivation makes things sweeter, not remove the sweetness.

Except for Tomatoes where reducing the sugar was a side effect of cultivating for maximum redness.

No idea about either the sweetness thing, but I do know that apart from a lot of religious and general medicinal uses, the ancient Egyptians specifically used onions for birth control, often in the form of a vaginal pessary mixed with other ingredients. What makes it useful is an abortifacient in it's raw form is that it's a diuretic and can stimulate contractions, I think largely by the same mechanism that causes crying, and it might have been that they bred for that so it was better at making uterii spit out pregnancies. Even if they didn't deliberately breed for bitterness, the super sweet ones might have just been another case like silphium, which kind of seems like a bog standard case of "monoculture is bad, also really loving hard to maintain even with modern technology and Monsanto bullshit".

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Scarodactyl posted:

“It was unbelievably emotional for me,” says Blackley. “I stan Egypt.”

sadly it appears this mans brain has been poisoned by the internet.

quote:

“I hadn’t exactly done my homework,” says Blackley. “They weren’t trolling me—I’m from the games business, I’m immune to trolling at this point. They were just after the proof. I was really embarrassed I hadn’t done this right.”

quote:

The online reaction actually seemed to encourage Blackley. “I feel I have a responsibility of being a modern representative of ancient Egyptians and not letting people give them any poo poo,” says Blackley.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have long wondered this: apparently the term "Greek" which is so different from the word "Hellene" comes from Latin, who named all the Greeks Graeci after the Graekoi, a Greek tribe who settled southern Italy. In turn they named themselves after the hero Graecus, which seemed to be a common way to choose a tribe name. For example the Ionians named themselves after the hero Ion. Some people think (according to wiki) that the name might have originated from the word Graia, which was an archaic Greek word for "old". I'm inclined to believe the hero story since Herodotus mentions many tribes naming and re-naming themselves after heroes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bead-work bracelet of Queen Ahhotep I. Gold, lapis, carnelion, and turquoise. 16th century BC.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scarodactyl posted:

I want to know more too. Maybe they were not sweet and they ate thrm like apples anyway. My grandpa apparently used to do that.

I do that all the time, no ‘sweet cultivar’ needed. They’re delicious. :colbert:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Arglebargle III posted:

Bead-work bracelet of Queen Ahhotep I. Gold, lapis, carnelion, and turquoise. 16th century BC.
Lapis all the way from afghanistan, and turqupose from the mines in the Sinai where the first phonetic alphabet was invented (which is likely the direct ancestor of the latin alphabet). Carnelian from wherever, agate is common and they probably dyed it. Truly a rich tapestry reflecting long term trade networks and historical landmarks and also carnelian.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HELLO LADIES posted:

No idea about either the sweetness thing, but I do know that apart from a lot of religious and general medicinal uses, the ancient Egyptians specifically used onions for birth control, often in the form of a vaginal pessary mixed with other ingredients. What makes it useful is an abortifacient in it's raw form is that it's a diuretic and can stimulate contractions, I think largely by the same mechanism that causes crying, and it might have been that they bred for that so it was better at making uterii spit out pregnancies. Even if they didn't deliberately breed for bitterness, the super sweet ones might have just been another case like silphium, which kind of seems like a bog standard case of "monoculture is bad, also really loving hard to maintain even with modern technology and Monsanto bullshit".
Where do our modern cultivars for onions typically come from? It might be a case where, and this is entirely speculative, they encouraged pungency and such for centuries (because there was little else available for seasoning but onions are not hard to grow) and then those were the cultivars that came to modernity.

It isn't as though sweet onions are impossible to farm or find either, though, they're just not the main commodity onion.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Magnificent

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shamelessly stolen:

Digital Maps of the Ancient World posted:

The Periplus of the Erythraean Sea
Many thanks to Preston Stone, who did the majority of the hard work on this project and allowed me to share it.

A periplus is a manuscript document that lists the ports and coastal landmarks, in order and with approximate intervening distances, that the captain of a vessel could expect to find along a shore. In that sense the periplus was a type of log. It served the same purpose as the later Roman itinerarium of road stops; however, the Greek navigators added various notes, which if they were professional geographers (as many were) became part of their own additions to Greek geography.

This document is a Greco-Roman periplus written in Koine Greek that describes navigation and trading opportunities from Roman Egyptian ports like Berenice Troglodytica along the coast of the Red Sea, and others along Horn of Africa, the Sindh region of Pakistan, along with southwestern regions of India. The text has been ascribed to different dates between the first and third centuries, but a mid-first century date is now the most commonly accepted. While the author is unknown, it is clearly a firsthand description by someone familiar with the area and is nearly unique in providing accurate insights into what the ancient Hellenic world knew about the lands around the Indian Ocean.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Arglebargle III posted:

I have long wondered this: apparently the term "Greek" which is so different from the word "Hellene" comes from Latin, who named all the Greeks Graeci after the Graekoi, a Greek tribe who settled southern Italy. In turn they named themselves after the hero Graecus, which seemed to be a common way to choose a tribe name. For example the Ionians named themselves after the hero Ion. Some people think (according to wiki) that the name might have originated from the word Graia, which was an archaic Greek word for "old". I'm inclined to believe the hero story since Herodotus mentions many tribes naming and re-naming themselves after heroes.

I wish "Danaan" had stuck around. I'm also partial to "Yavana".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fly Molo posted:

I do that all the time, no ‘sweet cultivar’ needed. They’re delicious. :colbert:

Yeah, it could just be a 'normal" onion. The modern palate is sugar gutted but in a world without HFCS etc a plain onion might be considered relatively sweet.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, it could just be a 'normal" onion. The modern palate is sugar gutted but in a world without HFCS etc a plain onion might be considered relatively sweet.
If grown in low sulfur soils, like those around Vidalia GA yep.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Imagine how mindbogglingly burning hot all those gimmicky super strong hot sauces would be to people in a world before the Columbian exchange brought chili peppers over where the spiciest thing you might taste is maybe black pepper.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

Imagine how mindbogglingly burning hot all those gimmicky super strong hot sauces would be to people in a world before the Columbian exchange brought chili peppers over where the spiciest thing you might taste is maybe black pepper.

I'm from the midwest and didn't build a tolerance until I was like 30, no imagining necessary

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Ehh or horseradish or mustard or long pepper. It's not like they had zero options.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Remulak posted:

If grown in low sulfur soils, like those around Vidalia GA yep.

Yeah, I was going to suggest that the soil probably made a big difference. Vidalia onions are renowned for their sweetness and mildness, and are genetically identical to onions raised elsewhere. Onions taken from Vidalia and grown elsewhere don't taste the same.

So there was probably a particular patch of land in Egypt that produced the sweet onions.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's plenty of strong spices in the old world but none of them are capsaicin

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I remember listening to Charlton Heston's commentary track for Ben-Hur and he described how the set decorator wanted some red foodstuff as a decoration in a scene when Judah and his family sit down to a meal and it turned into a bit of a difficulty because obviously they couldn't use tomatoes or red peppers. I forget what they ended up with.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Long pepper is much hotter than black pepper, similar to a chile in overall hit and also appearance (hence the confusion).

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I remember listening to Charlton Heston's commentary track for Ben-Hur and he described how the set decorator wanted some red foodstuff as a decoration in a scene when Judah and his family sit down to a meal and it turned into a bit of a difficulty because obviously they couldn't use tomatoes or red peppers. I forget what they ended up with.

...why not apples?

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, the Graekoi were the first Greek-speakers they ran into, which makes sense since they were so close to them on the peninsula. Then they called everybody they ran into after that who spoke the same language "Greeks" too, even though the Graekoi were the only ones who called themselves that. Rome seems to do this constantly to tons of cultures over the centuries. It's kind of their shtick.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

Are you former Australian prime minister Tony Abbott?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jade fish ornament, Western Zhou Dynasty, 11th century BC. It's 7 cm long.

Some sort of thing, polished stone, Aegean, 29th century BC. (The Cleveland Museum of Art says it might be a pot, or a lamp, and the holes might be for a lid or for hanging.)

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 26, 2020

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

In the USA there are pretty much two or three widely availiable sweet onions. You have Vidalia onions from the Carolina's, there is the Walla Walla Onion from Washington and an onion bred by Texas A&M and mostly grown there although I don't think it has a "trade name".

Even today, if you caramelize a non sweet yellow onion they end up pretty sweet.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Vidalia is in Georgia.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Arglebargle III posted:

Jade fish ornament, Western Zhou Dynasty, 11th century BC. It's 7 cm long.
One cool historical note is that the 'jade' that is most valued in China right now is jadeite jade, mostly from Burma--however this material was only introduced to China around 1800. Before then the material used was all nephrite jade, a different mineral entirely though with broadly similar properties. While the most treasured type today is jadeite with a rich emerald green color, nephrite was valued a bit differently throughout history and other colors like off-white 'mutton fat' nephrite were highly valued.
While jadeite is harder, nephrite is tougher (than almost anything else) which makes it incredibly good for intricate, highky detailed carvings, allowing delicate carved features that would just break or crumble off with a lesser stone type.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 26, 2020

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I've been trying to find out about Ancient Egyptian onions with not much luck, but I have to say that if you theoretically were to go to a website called libgen and your fingers by chance tap the keyboard to form the words Cambridge World History of Food, it's great entertainment. It's almost 2000 pages long and very detailed, I'm having a blast reading about onions, soybean, coconut and what have you. Most of what has ever been eaten or drunk by humans seems to be in there.

Digging a bit led me to the book Food In The Ancient World by Joan P. Alcock which had this to say:

quote:

In both Greece and Rome, however, onions seemed to have been regarded more as poor man's food. Apicius made great use of them, but Horace included them in his poor man's diet of onions, pulses, and pancakes. Pliny gave varieties of them, those with the strongest taste coming from Africa, followed by those from Gaul. Because a mature onion is mostly composed of water, they were placed in the moist category of vegetables and had numerous medical properties. Shallots known as "pearls," a Marsumian variety, were presumably as small as a cocktail onion and similar to the Egyptian variety. The standard lunch of the poorer classes in Egypt was bread, onions, and beer. As onions are compared to sound white teeth, they were presumably of a small variety. They were reputed to be of a mild, excellent quality and flavor, and were eaten raw as well as cooked. On the wall of the Aten Temple at Karnack was a sketch of a workman eating his lunch of bread, cucumber, and an onion. Onions and garlic formed part of the wages of the builders of Khufu's pyramid (2589-2566 B.C.). Onions are depicted growing close to water in Old Kingdom and New Kingdom reliefs. They were found wrapped in bodies ofmummies in tombs, often being placed in the armpits or the groin. Priests, however, were forbidden to eat them.

Makes sense, smaller onions often have a mild flavor. I was unable to find the sketch of a workman eating though.

Grevling fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 26, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Ehh or horseradish or mustard or long pepper. It's not like they had zero options.

Horseradish is often used to make pseudo-wasabi for example.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Funerary oil vessel, ceramic. Attica, late 5th century BC. (The cool time period.)

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/dapperhistorian/status/1265352701929545728?s=21

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Whoo that's a lot of sweeping left neglected.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Arglebargle III posted:

Whoo that's a lot of sweeping left neglected.

I was thinking maybe a mudslide.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s completely insane

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

VanSandman posted:

I was thinking maybe a mudslide.

Verona has a river too, it's certainly changed course and could've buried it. Hard to speculate without knowing the location.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The amount of skill and hard work that must have gone into making something like that purely by hand is insane.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

to think that Romeo and Juliet could have walked over that without knowing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I feel like this concerned Apollo has some meme potential.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Arglebargle III posted:

I feel like this concerned Apollo has some meme potential.

When your boy Chryses has a Chryseis crisis

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

When you sit down at Elagabulus' house.

Edit - when you're told to "carry that back to Apries."

Remulak fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 27, 2020