Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I got a question not greece/rome related, but ancient enough to qualify for this thread.

How did Sumerians wage war? I figured they would use simple spears, but did they use phalanxes or chariots? And were there professional soldiers or did the local king just press gang a bunch a people with low quality weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ras Het posted:

No they weren't? :confused:

But its such an outlandish and poetic explanation!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

That is depressingly ironic. The guy who wanted to reestablish learning and literacy to europe couldn't learn to read.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Alekanderu posted:

No ancient civilization had the means to kill literally every member of a nation/ethnicity/race, but then again that's not the definition of genocide either.

So how many Iberian celts have you met? Or gaulish celts? Or Etruscans? Or sabines? or....

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The pythagorians: Whats the deal with them? Is there any information about the out there other than "Crazy math cultists who assasinated people to keep knowledge of irrational numbers from spreading?"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I always get bit :stare: when I remember that the Romans had advertisements almost exactly like modern ones.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I desperately want to see that in latin as some Ivy league schools motto.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

He's kept bloody quiet about it since his city burned down in that case.

Mars was hungrier.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

When you add in "Welp, will of the gods v:v:v" as an accepted cause of death it gets tricky.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Amused to Death posted:

e: I for one look forward to 4,000 years from now where after 6 more world wars the only surviving documents of this decade are from Glenn Beck and future historians ponder on what went wrong in American society to make them ever elected a communist-nazi dictator hell-bent on building FEMA death camps and implementing death panels and Sharia law. That's definitely gonna wind up creating some interesting theories.

"I keep seeing this bizarre glyph appear in the old records. It appears to be a circle with 8 lines emerging from 2 sides, one of which appears to have a ring on it. What ever could it mean?"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I gotta wonder how it must have felt for the guys who were still nomadic, decide to go into a certain mountain pass and see a big rear end temple complex made of carved stone holy fuckballs.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Kassad posted:

Also to be pedantic... You mean 'conquer', not 'civilize'. Rome liked to talk itself up but the other nations of the time weren't particularly backwards in comparison except when it came to waging war building roads.

FTFY

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I really have to wonder what kind of royalty in europe actually takes themselves seriously anymore considering they stopped being relevant beyond ceremonial poo poo after World War 1.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

So is there any word on whether or not his habit of staring at the sun played a role in his death?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ancient Carthaginian Baal worship. 420 sacrifice children erry day 420 :unsmigghh:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Yeah, and where is the sun on the British Empire now? :smuggo:

"He who controls the plumbing controls the world" - Sun Tzu

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Why do people go back to those gods? They were all giant assholes. I don't get the motivation.

To be fair, Hades was pretty mellow compared to the other gods.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

The trick would be getting other people to believe you.

Thats easy. "Yeah man im from [far off empire no ones been to]. I was with an trade mission as a [insert what your trying to get hired as here]. We got attacked by [local mythological beast], I poo poo you not. Only survivor too, but it destroyed all my [medical texts, mathmatical proofs, whatever]."

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

JaucheCharly posted:

I think the bottomline of that whole conversation is, that if you manage to stay on a trail of an animal, you can chase it to death. You just stalk it until it drops from exhaustion. Works with deers et al. so I heard.

Its called endurance hunting, and its still practiced today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

JaucheCharly posted:

You could start by not feeding them.

Pretty much this. They're lampreys they do 2 things, feed and mate. You dont have to go out of your way to get them to attack stuff.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

We'll split it into two threads, that's always a good idea!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The best old gossip, I wish we had an existing copy of,"Lives of Famous Whores." :allears:

Im sad, because I know I'll never come up with a good a title as "Lives of Famous Whores".

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Cicero would be so disappointed in both of you :colbert:

Given he once won a defense by calling the plaintiff an adulterous slut, I doubt that.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Can you blame him? Agrippa :swoon:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

so how many roman emperors has The Thing impersonated?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

How are we measuring scientific advancement? Kilo-beakers (non-muslim of course)?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Did he at least have a beard magnificent enough to make people surrender to it?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ras Het posted:

So you just assume that things like coriander, cumin, fennel, thyme, oregano etc. ad infinitum weren't used?

If i recall there was an herb the Romans liked so much that they over-harvested it to extinction. They even put it on coins in North Africa. Cant remember what its called though.

Regardless, Spices can be pricey even now and days. Imagine how your average roman pleb is going to afford those in any meaningful amount.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Also, iirc, there was a contraceptive herb the Romans used to extinction

Truly a golden age we can never hope to recover :negative:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Doesnt that mean that literally every territory that was conquered by barbarians is a Continuation of the True Roman Empire?

this is all rather byzantine.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

What is Rome.

I am Rome. You are Rome. The Thread is Rome. All is Rome.

Except Han China, they're too cool to be Rome.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

You may substitute your quiz for a massive effortpost about cuneiform

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Not sure whats a better summary of this thread, the Suetonis Tiddlers Theory or this Atlantis clusterfuck :allears:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

have u guys shouted PI at him really loudly???

What would the Pythagoreans do?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

most of the thread

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe one day someone will find a copy of Lives of Famous Whores. :unsmith:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Several. I dont know nearly enough to go into detail, but Central America had the Olmecs who were settled enough to carve giant stone heads, and north america had the Mound builders in the South East, who build massive artificial hills 1000 years before the Great Pyramids were constructed. The areas around Kentucky and Ohio also had cultures who built their own mounds and also lived in fort-villages. As far as I know there were cities like these up till European contact caused small pox to kill off 90% of their population; at which point they went WELP I GUESS ITS BACK TO SQUARE ONE, THANKS WHITEY which reduced the scale of their civilization to what people popularly think of.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dalael posted:

I'm aware that plenty of civilization lived everywhere throughout North America during different periods. What I'm wondering is, their level of development. I find it curious that none of them seemed to have reached the level of development reached by the Greeks, Persians, Egyptiens, Incas, Mayas and so many ancient civilizations... and I wonder why that may be.

How do you define "Advanced"? To use your examples, what did they accomplish that the Maya, Olmec, or Pueblos didn't? North American civilization had pyramids by the dozens, astronomy and the mathematics to follow, and large cities (that are hard to excavate given many werent made of stone and have a suburb on top of them now).

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

So...Jesus is Bolivian? That must be why there are so many Roman Catholics in South America! It...it all makes so much sense!

Why not? We already know hes chinese, korean, and Ethiopian!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Elyv posted:

Are you talking about the Codex Alera series, or is there another Jim Butcher author out there? Because Codex Alera was (loosely) inspired by ancient Rome but is unapologetically fantasy.

He literally wrote it on a dare to cross pokemon with the lost legion how the hell can you be literate and think its meant to be a historical peace