Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Cervixalot posted:

I'm getting pretty close to the end of The History of Rome podcast, and looking for a book or another podcast to pick up where it leaves off. I've got the History of Byzantium podcast in my feed ready to check out, but I think i'm more interested in continuing the history of the kings, military and development of Western Europe.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History delves into immediately post-collapse in the west in his Thor's Angels podcast, ending with the ascension of Charlemagne, which was pretty rad. I'd love a book/podcast that covers the transition of late antiquity into the middle ages for the West, preferably more modern as not to fall into the trap of viewing this period as the 'Dark Ages'- any recommendations?

This Open Yale podcast course on the Early Middle Ages (284-1000) is pretty good: http://oyc.yale.edu/history/hist-210

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

sbaldrick posted:

The last people that we know worship the old Greek/Roman gods in any real way where in the hills in Peloponnese in the 11th century and even then it was more like a local cult. This came out of a recent (couple of years old) study in the area.

Beyond that we have no real knowledge of when various religions ended their existences.

Don't suppose you've got a link/ name of the study?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Don Gato posted:

I've got an odd question, but does anyone know of any good books on the Roman Empire that are simple enough for a kid to read? My cousin hates reading and as a result reads way below her grade level since she never reads but she likes it when I tell her stories of Rome during car rides. My thinking is that if she gets a book of a subject she's actually interested vs something her school is forcing her to read, she'll actually read it and then get better at reading and save her a lot of headaches down the road.
Not Rome, or strictly history, but http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Ships...ips+before+troy i

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I feel really stupid for not being able to find this, but does anyone have a link to Livy's story of Romulus and Remus in Latin? I'm only finding English translations and I want to gently caress with my students tomorrow.

I think this is all of Ab Urbe Condita in latin: http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/liv.html

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone please recommend me a couple books on the history of the Islamic Caliphates.

Anything by Hugh Kennedy is good- The Great Arab Conquests, the Prophet and the age of the Caliphates, etc.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

a woman in the channel islands stopped a highway expansion this year by kneeling in the middle of the street and praying loudly in norman french

The Channel Islands aren't in the UK.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Tias posted:

and her trve name is.. Seoul :v:

Funny way of spelling Heksinki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Livia did 9/11