Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I know serial killer chat was a few pages ago but I imagine that much like how early modern serial or spree killers seem to have been seen as being werewolves and/or warlocks and/or possessed by evil spirits. I imagine that something similar might apply to Roman serial killers. That is to if a number of people started going missing or showing up dead it would rather be blamed on supernatural forces than human killers.
But of course since there aren't really any sources this is just pure speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I know Commodus was really into gladiator combat and had a thing for slashing animals to bits in front of people but is there any truth to the story that he had a large number of mentally and physically disabled people rounded up, armed and thrown into an arena for his amusement?
or is it one of of those false propaganda claims like a lot of the stories about Nero?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Frosted Flake posted:

I've always wondered - How did the Ethiopian Orthodox church come about?

I've always wondered how Bob Geldof and co could wonder if the Ethopians knew it was Christmas when Ethiopia has been christian for a lot longer than England or most parts of Europe for that matter.

If I remember correctly the missionaries that converted the king of Ethiopia in the fourth century were Syrians.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 24, 2012

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Agesilaus posted:

As for it being filtered through thousands of years of civilization, that sort of process only increases its value where countless generations have meditated on ancient words of wisdom, and if the moderns upset you then just stick to primary sources and ignore the latter people altogether.

The wisdom of the ancients:

"The one who buggers a fire burns his penis"

"Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!"

"I screwed the barmaid"

I think you might actually be on to something.

Where can I sign up and why do I suspect that black shirts are part of the uniform?

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 21, 2012

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I was thought that before Europe started colonizing the poo poo out of everything there wasn't really an idea of there being such a thing as a monolithic and superior White people. People defined themselves more by what ethnicity they were off and what religion they had than the colour of their skin. There was of course a lot of xenophobia but a medieval Castilian or Basque would despise the Moors more for being filthy foreigners and infidels than he would care about their skin color. Although if they were to meet an Ethiopian, who would most likely be Christian*, they would probably assume he probably be assumed to be a Moor simply because he was black. Kind of like how everyone even vaguely Middle Eastern was assumed to be a Turk when the Ottoman Empire was bogeyman to most of Europe(except the French who had a thing with the Turks ).

Grand Fromage posted:

You're looking at it wrong. It wasn't a decline in quality but a change in style. At the time of Augustus, hyper realism was the popular style.

One of the things I loved about the Asterix cartoons and comics is that most of the historical characters are based on descriptions and statues and such. So their Julius Caesar is actually recognizable as a caricature of Caesar etc. All thinks to those rascally Romans making realistic statues.

*and thus know very well if it was Christmas, Mr.Geldof.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 28, 2012

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Imagine if a couple of thousands years from now somehow enough of contemporary sources will get lost or muddled for future generations to be certain that the ancient president Barack HUSSEIN Obummer was a mad communist tyrant who set up death panels and ate dogs for dinner every night and played electric guitar while the forests burned.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 1, 2012

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grand Fromage posted:

That's one of the many ideas. There's evidence of a gigantic eruption in Iceland around the mid 1100s BCE that probably cooled the Earth a few degrees, which could've started a huge famine.

This sounds pretty likely since there was a catastrophic eruption in Iceland in the 1780's that caused the death of one in every five Icelanders as well as 75% of the livestock and affected the climate on the mainland enough to cause widespread crop failure.
Something like that could easily have happened before.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 15, 2012

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hip Flask posted:

I read somewhere that the king of Denmark (ruler of Iceland) seriously contemplated evacuating the entire icelandic population, because the whole situation was so fubar.
Might not be very true, though.

The Danish authorities actually planned moving all the survivors to northwestern Denmark but when someone actually sat down and did the math they figured out that they would have to send a large number of ships back and forth hundreds of times and that it would take years and cost ghastly amounts of money so just trying to do what was possible to make things in Iceland a bit more tolerable was probably a little less impossible and much less likely to bankrupt the state. Of course it was only about 40.000 people but that's still a lot of boats and since all urbanization was resisted and legislated against by the Icelandic upper classes the population was spread over a somewhat large area and often mountainous with almost no roads* all of which would make evacuation a slow and painful process.

I've seen the areas in Denmark where they were going to put everyone. It looked quite nice. A bit more barren than most of Denmark but quite pleasant by Icelandic standards.

I could go on but it would all be outside the scope of the thread since it isn't very ancient or Greco-Roman.

*Travelling from eastern Iceland to Reykjavik by land took longer than jumping on the next ship to Copenhagen and then taking a ship from there to Iceland.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doesn't China have some myth about how surnames were invented by a ancient god-king or something along those lines?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Christoff posted:

Born again bible thumping Christian family member assures me that Rome fell because of homosexuality

They were loving dudes right from the start, if God cursed Rome because of the gayness he sure took his sweet time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's sort of funny how much emphasis 300 puts on the Persians having an army of slaves considering that the reason the Spartans could all be soldiers is that they had slaves to do all the actual work. Not to mention the fact that Zoroastrianism, the state religion in the Persian empire, frowns on slavery. There was of course some slavery but it was never on the same scale as in Greece and almost all slaves were prisoners of war. It's not really my field but I know that under the Sassanids there was a bunch of laws on how you could only keep foreigners who weren't Zoroastrians as slaves and you couldn't beat them or mistreat them and if they converted they could buy their freedom.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Baconroll posted:

Sad bit of ancient history news - King Tut's burial mask has been dropped and the large ornate beard snapped off...Then has been crudely epoxied back into place and then they managed to smear some epoxy on the face as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30931369

It's so badly done that it makes it almost hilarious.

PittTheElder posted:

(save the lack of helmets, done for obvious TV reasons, and it apparently makes GRRM furious)

When I started reading the books it was very amusing to me how everyone and their dog seems to be wearing some sort of elaborate decorated helmet. The decoration usually taking some elements from their coat of arms. It's not really practical to have really big antlers on your helmet that your opponent could use to drag you down and murder you but it isn't much of an exaggeration on the sort of fancy helmets nobles had made in the late-medieval to early-modern era. I understand why they toned that down for the TV show though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hogge Wild posted:

Tell me about Caligula's reign.

This is pretty good documentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16oTlXL5E0c

There is also an alternative cut that randomly cuts to some lesbians lesbianining in a very cheap set shot totally differently from the rest of the film by the producer after he fired the director for wanting to use ugly women in sex scenes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Which Third Rome is Thirdest Rome?
-Ottoman Empire
-German Empire
-Bulgaria
-Russia
-Serbía
-Austria
-Fascist Italy (Only one to actually have Rome but also really poo poo)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is that the mod where the Garamantes have like 40 really wealthy counties that weren't in the base game and the Ostrogoth coat of arms has a Nazi eagle in it?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've seen "Greek Catholic" used a couple of times but I think people generally prefer to talk about Orthodox to avoid needless confusion.

Catholic is a Greek word though so you'd think it would've become synonymous with the Greek church rather than the Roman one.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 26, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kanine posted:

So in pre-European Central/South American cultures, were llamas/alpacas handled the same way cows were in Europe at the time? I vaguely remember reading that there were no large meat sources for the aztecs (or mayas or inca?) Why didn't they breed llamas/alpacas en masse? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

They didn't keep llamas indoors though which means they didn't build up as much of a resistance to bacteria and microbes and poo poo as Old Worlders who had spent millennia wallowing in the piss and poo poo from the animals they were constantly in contact with.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Couldn't hurt to try.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I learned more history from Total War and Age of Empire's than school before I went to university.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I make a hard copy of all my facebook statuses by engraving it into huge slabs of granite I keep in a cave. Thousands of years from now archaeologists will be amazed to find a perfectly preserved treasure trove of corny jokes and bad puns.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"Early 21st century humans were still learning how to use the relatively new technology of computers and would therefore sometimes accidentally insert pictures of ecstatic cats into their work."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I was digging through some drawers at my parent's house and found some old history homework from when I was 10 or 11. It was about some Roman coins that were found in Iceland and asked students to theorize on how they ended up so far away from Rome several centuries after the fall of the empire. Now most likely they were already really old when they got here and someone just picked them up when trading somewhere else in Europe but the answer I wrote was that the Romans were obviously trying to find America but took a wrong turn and ended up in Iceland.

I was the Daleal of my class.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The resolution on the letters is really low in some of the first and last panels making it pretty uncomfortable to read.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 4, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Personally I think we should split this thread into a eastern thread and western thread and then after both of those are in the archives we can argue which thread was the actual thread and have a bunch of threads each claiming to be the one and only true successor to the original thread.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Those videos are probably getting some people interested in history who would otherwise give no fucks about it and they do videos about stuff the average westerner would probably never hear about like the Zulu Empire and Sengoku Jidai period ibut the high pitched voice gimmick is tiresome and it's all a bit Great Man History for my taste.

Crash Course History is the far superior YouTube history thingamajig.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I find it somewhat strange how Norse paganism is much better known then Baltic/'Romuva' paganism. When the latter lasted almost 400 years longer.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mister Olympus posted:

That's because the Vikings eventually wrote their stuff down. IIRC when Baltic paganism was being stamped out, there was a distinct effort not to record anything about it besides the most superficial details only heard of.

Yeah but all we know about Norse paganism is from texts written by Christians in the 13th century. When the Lithuanians still had more than a century of paganism left in them and you'd expect them to at least have written something about their own religion in that time. Maybe I'm just being Icelandocentric and unfairly expecting everyone to have a bunch of preserved and often copied medieval texts laying around.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

goose fleet posted:

Plus, despite what insane libertarians would try to have you believe, raw milk is seriously gross and carries a potential shitload of bacteria that will do anything from give you the shits to kill you, possibly both.

Only if it's old because it spoils a lot faster and tends to spoil worse.

Fresh raw milk is perfectly ok and what most people drank for centuries before pasteurization was invented.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's disgusting but it's still food. Where I come from people eat fermented shark and sheep testicles that have been boiled and cured in lactic acid. It's all very disgusting but back in the day people ate it to keep themselves from starving and curing and fermenting it made sure it lasted longer so you could build up stores. People today eat it because it's traditional or something.

People will eat basically anything to not starve.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SlothfulCobra posted:

How many different numeric systems were there in the ancient world?

Presumably a shitload seeing as there are still quite a lot of variation in our heavily globalized world:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4bmZ1gRqCc

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 11, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lord Protector Jörgen Jörgensen of Iceland was the greatest king of them all.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Emperor Pedro II of Brazil was pretty awesome.

He did eventually get tossed out by a coup though.

It's Latin America. Who doesn't eventually get tossed out by a coup?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Theoderic the Great was the best Roman emperor.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

And where the gently caress is Commodus?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doctor Malaver posted:

Are there any movies or other recordings with actors speaking Latin? Proper Latin, like what we think it sounded at the time the movie takes place.

The only one that comes to mind is Derek Jarman's Sebastiane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bmvVZX9Frc
If you don't like somewhat homoerotic arthouse films than it's probably not your bag.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

hailthefish posted:

"Somewhat homoerotic" is a wild understatement.

Similarly another famous film of Jarman's, Blue, has a bit off a bluish tint over it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I imagine this sort of thing was more common in the days when borders where looser:

That's parts of Pakistan within parts of India within parts of Pakistan.

Unrelated:

When did Greek start becoming the dominant language of the Roman upper class?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"The past is a foreign country". People in the past were still just as human as we are but the culture they lived in, even in cases where we live in the same state as they did, is so drastically different that their ideas about anything from borders to love to violence might be very alien to us. A lot of things we think are self explanatory and common sense are fairly recent concepts.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 30, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Don't know why Turkish nationalists would care much about ancient Turkey since there weren't any Turks in Anatolia until much much later.

However it would be totally logical for them to demand the reclamation of the lands held by the Gökturk khaganate

Which is obviously basically the same thing as modern Turkey because it has "Turk" in the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"Fabricatvm Diem, Pvnc"
-Aenrichvs Spvrcvs