Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Practically every book I've read about the (first batch of) roman civil wars has either an introduction or an appendix where they apologize for using Pompey instead of Pompeius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

fishmech posted:

Josh Christ.

Wouldn't it be Joshua Christ?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Grevling posted:

Bullshit. He clearly had a divine and a human nature which are separate. Learn the facts.

Even Monophysites accept Nicaea

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The vast majority of our sources from the period are basically Caesarean propaganda, right? Both Caesar himself and Augustus had a huge vested interest in portraying Caesar as the best guy ever.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If and when the American republic falls it will look nothing like how the Roman republic fell, and I wish people would stop making the comparison (except to point out that people can be living in a state on life support without realizing it).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Wasn't grain basically free in Rome and Constantinople for significant chunks of time because that was the only way to prevent riots?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ainsley McTree posted:

They couldn't have been very good

Wasn't the usual complaint leveled at Nero that he bought up all the burned land, not that he was incompetent at fighting the fire? (Plus conspiracy theories that say he set the fire but that isn't inconsistent with him fighting it competently since he only wanted part of the city to burn in that scenario).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
We're gonna be real loving embarrassed when we adopt this calendar and archeologists find a temple from 1000 BHE somewhere

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Let's start the calendar in 3200 BC with the first person whose name we know, Kushim the barley seller. We live in 5217 AK, after Kushim

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wish the French Revolution was after World War 1 so I could smugly shitpost about how Napoleon was the last Roman emperor

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Didn't he claim to be Holy Roman Emperor? In theory that authority was derived from the Pope (though Napoleon crowned himself). At the very least it has "Roman" in the name, which is sufficient for a shitpost

e: Apparently not, I dunno where I got that into my head.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I change my shitpost to Rome falling in 1806 when Francis II abdicated

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You gotta admire how Diocletian, in an attempt to end civil war forever, constructed a system literally guaranteed to cause civil war

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

fishmech posted:

Even relatively modern cities end up built that way. Especially when you have cities built where there were originally lots of hills and valleys, it's not uncommon in the least to lop off the tops of hills and dump it into the valleys, often over existing buildings that have been partially stripped for materials and bam - nice level land to build your new stuff on.

Or you have stuff like Seattle or Chicago where the "land" level of the downtown was intentionally raised with fill, turning floors that used to be ground level into a new basement in buildings that stayed standing, and burying the foundations and low floors of other buildings entirely, which later had new buildings built on top. In Seattle in particular, the new ground level was as high as 30 feet above the old, meaning old low lying buildings were often just abandoned during the process - particularly since the idea to raise the ground level came in the aftermath of a large fire in the city that had already ruined tons of the buildings in question.

And you can go on a kickass tour of the old Seattle sitting beneath the current one

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Agriculture was a mistake

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ras Het posted:

Yeah. I mean, obviously agriculture has its great advantages, but it came packed with a horrific death cult society

are you for real

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Egypt probably has some really exciting stuff still waiting to be discovered, because deserts are superb at preserving written documents which would have rotted away in a wetter climate.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I work with lidar for a much less interesting reason but I'm glad my chosen field has detected a bunch of ruins in the Amazon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wonder if they used the super tacky bright colors because they actually liked them, or if it was because those paints were the easiest/cheapest to produce with the technology of the time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is syphilis new?

First definitely-attested case was in 1493 or 1494. It's a popular but unproven theory that it was the sole major disease to jump from the new world to the old world, as opposed to vice versa.

e: It apparently used to be way nastier too--modern syphilis produces genital sores and even untreated takes years to kill its victim. Old syphilis produced sores all over the body, made your flesh slough off, and killed in months.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pontius Pilate posted:

Or Italian cuisine without the tomato.

Or Thai cuisine without chili peppers

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Basically every animal we eat is old world, and the majority of good-tasting vegetables are new world. Fruit and fish seem to be about evenly split from what I can tell.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ChaseSP posted:

And potatoes were thought to be unappetizing for a long time due to belief of being poisonous I believe.

Well, that one makes sense, because every part of the potato plant other than the root is toxic. That's why you have to cut any eyes out.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

feedmegin posted:

Don't forget there were other root vegetables though. Turnips, parsnips etc.

Corn, Potatoes, and Sweet Potatoes did revolutionize farming in many parts of the old world though, by being much more suitable to a bunch of parts of the world than the local domesticates were.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If I had to subsist on only one staple crop I'd choose potatoes in a heartbeat

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The train seems like a good bet to me tbh. Eat poo poo German barbarians, the legions from the Persian border are only a day away.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

fishmech posted:

And you're powering it with what? Practical steam engine based rail needs very high quality steel compared to what the Romans generally knew how to make after all - because otherwise your steam engine is just going to blow itself to bits and kill anyone standing near it when it goes.

I may not actually know very much about trains

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My understanding is that a basic smallpox vaccine is pretty braindead simple--just take the crushed up remains of an infected person's pocks, let them sit for a bit to be sure the viruses are dead, then snort them. This has a much higher fatality rate than modern vaccines, but is still much much better than actually catching smallpox.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rockopolis posted:

Bicycles? The legions will ride to the battlefield in a clatter of bells and cries of "Ciao!"

Rubber wheels require a new world plant

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Was ancient paper actually any better than papyrus/parchment? Because china had paper by like 100 BC so that one was definitely possible with ancient technologies.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Doctor Malaver posted:

I could probably do better than this.

...what am I looking at here, exactly?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I dunno about the historical authenticity of a random youtube channel but youtube does have videos claiming to be Roman music.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Bubonic plague only came around in 600 AD or so and that one seems like a good candidate for biological warfare against the roman state (since that's apparently what we're talking about now?)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A special printing press that can only print manga will revolutionize the ancient world

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dalael posted:

What about hot air balloons? Is there really any limitations that would prevent Romans from building some? Seeing a battlefield from the air in the ancient time would probably be a game changer.

I don't know a ton about how hot air balloons work but I assume a wood fire either doesn't get hot enough or is too uncontrollable to not burn the entire balloon down

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Actually I assume that as long as your fuel is wood you're probably out of luck because a hot air balloon has to lift its own fuel and wood is heavy. I haven't done the math but I wouldn't be surprised if you have to have a much denser fuel to make it all work.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Lone Badger posted:

Couldn't you just wrap your message around a brick and drop it? Let the cavalryman assigned as liaison retrieve it.

Drop a slave to relay the message, slaves are cheaper than bricks and this way you don't need a literate balloon operator

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

fishmech posted:

The Union Army were the ones who used balloons the most. The Confederates only made 3 balloons (for obvious reasons, they had a hard time getting suitable material for the balloon itself), and 2 of them got captured by the Union before they could see serious use.

Oh I got confused by the conversation and was making a joke about a hypothetical roman balloon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

130k years ago is a really really long time ago. Checking the wiki page, it isn't even universally agreed that Homo Sapiens had left Africa by then. Assuming the dating is accurate (the article makes the claim that the marks themselves were dated, not just the tusk, but I always thought you couldn't do that and that was one of the major weaknesses of dating technology) this is really cool. And in California too, not just the relatively easier to reach Alaska.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dalael posted:

Even if a group of hominids made it this far that early, it doesn't mean it was a mass migration either. Could be 2 dozen people who found their way there and soon died out.

That would still mean that either Homo Erectus or whatever had oceanworthy boats or that they managed to trek from Siberia all the way to California, both of which would be pretty cool.