Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've always found the Hittite laws so fun because they try really hard to be very specific but without the full context and looking at them thousands of years later it's the "that just raises further questions!" scene from Futurama.

I remember reading lots of them in a Hittite course and every day would be just sounding out these ridiculous laws word by laborious word. I'm sad that it was all in transliteration though, cuneiform is fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
This crowd would be very welcome on breadnroses.net I think, there's a Bread (not fully poo poo posting) side "pseudointellectual navel gazing" forum that already has a history thread

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Boy I can't wait to get shrieked at for being the wrong kind of historian there.

no one is getting "shrieked at" there unless they are US-standards right wing

edit: almost anywhere you post or even do anything in your normal life is run by hard-right loving lunatics, but you don't get shrieked at here for not being a Nazi even though Lowtax is chummy with the gamergate crowd, you don't get shrieked at at a store even though they're run by monstrous far-right plutocrats, etc. You spend most of your life trying to exist as a normal person in hard right spaces and I think it's unfair to think that it would be not only worse but impossibly worse just because a place is run by caring community-minded people vs sociopathic oligarchs

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 25, 2020

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Discussing prehistory is hosed because if you don't have journal access you really can't do much larnin' about archaeology.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

I assume you're talking about BNR so I'm gonna slap my own case on the line here. This is purely my own situation.

I have had a non-trivial number of cases where people I know who define themselves proudly as leftists have yelled at me for "being a loving lib," etc. in contexts not involving explicit political discussion, because I personally favored the other progressive in the Democratic primary. This has included long time friends, some of whom are not friends any more. I did not really seek out these discussions.

If a similar phenomenon of someone walking into, say, an ancient history thread and posting liberals liberals LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS!! like the Mallard Fillmore guy happened (say, in the context of people discussing 17th/18th century political thinkers), would the rules and regulations at BNR treat this as the problem being on Mr. Liberals Liberals Liberals?

Yeah I mean their main rule is basically don't be an rear end in a top hat, so I think if someone is trying to drag a thread off course with personal attacks then it's not going to be tolerated.