Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Grand Fromage posted:

Or get a degree in Roman history and everyone will assume it.

I still get friends I've known for like a decade asking me to translate Latin for them and I have to remind them I have never so much as opened a Latin textbook or taken a minute of class.

E: People might be curious how this works. Basically you do your bachelor's in history. When you move on to grad school, there are two paths: classics and history. If you go for classics, every program I've seen requires you to be functional in Latin, Ancient Greek, and two of the four modern languages that classical scholarship is done in: English, French, Italian, or German. History, you don't need to know poo poo about languages.

That seems like it would limit your interaction with the primary texts somewhat, tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

CommonShore posted:

I'm listening to the history of Byzantium and i love the demes so much

So this is by someone not the History of Rome podcast guy (the Revolutions guy), nor is it by the Fall of Rome podcast guy?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The History of Byzantium podcast has been slow lately since the host is getting married and also doing his Istanbul documentary. In the mean time I've really been enjoying The History of the Papacy and Beyond the Big Screen (covers historical movies) by Stephen Guerra, The History of England which has a surprisingly large number of characters in common with Byzantium, The History of the Vikings podcast and the In Our Time: History show by the BBC.

Someone should fan-edit these Pulp Fiction style.

123 Not It.

E: Is there a good history podcast thread?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
There was a maritime history podcast that did a bunch about the early Bosporus. Can't remember what it was called though.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cyrano4747 posted:

HeyGuns sighs as he draws his pike.

:suspense:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bobby Digital posted:

poo poo really? I read that it was putrefying in the palace.

I mean, we're all putrefying, just slowly. Papa Nurgle always gets his own.

:shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arglebargle III posted:

This is really beyond the scope of the thread, but there's a weird and complex nexus of atheism and "islamophobia" which is itself a really hard term to unpack as it involves racism, orientalism, religious strife, political oppression, national identity, immigration, and more. The idea that a guy who is vocal about hating organized religion and a Swede who doesn't like all the new people in town who don't speak the language and an American in Deerborn MI who's heard that they've got Shakira Law some place are all the same is reductive and fairly useless.

And now I can't get the idea of Judge Dredd singing "hips don't lie" out of my head. So, you know, thanks? Thanks for that...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

fishmech posted:

Is a thagomizer good for breaking a phalanx? :v:

No one said anything about stegos.

:mad:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Does anyone have a link to that Rome video series? They just covered Caesar's return to Rome.

I went back like 15 pages but couldn't find it, sorry.

:(

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cheetah7071 posted:

I think you mean the youtube channel Historia Civilis

:tipshat:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Platystemon posted:

He said “tactics”, not “strategy”. :smuggo:

:nsavince:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Why are we "burying the lede" (as the kids say these days) and talking about riots when we could be discussing erotic oil lamps?

:confused:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Silver2195 posted:

Lol, punk rebel ecks is doing that thing he always does in D&D where he pops into a country-specific thread and asks stupid questions about it, but this time the country is the Roman Republic.

Goddamnit, that's my gimmick.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cheetah7071 posted:

This is physics not history but everything is moving away from everything else. There is no central point of origin. The space itself is "stretching" rather than galaxies "moving".

The analogy I always found helpful was the surface of a balloon being blow up. The balloon itself is stretching, and there's no point on the surface of the balloon that everything is moving away from.

But what's on the inside of the balloon, what media is the balloon filling with, what is the balloon filling into?

This is like one of those "observable universe > (speed of light)*(time since big bang)" things, isn't it?

:ohdear:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It turns out Copernicus was wrong and the Earth is the center of the universe?

:ohdear:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

skasion posted:

The true reason Copernicus was wrong is that you can’t observe anything on the sun because your eyeballs would melt. Checkmate atheists

You can if you look at night?

:milk:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
All Hail Hannegan, Ruler of Great Texarkana.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Um, discussions of U.S. Navy flightplans belong in the Airpower thread?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ynglaur posted:

This was very helpful in explaining this. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJhRPBJPoO0

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

chitoryu12 posted:

I usually use ligma coal in mine.

What's a usually?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

chitoryu12 posted:

USUALLY MY BALLS SCHADENBONER

Ok, but where are the Ligmas of Yesteryear?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

skasion posted:

“musty odor”

:actually: I think you'll find that's the sweet scent of the collected wisdom of generations seeping from the graven pages?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FAUXTON posted:

Roman/ancient history: OSHA *Latin for 'would not approve of'* SPQR

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HEY GUNS posted:

what does this imply about the transylvanian katana in the dresden schatzkammer...

Simon Belmont sighed as he unsheathed his zweihander...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SlothfulCobra posted:

Rome 3: The Romaning

"The Romanoving"

:cmon:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So, in the post-Roman world (an indeterminate point by which time people were no longer were running around Western Europe in lorica segmentata and red leather miniskirts) how does a guy living in Rome refer to the ruler of the Empire-We-Used-To-Call-Byzantine-But-Now-We-All-Seem-To-Call-Them-Roman-Too-Even-Though-That's-Hella-Confusing? By what term does he refer to this political entity?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

skasion posted:

Having meaningful last words was a Homeric/heroic thing (which is to say it was very deeply ingrained). Cool guys are supposed to have something to say as they’re going.

I mean, it's hard to beat "Either this wallpaper goes or I do" as parting shots?

Probably apocryphal but :drat:.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Alhazred posted:

Considering that only twenty of seventy emperors died of natural causes, practicing how you might die wasn't that dumb.

The ratio was even worse when it was happening to 'ol Julius, too!

:v:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It took me a minute to figure out the punchline and there's a litany of ways that this joke doesn't work.

Yeah, he should be swearing by Jove (maybe Juno I guess), good point.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Silver2195 posted:

Only if you assume a pre-Constantine setting.

:hmmyes:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So what you're saying is, the joke is kinda byzantine

:boom:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean, sometimes you want photorealism (or as close as you can get) and sometimes you just want art. Like, in modern society, we could easily have the seal of the united states be a photoshopped eagle for ultra-realism, but it's still a stylized drawing.

Weirdo.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dupondius isn't angry, just disappointed.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

CommonShore posted:

I'd love to know the difference between a "gastropub," "pub," and "tavern." And once you have your answer finalized, we'll reveal that we're discussing it in a particular geographical location different from the one you were assuming.

The price of the beer?

:shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Grand Fromage posted:

There are reasons. Slings are harder to use than bows and even if you're good with it, they tend to be less accurate. Bows are quicker to shoot if you're practiced. Also, medieval bows and arrows were deadlier than their ancient equivalent. You can't make specialized armor piercing heads or anything like that with a sling. In the ancient world slings and bows had more of a parity, but there's not a ton of technological improvement you can do to a sling compared to what was done with bows.

This is all true but the single largest cause was probably the Halfling Great Families all moving south through the Pyrenees then across the Straits of Gibraltar in the mid-350s?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 29, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dalael posted:

If you click this link (Not a rick roll), it'll bring you straight to the Lupanar one of the most famous brothel in pompeii. This is a pretty nice 4k video so you can clearly see the details of the frescos. There is no mistaking this building for anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUYJ8LbF1Ys&t=5643s

loving sex tourists... I mean, I'm sure there's some other reason to go to Italy. Not sure what it would be, but :cmon:.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

WoodrowSkillson posted:

10 hours of content on the fall of the republic is not really superficial.

Oh, my sweet summer child.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

In it, voted 5.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PittTheElder posted:

All those right angles in the aqueduct feel like interesting decisions.

Not In My Domus' Back Yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fuschia tude posted:

Whoops I thought I posed this before. Uh, enjoy a three-week-old reply I guess:

:justpost::posthaste: