Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Just saw this in the Rome 2 thread and was wondering how accurate this video might be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_fpOUQcAac

also how well received are Roman Historical reenactors in academia? Are they just relegated to history channel shows?

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

a friend of mine does some work on core samples from the Marmara sea and she was telling me how there is a drastic change in pollen types during the rise of the different civilizations.

Its amazing how drastically the environment in the Mediterranean has been changed by human interaction. Arn't most of the plants/trees found in the Bosphorus area in one way or the other cultivated/used for human consumption? I believe the only old growth forest present in the Mediterranean region is the Forest of the Cedar of Gods in Lebanon?

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 22, 2013

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

They could have followed some 'minor' character like titus pullo dealing with daily life and finding jesus and becoming a revolutionary. I just wanted more titus pullo and lucius varinus.

So who would be christian converts at the time btw? Was there a political and economic dimension to the rise of christianity at the time?

(Im just asking this because from what I understand busdhism was both a problem to the ruling class and such a sucess amongst people because it sought to do away with the cast system/worldly posessions etc in a certain way)

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 23, 2013

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Im in athens right now and was just blown away by the arheological museam (saw the antikythera mechanism etc). Im going back there again tomorrw. Does anyone want pictures of specific exibits?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Are these thesis's correct?

quote:

The ancient Greeks liked porches.
-Classical Archaeology, UNC-Chapel Hill

quote:

The Roman Empire was the biggest show in town. Until the Barbarians started running the show.
-Archaeology, Cambridge UK

quote:

Lots of indigenous European societies had feminist ideals, but they all were replaced with sexist ones once the Romans conquered them.
-History, Occidental College.

http://lolmythesis.com/

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 23, 2013

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I remember a poster here that was doing archivist stuff where they had some documents relating to Irish farmers and the Catholic church. If you are still around is there any way to contact you to talk about it? I have a friend that is doing his masters in Irish studies and was really interred in talking to you.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 10, 2016

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I think it's going to help support the growing hypothesis (or at least my awareness of it has been growing) that basically the entire land surface of the planet is human-made and virtually everywhere has been inhabited.

Tangentially related to archeology or history, but within geology and climate/environmental sciences, there is a push to use the term Anthropocine as a recognition that humans have been the major shapers of evnviroment. Right now the debate is over when the age of anthropocine starts (post industrialization as when we start drastically changing the environment or even further before). People are begening to see we have been changing the environment from long before we thought capable. I can't remember the exact term, but there is now a geological term for a strata that has a large deposit of microscopic plastic eg.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Does anyone have a good article on Hasankeyfe in turkey? It's a huge cave city (now just a town soon to be underwater due to a dam) next to the tigris river. I was just there and went hiking to the old city/citadel and it blew my mind. All info I could find were some knocked over signs saying it's been inhabited for over 4000 years.

Can't post pictures because imgur is blocked by turkey...

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

euphronius posted:

Does anyone have a good rec for a social history book of classical times. Like "how women and children lived" and what normal people did.

Getting tired of phalanxes.

You could read Mary Beards stuff. You could also watch them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rggk_H3jEgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnIY6AE4m6E

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Uh are you absolutely sure of that? Can you elaborate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhist_art

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

You ever drink a jug of carlo rossi using just one hand and those tiny glass handles? Kinda like that.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Are there any recorded cases of something like battlefield PTSD surviving from ancient sources? Dan Carlin kinda touches on that in his persian wars podcast episodes but he's not a historian.

While this is not a necessarily a historical work, Simon Weil's essay 'iliad, or the poem of force' is a very interesting read on the way violence and the way it affects people. I would highly recommend it. After having read it, the different descriptions of violence present in the Iliad begin to look like what a person with ptsd would write.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

There is a restaurant in Istanbul that serves food that is made using recepies from ottoman times and many of them are before the introduction of new world crops.

http://www.asitanerestaurant.com/English/

I made the lamb in melon recipe and it was fantastic. Lots of butter and fat, with sweet and savory flavors. It definitely has allot of similar flavor profiles to Japanese cuisines umami flavor.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Flaming pigs would probably scare them away real quick. TW Rome taught me alot.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

One of the monks used to have sex with it. If what I have read from this thread is any indication its most likely about sex.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Are there any good books on the Indian subcontinent? I know that this is a huge area, but are there any good books relating to the Indus valley, ashokas reign and related histories of empires and cultures?

The only time I really see any mention of that area is when Alexander is mentioned or about the helenization of Buddhist art etc (or the current primnister talking out of his rear end about how Hindus invented everything).

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

At least if the dozens of Yakuza films I've seen are even remotely accurate. Which they probably aren't.

I worked one summer at a onsen/resort town that was frequented by yakuza people off season and got to see that in person. They would also do these body mods where they would place beads(?) under the skin of their penis to give it a ribbed feature.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Roman bathing culture was heavily influence by Japanese bathing culture as shown in this documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOmFSflNiQU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I'm trying to visualize different major monuments/moments in history encompassing the globe. Is there a good timeline image that shows this? Something which posits for example death of Caesar along side the terracotta army etc. Thinking about the pyramids of Giza still blows my mind at how far back it was made.

Eidt: also if people could post more about megaliths. I love them and want to know more!

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 21, 2018

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Milo Manara has you covered: https://imgur.com/rHJE1I3 (it's obviously not worksafe)

nice

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

i would gladly drape myself in cameos and carnelian, my dude. By get rid of, what price do you mean?

Around the same price as most semi-precious stone. Like 8~10$ a carat. The price rises depending on how it's set and quality of work by the gem polisher/setter. It's really cheap in Nepal and India. Getting them custom made is a relatively easy and cheap. People still use it instead of rubies or corals for signet rings if they can't afford those. My dad had a carnelian Ganesh signet ring that he wore through his youth till he could afford a coral ring of the same type.

If you are in the US, you can buy bags of them of varying quality for really cheap (30~40$) at gem conventions.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Grand Prize Winner posted:

OK, what do you use a signet ring for in 2018?

In Asia? Sign of masculinity and status symbol. Also showing off your personal patron god (in my father's case, Ganesh, showing off his dedication to work and knowledge, also that we was a low caste who could afford a gaudy ring). He offered me his old ring but I refused, and instead I keep my pearl charm that my grandma made, which people know me by back home.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Edit: not sure I buy the tea map though. Siberia?the Arctic circle? Really?

Tea is about humidity and seasonal temps. It's why tea grows best in higher altitudes where cloud cover hits just right. I'm assuming that the map just works for some of the mountain ranges in russia.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Dalael posted:

I feel really dumb for asking this but, does the Sphynx trully have a tail? Saw this on imgur today and it had never occured to me that it does. I have never ever seen a picture of the sphynx from behind before. Is this a troll?

I played Assassins creed origins and i can tell you that it does. It also has a small hole under the tail that takes you to the first civilization bunker.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Still boggles the mind they ran out of wood.

The northern parts of the Indian subcontinent ran out of wood during the 1950~60 when alot of development was happening. It was a huge deal, that led to some radical reforestation and community management to get local timber/wood levels to a manageable level. If you look at pictures from say national geographic from the 60s onwards of places like Nepal and compare that to now, you would see literally no tress on mountainsides. Kathmandu valley was completely bare of trees until the 80s, and it led to a whole bunch of villages vanishing overnight due to landslides and erosion.

edit: by development i dont mean better things. Stuff like introduction of coal/charcoal stoves. Disruption of past trade links (wood and charcoal from the south as trade goods). Disruption of communal forestry and land management (men and leadership being diverted to WWII and wage labor in cities).

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 20, 2018

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My favorite factoid about the Hittites is that their law code has been preserved, and it goes to the trouble to specify that having sex with a horse or a mule is NOT prohibited. Although you do lose your ability to petition the King or be a priest.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Do parts of them still stand? I guess the Ottomans kept them around for awhile but historical preservation often loses when it comes to city planning.

Parts of them are still original/later ottoman additions and parts of them have been reconstructed recently. It's currently a public park with gardens and greenery. You can definately notice which parts were reconstructed because the modern reconstruction was done really shoddily. The Turkish government has a really bad record of preservation and reconstruction depending on the political and cultural importance of the site in question.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

wanna see some thuggee cosplayers though

You could argue that modern day Indian gangsters are a very good continuation of the kali cult. Both with the way modern media depicts them and how they exist separately from society at large.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 14, 2018

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

Can someone reccommend books on the Silk Road for kids? My sister's oldest has developed an interest

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bride%27s_Story

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Here is an image of cistern that i took. Not much schematic info on it but wiki says this:

quote:

"Dara became the site of massacre in the midst of the Armenian Genocide. According to some reports, the cisterns were filled with the bodies of slaughtered Armenians from Diyarbakir, Mardin, and Erzerum in the spring and summer of 1915"

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 13, 2019

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Don Gato posted:

I love going to the Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City since I barely learned anything about Mesoamérica in class, outside maybe a reference to Cortés conquering the Aztec empire with SUPERIOR SPANISH TECHNOLOGY, which is nowhere close to how it happened.

There was one sculpture at the museum that just blew my mind about how i thought about mesoamerican culture and how much i placed greek and roman cultural artifacts as a high watermark for 'culture'. It was a sculpture of a ?boy? posing with natural motion and figure that resembled the Kouros sculpture. i cant remember what it was called... i might need to go to mexico again.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ironically enough the otherwise terrible early 00s Alexander the Great movie did just this, at least for one of the major early battles.

Movie was AWFUL in basically every other way, though

The military museam in Athens had scenes from the battle looping in the exhibit about glorious Greek hero Alexander but with all the scenes with Colin Ferrel cut. Took me a while to recognize it but it stood out because it was a high budget reenactment in an otherwise badly organized and low budget museam.

Also lots and lots of nationalism and racist depictions of Turks and ottomans :whitewater:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

What are peoples opinion on "The Iliad, Or, The Poem of Force" by Simone Weil?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

The BBC article I saw on this didn't lean in the sorcress direction that one does. That one was implying it was probably something more along the line of household magic.

My money is on someone's sex toy collection.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Basically read Desert

The zine? Haven't seen or heard it being mentioned anywhere for a long time.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I know one of the history podcaster is looked down upon by their peers because they have become a sort of creep with regards to collegues and students after their fame. But the universities and departments seem to be throwing lots of money at them since it is so successful and has huge amounts of engagement by the public.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

That process of making wine is still practiced in southern turkey and Syria. Its called Syriac wine and usually made in local households. I remember being in the Mardin area in turkey and seeing amphoras/terracotta jars being used for that specific purpose. The wine itself was indeed sweeter than normal.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 27, 2020

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

They export it and it was a large source of income in that region. But due to current events, it's not as widely available as it once was. Bottlers or resellers would collect from households or farms and bottle them with their own lables for resale. I believe there used to be a christian monastery near Mardin that used to make their own lable for export but the Turkish govt did some things to ruin that.

Edit:oh yhea that new alcohol regulation that got passed by AKP. gently caress erdogan.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Would all the villagers live relatively close together in an area that could be walled off and then the fields they tend would surround the whole village? Would farmland be walled off? Would they even possibly all live together in one big building? How common would houses out on their own in the middle of nowhere be?

Don't know about Europe, but in south Asia all village structures are clustered together. The village I grew up in Nepal all the houses were within a stones throw away from each other and the fields were a distance from the houses. Since labor/tools/draught animals are shared communally (planting, ploughing, reaping) no one needs to be next to their land directly. The only structures outside the village itself used to be religious structures and shelter sheds for when you were wintering or grazing animals and needed to stay at the location. Infact, in the case of Nepal outcasts or lowercaste groups would set up shop nearby the villages but never allowed into the village proper. So you had blacksmiths, grave diggers, leather workers living outside the village proper. Things had not changed a lot from the past for us when I was growing up at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Squalid posted:

it always struck me as odd the way blacksmiths get labelled as outcast in so many cultures. i mean its a skilled and necessary trade, nobody's gonna drive all the blacksmiths out and keep them out. Were they kinda itinerant in your village, did they move around from place to place?

They moved around and never stayed in one place. They were called Kami which in Nepali language could also be translated to "worker". Some theories that they were of northern Indian origin that were displaced and thus relegated to outsider status in the communities they settled in.

I think similar concept could be applied to Jews in europe working in usury as a process in finding a niche in a hostile community, or Roma/traveler people being known to work fixing roads. Today we can also see it in the US with notions of Indians working convenience stores or Koreans running laundromats etc. I think it has less to do with the labor preformed, but how well the work can be preformed while being excluded from social/legal needs such as owning land or religious obligations.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 13, 2020