Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Kaal posted:

Those buildings are anthropologically fascinating, but not architecturally impressive.

I beg to differ. Considering what they were built with (both tools and materials), I do find them impressive. I mean, just look at that 4-story tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Smart Car posted:

The rod with a serpent entwined around it is the symbol of Asclepius, and that's still used as a symbol a lot of hospitals.

:nms:That's not a serpent.:nms:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Suenteus Po posted:

What kinds of texts talked about farting unambiguously, medical texts?

No, fart jokes. :thejoke:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Mustang posted:

Has anyone seen The Fall of the Roman Empire, the 1964 movie? I just came across it for the first time and noticed it looked pretty cool. The sets and costumes seem pretty impressive for 1964. Makes me wonder what other good old movies about the Romans are out there.

In the History of Rome podcast, Mike Duncan recommended this one as being particularly realistic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvfLyx9TUbI
Looks a bit fishy to me, though.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

[quote="Brawnfire" post="425718526"]
Why wasn't a decimal system devised for circles/angles? Or does decimal math work in commune with base 60 because they are both divisible by 10?
/quote]

Base 10 is natural to use because most humans have 10 fingers. Base 5 or base 20 are variations on this theme.

Base 12 is actually more convenient because 12 has more divisors than 10; base 60 is even better, being evenly divisible by 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 20 and 30. That is extremely useful when dealing with time or angles, so the system has stuck for these use cases.

There actually is a decimal system for measuring angles, where a right angle is subdivided into 100 degrees. That is what the GRAD button on a calculator is for.

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 14, 2014

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

A cup is a standard measure of volume that isn't complicated.

:colbert:

(Sorry for the lovely iPod picture.)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

Relating this to ancient history, this is why for most of history people living in towns did not have ovens in their own home. It was just too much bother and wasteful of fuel to heat it up just to cook for one family. There was usually a central bakery where the ovens could be continually monitored all day long and do all the baking for everyone.

Fun fact: there is actually a communal bakehouse in the village where I live which is still in use.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Are those accounts on the giving or the taking end? I can totally see the "piss it out, boys, quick!" part being a devilishly clever bit of psychological warfare.

Note thread title.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Octy posted:

For anyone interested, the adaptation Rape of the Sabines is an educational film appropriate to all ages. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7FKcUOi3-8

I prefer this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9wbse4HHII&t=32s

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Install Windows posted:

Many small cities and towns in the United States have downtown areas that are elevated over the natural ground level, usually due to a now covered stream or other body of water that originally drew people to settle there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Underground
(I only know about this because Terry Pratchett mentioned it in a footnote somewhere.)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Al Harrington posted:

any recommended version?

I don't understand the question. :colbert:

Gaius Julius Caesar posted:

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Why do people go back to those gods? They were all giant assholes. I don't get the motivation.

Even now, Sithrak oils the spit.
Warning: very :nws: comics besides this one.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Kaal posted:

Well cutting it is just the modern way of doing it, the old way is to grind the curved lens out of a flat sheet and then polish it. But it still isn't easy to come up with that clear glass sheet in the first place.

Mirrors are much easier to produce than lenses, but you need to make them out of metal if you don't have a way to put on a reflective coating. (Although if you can generate high voltage and a bit of a vacuum, producing a sputtered coating seems to be surprisingly easy.)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Frostwerks posted:

What's the hardest part of making a hot air balloon?

The airtight envelope. According to Wikipedia, the Montgolfier brothers used sackcloth (which probably would be available in antiquity) and paper (which you'd have to invent first). Later they used taffeta, which is made from silk; that might be prohibitively expensive if you could even get enough silk.

Hang gliders or even kites would be easier to build, and could still be used for things like military reconnaissance.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Running for your life is good exercise, anyways.

How is this not a thing yet? Be right back, got to put a business plan together.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Habesne scalaria in domo tuo?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Octy posted:

The ancient equivalent of the French in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Mater tua acinis sambuci olet.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

[...], extensive use of mercury to get the gold/silver out (not sure how this worked), [...].

Why Is Mercury Used In Gold Mining And Why Is It A Problem?
"The three largest point sources for mercury emissions in the U.S. are the three largest gold mines."

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Sleep of Bronze posted:

But, allowing your neologism, that's not a 3rd person verb ending. Interpreting it, you have to contrive something spectacularly awkward with a 2nd person or it ends up meaning 'to he who the posts with the poo poo'. Needs a facit or to go participle or something.
I think I know where this is going.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8&t=125s

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

sullat posted:

Also, when you beat up an older civ, it was customary to incorporate their gods into your pantheon, usually as subordinates. "Oh hey, you know Tiamat, the primordial demon of chaos? Our boy Marduk totally kicked her rear end, and so your gods said he could be the boss god. Which means you gotta pay tribute to us, too."

IIRC they also literally stole gods - not just by conquest and looting statues and such, but by performing an appropriate ritual and saying, "your god's on our side now, suckers! :agesilaus:".

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Guildencrantz posted:

Can someone give me the original Latin of that titular quote? I know I saw it here, but can't find it anywhere. The rest of the famous Pompeii graffiti would be great as well.

It's only a fragment.
CIL IV 3932
... dolete puellae
paedicat ... cunne superbe vale.

My last Latin lesson was more than 30 years ago, but I think the comment for this entry says, "discovered in 1873 and very badly legible; now totally disappeared." :(

e: "femininity" is not what that word means :pervert:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Libluini posted:

Could be, could be that Theurge is an even older form.

Theurge is a nice word, but it means something completely different.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Libluini posted:

More forest, plus more swamp. Germany is practically the land of the forests.

Also, we have the habit of calling low mountain ranges "something something Wald", because they were/are covered by forest. The "Teutoburger Wald" is one of these (as are the Schwarzwald, Bayerischer Wald, Pfälzer Wald, ...).

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I know they had a falling out later in life, but why is Augustus/Agrippa remembered as one of the most awesome team of bros in history while Maecenas tends to be overlooked/forgotten?

Forgotten as in, being the namesake for the term describing a patron of the arts in many European languages?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Well drat, I'd have loved to read that (and similarly Caesar's "Anti-Cato") - anything from a guy alive at the time ripping on another guy alive at the time would be utterly fascinating.

There are several of Cicero's polemics that survived (In Verrem, the Philippics, ...).

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

JaucheCharly posted:

Patron makes a few calls and says that it's going to be fixed. The next afternoon, the patron calls, he has his stereo back and tells the friend that the people who broke in won't be bothering anyone on his block anymore.

And then of course comes the bit about doing him a favor when asked, which may never happen ...

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

ColtMcAsskick posted:

I hope you guys like epicurean philosophy because that is all those scrolls will end up being :(

Still better than loving Stoicism. Seneca :bahgawd:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

Buncha :words: here but might help as an illustrative example of the attitude of some Romans to exercise:

That's exactly the stuff I was ranting about. I missed out on Ovid (or possibly Horace), which they read in a parallel class, for this.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Smoothrich posted:

Consuls and tribunes seemed to constantly struggle with imposing order on the cacophony of unregulated urban development and probably had slums and shanty towns popping up left and right like a bad Sim City map.

Case in point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JFw8M4PBUI&t=2790s

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

the JJ posted:

*******landschneke

Although I like the image of armored land snails with pikes, I think you meant "Landsknechte" ("Knecht" is cognate to "knight").

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

That's not "soldier," that's "mercenary." Soldier in German is soldat, and these people use that word much less to refer to themselves.
Yeah, but both mean somebody who gets paid "Sold", and that has nothing to do with "salt".

Deutsches Wörterbuch posted:

SOLD, m. geldentschädigung für geleisteten waffendienst, in der neuen deutschen heeressprache ersetzt durch löhnung [...].
I. sold geht zurück auf solidus (ital. soldo, franz. sou), name eines geldstückes (des dicken im gegensatze zur blechmünze) [...]

SOLDAT, im mhd. im sinne von sold, s. mhd. wb. 2, 2, 468. Lexer mhd. handwb. 2, 1051.

SÖLDNER, m., unter soldat ist bemerkt, dasz diese bezeichnung in der mhd. zeit nicht für den geworbenen krieger verwandt wird, sondern für den gezahlten sold; wie sold ist auch söldner fremden ursprungs [...]
die schriftsprache verwendet söldner in neutralem sinne nur wenn es sich um ältere zustände handelt. im übrigen aber hat söldner einen besondern, meist verächtlichen nebensinn angenommen, der geworbene soldat wird so bezeichnet im gegensatze zu dem, der seiner gesetzlichen heerespflicht genügt. das englische heer besteht aus söldnern, ist ein söldnerheer.
tl;dr: "Sold" comes from "solidus" as already noted, "Soldat" and "Söldner" meant the same thing as "Sold" in Middle High German, but "Söldner" now means somebody who goes fighting for money (and only money).

Before I derail the thread even more, what do the China experts think of the "Three Kingdoms" TV serial? I'm watching it on YouTube and really enjoying it so far, although I'm mostly rooting for Cao Cao (and I think he's supposed to be the villain?)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah, Smoothrich has a ways to go before being made into a smilie. Don't go there, please.

In other news, I may need to stop watching Three Kingdoms; I saw that bow video and immediately thought, "hey, it's Guan Yu!"

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

JaucheCharly posted:

Bow video? Three kingdoms? Guan Yu?

This video:

Guan Yu is a character in "Romance of the Three Kingdoms," which is a partly fictitious account of the eponymous period of Chinese history. He's usually pictured with a "ruddy" complexion, e.g., in a recent Chinese TV series I was asking about earlier.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Tao Jones posted:

Sea salt contains far less iodine than mined salt or the salt that's in animal flesh.

I think you have that backwards.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Obliterati posted:

You're thinking Vindolanda, a fort on Hadrian's Wall. The mundane is actually a pretty awesome discovery for this period, where we have a lot less idea of how the masses lived than we do the aristocracy. It even includes the first Latin text written by a woman.

My favorite is number 628.

Masclus posted:

ceruesam commilitones non habunt quam rogo iubeas mitti
I hope he got his beer. :hist101:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I love Gladiator and make no apologies for it.

Just a remake of this, which has Sophia Loren in it and is thus intrinsically better. :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ-sPXgSWCs

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Everything I was taught about the 30 Years War implied that it was absolute anarchy and hell on earth for the common person. I mean, it went on for decades so there must have been lulls in the fighting, and there must have been times when some popular support was behind this offensive or that one, if only from outrage and desire for vengeance. But the famine, disease, and widespread looting and rape was just a nightmare to the average laborer and certainly many of higher status as well.

Yeah, just look at this bit from the beginning of Simplicius Simplicissimus:

Hans Jakob Christoffel von Grimmelshausen posted:

Chap. iv. : HOW SIMPLICISSIMUS’S PALACE WAS STORMED, PLUNDERED, AND RUINATED, AND IN WHAT SORRY FASHION THE SOLDIERS KEPT HOUSE THERE
[...]
The first thing these troopers did was, that they stabled their horses: thereafter each fell to his appointed task: which task was neither more nor less than ruin and destruction. For though some began to slaughter and to boil and to roast so that it looked as if there should be a merry banquet forward, yet others there were who did but storm through the house above and below stairs. Others stowed together great parcels of cloth and apparel and all manner of household stuff, as if they would set up a frippery market. All that they had no mind to take with them they cut in pieces. Some thrust their swords through the hay and straw as if they had not enough sheep and swine to slaughter: and some shook the feathers out of the beds and in their stead stuffed in bacon and other dried meat and provisions as if such were better and softer to sleep upon. Others broke the stove and the windows as if they had a never-ending summer to promise. Houseware of copper and tin they beat flat, and packed such vessels, all best and spoiled, in with the rest. Bedsteads, tables, chairs and benches they burned, though there lay many cords of dry wood in the yard. Pots and pipkins must all go to pieces, either because they would eat none but roast flesh, or because their purpose was to make there but a single meal.

Our maid was so handled in the stable that she could not come out; which is a shame to tell of. Our man they laid bound upon the ground, thrust a gag into his mouth, and poured a pailful of filthy water into this body: and by this, which they called a Swedish draught, they forced him to lead a party of them to another place where they captured men and beasts, and brought them back to the farm, in which company were my dad, my mother, and our Ursula.
And now they began: first to take the flints out of their pistols and in place of them to jam the peasants thumbs in and so to torture the poor rogues as if they had been about the burning of witches: for one of them they had taken they thrust into the baking oven and there lit a fire under him, although he had as yet confessed no crime: as for another, they put a cord round his head and so twisted it tight with a piece of wood that the blood gushed from his mouth and nose and ears. In a word, each had his own device to torture the peasants, and each peasant his several torture. But as it seemed to me then, my dad was the luckiest, for he with a laughing face confessed what others out of the midst of pains and miserable lamentations: and such honour without doubt fell to him because he was the householder. For they set him before a fire and bound him fast so that he could neither stir hand nor foot, and smeared the soles of his feet with wet salt, and this made our old goat lick off, and so tickle him that he well nigh burst his sides with laughing. And this seemed to me so merry a thing that I must needs laugh with him for the sake of fellowship, or because I knew no better. In the midst of such laughter he must needs confess all that they would have of him, and indeed revealed to them a secret treasure, which proved far richer in pearls, gold, and trinkets than ant would have looked for among peasants. Of the women, girls, and maidservants whom they took, I have not much to say in particular, for the soldiers would not have me see how they dealt with them. Yet this I did know, that one heard some of them scream most piteously in divers corners of the house; and well I can judge it fared no better with my mother and our Ursel than with the rest. Yet in the midst of all this miserable ruin, I helped to turn the spit, and in the afternoon to give the horses drink, in which employ I encountered our maid in the stable, who seemed to me wondrously tumbled, so that I knew her not, but with a weak voice she called to me, “O lad, run away, or the troopers will have thee away with them. Look to it well that you get hence: thou seest in what plight…” And more she could not say.
Source.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's dumb because we're actively on a) maintaining access to original recording media and b) transferring large amounts eternally onward from format to format. Sure, maybe the man of 6015 can't read the floppy disk but the floppy disk was probably transferred onward to holocube by like 2200 and into neural implant charges by 4000.

But, but, those people in 4000 will never know that Han shot first. :ohdear:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Friendly Tumour posted:

Anyway, medical knowledge among other things the West forgot made a real and this time lasting return to Europe with the Conquest of Toledo and the Fall of Constantinopolis in the 14th century. Obviously it took time to spread and be integrated and to get improved on, but it's really the reintroduction of literacy that's the key point in when doctors stopped using cow dung on stab wounds.

But then you find things like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

JaucheCharly posted:

Mary Beard quotes on of these saying that you shouldn't go to the baths with an open wound, unless you want to die. Without chlorine in the water, it gets nasty really, really fast. Not exactly the place that you want to take a dip as a female.

The Roman Bath in Bath is closed for bathing not just because it is an incredible ancient monument, but also because there are some seriously nasty organisms in the water (Naegleria IIRC).