Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

The Romans conquered Veii because of salt.

But it was conquered in 386 BC or so, and while it was expensive then it definitely became cheaper as time went on and they put up more salt producing factories. Though I haven't taken any formal classes on Rome, so you should take what I said with a grain of salt (:v:) since I'm just putting things together from what I've read.

EDIT: Better start the new page with a question at least, but something that's been bugging me is that Iberia seems to fade out of relevancy sometime around the time Julius Caesar is marching on Rome, is there any reason for this? You'd think that with all the silver over there it would be pretty important for any general who fancied himself emperor to take so they could fund their legions, but as far as I can tell it doesn't seem to do much after all the tribes have been pacified and it is fully integrated into the empire.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

You've gotta check out the story of Justinian's agents stealing silkworms, it's Cold War-esque. I'm pretty sure Grand Fromage talked about it at some point in this thread.

I thought that it was just a few random merchants who stole the silkworms, not an actual operation that Justinian ordered. Given what I know about Justinian though, I can totally see him as M, ordering agents around the globe to steal things that will make them even richer than they were.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Britain also has some nasty tides and storms you had to sail through if you wanted to invade, and the rocky coastline isn't easy to land on during a clear day, let alone the foggy hell that usually covers the island. I'd think that it was the tides as much as anything that made coastal invasions so difficult. A navy you can beat, but the tides pulling your ships to shore, possibly smashing them against the rocks? That's a little bit harder to deal with, especially if you're from a culture that never really had a seafaring tradition and also sailed in the mostly non-tidal Mediterranean.

Outside of Rome, just look at how many people the Mongols lost just from the storms sinking their fleet when they tried to invade Japan. Flat bottomed boats, rocky shores, storms and crews that aren't used to the previous two is a recipe for disaster. Naval invasions are haaaaaard.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
So is it fair to assume that modern languages with the same name share almost nothing with their ancient counterparts? I know that modern Greek has very little to do with ancient Greek, and that there have been some consanant shifts in Japanese from the middle ages to now (it's why Japan is called Nihon about as often as Nippon IIRC), but does say, ancient Chinese have as much to do with modern Chinese as Latin does to Italian?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

They had all sorts of winter vegetables and roots that would store, and the emperors at least were known to use the permanent snowcaps in the Alps as freezers. The Romans had sauerkraut and fermented turnips, those two are known from written material. I would bet other vegetables were also preserved this way.

Man, I don't want to be the unlucky slave who has to get the food down from the mountain again.

On a somewhat related note, did the Romans use cellars at all to store their food, or was all food stored aboveground in granaries and stuff? The temperature difference would make a huge difference in how long food lasts, and if they're dumping food in the Alps I'm guessing that the Romans also knew about that basic principle.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Still better looking than Carlos II.

Speaking (vaguely) of women, did many statues of actual women survive through the ages? We've got busts of all the emperors that I know of, and I know that we have a famous statue of Venus, but did any statues survive of what the royal/senatorial women looked like, or were they considered too low on the social totem pole to bother making depictions of anywhere other than money?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

the jizz taxi posted:

Kind of his fault, especially because he was hell-bent on his son succeeding him. A colossal flaw for an otherwise very competent and wise emperor.

It always sounded like a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of situation. Who knows if someone, jockeying for more power, decides that Commodus would be a great puppet to rule the empire with, and uses him as a claim to legitimacy to wear the purple. If anything, leaving the only son of the Emperor out in the cold sounds like an even worse idea than leaving him in power. Hindsight tells us that him being sent off to Britain would probably be best for the empire, but Marcus Aurelius couldn't have known that. Or he was willfully ignoring it because Commodus was still his son, for whatever that counted for.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
That Marcus Antonius seems like a cool dude, you hear that he's Julius's friend?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Some comedy after your child sacrifice reading.

http://byzantiumnovum.org/

So wait, they are byzantine fanatics but they acknowledge it as a separate thing from Rome? Wouldn't the smart thing be to just claim direct descendence from Rome instead and claim all of Rome's former territory?

I'm betting the answer is that the former byzantine territory they're claiming just has a lot of brown people in it so they think they would be able to control them easier.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
How was history taught in Rome anyway? I know that those who could afford it were tutored (read: Forced to memorize everything), but how did the common Roman learn about his country's history? Did they just dedicate days to reenacting historical battles in the coliseum like some kind of ancient history channel, or did everyone just memorize Virgil and other authors?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Xenophon also asked the locals if they knew who built it, and no one knew because the Assyrians were so hated they were almost entirely wiped out of the historical record, IIRC.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Impressive how they managed to go from China to Turkey/the Middle east without influencing ANYTHING inbetween. Those steppe people must have been too barbaric to even consider teaching them about the glorious Korean culture.

It reminds me of some of the things I've heard my oldest relatives claim, like how :japan: invented things like the printing press, silk, tofu, shoes etc. Feels good to be the only people to ever invent anything :whatup:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

the JJ posted:

Japan had it big for horse archery too. Your original Glorious Nippon warrior caste did a lot of one on one horse back archery duels which I imagine would have been really cool, like ancient era dogfighting.

But of course they (and the Koreans) alternating between desperately suppressing all that barbarism so they could be refined and civilized like the Chinese and pretending that, no really, we're special snowflakes. Korea had a while where they could have their cake and eat it too by pretending to be the TRUE vessels of culture because the dirty Manchus weren't really Chinese.

Plus the Japanese and Koreans like to slap fight over Korea being suck ups to the Chinese on the one hand and japan never really civilizing on the other. Plus the comfort women thing, there's always that.

It's pretty obvious when you look at Japanese bows that they were made for horse archery; you hold the bow extremely low compared to other longbows because they were meant to be used on horseback, and for whatever reason I don't think Japan ever really made composite bows so they needed to be that long to have any power behind them.

To steer this back on topic, what is Korea doing during the Roman period? I know that China is being ruled by the Han dynasty and that Japan isn't doing much, unless you believe the traditional Imperial history because then Japan is busy establishing a census, a nationwide tax as well as beginning the proud Japanese tradition of invading Korea. I assume that in Korea there are no stories about how Empress Jingu invaded Korea while pregnant during the 3rd century.

karl fungus posted:

Does North Korea carry on that tradition too?

Best Korea carries on all of Glorious Chosŏn traditions, and arrows don't need to be made by filthy imperialist factories like bullets do.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep, this happened. If you had a lot of prisoners to execute, one way to make it more fun was to make them dress up as some foreign army and have the noble Romans defeat them. Prisoner executions were typically held around lunchtime as an intermission--the games were an all-day affair. Animal hunts and races in the morning, prisoner execution at lunch, gladiators as the main event in the afternoon.

Gotta ask, were chariot races also who day affairs? Because in my head chariot racing is pretty much ancient NASCAR, only with less guns and instead of being sponsored by Sprint, they're sponsored by True Roman Bread For True Romans.

Please tell me that's pretty much exactly how it went, it would make me so happy.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
And to quote Koramei from a few pages back, they were also really loving good at working with gold.

Koramei posted:

they had pointy hats

I've heard some people write it off as Scythians having captured Greek goldsmiths, but in my head that doesn't sound right; did Greece have a strong tradition of goldsmithing? I've had to trawl through the rest of their poo poo plenty of times in art history but I have no strong recollection of amazing Greek jewelry. I do just want to believe in super-Scythians though.

:horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

fuzzy_logic posted:

"post your favorite Bronze Age insanity theories"

Just go back a few pages and see that map of the world where Korea either directly owned or indirectly influenced loving everything, to me that is the craziest conspiracy I've seen because I thing GF mentioned it's main source was a book of fairy tales.

Mustang posted:

For whatever reason they tended to be people from the smallest countries populationwise.

Small countries seem to have this bizarre form of a superiority complex to make up for their lack of land. For example: Balkan nationalists on the Paradox game forums.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Athens building a multi-million dollar exhibit for something they don't physically have reminds me of that time that Khosrau I sacked Antioch, took exact measurements and moved all the inhabitants into his newly built replica Weh Antiok Khusrau, or Better than Antioch, Khosrau Built This. Late antiquity :allears:

I've got an odd question, but does anyone know of any good books on the Roman Empire that are simple enough for a kid to read? My cousin hates reading and as a result reads way below her grade level since she never reads but she likes it when I tell her stories of Rome during car rides. My thinking is that if she gets a book of a subject she's actually interested vs something her school is forcing her to read, she'll actually read it and then get better at reading and save her a lot of headaches down the road.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the suggestions people, looks like someone is not getting the toys she wanted for Christmas this year 'cause Santa Gato has the gift of ROMA INVICTUS :hist101:.

Tao Jones posted:

How young is young?

She's 11 right now, but my guess is that she reads at a 4th grade level at best since I have literally never seen her with anything more complicated than the manual to The Sims.

cheerfullydrab posted:

The best children's book about Roman history would be a folded piece of paper that says The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon on the outside and when you open it up it just says "gently caress Christianity PS Eastern Empire never happened"

You have no idea how tempted I am to just do this.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I've got a really dumb question for dorky reasons, but how is triarii supposed to be pronounced? Closer to Rome Total War's pronunciation (A long e sound followed by a long i sound) or Rome 2's pronunciation (Two long e sounds)?

To add onto the food talk, there was someone in this thread who was recreating Roman food. It was a while back and none of it involved garum but it's interesting to look at.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Plucking. Literally.

Nero's neckbeard almost makes sense now :catstare:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

the JJ posted:

And that's China though, not the Mongol hordes.

China does actually claim that the Yuan dynasty is a legitimate Chinese dynasty, despite being, you know, Mongol invaders. I've heard some things where they claim that Ghengis Khan was also Chinese because what is and what isn't Chinese changes based on what makes China look good.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Does llama poop cure smallpox? Find out at 11 :science:

RE: Schoolchat, I had one really good teacher in high school who spent the entire semester teaching us about the Middle East using news broadcasts he recorded over the years and his own materials, from the causes of the Second Intifada to the Iranian Revolution and why the Iranians hated our guts, interspersed with current events and why the conflict in Iraq wasn't going to end anytime soon and how blowing up people and flaunting our military might wouldn't provide a long term solution to very old problems (this was 2006 so it was just before the surge began in earnest, he had a field day with that announcement). Unfortunately I only had him for a semester but I won't lie when I say he was probably the best teacher I've ever had, he managed to make a roomfull of apathetic teenagers care about current events and wonder why things are happening beyond the immediate causes.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
It blew my mind that the Eastern Roman Empire lasted until 1453, I always assumed in high school they just kind of faded away a few decades after western Rome fell.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
What is an error of 500 years compared to the glory of the Eternal City :hist101:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also remember our source bias. We're getting government documents and the odd thing written by the elite for the elites. Even saying there was one "Latin" or one "greek" is highly problematic. I'm willing to bet a walk from the po valley to the top of the boot would involve a lot of regional dialects.

Is it possible to know how big the regional variation could potentially be, and how far off that would be from what was written down? My only experience with this is I'm decently fluent in Mandarin Chinese, but if I were to speak to a local, my actual ability to understand them would vary a lot depending on where they're from since despite the best efforts of the communist party and the KMT there are still a lot of regional dialects, and some of those are practically a different language compared to "standard" Mandarin that only share basic grammar and the writing system, while some are basically just a funny accent.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

I think distillation is attested in China as far back as 5,000 years ago?

And yet every bottle of baijiu I've ever had tasted like paint thinner.

Edit: Just so this isnt completely devoid of content, most modern Chinese Baijiu is distilled from grains; a small number are distilled from fruits but I have not tried them yet. I'd assume that their earliest attempts at distillation would be similar.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 13, 2016

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Personally, I would hate to be been a peasant in Southern China around the mid 19th century. Plagues, floods, Europeans and anywhere between 20 million to 100 million people killed directly or indirectly by the Taiping rebellion, let alone the other concurrent rebellions and the other bandits taking advantage of the chaos.

Back to Rome, is there a good source on how Roman camps worked back during late antiquity? I know that during the principate their camps were fortresses that they would put up overnight, which that in and of itself blows my mind, but did they keep doing that even as the empire was collapsing?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Chinese lesson time!

In modern Chinese, the way to refer to Rome is 罗马, which is just a transliteration of Rome, pronounced close to Luo Ma. The word for Empire is 帝国,so the Roman Empire is referred to as the 罗马帝国.

In ancient Chinese sources, Rome is referred to as 大秦, pronounced Da Qin, or literally Great Qin (as in the Qin Dynasty). The fact that Han dynasty scholars would equate Rome with the famous Qin dynasty says a lot about how they didn't actually view them as barbarians. This is on top of the very... optimistic picture they painted of the Roman consulate. To the best of my knowledge, during the Han Dynasty Korea's name (高句丽, gao gou li) was a transliteration of the Goguryeo Kingdom*, and Japan was known as 倭(Chinese Wo, Japanese Wa), which depending on the source either means dwarf or was just a transliteration of how the Japanese said I or myself. Given what China's always been like, I'm leaning towards them being intentionally condescending when transliterating the name.

The Tang Dynasty called the Roman Empire 拂菻, pronounced Fu Lin, which is based on the Persian pronunciation of what they called the Eastern Roman Empire. Nowadays, the second character is basically only used to refer to the Eastern Roman Empire.

I am very sleep deprived and just got back from work so my Chinese and English skills are probably not all there, but basically I'm saying that since the Roman Empire was almost never referred to using a transliteration, like China did with basically everyone else, it shows that it was definitely not just a barbarian country in the West. Not even the Parthian get to avoid the scourge of transliteration, which I bet they loved. It's actually interesting to see in modern times how countries are named: either a Chinese reading of their characters (Japan and both Koreas, lemme tell you this makes figuring out cities and provinces in these countries a pain in the rear end) or a transliteration of their name (basically every other country and place except for :911:AMERICA:911: and possibly Vietnam, depending on who you ask)

The more you know :hist101:

*There are actually a lot of names for Korea, and most of them are transliterations of a Korean word. There is actually a lot of politics involved in which name is "correct", but that is not a topic for an ancient history thread.

If this is too incomprehensible, just ask me for clarification. Currently I am browsing history threads instead of sleeping like I should, so this might make less sense in the real world than it does in my head.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

Isn't the Chinese word for America "Mei Guo"? Guo for country, mei for America. Seems like a transliteration to me.

America is kind of odd in that the original transliteration was 亞美利加 (ya mei li jia), and then over time they dropped everything but the mei, and outside of Qing sources amd geography magazines I've never seen all 4 characters used. Like, most people would recognize it but it is a really formal thing. So its an abbreviation of a transliteration

Edit:

P-Mack posted:

Let's not forget the category of transliterations that make sense in Cantonese but aren't even close in Mandarin.

The bane of my existence when I started to study Chinese.

Actually the fun thing is that like all languages, Chinese has gone through a bit of a language drift and if you go far enough back we really don't have a great idea how it's supposed to be pronounced, since it's not like they wrote down a pronunciation guide. And this isn't accounting for dialect, which in China is a bit more than just a stronger accent. Cantonese, Mandarin, Hakka and Min are all basically mutually unintelligible, and Wu, which is spoken in and around Shanghai, is really hard for a mandarin speaker to understand if they haven't had a lot of exposure beforehand. They're more like a bunch of related languages that use the same writing system with minor variations than just a regional accent.

I imagine that during the late Roman empire there were similar levels of linguistic drift.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 19, 2017

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

No. Korean does it sometimes but I have never seen spaced Chinese text. They have adopted some punctuation from European languages, so when you see a novel there's formatting but usually everything is just written in a block. Punctuation is optional and used inconsistently.

Punctuation is for decadent, immoral capitalist filth :china:

Honestly once I got the hang of it, the lack of spaces in Chinese wasn't a big deal, but the first year was hell. Japanese, on the other hand, is a nightmare for me to read because of the hiragana/katakana not using spaces, and I think it is a cruel joke my family has been playing on me for years.

I don't know why saying you should use spaces to separate words when they are spelled out is controversial but my aunt called me stupid for wanting that so :shrug:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The Vindolanda tablets were discovered in 1973 and are my favorite piece of writing from that era just because of how banal it is. Literally a collection of random trash writings people threw out but provides an invaluable look at how the average literate person lived in that part of the empire. Also it even includes one of the earliest examples of writing from a woman; the same tablet is probably also the oldest birthday invitation ever, which is kind of cute

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

It depends on how much you believe the negative histories written about him. One story has him beating dwarfs and amputees to death while pretending to be a giant.

I want to believe

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Dalael posted:

Saw this today. Thought some of you may be interested to read about it and who knows, maybe one of you has the required expertise/knowledge to assist.

Translate these chinese characters for 15 000$ each

poo poo, the one time studying ancient Chinese would have gotten me more money than studying modern Chinese. Surprised they got so much translated, even common characters are extremely different from the oracle bone script. Kind of interested in how the process works, these are old enough the radicals might not have been standardized yet and in modern Chinese, you typically use two characters when writing words down, and the meaning of a character changed dramatically based on context.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

fantastic in plastic posted:

It's too bad the Romans didn't have Bitcoin.

I'm just imagining an Emperor forcing slaves to solve math problems in order to get a few fractions of a Bitcoin, and it actually seems like something Caligula would do on a whim.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Jack2142 posted:

That Byzantine History Podcast is quite entertaining, Robin Pearson is pretty engaging and seems to go off alot less on vague and kind of silly metaphors (WWI is a boxing match ad naseum) like the Hardcore History guy.

I am up to the Iconoclasts, but it was fascinating to see under Heraclius just how fast the ancient world unraveled in one mans lifetime with the rise of Islam which saw the collapse of pretty much every old near eastern power within such a short span of time, especially the slow realization in the 600's of the sources/narrative that... drat the Arabs aren't going away and I don't think we will ever take back our Empire and why is god so mad at us...

Also it was crazy to realize that from the Theodosians up till Maurice, none of the Emperors had actually been deposed in Constantinople which is crazy when you think of the history of the Empire there like a solid three hundred years of legitimacy that got ruined because Maurice was a cheap bastard and kept trying to not pay his troops.

Also Irene blinding her own son... that poo poo is hosed up as far as I can see that seems to be the first time one of the rulers actually off'ed their own kid. You get plenty of brother on brother murder, but not so much in that department.

That's about when I realized that Crusader Kings 2 is actually accurate, because before then I assumed that there wasn't anyone in the empire who actually blinded their own children. Of course as far as I can tell, no Roman emperor became immortal or killed Cthulhu with a rowboat, unless you believe the secret history of Justinian.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Jack2142 posted:

The Macedonian Dynasty is legitimately the weirdest thing I have ever read/heard about in Roman History, I have read stuff from latter on the Alexiads and early for Heraclius, but this period is truly bizzare with how they rose to power, how they weren't deposed despite having ~3 regents/military dictators, and also how it ended in a squabble between sisters.

Also John Tzimiskies while a bastard is :black101:

Nikephoras Phocas has a badass nickname as "The White Death of the Saracens"

Is there a good source about this? All I know about Macedon is Alexander and Phillip II, and when they got conquered by rome.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

CoolCab is right in that assigning motivation to ancient people is exceptionally difficult and almost always speculative. Marcus Aurelius is the only ancient figure I can think of off-hand who left extensive documentation giving insights into his own motivations.
Did no famous Greek write down about their own philosophy other than the big, famous ones we know about? Or did it just not survive to the modern day? Seems surprising to me just because I was always under the impression the Greeks loved philosophy, as opposed to the Romans who were more like

:hist101: All those tomes and not one word dedicated to building roads or legionnaire camps? What good is philosophy if we can not use it to conquer the Earth itself? This is why we do not see a Pax Graecia

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hide stunna shades on one of the skulls in the Paris catacombs!

Guaran-loving-tee multiple people have done this already.

Part of me hopes that future historians will recognize that people are just assholes and disregard obvious plants like that but part of me hopes that they'll think that ancient Rome was part of the Han Dynasty due to the amount of Chinese graffiti on ancient ruins.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Squalid posted:

Japan used it traditionally, unless anime has lied to me. And anime would never lie! :mad:

When I was growing up, grandma told me that if I didn't have salt under my bed I would be murdered by ghosts in my sleep, so it was a thing as of her generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HEY GAIL posted:

who is the worst doge

As this is the Roman thread, the only answer is Enrico Dandolo. Sacking the Queen of Cities herself obviously outweighs any good he did :colbert: