Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Hi all, posting from page 32 to report in in my adventure in cooking pullem parthum, which was mentioned in this thread back on page 20something.

I combined a fair number if recipes and made some on-the-fly decisions due to what was available to me, but it turned out great.

First, I took a deep cast iron pan, added a liberal amount of olive oil, and chunked eight chicken thighs into the pan; I tossed the chicken in the oil with a pinch of kosher salt to get dat crust on the bottom of the pan. While that heated up, I added a bottle of Concord grape juice to a sauce pan, cut up ~12 black mission figs, dashed in a tiny amount of kosher salt, brought that to a boil, then backed it down to medium high heat and let simmer until reduced to 1/3 volume; once reduced, I blended the fig chunks into a consistency of runny grape jelly with an immersion blender, then set on the side to cool.

While the chicken was cooking, I cut up three leaks into "wheels," as well as dicing a few sprigs of dill and a couple tablespoons of celery leaves. I also ground 1 tbsp of fenugreek seed, and collected fennel seed and coriander. When the chicken was browned, I moved it to one side of the pan, then added the celery leaf, dill, 1/2 tbsp fenugreek, 1/2 tbsp fennel seed, and 2 tbsp coriander to the bare side of the pan. I let that roast for a couple minutes, then deglazed the pan with 1.5 cups and 0.5 cups hot water, scraping to get all the chunks off the bottom. I added 3 tbsp of Asian fish sauce at this time, then tossed in my chopped leeks and a handful of halved figs. Once the liquid got back to boiling, I covered the pan and put it in a 350 F oven for 30-45 minutes.

The dish was served by first plating a small amount of defructum onto the place, then spooning a serving of the chicken and leeks onto the defructum pool. I served it with a side of castlevanio olives and buttered whole grain pita bread.

loving :hist101: :discourse:

Alright, see y'all in a month when I get to the end of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

God imagine how much Cicero wouldn't shut the gently caress up if he had coke.

God dammit I'm somehow working this into an alternate history story somehow. SOMEHOW.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

Cocoa without sugar cane is fine but not gonna blow anyone's minds

Potatoes, sugar cane, and either coffee or tea are my picks for crops that would revolutionize the Roman diet, though I'm not sure if any of them besides potatoes grow in Roman-controlled climates. I also assume sugar cane is domesticated and has way more sugar content than wild cane and I don't know if that process had been completed two thousand years ago and suspect it hadn't.

Looks like tweaked out Romans is a no go.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Until you run out of pills and/or bullets.

Ancient people weren't stupid B-movie savages.

There seems to be some modern sense of superiority over ancient peoples in that moderns think that they were nearly retarded monsters who died at the age of 30. The Flat Earth myth is one of them; any dumbass on a boat could see the Earth has a curve to it.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Holy loving poo poo I'm dying

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Both sides in much of the world are ultimately representatives of capital, friend :)

Fact.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Safety Biscuits posted:

Because floppy ones are useless.

On another note: mediaeval and early modern manuscripts and books seem to have a lot of white space on the page, and the writing seems to be quite compact. Is there any reason for that?

For dicks that never were.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Mods please change my name to "medieval dick weasel" please.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Love to read epistemological slap fights :nallears:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Epicurius posted:

What is this thing? Is there a reason someone wrote misspelled words making up nonsense phrases on a renaissance painting?

Ok boomer

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

He really nails his posts though.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

HEY GUNS posted:

"merriment," "enjoying myself" (Εὐφροσύνος)
in the classical world, all moms are wine moms

Roman/ancient history: in the classical world, all moms are wine moms.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Apologies in advance:

Are you proud of yourself?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

There are reasons. Slings are harder to use than bows and even if you're good with it, they tend to be less accurate. Bows are quicker to shoot if you're practiced. Also, medieval bows and arrows were deadlier than their ancient equivalent. You can't make specialized armor piercing heads or anything like that with a sling. In the ancient world slings and bows had more of a parity, but there's not a ton of technological improvement you can do to a sling compared to what was done with bows.

Depleted uranium sling ammo?
Carbon nanofiber weave connected to the Internet of Things that records your sling trajectory and speed so you can analyze your firing?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Don Gato posted:

Next edition of Shadowrun going in an interesting direction I see.

Well now I have an idea for an Alexylva University SCP...

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

CommonShore posted:

I made a sling and threw like 100 rocks out of it and I'm still terrible

Facti bonum

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ChubbyChecker posted:

ah, that kind of beads

:quagmire:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Beamed posted:

load-bearing papyrus

Thread title please

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

paragon1 posted:

Probably not very common. A whole lot of societies even today don't really do sarcasm. It's kind of a weird thing!

...is this sarcasm?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Iron is also much better when fighting leprechauns, fairies, and the like.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ChaseSP posted:

Imagine being a wise and smart entrepreneur who ended up oppressed by BIG KING for saying that forcing people to buy from you by beating them up is somehow "unfair and immoral".

But enough about Silicon Valley management practices.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

sullat posted:

Yeah that's the case in Mesopotamia as well. Like they wouldn't waste fuel firing some student's papers, but we were lucky that some of their schools burned down in sieges or whatever so we've got a bunch of schoolwork preserved forever. A lot of what was preserved by time is pretty random, but sometimes we get good stuff.

Iol what is happening in this sketch?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Deteriorata posted:

There's been lots of them found in Egypt, and they're all about this size:

so probably not.

I had no idea urethral sounds were made so early!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Blame Roman Catholicism for the incorrect Latin. Priests were railing at their congregations in trash tier Latin from Constantine's reign to Vatican II, so like 1500ish years of people saying words wrong, making the corpse of Roman grammarians rattle their urns in ghostly anger.

Great avatar/post combo

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Ola posted:

This looks fun:

source

I think the more pre-industrial of a farmer you are, the less a big stump actually bothers you. Ox can plow around it, harvest is by hand anyway.

I pulled three mulberry saplings out of the ground with my pickup, it was better than cumming. I can only image what this felt like.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

skasion posted:

"cinaedus” fuckboy

I love it

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
So over at the SCP community there's a small battery of stories centered around Alexylva University, set at a school in Tenesi in a universe where Rome lost the Second Punic War. While never explicitly elaborated upon, in my head the result of taking that L was that the near-psychotic Roman ambition and grudge-bearing was tempered quite a bit. This in turn made them more amenable to other groups that they'd otherwise disregard, like Germanic peoples, and thereby extended the empire through to the present day and into North America.

What effect do you think losing the Second Punic War would've had?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

It's a huge advantage if every time you conquer a place you just get stronger by integrating them rather than having to devote resources to keeping control over a subject population. Absolutely no way they could've created such a vast empire without that.

Their willingness to learn and change helped too--contrast to say, the Spartans, who just straight up refused to learn anything about siege warfare so every single time they rolled up to a city with walls they were helpless. For centuries.

"God dammit, they have walls! Our only weakness!"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Imagined posted:

Oh yes. If ~10 billion humans want to continue eating sufficient protein on ever-shrinking amounts of arable land thanks to climate change while not contributing further to the environmental devastation livestock causes, we better get a lot more used to eating insect, fungal, and plant proteins. The 20th century western idea of 'it's not a "real" meal if there isn't meat on the table' only has a few years left.

I'm working my hardest.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Crab Dad posted:

Hell pay me some money and I’ll go down to the shore and grind up a couple small shore crabs into a paste and mash it with a potato cake. Doubt it will kill me.

I already bought a hand grinder and was considering trying out small perch ground up.

The rare post-username-avatar hat trick!

Edit: gently caress, beaten like a crab into paste!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Azza Bamboo posted:

If ancient peoples want to get absolutely blasted it's not like they can't just eat the drat magic mushrooms.

True, and to paraphrase another SA poster, plain ol' Cannabis spp. can get you so high you fall into the Shadow Realm.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

Liberal CONSERVATIVE Arts

Aren't the Conservative Arts and Sciences literally just pedophilic child sacrifices?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Squibsy posted:

So I've been reading this thread for a couple of weeks and this post gave me chills in TYOOL 2021

Yeah that post has some fuckin' big ol' 2025 vibes about it. I don't care for it at all, no sir.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

I love the occasional reminders that Romans had awful taste.

Broke: We must return to tradition. Gaze upon this stately white marble statue of a god, rendered in such perfect detail every lock of hair is perfectly in place.
Woke: loving DISCO ACID TRIP BOWL MOTHERFUCKERS

Well they are Italians after all.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Yeah yeast acidify their environment as well as douse it in ethanol. Also, any sort of roasting of grain will drop the pH of the wort.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

See, if I was a rich man, I'd buy one or two of these things and keep them on display in my home.

"See that bowl? That loving bowl is 1800 years old, and it's flawless. I can't get a goddamn thing from Amazon delivered unscathed, but that thing has existed for two millennium. That's how rich I am, motherfucker!"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

And people like you with this mindset are exactly why there's almost certainly hundreds of artifacts just like this that don't get properly excavated and recorded and/or remain unknown to the academic world.

You...you know I'll never be rich enough to do this, right? You know this was an offhanded comment to elaborate how awesome and priceless such an antique is, right?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

Just because you probably will never be able to make it a reality doesnt mean it's not a lovely mindset to have.

Oh do gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

I literally am a professional archaeologist, have worked in musuem collections, and deal with preservation and the after effects of looters on almost a day to day basis.

It's lovely mindset to have. Maybe you should reevaluate why you think that something that unique and interesting should be a conversation piece in some rich persons living room.

Dude, here, maybe you got some dust from the Levant in your eyes and you can't real well right now, so I'll put it in all caps so you can read it.

IT WAS A FLIPPANT OFFHAND POST ABOUT HOW COOL THE BOWL IS. QUIT BEING A oval office ABOUT AN INTERNET POST DESCRIBING A HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION THAT WILL *LITERALLY* *NEVER* HAPPEN.

Can you read that alright? I'm sure you'll let me know if you can't!