Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I have kind of a pointed question here. I am reading Nietzsche's Birth of Tragedy. In Greek theater, he singles out Euripides as a paradigm shift from the more Dionysian Sophocles and Aeschylus. Yet before that he goes on about the supremacy of music - the union of poet with musician, lyrics with song...I understand the Dionysian festivals were full of music and dance, culminating in these famous plays. But what was 'music' in this ancient Greek context? All I know of those three figures are the blocks of text and plays that I can read. I see the differences there, but still feel like I'm missing such a large amount of history that it feels hopeless reading this text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

homullus posted:

All of the choruses in Greek tragedy were song and dance routines. Greek music had string instruments (lyre, cithara), wind instruments (such as flutes and pan flutes), and drums.

Basically, Greek poetry was sung. Homer was sung, and the role vowel quantity plays in meter is one of the reasons some say the Greek alphabet was invented specifically to write down Homer. In one of my Greek classes, one guy insisted on singing his parts when asked to read aloud, using Greek accentuation as his pitch indicators (even though most people don't do that when they read Greek aloud now).

So it was, roughly put, melodic? When I think of Greek chorus I think of the mid-century productions out of London: people in masks, reciting something in unison, but monotone. That is what is confusing me so much. Like, I want to hear the melodies! Perhaps the idea is that putting philosophy to a melody is the "bad' thing Nietzsche is eluding to?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I think the philosophy thread is too dead for this but I need help finding a quote from what I think might have been the pre-Socratics.

I believe it was one philosopher, perhaps unattributed, making fun of Heraclitus or a philosopher who saw the "logos" in everything. The quote basically goes "Don't be like that guy, who treated everything like an example of this idea he had, and rather pseudo-scientifically at that," in modern parlance.

Am I imagining that I saw this quote somewhere? Does it ring any bells?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I have question about Caesar's Civil War commentaries that always has been interesting to me. He seems to posture himself as being wronged by Pompey, and the Senate - not for the fact that they wanted to remove his army from him but because they didn't give him due process and proper day in court to discuss things with them. Basically he claims they broke a parliamentary procedure, in more contemporary terms, and did so for the variety of personal reasons of others in power. So he says:

quote:

For these reasons everything was done in haste and confusion. Caesar's relations were allowed no time to inform him, and the tribunes were given no opportunity to make a plea against the danger that threatened them, or even their fundamental rights by veto, which Lucius Sulla had left untouched.

I guess my question is how we should interpret these claims? Rome was forever changed by a procedural abuse? Huh. Seems plausible. There are just a variety of times in these commentaries where something about the narrative makes me really suspicious. Caesar recounts an army of Pompey's, I think, that surrendered early on in the conflict: he says he allowed them to disarm and go home. Can we believe that?

I'm just re-reading this after about five years and its still fun to me.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Can anybody recommend me a good companion book/book about the New Testament, or if possible, the Book of Acts itself? I guess I'm almost looking for comparative literature, something secular that brings in some more historical/philosophical viewpoints. I was recommended Yale's Anchor Series on the Book of Acts, but it's 50 bux and the Internet Archive scan of it is a little hosed up. Plus, it's a little too dense and Bible Study-ish. I don't know, a shot in the dark!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Fuschia tude posted:

Why is that, anyway? Where did this folk tale weakness to iron come from, as well as silver for vampires and werewolves?

folk tales were advertisements for iron

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

FuturePastNow posted:

How the hell did Diogenes make it to old age without pissing off the wrong guy and getting stabbed?

there were around a dozen homeless guys they just called diogenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
come on guys. have you ever held a sword? its loving sweet