Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I always think of places like Egypt as having already been completely excavated. It's nice to be reminded that's far from the case, and fascinating to wonder how much we can learn from all the stuff still out there in a place like Egypt, let alone some of the places that have been comparatively barely touched.

Are there any recorded cases of something like battlefield PTSD surviving from ancient sources? Dan Carlin kinda touches on that in his persian wars podcast episodes but he's not a historian.

Also, unrelated, how likely is Cleopatra's suicide-by-snake to be a real thing? Are there other people supposed to have died that way?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jerusalem posted:

I can't wait to see those mosaics cleaned up :swoon:

I'd kill to go back to an ancient town at its height and see how all the art and architecture looked in its original state. Check out fully decced-out pyramids and see how those cartoon-colour marble statues really looked.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

skasion posted:

We frankly don't know that they did. It's clear that statues were to some extent painted (or gilded, or decorated in other ways) but the notion that they were all painted in the same sorts of super bright flat color has limited basis in reality. We're talking about centuries of artists each working in their own way here, but the only visual representation of it that we have are the results of some guy analyzing the scraps of pigment that still remain nearly 2000 years later and attempting to extrapolate that to the whole artwork.

Is there much we can do to look into this farther with the current level of technology?

Jerusalem posted:

This also rules. 14,000 years ago is crazy to think about (on a human scale at least).

And some of the history has survived orally? It's hard to imagine by today's standards of recording but if reciting it is all you have then I can see it happening. Kinda depressing to imagine how much history has been lost because oral-tradition societies were either killed off or assimilated without anyone bothering to write down what was being lost.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Do we have an idea of how garum tasted? "similar to south east asian fish sauce"?

Actually, in general, what sort of food did romans or greeks eat? And what was olive oil used for? Did the romans start italian pasta tradition or did that come later?

I just realized I know basically nothing of roman food tradition except bread, wine, and rich fat men on palanquins being fed grapes. Did they even eat grapes or were they used only for wine?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

the romans posted:

179 Gruel and Wine
Pultes Oenococti

Porridge and wine is thus made:
1 flavor the pulse well with wine
2 and immerse in the juice dainty morsels.

sounds delicious. Who doesn't love a good gruel?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sounds like a true Roman film for true Romans.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The reason we have recipes for dormice and bird tongues and not "regular" stuff is because they're delicacies/complicated to make. You wouldn't write down a sandwich recipe, would you? I assume you just know that you put some meat, cheese, lettuce, etc between bread. There's no reason to write it down because basically everyone in the world knows how to make a sandwich or something like it. I realize that there's probably a recipe for everything, even sandwiches, on the internet now, but I think the example still gets the point across.

This is kind of a problem with a lot of pre-printing-press stuff isn't it? When paper is valuable you don't write common knowledge down, and obviously no one is chiseling sandwich recipes into stone or anything. So for example we have techniques for fancy dueling techniques but can mostly only guess at what two blocks of men-at-arms would fight like.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Send back a trained historian to an era we know to be relatively civilized, where rich patrons might take an interest in a talented eccentric, and where we have at last a working knowledge of the language, ie Rome, and give him a portfolio of modern historical work relevant to poo poo they'd be interested in. Include a bit where The Current Emperor is related to Hercules amongst the real history. Blammo a true Father of Modern History.

Do the same for an artist trained in a hyperrealistic style, and give him materials and portfolio with instructions to try and get a painting school going of photographic-style portrayals of everyday life.

Make sure they're trained in enough broken latin, classical chinese, early modern french, or whatever to bumble through claiming to be from some mythical-but-believed-in place to the natives. Think "Greetings, Prester John sent me, Your Grace!"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

We had a history teacher around when I was 13 who did this thing where he set up the desks in a mock slave ship shape and had the class lie, some on the desks and some under, sort of like this, then the few kids who got randomly selected as "slavers" tied some twine all around us and bound our hands in it. It wasn't dangerous or anything, you could break the twine very easily, but it got some parents mad.

I dunno if that's an appropriate history lesson but drat if being arranged like that, voluntarily, for 15 minutes isn't horrible enough. It isn't hard to imagine throwing myself overboard at the first opportunity, if I had to take the real voyage.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

peer posted:

Unless you're black, gay, a woman, etc

Modern USA is without doubt one of the best places to be born a black gay woman in recorded history.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jazerus posted:

a monophyletic clade is a group that consists of all organisms descending from the same common ancestor

a paraphyletic clade is a group that is defined by some other standard and, as a result, either includes species from multiple lineages or arbitrarily excludes some lineages. for example reptile is paraphyletic because it excludes mammals, birds, and dinosaurs even though their origins are within the group that is considered to make up the reptiles.

phylogenetics/cladistics makes a lot of sense once you get into it and is really interesting but there's a lot of barriers to understanding it up-front

Maybe outside the scope of the Rome thread, but how the hell do species from different lineages end up in the same clade and why is that scientifically useful?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I should clarify I meant that in a curious way, didn't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat. Dinosaurs and friends fuckin rule.

How would a roman legion fare if they had to square off against a squad of t-rexes?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
On a realer note, are there any sources or studies online about the idea that officers might have worn lorica segmentata while the ranks wore lorica hamata? That seems very human and also cool looking.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
And underestimate just how genius our ancestors were.

Which leads me to imagine just how many and how lovely bows must have been invented before we got the classic models.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Oh boy I am excited for more hot takes from dorkinsy internet atheists

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

P-Mack posted:

Yes future researchers will never be able to understand a ten story apartment building with a plain brick facade without at least 300 extant examples.

"No one would want to study MY lovely hovel", said the bronze age peasant that everyone wants to know more about.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. There's really no way of knowing what future historians will want to study so it is in our interest to preserve a representative sample of everything possible.

Think of how useful the Vindolanda tablets are, and those are literally just garbage leftover from everyday correspondence. The ancient equivalent of a bunch of hotmail accounts. Nobody would've thought "man people in 2000 years are really going to want to read about my socks" but here we are.

If I could time travel or look down from heaven or whatever, I'd be really excited to see what future archaeologists think of the digital age. We'll either bequeath an absolutely massive cache of media, or all our digitally-recorded poo poo will one way or another become worthless and we'll be a huge enigma. We barely even write on paper anymore. Most of our photos only exist in devices, not in print.

But I mean, imagine how much poo poo we'd flip if somehow we got a single 15-minute youtube video from some dweeby roman. If all our social media crap survives in some form then our generation will be more well-recorded by orders of magnitude than anyone before us.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CommonShore posted:

There are even things in my area (Prairie Canada) from 50, 100, 150 years back which already puzzle local historians who have to piece things together from a few poorly-archived pictures. When the style of the commonplace changes, the old commonplace gets very quickly forgotten.

(I have a much better illustrative example near the top of my memory but It's not coming to the surface - I'll post later if I can think of it :ohdear:)

-There was a synagogue in my town at one point. People argue about the exact location because the records aren't there, and it just dwindled and disappeared rather unceremoniously, to be replaced with housing somewhere along the way. I've never seen a picture.
-The exact locations of several WW1/WW2 training grounds in the area are now matters of dispute.

When I lived in Canada, my city also had a forgotten synagogue. This was Kingston, ON, not a metropolis but a pretty important little city in times past. But there was a conservative synagogue up until a few decades ago, and now it's a thing of legend. No one can agree where it was. It's fascinating how quickly we forget.

I was also a Fort Henry guard for a summer. We're barely a century removed from when real british redcoats manned the fort, but we've forgotten so much about what life was like at the time. There are still areas of Fort Henry that are unexcavated, and it's a well-touristed UNESCO site that's constantly inhabited. Tours go into one reverse firing chamber, for example, that's authentic except the moldy ancient wood floors have been torn out, but the twin chamber on the other side of the fort remains in pristine, spider-infested 1860s condition. There's still carronades and ammo rusting in there. And that's the most well-known. The fort still has a lot of lower passages that have been mouldering for a century while everything from POWs to government officials to us modern LARPers walk around above them. Every year the Guard tour guides get told to tell guests how many firing slits there are, and every year it's different because they're constantly being found and lost.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 26, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How much of an idea do we have of where the jewish religion emerged from, and specifically when the exodus from Egypt became, for lack of a better word, canon?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I saw this vase and it made me wonder, did early hoplites really go to battle hanging dick? It seems like covering it would be your natural instinct.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They're basically a shittier, primitive katana and thus not very useful against anyone armored with more than a wicker shield. AFAIK they were mostly a symbol of authority, and there's not much they can do that you couldn't do better with either an equally-complicated straight sword with a double-edged blade and the ability to thrust, or a cheaper, simpler axe that also could've been used against armored foes.

They are good for depicting your God-King decapitating the former leaders of conquered peoples.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 27, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Squalid posted:

Not really? I mean they aren't really much like a katana at all besides (sometimes) having a curved blade. They're obviously an expensive weapon that probably wasn't ever used en mass, but they are plenty of archaeological examples that were sharp and clearly intended for battlefield use. They would obviously cut better and stab worse than a similar straight sword while the contemporaneous epsilon axes from which they are derived would have performed no better against armor, having similar blade morphology. Epsilon axes were very similar especially to earlier sickle sword designs, but probably more fragile.

The Khopesh came well before anything else that could be called a sword, although there were short daggers at the time. In 2000 BC close quarters combat was mostly settled with the ax or mace, and a khopesh is pretty clearly a step up.

Assyrian bronze sickle sword, ca. 1307–1275 B.C.

Early Minoan and Levantine straight swords

I am not an expert but what on earth is a khepesh without a curved blade? Not a khepesh AFAIK.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't know that exact example, but from what I can tell most of the time it's some marginalized ethnic, tribal, religious, etc group trying to lay claim to an ancient heritage. It's understandable and tragic because the legacy of colonialism means that a LOT of those groups essentially had their cultures and histories eradicated. Being able to lay claim to a long tradition that culminates in you is a really powerful thing, and something a lot of people are sadly lacking. It also has political utility if a group wants to lay claim to some ancient birthright.

Yeah, a lot of "black Egypt", "black Hannibal", and so on arise because a shitload of people of african descent live in the Americas, but between the slave trade eradicating their heritage and the historical trend of ignoring or marginalizing non-western peoples, they have no idea where they came from and no better idea of what actual african civilizations achieved. They grow up in a society of people claiming their 1/4 norwegian 18% irish a little apache etc heritage proudly, and so the natural recourse is to seize what few african places the west does acknowledge and hang on.

In practice those ideas (what the alt right calls afrocentrism) are extremely fringe, but the same mindset drives a lot of similar beliefs. IE serbians claiming the medieval byzantines, generic american white people nerding out about Henry VIII or getting hardcore Lost Cause, the finno-korean hyperwar)

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 6, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is there much written about ancient physiques?

In particular about how common the stereotypical greco-roman rippling leading man statue physique is. Obviously they're going to be fitter-looking than average chair-dwelling moderns but did the common dude get enough food/healthy exercise to look like that? Are there people with notoriously good physiques, are they ancient bodybuilders focused on looks instead of it coming as a side effect of labor/fighting/sport?

Also did politicians get made fun of for getting fat?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
To clarify I'm not asking if they could figure out how to get jacked/lean, more if they intentionally tried and if we know how they expected some healthy-but-average rando to look. Like taking a modern athlete or an infantryman, some men and a few women will naturally look like rippling statues, others still look very fit and strong but carry enough stomach fat to hide their abs unless they try for it. Whereas someone lifting for aesthetics and watching their diet can and will get abs and a more-or-less ideal physique as long as they train hard and stick to an appropriate meal plan. Did people do that in say Athens?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I haven't rowed a trireme but I do love kayaks, and yeah the basic idea would be you can row best if you're engaging as many muscles as possible in one set of movements.

Although it's funny to imagine ancient greeks as gym bros, where the trireme oarsmen have enormous rocking backs and shoulders but tiny chicken legs and get made fun of by the hoplites, except the hoplites have tiny baby arms and can do like two pullups, and so on.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kanine posted:

if anyone in the thread is interested in historical woodworking, here's a cool vid of how shingles are made with hand tools starting with a log

This video is fascinating!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Questions about the roman class system:

I know that pretty much all the plebeians we hear about in history, like the Gracchi, were rich enough to basically be aristocracy de facto if not official patricians. Were "the mob" all over the city still considered plebeians or were they an even lower thing?

Also were equites patricians, plebeians, or their own things?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is Dan Carlin's current most recent episode about the Celts and Rome any good?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
For the actual historians here-

I've been studying in a lab tech program in Canada for the past two years and was totally not fulfilled, so now I'm kinda back in the US and finishing up for a history degree and want to continue with it, because I love it.

But this was my initial hesitation to do a history degree, what the gently caress are you guys doing with it? Do you have any advice on how to actually survive and make money? Canadian lab techs get recruited but I doubt any high-paying jobs will come my way no matter how many semesters of greek I take.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Southerners are so racist and dumb haha, unlike other americans who are smart and not racist

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Who would win, a roman cohort or a single tank destroyer with a supply of fuel and ammo?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 25, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
As a native francophone, it'd be super fun to just get a time machine and watch latin go from Cicero and Caesar to modern romance languages. Hell it also would be fun to see what people were speaking in Rome circa 600bc.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Aren't there a few emperors ancient authors liked who seem to benefit from short tenures? Titus as well as Nerva come to mind. Hard to piss people off if you never outlive your honeymoon phase.

Also, is there somewhere I can read about how roman naming conventions evolved? I know next to nothing beyond the basics, but in the classical republic it seems praenomen nomen cognomen is ubiquitous and basically everyone's praenomen is one of a few select ones: Gaius, Lucius, Marcus, etc. Then by the late empire names, at least of aristocrats, get a lot longer and there seem to be far more names in use. I guess some of this just comes from names of non-latin origins getting accepted as borders expand.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 18, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My favourite figure from ancient history is Gustavus Adolphus

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fishmech posted:

It's likely that the "Spanish Flu" wouldn't have spread as fast or been as bad if there hadn't been tons of extra soldiers being shipped about and tons of people already living in worse health from wartime shortages and things like that.

Didn't it get named after Spain not because it began there, but because spanish press had the luxury of reporting on the early outbreaks while most of the world was still focused on the end of the war?

Maybe luxury isn't the right word

There's a lovely horror movie on netflix where the baddie's origin story begins during the 1918 flu. It's the first time I've ever seen it mentioned anywhere remotely mainstream.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ynglaur posted:

Twilight?

Oh wow, I forgot about that. I only remembered Jasper's backstory, because the Confederacy being ruled by a cabal of vampires who wanted to keep their system of brutalizing human chattel intact is, of course, historical.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

Tom Holland is probably my favorite pop history writer because of his ability to construct a narrative out of historical facts but with only one exception his books don't really attempt to have interesting scholarly insights--they're just telling the history as a story.

Which, to be fair, is usually how you get people interested enough to actually read more scholarly works.

Unless they don't, in which case you get wehraboos and poo poo. I was reading a total war forum thread in the bath the other day because I'm a masochist, and it was basically one guy posting first-hand sources and scholarly articles about hoplite warfare vs a bunch of gamers calling him an idiot who obviously knows nothing about military history, because their view is just COMMON BASIC KNOWLEDGE (what is a series of primary sources backing up cutting-edge research compared to clocking 13 years of Rome: Total War campaigns, really??)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mr Enderby posted:

Wait is this still RTW mechanics, because that totally sounds like something that Romans would think.

AFAIK it's more that the general has to kill two or three dudes in one engagement, then it's "amazing true roman, you would not believe, MARS HATES HIM (buy this bread to receive his manly vigour)" for life, as long as the dude has good PR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd in all honestly stroke out in annoyance if some petty douche forced me to listen to them use OG latin pronunciations in an english talk for any period of time. If nothing else it breaks the cadence of the drat sentence.

It's like I speak french but I cannot stand people who insist on (usually badly) pronouncing "croissant" or "hors d'oeuvres" or whatever "correctly." These are widely-known english words. We are speaking english. Speak english.

E: I don't actually think I've ever heard anyone say "Keekeroh" out loud and I hope I never do, unless it's in a latin course.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 2, 2018