Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Has anyone read the Judith Tarr/Harry Turtledove book "Household Gods"? I mean, lol turtledove, but Tarr manages to have a believable (if endlessly irritating) female protagonist while curbing Harry's weirdest tendencies-

Its about a 20th century Los Angeles lawyer who finds modern life hectic so she drinks some wine and makes a libation on some Roman plaques she bought as a tourist... and she wakes up the next day in the body of her ancestor, a tavern operator in 2nd century Roman Austria (Carnuntum, according to wiki)

Lots and lots of 'common people' type stuff in here, day to day life of a tavern woman, serving wine to workers, dealing with there being no tampons, etc. No idea how accurate it is, but its where I learned that most Romans didn't have their own kitchen and almost always ate at wine bars and street vendors- accurate?

Also its probably historic-lol but I've been enjoying the ITV show "Plebs" which is pretty much "Ancient Roman Workaholics"- they play fast and loose as hell with chronology, and the situations the boys find themselves in are consciously more 21st century first world problems than Roman ones, but I've read that other details of the setting are sufficient to make historians not rip their genitals off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

If by rich we mean 'endowed of vast resources and the means to deploy those resources', Vladdy Putin's gotta be in the top five unless we're not counting our contemporaries

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yeah it seems like a better measure than US$(2017) would be in order
like how many jeroboams of wine/hogsheads of apples/chains of land/some more complex multiple index of those and other valuables would it be

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

bean_shadow posted:

I thought one of the ways he made money was not only buying the property of burning buildings at low prices but also controlling the fire brigade and making people fork over money in order for them to put out the fire.

civil asset forfeiture seems easier and more boring, though yeah that's the tale I first knew him from

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I'd give them time travel

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

some kind of cross between a camel and a leopard

"yeah but what were those?"

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Telsa Cola posted:

I think the real find of the thread is someone who somehow never became aware of doge memes until now.

to be fair it's from like 2012 which, internet-wise, is about as long ago as doge was from the great pyramids

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What’s a good way to say “ok boomer” in Latin?

this got me thinking- I wonder this about all kinds of languages, contemporary and ancient, but did they do sarcasm in Roman or other ancient cultures? My German teacher taught us that the way we do sarcasm in English, using tone to convey, doesn't really translate and can be confusing for non-English speakers

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

"president" used to also be an adjective, i.e. 'the president judge' instead of 'the presiding judge', and both this and the noun form is distinct from the honorific- the etymology's, you guessed it,

"wiktionary" posted:

From Old French president, from Latin praesidēns (“presiding over; president, leader”) (accusative: praesidentem). The Latin word is the substantivized present active participle of the verb praesideō (“preside over”). The verb is composed from prae (“before”) and sedeō (“sit”). The original meaning of the verb is 'to sit before' in the sense of presiding at a meeting. A secondary meaning of the verb is 'to command, to govern'. So praesidēns means 'the presiding one on a meeting' or 'governor, commander'.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Simon Belmont sighed as he unsheathed his zweihander...

in video game terms 1997 is ancient history so it's on topic to tell you that it's Alucard, who uses a zweihander, and while some historians believe that Simon Belmont might use a sword it is attested in recovered texts that he vastly favored the whip

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

is it backwards because it's carved on the obverse?

if so, imagine the flopsweat of the artisan when they realize they did it backwards

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

ohhhh of course, neat

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

euphronius posted:

Humans were so awesome

why do you say, "were"? it's not like ancients were saintly or that moderns are especially evil or violent, I mean, that's a hat made to protect someone's head while they're killing people

like the horrors of the third reich vastly overshadow those of the first, and in the span of a handful of years; but dollars to donuts if ancient Rome had 20th century German tech they would have made Hitler look like Mr Rogers

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

he would laugh all the way through the radiation poisoning, too, letting out some quip on his death bed about how it was worth it

also what did romans call whatever fried dough thing they made? wanna be able to punch up that dollars to donuts to 'denarii and [roman donuts]' next time

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

Imagine how mindbogglingly burning hot all those gimmicky super strong hot sauces would be to people in a world before the Columbian exchange brought chili peppers over where the spiciest thing you might taste is maybe black pepper.

I'm from the midwest and didn't build a tolerance until I was like 30, no imagining necessary

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

idk it does not seem to me that modern entertainment slows down heavy drinking

like people don't drink solely from boredom, there are reasons both social and behaviorally maladaptive that go into drinking to excess- and I'd daresay that- generally speaking- getting soused for cheap has been easier in the modern era than ever before

we are living in an intersection of cultures that produce a level of alienation from the rest of humanity far greater than most common folk have dealt with thru the ages- there are lots of things they had in terms of community involvement that we simply do not, lots of things to do that require sobriety, lots of people to be accountable to and responsible for.

we live in an extremely bizarre world compared to that of most humans who have ever lived, and it breaks our minds in ways they did not deal with

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

PeterCat posted:

After a brief Google search it looks like they're all very expensive in the US and don't offer much other than the novelty of being what they are.

Still, I'm surprised the US doesn't have a stock of them for airborne troopers somewhere.

if the US has plans like this, I'd bet it's a BYOB situation unless an executive at i.e. Schwinn has pals in the ranks

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

it's not just that, dirigibles were also very prone to sudden changes in atmospheric conditions- the Hindenburg is the example we think of for why the public lost faith in the technology, and it was, but it was far from the only incident- it just happened to be both a spectacular immolation -and- had journalists on the scene to record its arrival, sending that film as newsreels around the world. When you look into the history of dirigible craft, it's a lot of oopsies

now, we have much better modeling and forecasting than a century ago, but we still collectively can be surprised by a front shift, and these things matter more when a trip halfway around the globe takes half a week. Airplane gets a lil turbulence, everyone's fine- digirible might follow that turbulence directly into the ocean

I recall there being some theories about ancient balloons in mesoamerica that was briefly popular at the same time as a Civilization II scenario featured the possibility- sounds like bunk, a way to explain how we would make something like the Nazca lines today- like fabricating the balloon and gondola seems like the easy part, sourcing low-density gasses, not as much- unless there's some easy way to get Hydrogen/Helium with pre-industrial technology, which idk anything about

e: oh yah you could heat the gas, that's doable pre-industrially

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

ChaseSP posted:

Why do you need fancy technology for the Nazca lines instead of just figuring a way to upscale drawings with practice in non-permanent ways elsewhere.

well iirc the idea was that it's not the making of the lines that requires an aerial view, it's viewing and appreciating the lines that would indicate some kind of aerial craft
but I think that loops back into a 'this is how we enjoy the nazca lines- from airplanes. it must be how the original creators enjoyed them, too' fallacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Grevling posted:

Going to get really into the Gallic Empire since it hasn't been claimed by fascists.

why not hawai'i