Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The all thing started in 930 and its the coolest sounding parliament ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

This is cool

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2019/07/ancient-dna-reveal-philistine-origins/

So the philistines might have been a mixed group of sea people that settled down?

I wonder how much of the Santorini eruption was the drive for the sea people, I know there is a significant difference between the time of the eruption and the time they show up in Egypt, but I'm wondering if it wasn't the kind of event that scared a bunch of people,and they spent the next centuries just getting further away from it.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Ras Het posted:

I took a quick look at the UN statistics, and it looks like Egypt produces more rice than South Korea. None of the European countries are major producers, but Portugal is the only place I've actually seen rice paddies irl, and they sell Italian and Spanish rice in every shop here (Finland)

In Portugal it was probably introduced by the Moors in the 8th/9th century.its first mentioned in some writings from the 14th century and was considered a delicacy only for kings and nobles.mass plantations only started around the 18th century. sweet rice with cinnamon is delicious, apparently even the buddha recommended it.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of cake and sweet wines, i''m assuming everyone used honey before sugar came around.How big where beekeepers in rome or greece? Is there any remains of ancient bee farms around?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

I'd agree that economics is a social science, but I don't think anything it says in regards to how to utilize this fact are particularly useful. States may be overwhelmingly more powerful than the average person, but it pales to the power of the billions of irrational actors all making horrible decisions every day.

Is there a sort of easy overview of mmt out there. It seems interesting but I find it difficult to believe it's particularly useful

There isn't a easy overview because it's all inside baseball, but this might help.

MMT are basically cranck keynesians, which in itself is a non dominant tradition of economics, but the main takeaway is that they are only mildly wrong since 2008, while orthodox economics, especially macro, have been staggeringly wrong.

Also I'm gonna put the most fun and usefull paper on macroeconomics here. Paul Romer is a big deal in economics and more people should listen to him.

Then for further fun just Google "austerity spreadsheet error" and live in perpetual rage.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

The problem is also that while micro econ is pretty useful and accurate for the limited scope where they can be reliably applied, macroeconomics, the thing that basically influences everything in our society is little better than reading chicken entrails.
Compounded by the fact that most politicians , if they have any economics training at all and helps them push their desired perspective, it's in macro.

If you want a example, just check nordhaus nobel prize winning work and how it was profoundly wrong and a disaster for climate change.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Small numbers, big numbers, fake numbers - it isn't that hard.

Unreal numbers, infinity numbers, just cribbing from game engines really.
Aleph? Is it a number or engine? Ah, screw you it's both.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Not roman, but diogenes would be a absolutely legendary poster.

Plotinus as the "well, actshually" guy

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

euphronius posted:

“gently caress” is such an amazing work I hope other cultures had words as good as it

Not gonna lie, it's pretty good, simple, strong, multi-purpose.
"Merda" is however superior to "poo poo". "Perkele" is also pretty good, though it does not refer to any bodily functions or excretions as far as I'm aware.
"Filho da puta" is about on par with "son of a whore" in terms of vernacular satisfaction, both much better than the mediocre "son of a bitch"

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

I'm willing to believe the Vikings circumnavigated the globe in 750 just for the hell of it and didn't tell anyone. They seem to have gone almost everywhere anyway.

This is almost more impressive than the Americas because the Azores high pressure system makes sailing from northern france and the UK very tricky