Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Superhero movies are one where it’s not uncommon for sequels to outdo the original. Sometimes even the 3rd movie pulls it off.

My guess would be because you get the origin out of the way.

This is exemplified in Thor: Ragnarok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Aphrodite posted:

Superhero movies are one where it’s not uncommon for sequels to outdo the original. Sometimes even the 3rd movie pulls it off.

My guess would be because you get the origin out of the way.

This is a trap they make for themselves, though. Studios have convinced themselves that every superhero series needs to start with the origin story, even if we already know it. So it's not even that 'superhero sequels are better', it's more 'superhero debuts are worse'. It doesn't even have to be that way, because it's not true of most of the big superhero movies before, like, Spider-Man. Reeves' Superman didn't have to have an origin story, the 1989 Batman only kinda did by basically intertwining Batman's origin into an otherwise normal Batman/Joker story, Blade didn't even pretend to bother, X-Men was more an 'introduction story' than an 'origin' for everyone but, like, Rogue.

It's probably just Spider-Man and Iron Man accidentally setting a precedent everyone's now scared to deviate from. Raimi's Spider-Man specifically wanted to have a story about Spidey's early days, Iron Man had the challenge of introducing what was basically a C-lister with a relatively complex concept to a wider audience (a problem Blade didn't have, everyone understands 'vampire hunter'). Now everyone just goes 'but we need to do an origin story' without asking if they REALLY need to do an origin story.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Captain Monkey posted:

This is exemplified in Thor: Ragnarok.

Thor bucked the trend by starting good, getting bad, and then a redeeming 3rd movie.

And Spiderman: Homecoming at least spared us a third Spidey origin story in less than 2 decades. It also finally gave us an age appropriate Aunt May.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

This is a trap they make for themselves, though. Studios have convinced themselves that every superhero series needs to start with the origin story, even if we already know it. So it's not even that 'superhero sequels are better', it's more 'superhero debuts are worse'. It doesn't even have to be that way, because it's not true of most of the big superhero movies before, like, Spider-Man. Reeves' Superman didn't have to have an origin story, the 1989 Batman only kinda did by basically intertwining Batman's origin into an otherwise normal Batman/Joker story, Blade didn't even pretend to bother, X-Men was more an 'introduction story' than an 'origin' for everyone but, like, Rogue.

It's probably just Spider-Man and Iron Man accidentally setting a precedent everyone's now scared to deviate from. Raimi's Spider-Man specifically wanted to have a story about Spidey's early days, Iron Man had the challenge of introducing what was basically a C-lister with a relatively complex concept to a wider audience (a problem Blade didn't have, everyone understands 'vampire hunter'). Now everyone just goes 'but we need to do an origin story' without asking if they REALLY need to do an origin story.

Reminded how X-Men was made basically as a superhero concept where they didn't have to do origin stories.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I don't really mind a new origin story, if it's done well, but Spiderman - everyone had ready seen it twice. Gets just a tad boring.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krispy Wafer posted:

Thor bucked the trend by starting good, getting bad, and then a redeeming 3rd movie.

C'mon, it started "alright", I don't know about "good". Certainly the third movie more than made up for the shortcomings of the first two.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Bruce Wayne’s parents being murdered at least a dozen times at this point. Didn’t they even shoehorn it into Suicide Squad for no reason?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Memento posted:

C'mon, it started "alright", I don't know about "good". Certainly the third movie more than made up for the shortcomings of the first two.

I mean, going back to it now it's kind of just "alright" but I remember thining it was pretty good when it came out- superhero movies have just come a pretty decent way since then, so it's kind of generic and not up to the standards of, say, any marvel movie since Cap 2. That was the point where Marvel movies started really doing their own thing beyond "2000's superhero movie" stuff.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I mean, going back to it now it's kind of just "alright" but I remember thining it was pretty good when it came out- superhero movies have just come a pretty decent way since then, so it's kind of generic and not up to the standards of, say, any marvel movie since Cap 2. That was the point where Marvel movies started really doing their own thing beyond "2000's superhero movie" stuff.

A friend of mine was planning on watching all the marvel movies in order, and we were talking about Thor (amongst others), and I'd totally agree; For its time it was pretty good. You have to consider the majority of comic book movies that came before it, and considering that its Thor, so its not just a "heres a dude with powers/a suit that give him powers in a world roughly the same as ours" but instead having to introduce "Yeah, there are super powerful aliens who are sort of the norse gods, but also sort of not really?", and was the most out there of the first few marvel movies in terms of design (the Kirby inspired Asgardians as opposed to Iron Man or Hulk where again most of the world looks like ours, and most people dress like real people).

Its just that marvel movies fairly quickly moved to the point where they didnt have to be just "superhero movie" but could be "space opera with superheroes" or "heist move, with superheroes", so in comparison to movies that came out within a few years of it Thor 1 looks kind of unambitious and by the numbers. I know a lot of people get sniffy about marvel movies, but if nothing else you have to be impressed that Marvel, over the course of a decade, got to the point where they can make successful (and fun) summer blockbuster movies out of the Guardians of the Galaxy and goddamn Ant Man. I've been a comic book fan since I was a kid, and the worst of the MCU movies is still miles above the quality of the average comicbook movie of the 90s.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

It reminds me of Peter Capaldi's turn as The doctor - he looks terrifying, can be ruthless, but internally he is a fairly good person even if he has to make hard decisions (despite his thoughtless cruelty in Kill the Moon, a bad episode with a good final scene) - his entire character is summed up in one exchange with Clara:

Clara: "We'll do good cop bad cop, I'll be good cop"
Doctor: "Why can't I be good cop for a change?"
Clara: "We've talked about this..."
Doctor: "Oh, right... the eyebrows..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oWJGaUXmKA

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I really liked the first Thor since the whole fish out of water thing worked well with an Asgardian asking for the largest dog to ride. Mjölnir also set up some good physical comedy. As far as origin stories go it felt pretty natural and not forced. The second film was just terrible though. I honestly had issues* with the third, but it was wondrous compared to what came immediately before it.

*Hela is supposed to be half-dead dammit. At least give her a cloudy eye and maybe a slightly worse complexion on half her face.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Roblo posted:

I don't really mind a new origin story, if it's done well, but Spiderman - everyone had ready seen it twice. Gets just a tad boring.

Spider-Verse has a lot of jokes about this.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I really liked the first Thor since the whole fish out of water thing worked well with an Asgardian asking for the largest dog to ride. Mjölnir also set up some good physical comedy. As far as origin stories go it felt pretty natural and not forced. The second film was just terrible though. I honestly had issues* with the third, but it was wondrous compared to what came immediately before it.

*Hela is supposed to be half-dead dammit. At least give her a cloudy eye and maybe a slightly worse complexion on half her face.

That's the least of the liberties the franchise takes with North mythology, you just gotta roll with it

I love that the whole concept of the movie is basically Asgard's imperialist past and suppression of its bloody history of conquest and colonialism come back to bite it. Also the 'prisoners with jobs' line.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

SiKboy posted:

A friend of mine was planning on watching all the marvel movies in order, and we were talking about Thor (amongst others)

I'm doing a MCU marathon at the moment, just watched Civil War which I still love.

The first Thor movie is fun, but kinda feels like filler in the series. Thor 2 I watched three weeks ago and I'd be hard pressed to tell you anything about it. At the time of watching, I noted that the plot, script, and acting were all fine, but the direction made the entire thing dull as dishwater, and my inability to remember it backs this up.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Krispy Wafer posted:

And Spiderman: Homecoming at least spared us a third Spidey origin story in less than 2 decades. It also finally gave us an age appropriate Aunt May.

I maintain that if they ever show Uncle Ben, he need to be Jason Alexander.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BioEnchanted posted:

his entire character is summed up in one exchange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I mean... While she is the right age in terms of how old you'd expect the aunt of a high schooler to be, it's not comic accurate, at least not the ones until maybe the 2000s/Ultimate series.

Aunt May was always portrayed as an old lady one fall in the shower away from death. To the point that for a long while I assumed she was a great aunt because of how old she looked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Bruce Wayne’s parents being murdered at least a dozen times at this point. Didn’t they even shoehorn it into Suicide Squad for no reason?

Everyone else in the superhero business is getting a multi-picture deal these days, why not Thomas Wayne?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I mean... While she is the right age in terms of how old you'd expect the aunt of a high schooler to be, it's not comic accurate, at least not the ones until maybe the 2000s/Ultimate series.

Aunt May was always portrayed as an old lady one fall in the shower away from death. To the point that for a long while I assumed she was a great aunt because of how old she looked.

Yeah, great-aunt versus aunt makes a lot of difference and it's weird it's never been addressed. In Amazing Spider-man, Parker's dad is played by Campbell Scott and his Uncle Ben is Martin Sheen, which age-wise could mean brothers (20 or so year difference) or uncle/nephew. I think that's the only time I've seen an actor play Parker's dad so I don't have anything else to go by for reference. Not sure if he's ever showed up in the comics.

It's just odd that we got a Black Spider-man before we got an Aunt May who isn't old as poo poo. Now we have some variety (Spiderverse Spider-man's Aunt May being at least not elderly).

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MichiganCubbie posted:

Joe Pesci.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, great-aunt versus aunt makes a lot of difference and it's weird it's never been addressed. In Amazing Spider-man, Parker's dad is played by Campbell Scott and his Uncle Ben is Martin Sheen, which age-wise could mean brothers (20 or so year difference) or uncle/nephew. I think that's the only time I've seen an actor play Parker's dad so I don't have anything else to go by for reference. Not sure if he's ever showed up in the comics.

It's just odd that we got a Black Spider-man before we got an Aunt May who isn't old as poo poo. Now we have some variety (Spiderverse Spider-man's Aunt May being at least not elderly).

Spiderverse Aunt May was also apparently a friend of Liv.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Doc Ock / Aunt May relationship went down the same way in Miles' universe as it did in the comics

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RandomFerret posted:

The Doc Ock / Aunt May relationship went down the same way in Miles' universe as it did in the comics

Isn't that just a fan cover and not an actual thing based entirely on a throwaway line that fandom took and ran with?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not exactly. Dr. Octopus did marry Aunt May.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
In that timeline Uncle Ben is a divorced man living in a sad IKEA furnished apartment after Aunt May came out. They're still friends though.

Who is the Spider-man shooting the web? The dead Spider-man? How is that scene even happening?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MichiganCubbie posted:

I don't follow Spiderman at all (though enough to get this reference), but I'd absolutely love to see this.

RandomFerret posted:

Chris Farley's Shrek hews much closer to the original book, which would have made a terrible movie

There was a book?!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Krispy Wafer posted:

In that timeline Uncle Ben is a divorced man living in a sad IKEA furnished apartment after Aunt May came out. They're still friends though.

Who is the Spider-man shooting the web? The dead Spider-man? How is that scene even happening?

It's an adventure before he died.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In the show Friends, during the episode about rosss sandwich, he has a mental breakdown after his boss confessed to throwing away the sandwich. Even though the boss appears in one later episode, it’s heavily implied Ross has actually murdered his boss because of the sandwich ordeal

TLDR: Ross cross boss after sandwich toss

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

oldpainless posted:

In the show Friends, during the episode about rosss sandwich, he has a mental breakdown after his boss confessed to throwing away the sandwich. Even though the boss appears in one later episode, it’s heavily implied Ross has actually murdered his boss because of the sandwich ordeal

The moistmaker?!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

oldpainless posted:

https://youtu.be/gG62zay3kck

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't follow Spiderman at all (though enough to get this reference), but I'd absolutely love to see this.

There was a book?!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, the book is just "Shrek is ugly and stinks to high hell, everyone hates him and he LOVES it. He meets a donkey. He's awful a bunch and then meets a princess who's also very very ugly and they both LOVE it." I forget if they have very ugly kids at the end, but they definitely get married.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

oldpainless posted:

What is this, a The Sun headline?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

oldpainless posted:

Was this in the game?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Why does that book talk about Shrek's sizzling hot knob

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Oh jeez, alright, let's do this ONE more time

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yes, Peter's parents both show up in the comics (kind of). At some point during Spider-man's history it is revealed that both his parents were spies working for SHIELD. When Peter is pretty young (6-ish) they go on a secret mission and don't return - they supposedly died in a plane crash. He's not told of their secret lives, but I forget what their cover story is. They are later branded as double agents, working for the Red Skull/Hydra and traitors to the USA (They actually weren't). Oh and Peter has a sister or half-sister. Maybe. During the 90's (when most stupid comic book poo poo happened) Peter's parents suddenly appeared at Aunt May's doorstep one day and there's a grand reunion. Until it turns out that they were fakes (robot/clone duplicates) sent to kill Peter in a revenge scheme concocted by...oh you've dozed off I see.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Didn't he also have like a half sister or something that had the same spider powers as him, somehow, and was an assassin? I think the dude that was in charge of her was called something like The Gentleman.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was about to ask if Paula Parker had powers too because those abilities aren’t genetic, but...comics.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Didn't he also have like a half sister or something that had the same spider powers as him, somehow, and was an assassin? I think the dude that was in charge of her was called something like The Gentleman.

There was someone who went by “Silk” who was bitten by the same spider that got Spider-Man. She had the same powers and was kept in a facility or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

rotinaj posted:

There was someone who went by “Silk” who was bitten by the same spider that got Spider-Man. She had the same powers and was kept in a facility or some poo poo.

And she and Peter were drawn together by their Spidey-senses or something and got mad rutty.