Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

CaptainCrunch posted:

Is that the one where they’re driving around with aluminum foil on the car windows, no fangs, but the vamps are REALLY flammable?

Dang, I haven’t seen that in decades and I once loved that flic.
Time to dig.

Yeah, the lack of fangs is a little weird, but I thought the aluminum foil was a nice touch. It was neat watching this years later because now I recognize all the Bigalow/Cameron actors like the ‘’your clothes and your motorcycle” guy from Terminator 2 and Vasquez from Aliens.

And how have these guys survived hundreds of years and they still get surprised by sunrise. Daylight savings time must really screw them up every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Cleretic posted:

I would like to request that everybody spoiler tag all mentions of Batman and The Joker being in The Dark Knight, because I think it makes for a really interesting surprise if people don't know that coming in.

Hey, take your own drat advice! I just watched Batman Begins and I had no idea what was coming up in the sequel. Was saving that for a special occasion, but now, what's the point.

Also, reminder to tag your pomegranate pictures as "gore".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
In Pineapple Express, Kevin Corrigan is always complaining that Craig Robinson is keeping him from going home to his wife (I can't remember the character names sorry).

But also, Danny McBride is waiting for his wife to come home.

I propose to you that they are each others' wives, and the whole taped-to-a-chair torture is a sex game to them.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, the lack of fangs is a little weird, but I thought the aluminum foil was a nice touch. It was neat watching this years later because now I recognize all the Bigalow/Cameron actors like the ‘’your clothes and your motorcycle” guy from Terminator 2 and Vasquez from Aliens.

And how have these guys survived hundreds of years and they still get surprised by sunrise. Daylight savings time must really screw them up every year.

I took the no fangs as a stylistic choice back in the day.

Also poo poo yeah. DST screws me up coming and going every drat year.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

In Pineapple Express, Kevin Corrigan is always complaining that Craig Robinson is keeping him from going home to his wife (I can't remember the character names sorry).

But also, Danny McBride is waiting for his wife to come home.

I propose to you that they are each others' wives, and the whole taped-to-a-chair torture is a sex game to them.
:hmmyes:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Near Dark was on Criterion streaming like two months ago. Sorry that’s no help but maybe it will be back

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

MichiganCubbie posted:

I really liked that. We're basically seeing the movie from Audie McDowell's perspective from one of the last loops in Groundhog Day.

You mean Audie Murphy?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Gargamel Gibson posted:

You mean Audie Murphy?

No stupid, they mean Eddie Murphy

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Murphy Brown living her best day, over and over again.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I think they mean Andy Rooney

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Ugh, I totally meant Mickey Rooney, guys!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Groundhog Day with Mickey Rourke and every day's the same, but he gets weirder and weirder looking.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Every night he goes into the telepod from the Fly with a catcher's mitt

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MichiganCubbie posted:

Ugh, I totally meant Mickey Rooney, guys!

I loved him in 9 1/2 Weeks.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
You're thinking of the sequel, 28 weeks later.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

You're thinking of the sequel, 28 weeks later.

I thought that was Sandra Bullock.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

It was Andy Garcia

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Ape of Naples posted:

I thought that was Sandra Bullock.

Close.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
But Eddie Money's dead... :confused:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

John Murdoch posted:

Still alive!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Oh. I remember that episode. Poor Monroe.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

No more Mr. Quick. Mr. Quick, dead, yes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

John Murdoch posted:

Excuse me, Sherman Klump is still bumpin' and grindin'.

Women do shop.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

A Terrible Person posted:

No more Mr. Quick. Mr. Quick, dead, yes.

Poor, poor Mr. Quick.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When Gaston first points out Belle to his friend he points his gun at her

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The three girls that swoon around Gaston are credited as "the bimbettes," as in they are like bimbos but diminutive. Gross.

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

Baron von Eevl posted:

The three girls that swoon around Gaston are credited as "the bimbettes," as in they are like bimbos but diminutive. Gross.

I’m not going to argue that calling them “Bimbettes” isn’t gross, because it is. However, the “ette” suffix is not diminutive, but feminine, and “bimbo” was originally masculine. Additionally, their names are Paulette, Laurette, and Claudette, so the “ette” is probably just from that.

Something good that the live-action movie did was call them Village Lasses instead of Bimbettes.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

"Bimbo" was still gender-neutral to the late 80s, with bimbette and himbo both originating in that decade to indicate which you were talking about.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Bilbo's actual name was "Bilba" but Tolkien didn't want you to think his hero was a lady

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Byzantine posted:

"Bimbo" was still gender-neutral to the late 80s, with bimbette and himbo both originating in that decade to indicate which you were talking about.

Super weird how the only one of these three terms that developed into an endearing and debatably positive title is the one that's exclusively used to refer to men.

Total coincidences are crazy like that.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Bilbo's actual name was "Bilba" but Tolkien didn't want you to think his hero was a lady

J.R.R. Tolkien deciding that he needed to figure out a bunch of character names in the "original" language of Middle-Earth, since obviously the characters weren't diegetically speaking English, is the most endearingly dorky thing in the history of the world

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
JRRT seemed like a nice old chap:

quote:

At long last, after the three volumes were successfully launched, he became what [C.S.] Lewis called ‘cock-a-hoop’ and talked with great enthusiasm of the fate of the pirated paperback version and the astonishing growth of the Tolkien cult. He enjoyed receiving letters in Elvish from boys at Winchester and from knowing that they were using it as a secret language. He was overwhelmed by his fan mail and would-be visitors. It was wonderful to have at long last plenty of money, more than he knew what to do with. He once began a meeting with me by saying: ‘I’ve been a poor man all my life, but now for the first time I’ve a lot of money. Would you like some?’

— George Sayer, “Recollections of J.R.R. Tolkien,” in Joseph Pearce, ed., Tolkien: A Celebration, 1999

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Look all I'm saying is that I trust Tolkien and he thought o was a masculine ending and a was a feminine ending so it would be bimbos and bimbas and yes little ones would be bimbettes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Why call them Rockettes when Pebbles would suffice? :thunk:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's also a loaf of bread.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Byzantine posted:

I never knew Bimbo was gender neutral, but it does make sense now that Ray referred time Vigo the Carpathian as “the bimbo with the baby.”

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I never knew Bimbo was gender neutral, but it does make sense now that Ray referred time Vigo the Carpathian as “the bimbo with the baby.”

I always assumed Ray was just feminizing Vigo, because of his long hair.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

*ahem*

That line was said by Peter. :goonsay:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Betty Boop's dog boyfriend is called Bimbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bitterandtwisted posted:

Betty Boop's dog boyfriend is called Bimbo

It was a somewhat common character name in the 19th century but by the 1920s it also came to mean a 'floozie' and it got re-popularised in the 1980s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBBuHa7e608