Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was Shield that got him and his massively leveraged and potentially open to a massive security breach company kicked off or at least signed up damage control to kick em off. It's been a long time since I've seen the film though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!
He may have been well off, but his motivations were sound. I imagine he's not the only modern father who's daughter's boyfriend had a web-presence that he didn't care for.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Damage Control is a government body created in partnership with Stark in the movie.

The implication is Stark provides the gear needed to handle alien stuff.

Tony didn’t personally kick Toomes out. That’s kind of the point, though. He blames Stark even though he isn’t even part of Stark Industries since Iron Man 3.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Flint_Paper posted:

He may have been well off, but his motivations were sound. I imagine he's not the only modern father who's daughter's boyfriend had a web-presence that he didn't care for.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Flint_Paper posted:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

I read the joke, saw this reply, and then tried to turn on my monitor.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Molina Ock had that scene where he had Peter to dinner and he’s wearing a sweater, drinking wine, talking about poetry and courting his wife, he comes off as pretty well off there but idk maybe that’s just the academia version of a 30k millionaire

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I thought it was Shield that got him and his massively leveraged and potentially open to a massive security breach company kicked off or at least signed up damage control to kick em off. It's been a long time since I've seen the film though.

I also haven't seen it in quite a while, but yeah, I'd never thought about it from that angle since financial problems is one of the big things that makes the government not want to give you a security clearance.

Tenkaris posted:

Molina Ock had that scene where he had Peter to dinner and he’s wearing a sweater, drinking wine, talking about poetry and courting his wife, he comes off as pretty well off there but idk maybe that’s just the academia version of a 30k millionaire

That just seems like any college professor regardless of income. Especially if that's the image you're trying to project.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Tenkaris posted:

Are you implying that only the super-rich can wear sweaters and... have wives? She is his partner in science too, maybe they both work and have salaries and are pooling their resources so that they can afford their cool science poo poo. Or maybe they got a grant from some government agency to research new energies. Wine, poetry and marriage aren't things that are out of reach to the middle classes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The saddest thing about Molina ock is that he was a genuinely good dude until the accident. Osborn (both, I guess) was a prick before and after the goblin gas, but ock was a decent guy.

Same with electro. Max was a chill dude who was nerdy as gently caress, but he fell into a big vat of electric eels and boom, rear end in a top hat.

I think movie wise, ock and sandman were the only 2 kinda decent human beings before they got hosed up. Everyone else seems to embrace that power corrupts logic.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No Way Home mostly sticks with the original characterisations, except that Jamie Foxx is changed into “basically just Jamie Foxx”

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The saddest thing about Molina ock is that he was a genuinely good dude until the accident. Osborn (both, I guess) was a prick before and after the goblin gas, but ock was a decent guy.

Same with electro. Max was a chill dude who was nerdy as gently caress, but he fell into a big vat of electric eels and boom, rear end in a top hat.

I think movie wise, ock and sandman were the only 2 kinda decent human beings before they got hosed up. Everyone else seems to embrace that power corrupts logic.

That's my favourite aspect of 2. Doc Ock is genuinely likeable and sympathetic and his supervillainy comes off as a psychotic break of some kind rather than just permission to be a completely evil shithead. Not that *that* isn't fun too! But it makes the ending work so well. Alfred Molina is a treasure and I was very startled the first time I heard him speak out of character and found out he's not American.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't seen Spiderman 2 since it was recent but isn't the films pretty explicit about how he's still a good dude but the malfunctioning tentacle AI is controlling him or at least influencing him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HopperUK posted:

That's my favourite aspect of 2. Doc Ock is genuinely likeable and sympathetic and his supervillainy comes off as a psychotic break of some kind rather than just permission to be a completely evil shithead. Not that *that* isn't fun too! But it makes the ending work so well. Alfred Molina is a treasure and I was very startled the first time I heard him speak out of character and found out he's not American.

That's pretty much it, and NWH makes it thoroughly explicit with the characters realising his tentacles have taken over his mind. Kinda the implication is; the tentacles have their own inbuilt AI so they can function for their primary task- their ONLY directive is to contain and manage a fusion reaction, and they'll do anything to make sure they get to fulfil that purpose. The point of the inhibitor chip was to keep the operator in control, and of course they built that to be fragile and exposed.

Does get interesting with Doc Ock interacting with the MCU's implicitly more advanced technology, like the Extremis nanomachines that make up the Iron Spider suit being able to override his crude industrial implants, and how impressed he is by the Arc Reactor, being basically very similar to the kind of power source he was developing.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 13:27 on Jan 6, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

I haven't seen Spiderman 2 since it was recent but isn't the films pretty explicit about how he's still a good dude but the malfunctioning tentacle AI is controlling him or at least influencing him.

Yep! And in No Way Home they fix it and he’s a good guy for the rest of the movie

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Fun fact, Alfred Molina used to have the most Lego figurines. The guy from Indiana Jones, Doc Ock, and a Prince of Persia role that no one saw. But now they count voice over actors so it's someone who did like 8 different Clone Wars characters.

Doc Ock in 'No Way Home' having curly hair bothers me. If traveling the metaverse gives you a little perm then they should at least be consistent and give it to both Peter Parkers too.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Fun fact, Alfred Molina used to have the most Lego figurines. The guy from Indiana Jones, Doc Ock, and a Prince of Persia role that no one saw. But now they count voice over actors so it's someone who did like 8 different Clone Wars characters.

Doc Ock in 'No Way Home' having curly hair bothers me. If traveling the metaverse gives you a little perm then they should at least be consistent and give it to both Peter Parkers too.
Alfred Molina has 3
Warwick Davis has 5
https://brickset.com/article/51885/which-actor-has-the-most-minifigures
:goonsay:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

gently caress that. Voice actors don't count.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Maybe Warwick hadn't had a couple of those roles when Molina was still number 1 or maybe they were tied. It's a fluid list.

Also Warwick Davis is still surprisingly young so he has at least a few more minifigs in his future.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's that and other aspects of Ghostbusters that make me think there really would be something in a reboot or sequel or reimagining or whatever, just not at all like the ones we've been getting so far.

Yeah, make the secondary villain a pest control corporation who want to corner this new market, so they steal the invention with slick lawyers and crooked city council officials, drive the Ghostbusters out of business, and then cut corners in the interest of profit which is what causes the big ghost escape that the Ghostbusters have to swoop in at the last minute to fix.

This thing just writes itself!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

If traveling the metaverse gives you a little perm then they should at least be consistent and give it to both Peter Parkers too.

Plentiful permed Peters Parker, please

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Whybird posted:

Yeah, make the secondary villain a pest control corporation who want to corner this new market, so they steal the invention with slick lawyers and crooked city council officials, drive the Ghostbusters out of business, and then cut corners in the interest of profit which is what causes the big ghost escape that the Ghostbusters have to swoop in at the last minute to fix.

This thing just writes itself!

The comics actually pretty much did this kinda arc, with the knockoff Ghostsmashers run by a character who's obviously 'played' by Chevy Chase.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe Warwick hadn't had a couple of those roles when Molina was still number 1 or maybe they were tied. It's a fluid list.

Also Warwick Davis is still surprisingly young so he has at least a few more minifigs in his future.

In 10 years Chris Pratt will have more than both combined

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If Chris Pratt is still alive in ten years then my plans will have failed

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Please use his proper name of Crisp Rat

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

oldpainless posted:

Please use his proper name of Crisp Rat

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

BioEnchanted posted:

Are you implying that only the super-rich can wear sweaters and... have wives? She is his partner in science too, maybe they both work and have salaries and are pooling their resources so that they can afford their cool science poo poo. Or maybe they got a grant from some government agency to research new energies. Wine, poetry and marriage aren't things that are out of reach to the middle classes.

Yes, precisely, you nailed it.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Hatter posted:

I wouldn't call anyone who owns a company big enough to even bid on a project that size "blue collar" even if they are a small fry compared to Tony Stark. Even then, I don't think Stark's clout was the biggest reason the government took the contract away from the guy yelling out in the open about how he wants to salvage alien weapons to sell to people. If a nuclear bomber crashes (again) they don't let Pull-A-Part do the salvage, they get someone who already builds nuclear weapons to do it.

He still should have been compensated though. It was probably in his contact too if he hadn't been more concerned with selling ray guns to gang members.

He wasnt just a guy with a shovel but he mentions how he spend a lot of money and hired a lot of people to do the job. It probably was wrong to give him the job in the first place but the city probably didn't have anyone with experience in disposing alien weapons on hand and did what they usually do and picked the lowest bidder.
He also never talks about selling alien weaponry or anything like that. That only starts after he loses the job, its not the reason hes not keeping it.

Same with the fancy house. Of course he has a fancy house, hes a black market arms dealer. Hes making a shitton of money now. We never see how he lived before that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I may have mentioned this one already but in The King of Comedy, Deniro's Rupert Pupkin introduces himself a few times and says his name is "often misspelled and mispronounced" and not one character in the film ever pronounces his name correctly.

Rupert Pumpkin, Pipkin, Punkin, Puppin, Puntkin, Puffin, Pickton, Pukkin...

It's a great running gag in a really great movie.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Thank you for mispronouncing pupkin

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Philippe posted:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Philippe posted:

King of Comedy is a lost gem in Scorcese's catalog and I wish it got more love and notoriety. Nobody ever even really talked about it until Joker came out (since that movie is practically a remake) and it's full of really clever moments. Deniro's use of body language has a lot of good subtle moments that help to describe his character really well.

One little thing I caught on my recent re-watch was that Rupert carries this briefcase around with him that has "all his material" in it and to make him look important but when he gets bounced from Jerry Lewis' office, he sits down outside and it only has a bologna sandwich in it.

His taking the time to write badly written and poorly paced kidnapper cue cards that he winds up dropping and having a blank one and an upside down one in his deck is pure gold. Then he backs up after he fucks up to re-cue Jerry with cards that only have one word on each one and tries to act professional about it.

Here's the scene I'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqew6ulya_g

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

One little thing I caught on my recent re-watch was that Rupert carries this briefcase around with him that has "all his material" in it and to make him look important but when he gets bounced from Jerry Lewis' office, he sits down outside and it only has a bologna sandwich in it.

Hey, you don't wanna do standup on an empty stomach.

Does come to mind that Simpsons episode with the pudding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MLclVNkPeE It's a joke, yeah, but Homer's brain is representing his base needs here- and he's not going to be doing any effective thinking while he's famished.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
I was watching Wild Wild West for like the first time in 20 years and caught this absolute gem:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

spookykid posted:

I was watching Wild Wild West for like the first time in 20 years and caught this absolute gem:

Am I missing something? Brass hearing aids in that shape where all the rage before technology made them obsolete:

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Jan 19, 2022

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That Italian Guy posted:

Am I missing something

yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Master%27s_Voice

Not sure it warrants a spoiler but the post in question has one

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Ah, nice one! Completely missed that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahah that’s super cool

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That was based on a real dog, too. They only used paintings and etchings for the logo because this is what happened when they tried to film it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Haha, those guys are properly cracking up