Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

ServoMST3K posted:

I am so numb, I couldn't look at myself in the mirror

Yo man this sounds pretty dark you should talk to somebody about these feelings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

owl_pellet posted:

should talk to somebody about these feelings

I guess someone might be ready to believe him, but who's he gonna call?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The LotR trilogy was absolutely loaded with subtleties, in-jokes and obscure references. The imdb trivia pages list a bunch of them:

quote:

Although David Bowie was said to be keen on playing Elf Lord Elrond, the part went instead to Hugo Weaving.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that would've owned (though Weaving was pretty great in that role anyway)

quote:

While Christopher Lee was always Peter Jackson's first choice for the role of Saruman. Jackson did consider Tim Curry, Jeremy Irons and Malcolm McDowell for the role.
Those might've been even cooler to see.

E: Forgot about this-

quote:

During the council scene in Rivendell when the fate of the Ring is being decided, when Boromir makes his plea for the Ring to be brought to Gondor, the "Gondor theme" can faintly be heard; in "Return of the King", when the characters finally reach Gondor, this theme is heard as a full orchestral piece. Composer Howard Shore didn't plan out that this Rivendell background music would develop into the "Gondor main theme" by the third film, but it ultimately did evolve into it.

I loved it when I realized this, but I thought that Howard planned for this all along (which would be far cooler in my mind)

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Jun 7, 2012

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

C-Euro posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that would've owned (though Weaving was pretty great in that role anyway)
And Daniel Day-Lewis was approached to play Aragorn. Imagine how loving awesome that would have been.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

IMDB posted:

The Tolkien estate was never in favor of Peter Jackson's film adaptation but seeing as J.R.R. Tolkien signed the rights away in 1968 for $15,000, there was nothing they could do about it. Tolkien's grandson Simon came out in support of the production and was disowned by his relatives. Tolkien's son Christopher Tolkien later retracted any opposition.

Holy poo poo. :smith:

quote:

Although Bill the pony is a feature of the novel, the writers initially decided not to include him as the Fellowship make their journey for the simple logistical reason of transporting a horse deep into the mountains. The problem was solved in the more difficult shots by using the classic pantomime trick of dressing two people up as a horse, one at the front and one at the back.

Wait really? I did not notice this at all.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Wait, they made all those CGI battles and couldn't fit in a CGI pony? That's awesome. I wonder what poor extras were picked to be Sam the pony.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Smelly posted:

Holy poo poo. :smith:

I think they just want to profit off of their famous relative

Atticus Bongman
Oct 12, 2009

Phy posted:

From the first page - is this just because he should have been called "Machete Coletti"?

Indeed it is.

crumpuppet
Mar 22, 2007

ROBORT > EVERYTHING

The LotR trilogy was absolutely loaded with subtleties, in-jokes and obscure references. The imdb trivia pages list a bunch of them:

Here's a close look at a whole bunch of them, plus the Helicarrier screen displays.

Goddrat they put a lot of work into stuff that most people would assume was just random lorem ipsum gibberish.

And here's the same thing for Tron Legacy, with lots of explanations. So much awesomeness in both of these links. I love this poo poo.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
I've been watching Dexter on Netflix. For those who don't know it's a show about a serial killer who is also a blood splatter analyst. In the opening credits Dexter is going through his morning routine and there is a close up of him cutting what appears to be an orange and squeezes the juice out of it. But the inside of the orange is this weird red slimy stuff that doesn't look like any orange I've ever seen before, so I often wondered what kind of fruit it was.

It's a blood orange.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

OilSlick posted:

I've been watching Dexter on Netflix. For those who don't know it's a show about a serial killer who is also a blood splatter analyst. In the opening credits Dexter is going through his morning routine and there is a close up of him cutting what appears to be an orange and squeezes the juice out of it. But the inside of the orange is this weird red slimy stuff that doesn't look like any orange I've ever seen before, so I often wondered what kind of fruit it was.

It's a blood orange.

I didn't think that one was very subtle, but I eat blood oranges very regularly so I caught that immediately. A nice touch for sure though. The whole intro to that show just shows how immensely detailed and routine oriented that he is as well which plays into exactly how he kills people.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

OilSlick posted:

It's a blood orange.

I dunno, man, for fruit-literate people, that's really not very subtle at all (but then neither is Dexter from 3rd season on).

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Last 15 posts in this thread posted:

This thing that happened is actually a really obvious thing/callback or part of the plotline- did you notice that? I did.

I'll do it too. Six minutes into "The Nines", G gives away the whole plotline and explains the whole movie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Drive spoilers I guess. Covers themes and some information about the ending

1) The core theme of the movie is explicitly stated to you with the "Frog and the Scorpion" story. The fact that the main character wears a Scorpion jacket not only reinforces it but foreshadows how the final showdown with the knife will go.

2) The driver is a literal Knight in White Satin.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Captain Finance posted:

From Monsters, Inc:

Pixar loves doing this stuff. Off the top of my head in Finding Nemo:

Boo's mobile can be seen in the corner of the Dentist's office, along with a Woody and Buzz Lightyear.

When the aquarium fish are detailing their escape plan there's a shot of them crossing the street from the perspective of being inside the bags. The truck that drives by as they approach the street is a Pizza Planet delivery truck.

And I think they hid a few Toy Story toys in the kids' rooms in Monsters, Inc.

I'm probably also missing a ton of these.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Whipstickagostop posted:

In Terminator: Salvation, Connor sets up a portable stereo playing "You Could Be Mine" by Guns N Roses to trap and re-purpose a motorbike terminator to use in a final assault on skynet.

This was the same song he was listening to in the second film, while riding his motorbike, shortly before he first met the terminator.

Maybe not so subtle but near the end when John Connor gets scratched, the scratch pattern matches the scarring seen on the 45 year old John Connor at the beginning of T2.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
For Prometheus, such a tiny touch that had no bearing on the plot or anything, just great detail:

When the camera goes to a close up of the 'blood' on David's fingertip, you can see a "W" stitched into his fingerprint.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Abugadu posted:

For Prometheus, such a tiny touch that had no bearing on the plot or anything, just great detail:

When the camera goes to a close up of the 'blood' on David's fingertip, you can see a "W" stitched into his fingerprint.

They showed this during David's "promo" video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOOJl5lWNfM

Michael Fassbender is easily the best thing about Prometheus.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Romes128 posted:

You ain't kidding. Dude channelled David Bowie and Peter O'Toole so effectively that I picked up on both influences before reading about how he styled himself on them in preparation for the role.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Razorwired posted:

Pixar loves doing this stuff. Off the top of my head in Finding Nemo:

Boo's mobile can be seen in the corner of the Dentist's office, along with a Woody and Buzz Lightyear.

When the aquarium fish are detailing their escape plan there's a shot of them crossing the street from the perspective of being inside the bags. The truck that drives by as they approach the street is a Pizza Planet delivery truck.

And I think they hid a few Toy Story toys in the kids' rooms in Monsters, Inc.

I'm probably also missing a ton of these.

The really crazy thing is when they put in stuff from movies that haven't been made yet. It started in Monsters Inc when they hid Nemo everywhere. Then in Finding Nemo there's a kid reading a Mr. Incredible comic book. Then in The Incredibles Doc Hudson from Cars is parked on the street. Then in Cars WALL-E is on a pit crew during the big race. It has gone on like that to this day. Here's the most recent:

The characters from Brave, as cars, given a place of honour in a scottish pub.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Romes128 posted:

They showed this during David's "promo" video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOOJl5lWNfM

aw. I guess that takes away the subtlety now. I tried to make sure I didn't see anything about the movie before going into it. Great promo though.

Nochte
Mar 27, 2006
Early in Hot Fuzz the Andy's are asking if they should interview everyone in the phone book starting with "Aaron A Aaronson" (or something close to that). At the end of the movie, when Pegg asks the kid that was being held as a hostage by Skinner what his name is, kid replies "Aaron Aaronson".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nochte posted:

Early in Hot Fuzz the Andy's are asking if they should interview everyone in the phone book starting with "Aaron A Aaronson" (or something close to that). At the end of the movie, when Pegg asks the kid that was being held as a hostage by Skinner what his name is, kid replies "Aaron Aaronson".

"Fascist!"

"Hag!"

When Pegg's character is new in town, he thinks a woman is calling him a fascist when really she's saying the answer to a crossword puzzle. He says "hag", as a solution to another clue on the puzzle. Later, in the gunfight at the end of the movie, the two characters scream the same words at each other.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Chamale posted:

"Fascist!"

"Hag!"

When Pegg's character is new in town, he thinks a woman is calling him a fascist when really she's saying the answer to a crossword puzzle. He says "hag", as a solution to another clue on the puzzle. Later, in the gunfight at the end of the movie, the two characters scream the same words at each other.

Right before that, he sees someone asleep by the fireplace. On the fireplace is a sword, which the guy uses to attack Pegg's character in the finale.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Chamale posted:

"Fascist!"

"Hag!"

Chekhov's crossword solution.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

In Ghost Dog, there's a moment when Forrest Whitaker walks down a populated city street. As he passes each person, they coincidentally happen to turn away from him or get distracted by something else, so not one person sees him walk by. He is effectively invisible.
The Big Lebowski does something similar with Sam Elliot's exit at the end; Elliot starts to leave crossing behind the Dude (screen) right-to-left, then midway through stops and goes the other way. The Dude follows him over his left shoulder, then turns his head to continue following over his right. From that perspective Elliot would seem to vanish.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hot Fuzz is Chekov's Gun, The Film. Fascist/Hag, "Big cop in a small town", "Ever fired two guns while flying through the air and shouting 'aaargh'", etc.

My favorite bit from that one was the custody officers, Sgts. Turner. One Sgt. Turner, played by Bill Bailey, is well-groomed, works day shift, and reads Iain Banks, a Scottish literary fiction author. The other, played by Bill Bailey, is unkempt, works at night, and reads Iain M. Banks, a Scottish science fiction writer.

Both authors are the same guy as well.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Not so subtle once you see it coming, but in Hot Fuzz (we're on a roll), almost all murders are preceded by someone making what seems like a throwaway comment and end up describing the murders. The journalist and the "whack a rat" have been mentioned, but they're a few more:

I'll spoiler everything in case someone hasn't seen it yet (shame on you).

Timothy Dalton remarks about how if someone would bash the actress's head in, a lot of secrets would come tumbling out, and Pegg says "hopefully that's last we'll see of him" after talking to the actor at the bar, right before they're both done in.

Timothy Dalton says "He'll be in bits tomorrow" and Pegg says "I wouldn't want to be him in the morning" right before one guy explodes.

The florist also says "I was just about to pop off" followed by "I can't find my scissors" right before getting stabbed by those scissors in the throat.

Prince Of Cups
Apr 13, 2007

In 50 First Dates, when the characters visit the brain injury clinic, the doctor is played by Dan Akroyd. There's a point when they're walking through the room with all of the patients, and for some reason it goes into slow motion and the audio fades out. If you listen to the doctor at that point, he mentions that "We're funded out of Sandusky, Ohio by T. B. Callahan." which is a reference to the movie Tommy Boy, in which he (Dan Akroyd) starred as a rival auto parts manufacturer.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

For high-tech tasks, a computer program called MASSIVE made armies of CG orcs, elves, and humans. These digital creations could 'think' and battle independently - identifying friend or foe - thanks to individual fields of vision. Peter Jackson's team could click on one creature in a crowd scene of 20,000 and see through his "eyes". Different species even boast unique fighting styles.

My favourite thing about this is that for one of the first times they tried to use MASSIVE to simulate a battle both armies immediately turned around and fled from the battlefield. The created soldiers all valued their lives too highly to risk going into combat.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

ActionZero posted:

My favourite thing about this is that for one of the first times they tried to use MASSIVE to simulate a battle both armies immediately turned around and fled from the battlefield. The created soldiers all valued their lives too highly to risk going into combat.

Oh my god, we're the monsters. :negative:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Chamale posted:

"Fascist!"

"Hag!"

There's also a scene in the bar where they talk about how everyone is packing guns.

Pegg asks them to give an example and they say farmers and their mothers, the first people to take a shot at Pegg are the farmers.

Also when Danny is making Nick watch movies, one of them is Bad Boys 2 and the scene shown is Martin Lawrence telling Will Smith "poo poo just got real." Later on Nick tells Danny "poo poo just got real".

Muffinpox has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Jun 9, 2012

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008
The Big Lebowski has a quick moment I only noticed on a recent viewing. During the diner scene with Walter and the Dude, the Dude pays his bill by reaching into a pocket and dropping a handful of change on the counter, also accidentally dropping a joint with it in the process. He picks it back up and puts it back in his pocket so quickly that it's easy to miss.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RandomFerret posted:

The really crazy thing is when they put in stuff from movies that haven't been made yet. It started in Monsters Inc when they hid Nemo everywhere. Then in Finding Nemo there's a kid reading a Mr. Incredible comic book. Then in The Incredibles Doc Hudson from Cars is parked on the street. Then in Cars WALL-E is on a pit crew during the big race. It has gone on like that to this day.

In Up, it's Lotso from Toy Story 3 in an apartment that the house flies by.

Tombstone.
Aug 9, 2010
Just watched Goodfellas and noticed that the name in the prison registry directly below Henry Hill is "Joe Ballibusteros".

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Pixar's attention to detail when it comes to continuity still freaks me out. Not only did they get the same kid to voice Andy in all three Toy Story films, but they even got the dude who played Sid to make a cameo in the last one--he's even wearing the same drat skull t-shirt. Another small Pixar-related thing:

During the chase scene near the end of Monster's Inc, Randall ends up in a redneck family's trailer. The trailer, of course, first showed up in A Bug's Life as the location for the "big city" Flick goes to enlist help at. (Both scenes are also notable for featuring the Pizza Planet truck, which to my knowledge has shown up somewhere in pretty much every Pixar film to date.)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm still waiting on that Jurassic Park "the helicopter scene is a microcosm of the entire film" dissertation. :mad:

OilSlick posted:

It's a blood orange.

Since you likely haven't, find some. They're usually labeled "Moro" ( :v: ) and not "Blood Orange". They're easily my absolute favorite food.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'm not sure how subtle it was, but I smiled at Toy Story 3, when the camera pans to the sky at the end, the clouds in the sky match the clouds on Andy's wallpaper.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Blood Nightmaster posted:

(Both scenes are also notable for featuring the Pizza Planet truck, which to my knowledge has shown up somewhere in pretty much every Pixar film to date.)

Yep. Pretty crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

TwoPair posted:

Yep. Pretty crazy.

Now I am actually really fascinated to see how they will fit it into Brave