Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

flavor.flv posted:

That was based on a real dog, too. They only used paintings and etchings for the logo because this is what happened when they tried to film it:

Good dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Amphigory posted:

Haha, those guys are properly cracking up
At the Schadenfreude club, sharing daguerrotypes with the other Brückes.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In the new Joel Coen version of 'Macbeth', watch the reflections in the water and the shadows, and listen carefully to the audio whenever the Weird Sister(s) is(are) onscreen.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
[quote="Imagined" post="520826236"]
In the new Joel Coen version of 'Macbeth', watch the reflections in the water and the shadows, and listen carefully to the audio whenever the Weird Sister(s) is(are) onscreen.

Or maybe you could just tell us

Edit or is this the subtle posting moments thread and i hosed up

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Jeez, I wanted to leave some element of surprise and not spoil it, gently caress me right?

The Weird Sisters are played by one actress, but when she speaks you hear other whispers of her voice overdubbed multiple times, and she casts multiple reflections and shadows.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Imagined posted:

Jeez, I wanted to leave some element of surprise and not spoil it, gently caress me right?

The Weird Sisters are played by one actress, but when she speaks you hear other whispers of her voice overdubbed multiple times, and she casts multiple reflections and shadows.

Thats pretty cool, im disappointed now that ive read it in advance

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm not a huge Shakespeare fan but Denzel Washington, Frances McDormand and the Coens loving own so I kinda wanna check this Macbeth movie out. The previews and clips I've seen look amazing but I'm not sure I can get past the dialect and all of its density.

I might get stoned on a cold rainy evening and make a double feature out it with The Green Knight.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not a huge Shakespeare fan but Denzel Washington, Frances McDormand and the Coens loving own so I kinda wanna check this Macbeth movie out. The previews and clips I've seen look amazing but I'm not sure I can get past the dialect and all of its density.

I might get stoned on a cold rainy evening and make a double feature out it with The Green Knight.

Honestly the thing to do is not worry too much about catching every word. Just let it sort of wash past you. People psych themselves out about Shakespeare and it's honestly better to miss certain things than to be all tense trying to decipher it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Denzel knows from Shakespeare and when you have an actor of that caliber who knows what they're saying and can convey it to the audience, you'll be fine. Shakespeare is much easier to understand than the reputation of his work would suggest and Macbeth's language is particularly accessible.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, Shakespeare can be easy to get tangled up in if you’re unfamiliar with the language and reading it off the page, but in action it becomes a lot clearer with the addition of tone and physicality.

When in doubt it’s probably a pun about sex. I don’t remember if that applies to this play specifically off the top of my head but as a general Shakespeare rule it works

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

christmas boots posted:

When in doubt it’s probably a pun about sex. I don’t remember if that applies to this play specifically off the top of my head but as a general Shakespeare rule it works

When in doubt assume it's a dick joke is actual, practical advice for Shakespearean tablework. Works better on his earlier plays though.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

HopperUK posted:

Honestly the thing to do is not worry too much about catching every word. Just let it sort of wash past you. People psych themselves out about Shakespeare and it's honestly better to miss certain things than to be all tense trying to decipher it.

Tell that to high school English teachers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Tell that to high school English teachers.

Yeah I’m pretty sure teachers do more to turn people off Shakespeare than anyone. Which is kind of a catch-22 because you have to actually teach something when your class is studying it, right?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Honestly it doesn't help that for some reason it's always loving Romeo and Juliet that get served up as the entry-level Shakespeare but with a presentation of it as some sort of love story despite it being about a 13 and maybe 15 year old who meet, get married, gently caress, and end up with a sizeable body count all in the course of about a week. We start off with this bowdlerized "high art" presentation of pop art about boners. If we could be honest about Shakespeare and teach the plays the way they really are and just loving relax about the canon (and maybe teach some other plays) Shakespeare would not feel so out of reach as it is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

rantmo posted:

When in doubt assume it's a dick joke is actual, practical advice for Shakespearean tablework. Works better on his earlier plays though.

"Get you gone, you dwarf, you bead.... you acorn!" - Lysander, A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Size shaming? :shrug:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

HopperUK posted:

True. I've seen some Shakespeare plays and movies and absorbing the dialog delivered in context and everything pretty much works, much like you described, but there's still a lot of poo poo in there that adds another layer of density and complexity which can often hinder or entirely evade my ability to totally comprehend everything that's going on.

There's a reason my English teachers had us break down lines and stanzas or whatever and try to decipher their meaning, as others have pointed out.

And I didn't get assigned Romeo And Juliette. I cut my teeth on Julius Caesar and, later on, Macbeth. I got good grades on my papers because I could draw and shoved some illustrations in there. My school took us to see A Comedy of Errors in 8th grade and somehow the funny broke through but I don't remember much about it.

I might have to check this Macbeth movie out because I could watch Denzel read a terms of service credit card disclaimer and Frances McDormand steals every scene I've ever seen her in.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 23:00 on Jan 19, 2022

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Caesar and Macbeth are great starting points, I would also say Twelfth Night and Much Ado About Nothing, though those two are particularly filthy so I get why they aren't used like that. Twelfth Night has the dirtiest joke in the canon after all.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I appreciated seeing the kid who played Dudley Dursley getting some more work in 'Macbeth', too. I think the two biggest choices Coen made with his version is making Macbeth and Lady Macbeth childless 60-year-olds instead of barren young people which gives the idea of their lack of legacy a different vibe, and also making Ross a more overt agent-of-chaos and opportunist. It's definitely noticeable which actors were more comfortable with the Shakespearean dialogue than others. In particular I thought Washington, MacDormand, and Corey Hawkins (Macduff) were particularly adept at it. Bonus appearances from Stephen Root and Brendan Gleeson too, which are always nice.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 23:31 on Jan 19, 2022

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

christmas boots posted:

Alternatively the entire situation could have been defused if Bill Murray hadn’t been so combative with Peck from the get go. Perhaps, given a tour of the facility and a ride-along Peck might have been more reasonable but by the time things come to a head he hates Murray so loving much

Yea, there must have been some way to show Peck and Co that they're providing a valuable service by containing the harmful ghosts.

Although I still can't get over how ridiculous and dumb Ghostbusters 2's plot point of "The entirety of NYC and the world now doesn't believe in ghosts/weird poo poo despite hundreds of thousands, of not millions, of people witnessing with their own eyes ears and hands, a massive walking marshmallow man and many other ghostly entities". It doesn't even really change the plot, it just serves to sort of negate a lot of things from the first in ways that don't really make sense.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tumble posted:

Although I still can't get over how ridiculous and dumb Ghostbusters 2's plot point of "The entirety of NYC and the world now doesn't believe in ghosts/weird poo poo despite hundreds of thousands, of not millions, of people witnessing with their own eyes ears and hands, a massive walking marshmallow man and many other ghostly entities". It doesn't even really change the plot, it just serves to sort of negate a lot of things from the first in ways that don't really make sense.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife does the exact same thing as well

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
And implicit with the ghosts, undeniable proof of some sort of afterlife and all the theological implications involved with that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If I were supposed to make a ghostbusters spinoff, I'd go with 'the ambient negative energy of the 2000s means that ghosts are everywhere now', and have bill murray as the major antagonist for a plucky group of barely-scraping-by millennials who are busting ghosts part-time with his Bustr app.

That way you don't ignore the good movie, and still don't have to have the original cast come in as heroes

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

rantmo posted:

Caesar and Macbeth are great starting points, I would also say Twelfth Night and Much Ado About Nothing, though those two are particularly filthy so I get why they aren't used like that. Twelfth Night has the dirtiest joke in the canon after all.

If the students try to tell you the bard is boring bust out the ol’ Titus A. imo

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Tunicate posted:

If I were supposed to make a ghostbusters spinoff, I'd go with 'the ambient negative energy of the 2000s means that ghosts are everywhere now', and have bill murray as the major antagonist for a plucky group of barely-scraping-by millennials who are busting ghosts part-time with his Bustr app.

That way you don't ignore the good movie, and still don't have to have the original cast come in as heroes

If I had to do a ghostbusters movie in TYOOL2022 I'd use science or magic to make sure that it was done by Taika Watiti.

There. Perfect modern Ghostbusters movie.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Imagined posted:

And implicit with the ghosts, undeniable proof of some sort of afterlife and all the theological implications involved with that.

Venkman brings Ghostbusters Inc. to extreme profitability when he starts to upsell the option of a more luxurious ghost jail for people who want to rid themselves of a loved ones pesky ghost but don't want to feel guilty.

IshmaelZarkov posted:

If I had to do a ghostbusters movie in TYOOL2022 I'd use science or magic to make sure that it was done by Taika Watiti.

There. Perfect modern Ghostbusters movie.

Yea it's such a bummer they decided to gently caress up yet another Ghostbusters when there are so many people who could have done it justice while simultaneously making it a blockbuster that would merchandise out well. It was such a cynically corporate move to decide that the main characters should be kids. They could have gotten a new group of actually funny people and proper writers and all that and the toys would still sell but instead it got turned into a sentimental kids movie.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If they lock in the actors while they are young, they can get way more sequels made with the same group.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Imagined posted:

Well officially, the church will not take any position on the religious implications of the... uh... phenomena.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

christmas boots posted:

If the students try to tell you the bard is boring bust out the ol’ Titus A. imo

Or Coriolanus. And then watch the excellent film with Ralph Feinnes, Brian Cox, and Gerard Butler.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Tumble posted:

Venkman brings Ghostbusters Inc. to extreme profitability when he starts to upsell the option of a more luxurious ghost jail for people who want to rid themselves of a loved ones pesky ghost but don't want to feel guilty.

Yea it's such a bummer they decided to gently caress up yet another Ghostbusters when there are so many people who could have done it justice while simultaneously making it a blockbuster that would merchandise out well. It was such a cynically corporate move to decide that the main characters should be kids. They could have gotten a new group of actually funny people and proper writers and all that and the toys would still sell but instead it got turned into a sentimental kids movie.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife was made for people that saw the original and are taking their kids to see it. When I realised that it made the viewing experience marginally more tolerable. I don't know hate it but it doesn't hit the 4 quadrants appeal the original did.

Oh wait, this is the Subtle Movie Moments, not the Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Quantum of Solace (2008). Hmm that air must be real dusty.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If they lock in the actors while they are young, they can get way more sequels made with the same group.
Well, Stranger Things have happened.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"Get you gone, you dwarf, you bead.... you acorn!" - Lysander, A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Size shaming? :shrug:
The German word for acorn also means glans

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tumble posted:

Yea, there must have been some way to show Peck and Co that they're providing a valuable service by containing the harmful ghosts.

Nothing about the last few years has lead me to believe that "everyone just thought it was a hoax" is somehow unrealistic or a stretch of the imagination.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, that used to be one of my biggest complaints about Ghostbusters 2 and now it's just a sad fact of life. It's like complaining about the decisions being made in zombie films at this point.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, that used to be one of my biggest complaints about Ghostbusters 2 and now it's just a sad fact of life. It's like complaining about the decisions being made in zombie films at this point.

I remember when people would complain about how stupid and unrealistic it was that people would hide their zombie-bites.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

The German word for acorn also means glans

The plot thickens.

:getin:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The plot thickens.

:getin:

You need to stop calling yours "the plot", and definitely stop telling us every time it thickens.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

christmas boots posted:

I remember when people would complain about how stupid and unrealistic it was that people would hide their zombie-bites.

I now know that if there actually were a zombie outbreak, about 30% of the population would slather themselves in BBQ sauce and run straight at the horde while yelling about how they refuse to live in fear.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CainFortea posted:

Nothing about the last few years has lead me to believe that "everyone just thought it was a hoax" is somehow unrealistic or a stretch of the imagination.

Realistically, they just needed a reason for the plot to be something more than "there's something strange in the neighborhood, we should call the Ghostbusters" and then skipping getting the band back together, the trial, and getting sent to the nut house.

However, I wonder if the way they did it was Dan Aykroyd making a dig at people not believing in the paranormal and UFOs the way he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Imagined posted:

I now know that if there actually were a zombie outbreak, about 30% of the population would slather themselves in BBQ sauce and run straight at the horde while yelling about how they refuse to live in fear.

Avenue 5 came out juuuust before covid really took off and people were like "it's amusing but a little far fetched"