Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Lotish posted:

I saw the movie twice yesterday (my daughter likes repetition). He sticks the needle of love in Miao Yin's arm and then he bleeds from the same spot. His fingers aren't bleeding--he reached inside his robe to touch the part of his arm that mirrored where he'd stabbed Miao Yin, and he drew back bloody fingers.

He actually got a little TOO enthusiastic about that part and really jammed the needle into Miao Yin's arm. That look of pain is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not really a subtle moment, but I love how outraged Robert Downey Jr's character in Tropic Thunder got when he found out Four Leaf still had his hands after all.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's a guy in the movie who dresses like a pirate?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, look, it's Steve the pirate!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The entirety of Pacific Rim is built up to a bad pun.

One of the Jaegers has to blow itself up, making it a Jaegerbomb

:haw:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I kinda dug the pissed off trucker trying to push him and bouncing off.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

It's not just that. Lightsabres have a straight hilt, and - unsurprisingly given the influence of The Hidden Fortress on the first movie - they are wielded similarly to the katana. Real sabres have a hilt at a 45 degree angle to the blade; so does Dooku's lightsabre, and Lee wields it properly.

And yes, Vader's double in TESB and ROTJ used some sabre moves. That's because it was the legendary sword master Bob Anderson, who prior to entering movies had been an Olympic fencer competing in sabre.

Plus, when the character was written, he was written as using a different style of fighting. More swordsman like, and less "swing poo poo around like a lightbat".

I think the official "canon" reasoning is the style he uses is for dueling (an old style no one really practices but he's a master at) vs the style most people use which is meant for deflecting blasters, etc. I think it's style 2 vs 3. There's something like 7 diff styles?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've seen it, but I can't recall anything in particular that was subtle, but then again that might be the point.

I will say the laundry room reveal was god damned hilarious and amazing though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Close. The dagger has a serrated blade, not back. The other blades you mention were banned by the Geneva Convention in times of war though, because they cause wounds that were too hard to close on the battlefield.

Still legal to own, just don't carry one into battle and you are ok.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LogisticEarth posted:

Triangular blades aren't banned by the Geneva Convention, and they're not impossible to heal. I think that story has sort of been perpetuated from a line about it in Slaughterhouse 5 or something.

I dunno, I thought they fell under the "unnecessary suffering or superfluous injury" protocol. Sort of like exploding bullets or plastic shrapnel, or the old saw back bayonets on the german rifles in WW1.

Then again, I've heard that Germany or Russia had petitioned to add shotguns to the banned weapon list because they were getting massacred in the trenches with em.

Either way, I don't plan to be in a war with it anytime soon, so it's all good :)

Edit -

Yep, shotgun was bitched about.

quote:

The shotguns elicited a diplomatic protest from the German government, claiming the shotguns caused excessive injury, and that any troops found in possession of them would be subject to execution. The US Government rejected the claims, and threatened reprisals in kind if any US troops were executed for possession of a shotgun.

During the trench warfare of the Gallipoli Campaign, Major Stephen Midgley of the Australian 5th Light Horse Regiment was widely known to use a sawn-off double barrelled shotgun while leading his troops, resulting in Turkish officers complaining that it was not a 'weapon of war' under international law after Midgley took one Turkish soldier's head "clean off his shoulders". Midgley was ordered by an Australian general to cease using his shotgun and switch to a conventional rifle and bayonet, to which the Major was "bitterly peeved".[4]

The shotgun was also well suited for house-to-house fighting. An example of this effectiveness is an event from September 27, 1918. Sergeant Fred Lloyd, armed with a Winchester Model 1897 trench gun, single-handedly retook a German-held French village, routing 30 German soldiers.[5]

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 14:20 on May 28, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing about the new movie was hearing Keaton bitch out the lead guy for whining about wearing a segmented rubber costume where he could at least turn his head.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's african american Optimus Prime, you racist fuckwit. Check your privilege.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Upon reflection I must offer an apology to all trans-formers out there, as I incorrectly stated African American and not African Cybertronian in my description.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah.

Turgenov was the last name of Crimson Dynamo in the comics, which he ends up kinda halfway being at the end of the movie.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I loved the cocking of the shovel.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda slow, but I was shopping when I finally noticed something in this poster.

Felt kinda dumb when it clicked. Big D, and then big EVIL.

:devil:

:doh:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Was watching The Interview and in the scene where Rogen has to put the missile in his rear end, if you watch the thermal sat feed, he starts glowing pretty bright when he starts trying to "secure the package".

Thought it was a neat subtle effect for a movie not known for it's subtlety.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In the season finale for Constantine, I thought it was pretty cool how Jim Corrigan was using a green pen. They also backlit him a LOT with green lights.

Nifty nod to the comics :)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I checked out sometime after he said some body shaming poo poo about fat people.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I realized the other day that in all the marvel movies lately, someone loses an arm.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I watched Ex Machina, and while the movie was a gigantic pile of rear end, it did have at least one kinda subtle moment. It's towards the end though so I guess it'd be considered a big spoiler in part.

There's a part early in the film where the main computer guy says something to the effect of how he's like Prometheus bringing down fire from the gods to man (who was then chained to a rock and had an eagle peck out his liver for eternity), and then at the end of the film the guy gets shanked in the liver.

I dunno if it was meant to play that way, or the they lucked into it, but I thought it was kinda neat.

Still, poo poo that movie was horrible.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was because you can't see the dude breathing like you can with Russell.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0533831/

It's from this episode of the show.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's one of the very few actually good video game adaptions. It takes a few recognisable elements from the games but doesn't get too far into arcane bullshit that only players would care about. Then it gets the plot out of the way quickly and goes right to what everybody actually cares about, weird people beating each other up in interesting locales, with surprisingly good choreography, too. Also features Christoper Lambert in probably one of his best roles :allears:

They also pretty much beat the poo poo out of each other for real. I think the guy playing Liu Kang broke some ribs in the Reptile fight when he got slammed into that post.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

Never noticed these subtle moments before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ULjJ3EqyY

I am virtually positive this is how Dan Simmons and a few other airport fiction writers see the world.

A shitload of tea partiers too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Marines aren't exactly going to be hopping into jets and knowing how to fire missiles and poo poo right off the bat. Why would he be any different?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wild T posted:

I don't remember him telling them all that he was actually storm trooper, just that he worked for the Empire. I figured it was continuing his theme of basically lying his rear end off to everyone in the movie, constantly, in order to get out of a jam. He lies to the other storm troopers in the beginning about transferring a prisoner, then lies that he was a bigshot rebel to escape, and now he's lying to Han he wasn't one of the really bad guys, honest, I just did busywork and certainly was never part of any massacres. The dude managed to bullshit his way across the entire movie to all parties involved.

I could be wrong though, I watched it once and the audio in the theater was pretty bad so I may have missed a line.

Poe knew, and he told Rey in that confession scene.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In Hellboy, Kroenen's nifty little mechanical hand is the replacement for the one that he got blown off in the beginning of the movie.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress One Hour Photo creeped me right the gently caress out.

I think the other one you are talking about is called Insomnia. Great movie too.

He had one other one I liked, but I can't remember the title. Basically he was some kind of funeral director dude who make videos of people's memories off a chip they had implanted as a kid, and then it turned into a murder mystery and some big kerfuffle cause he apparently had one installed as a kid and didn't know about it, which is a BIG NO NO for that particular job since you have unfettered access to someone's entire life.

Neat idea, and damned if I can remember how it ends, but I remember thinking "Holy poo poo, this is Robin Williams and he is kicking rear end at this".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

synthetik posted:

In that same vein, the opening sequence of 'Snake Eyes' looks like a 20 minute take, where Nicholas Cage is presented with everything he'll need to solve the mystery later in the movie. After watching it again last night, there's at least 10 cuts during the setup! They are just hidden very well, especially for a movie from 1998.

Also, there's dialogue and set pieces related to a giant wave that is apparently in the script, but never happens on-screen.

On the exact opposite of subtle, there's like 15 cuts in Taken 3 where Liam Neeson is running away from the cops and jumps a fence.

I don't mean like, 15 cuts for him jumping ALL the fences, I mean there's a shitton of them for him jumping A SINGLE FENCE. It moves all the way around from horrible to awesome.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have a friend who swears this is a subtle movie moment, but I'm not exactly following...

Big BvS spoilers ahoy!
The reason that Batman makes a big fuckoff kryptonite spear is because the entire story of Superman is a Christ allegory, and in the bible Christ got stabbed with a spear to kill him. Then, later, the dirt being all floaty signals he's rising from the dead after a few days, just like Jesus did. Neither one of us kept up any clue of how long it was between death and burial though, so that one's a longer shot.

I mean, I kinda get it as it did seem a bit odd that instead of making bullets or something he made a giant fuckoff spear, but I think that was more due to Synder wanting the movie to look cool, and less about some mythology he was trying to use. Synder isn't exactly subtle.

Like I said, makes a weird kind of sense, but I think he's giving the director WAY too much credit on this one.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Exactly, that's what I meant in the spoiler about that's how we know he's coming back from the dead

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

I always thought it was weird that for the America release of the first Harry Potter book the publisher changed philosopher's stone to sorcerer's stone. Like kids would be all confused about mention of a philosopher's stone but sorcerer? That's just common sense!

Hell, be glad we got that. It was almost Harry potter and the magic rock.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was a nice touch that in Keanu Sharktank pulled off the wall flip, and Tectonic played it off as "It ain't my flip day, we alternate flip days. Tomorrow I'll flip the gently caress out that wall son", and then literally the next day, he ends up doing a flip in the gunfight.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a blink and you'll miss it kinda moment, but in Constantine, when John is walking into Papa Midnight's club , the bouncer tries to stop him. He holds up the card and John says "Bird on a ladder" and then punches him when the guard says "Sorry man". The card is actually a bird on the ladder. John had it right, the bouncer was just trying to stop him from coming in the club but John don't have time for that poo poo.

I didn't notice it till I was watching it on blu ray, and could finally make out the card in high def.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So, basically he was the Kirk of Dr. Who?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why do you think the dude wore a cape/cloak? Gotta hide it somehow.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of cybernetics, I found this today, and realized how cool the design from Ghost in the Shell actually was.

https://vitalybulgarov.com/ghost-in-the-shell/

It's a bit spoilery, but basically the difference between the original inner skeleton for the Major vs the approved version is pretty damned big. The original was more of a "bio-human" version with metal bones, etc. The approved version is WAY more of a "Quit loving thinking like a human and just make a body, we don't need bones, we just need a frame for an android!".

It's extremely subtle, sort of, since we only see it for a brief bit in the beginning, but I really love how the design went from some weird built up human skeleton to the overall "Function over form" look they ended up with.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite moments in Avengers : Age of Ultron is when Vision suits up, and when he sees Thor with a cape, he grows one as well, and Thor has this "Hmm, a man of style!" expression that is just magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing about Robocop 2 was that the special nuke holder case things were just cassette tape holders.