Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Shaun of the Dead,

Shaun of the Dead also has a lot of references to Romero's films. So many that Romero himself didn't catch them all. The ones I remember of the top of my head is that the film starts with Shaun staggering towards the camera which pans up from his legs to his face which is pretty much exactly like the start of Day of the Dead only with a sleepy British man instead of a jawless balding zombie in a suit. When the boys are going to get Shaun's mum Ed yells "We're comming to get you Barbara!" into the phone, in Night of the Living Dead Johnny taunt his sister in the cemetery by saying "They're coming to get you Barbra" right before the first zombie attacks them. Shaun works at Foree Electric, Dawn of the Dead starred Ken Foree. When David gets torn limb from limb by the undead horde it looks a lot like a similar scene from Day of the Dead. etc. etc.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 21:50 on May 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hughlander posted:

Lucas Lee comes out of trailer #2, brags he'll kick your rear end in two minutes. Goes down a staircase with like two hundred steps. He has the number 2 tattooed on his neck, has a belt buckle with two Xs on it, and Scott gets 2000 points when he defeats him.

He also points using two fingers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CzarChasm posted:

Well, I mean, he is a Dracula...

PETER JACKSON: When Wormtongue rises up and comes up behind Saruman to stab him, of course it was my job as director to talk to Christopher Lee and to explain to him what I wanted, so I started to go into this long explanation about what sort of sound he should make when he got stabbed.
CHRISTOPHER LEE: I seem to recall I did say to Peter, “Have you any idea what kind of noise happens when somebody’s stabbed in the back?” And I said, “Well, because I do.” It’s [mimics being stabbed] because the breath’s driven out of your body.
PETER JACKSON: He proceeded to talk about some very clandestine part of World War II.
BARRIE OSBORNE: He used to be in the British Secret Service, whatever they were called, the OSS?
PETER JACKSON: He seemed to have expert knowledge of exactly the sort of noise that they make, and so I just sort of didn’t push the subject any further; I just said, “Well, you obviously know what to do, Christopher, so I’m sure you’ll do it great,” and he did.

Dude's pretty hardcore.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Aphrodite posted:

It's (another) one of those things Europeans made racist and ruined for everyone.

Europe is crazy racist it's just racist in a slightly different manner to America. Which Europeans often tend to ignore. A character that is supposed to be a bit of a dick using the word "gypsy" is pretty small peas when poo poo like forced sterilization and mass deportation of Romani is still a thing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75WFTHpOw8Y
Ví oll spík ingliss verí streinslí in Æsland. Ví tend tú putt tú möts emfasiss on somm sánds end it sánds verí sillí.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

spog posted:

I want to know what the real Landsman thinks about the fact that he wasn't considered a good enough Landsman to portray himself and the role went to someone else.

The real Jay Landsman is on the show as Dennis Mello.

The "real Avon Barksdale" is also in the show. Avon is based on several different drug kingpins but one of them is Melvin Williams who plays the Deacon on the show. Ed Burns, the shows co-creator, was one of the cops that brought Melvin down.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Jul 17, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SaltyJesus posted:

You might be thinking about Kubrick and the apparently astonishingly accurate interiors of B-52 in Dr. Strangelove.

Also when the second unit was filming aerial footage for the B-52 scenes they accidentally filmed a secret US military base in Greenland. They were forced to land and their stuff was thoroughly inspected because the military thought they might be Soviet spies.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

lambeth posted:

Going back to subtlety, while it's never specified in the movie, I realized partway through Children of Men that given Clive Owens and Julianne Moore's ages and the fact that the infertility issue started in 2009, they're actually millennials, which may explain why many of the characters their age have piercings and tattoos. While that's not exactly mind-blowing, I found it interesting to see people my age as they might look in the future (you know, minus the dystopian part).

Are tattoos and piercing really that much of a millenial thing? I mean I'm pretty sure every person born in the 70's is required by law to have at least one tribal tattoo and/or the name(s) of their child(ren) in fuþark or Hebrew script.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Daredevil is actually based on the life of Homer except they whitewashed it and made him into a white guy when in reality Homer only thought she was a white because she couldn't see herself.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Subtle moment in the Iliad(or the Aeneid or wahtever):
The Greeks pretend to give the other team a big wooden horse but it's actually a trick.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

and did they yell in a thick Scottish accent?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's not in the Iliad :argh:

Yeah but its mentioned in both the spinoffs.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

So it's probably a deleted scene from the Iliad. At very least it's fanon.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mel Brooks' approach to comedy is basically to throw literally everything at the wall and even just a fraction of it sticks the barrage of jokes is heavy enough for you not to usually not notice the clunkers in between the ones that hit.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

oldpainless posted:

Dead and Loving It had three (3) good jokes. When Lucy pulls her tits out and Harker recoils "Lucy please! I'm British!"

When Dracula and van helsing keep trying to one up each other with the last word

The blood gush killing Lucy

That bit where Renfield shakes off his pursuers by running back and forth for a few seconds is also good.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's more fashion than rule. King Edward VII was too fat to button up his suit fully but because he was king of became fashionable to imitate him and is somehow still a thing a hundred years later.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vicissitude posted:

Back when I still got stoned and watched MTV, I always wondered about all those rappers and hip hoppers who had tons of Scarface memorabilia and posters hanging up in their places as if he was someone to idolize. I mean, yeah, he came from nothing and made it to the top, but did they completely forget the entire last third of the movie? It does not end well for Mr Montana :s

That's the point. Live fast, die young.

He isn't a gangster icon despite getting murdered he is a icon because he went out in a blaze of glory at the top of his game in a giant mansion.

Sorta like Bonnie and Clyde or say anyone from the 27 club. Dying young basically automatically makes you cool because it means you still had so much potential.

I don't think Jim Morrison or Sid Vicious would have half as many fans if they were still alive because wrinkly old burn-outs with beerguts don't sell as many t-shirts.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

WampaLord posted:

It's not just that it's not kosher, it's implying that Landa remembers her from the dairy farm.

Also, as a Jew, I don't think whipped cream is non-Kosher anyway. It's just cream and sugar, as long as it's not being paired with meat, it's totally fine.

The pastry has meat in it I presume.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

WampaLord posted:

Apple strudel?

What kind of apple strudel you been eating?

I do not remember the specifics of the strudel. Truth be told

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

rydiafan posted:

There's a difference between "mom doesn't approve" kosher and "God doesn't approve" kosher.

You can argue with God, arguing with mom is futile.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The statue had arms but they fell off in 1820 when pirates tried to steal it.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 10:52 on Dec 21, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6eA9MMHp3c

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mad Max is based on the oil crisis of the early 70s. So it's basically set in the past from when it was made.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah, I always took Mad Max to be a culture hero on the level of Cúchulainn/Maui/Hercules/Paul Bunyan/King Arthur/whatever. In the world of Mad Max there are probably stories of him inventing the car, stealing the secret of gasoline from the gods and theories that the real reason for the apocalypse wasn't actually nuclear war but Mad Max having a bad day and blowing the world away.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The original Mad Max is based on how crazy things got during the oil crisis of the early 70s. It's exaggerated but still based more in the recent past (only a few years from when it came out) than in a dystopic future.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Jan 31, 2018

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The best part of the film is that it feels like you unwittingly started watching some really long and elaborate film series on at least the fifth film. It's probably what it feels like if someone with no familiarity with comics would start watching the MCU with Civil War.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kramdar posted:

That’s kind of the feeling I had when I was a kid. Never having watched Doctor Who but having seen neighbor kids watching it on public television and catching bits and pieces, I finally see buckaroo bonzai around the same time and I’m like is this the same thing?

I´m working on a project that aims to achieve the exact same feeling. Like the main character has obviously had a dozen previous adventures and everyone knows who he is and people namedrop events and people like they're supposed to mean something to the audience without ever explaining any of them. Except instead of a doctor/surgeon/rockstar/scientist/crime-fighter romp my thing is an adaptation of a Icelandic saga told in the style of a El Santo monster movie except with traditional Icelandic wrestling taking the place of lucha libre.

I have some slight doubts it will get off the ground.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hi we're the Faces of Death and this is controlled facial degloving

1 2 3 4!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Aleph Null posted:

Because, seriously, where does T. Stark get all his money, enough to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on vanity flying weaponized armor and even some for his buddy Peter.

His parents were really rich, he's owns a company that makes poo poo for the military which is basically a license to print money, and I seriously doubt he has ever payed any taxes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Because every time anyone goes to the toilet in the film. Something bad happens.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Krispy Wafer posted:

EDIT: there appears to be an underlining cruelty to Coen brothers movies. I think that's what throws me off if I'm not expecting it or can't reconcile it with the humor.

tbf cruelty is pretty funny.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Jan 10, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Big Lebowski ís basically a really loose adaptation of Raymond Chandler's detective fiction because the Coens thought it was a really funny idea to picture a stoner friend of theirs solving crime. So they wrote a film about it.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 09:13 on Jan 10, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Aren't they basically the same age?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't seen Spiderman 2 since it was recent but isn't the films pretty explicit about how he's still a good dude but the malfunctioning tentacle AI is controlling him or at least influencing him.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Philippe posted:

Thank you for mispronouncing pupkin

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't watched anything beyond S1 of True Detective and that was only when it was new.

That was 100% a deliberate artistic decision

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Y'all should watch The Limits of Control for the mother of all "happens offscreen" scenes. Maybe Down by Law too.

Saw both of those as a double feature with a Q&A afterwards and it's been over a decade but if I recall Jarmusch said he likes to skip over the climatic event because he finds it funny to build to something and never show it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Oy gevalt.