Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

minato posted:

Perfect strangers - wacky foreigner
The Odd Couple - wacky guy
Small Wonder - wacky robot

yup, checks out.

The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse dates back to the 6th century B.C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

oldpainless posted:

Grave of fireflies legit is the only thing that’s made me cry and I work at a baby and puppy murdering factory

More like oldpainless.

Wait...

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I'm listening to Kumail Nanjiani's The X-Files Files podcast (it's a mouthfull). There is a nice "subtle" theme running all over the "Clyde Bruckman's final repose" episode (always found in all the "top episodes of the X-Files" lists).

Plot (spoilering a 25+ year old tv episode):

From Wikipedia:
St. Paul, Minnesota: in a store, Clyde Bruckman (Peter Boyle), a life insurance salesman, purchases a paper and a lottery ticket and leaves. In the street, he almost bumps into an inconspicuous man (Stuart Charno), who heads to a gypsy palm reader named Madame Zelma (Karin Konoval). After seeking his fortune, the inconspicuous man attacks and kills her. A few days later, the eyes and entrails of a tea leaf reader, who was also a doll collector, have been found in her apartment, her body being missing. FBI agents Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) arrive at the scene of that murder to help the local cops, who have recruited the help of a psychic, the eccentric Stupendous Yappi (Jaap Broeker). Although the psychic delivers extremely vague clues, the cops are thoroughly impressed; both Scully and Mulder, however, are not, especially after Yappi diagnoses that it is Mulder—not Scully—who is a skeptic.

Meanwhile, after Bruckman takes the trash out for his neighbor, he discovers the body of Madame Zelma outside in his dumpster. When interviewed by Mulder and Scully, he reveals details about the crime that he could not have known from the media accounts, which causes Mulder to believe that Bruckman has psychic ability. Mulder insists that Bruckman join them in a visit to the crime scene at the doll collector's apartment. Thanks to seemingly psychically gained information from Bruckman, her body is soon found in a nearby lake.

At the police station, Mulder tests Bruckman's ability by having him handle various objects to see what they "tell" him. It becomes apparent that Bruckman's only real psychic talent is an ability to see details of people's deaths. Scully arrives with a key chain bearing the insignia of an investment company that uses astrology to make financial predictions, taken from the doll collector's body - the same key chain was found on two of the other dead fortunetellers. Bruckman knows that the firm is owned by one Claude Dukenfield, not through a psychic revelation but because he coincidentally sold the man an insurance policy recently. He says that Mulder and Scully will not be able to talk to Dukenfield though, because he has been murdered.

Mulder and Scully drive Bruckman to a wooded spot where Bruckman has said they will find Dukenfield's body. As they tromp through the woods, Bruckman explains how he gained his ability following the death of Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper in a plane crash. Bruckman cannot pinpoint the exact spot where the body is, however, so they return to the parked car, where they see a lifeless hand sticking out of the wet mud underneath. Traces of silk fibers are subsequently found on Dukenfield similar to fibers found on previous victims - they are later analyzed and found to be from lace.

At his home Bruckman has gotten a note from the killer saying he is going to die when they first meet, and telling him to say "hi" to the FBI agents. The killer apparently also has some psychic ability - the postmark is dated before Bruckman joined the murder investigation. Bruckman describes Mulder's death as the killer sees it: getting his throat slit by the killer after stepping in a pie in a kitchen. However Bruckman tells Mulder he's not able to see what happens afterwards. Meanwhile, the inconspicuous man consults a tarot card reader (Alex Diakun), who says that the killer seeks answers from "a man with special wisdom" and that his confusion will soon abruptly end "with the arrival of a woman - a blonde or a brunette, possibly a redhead." When there is just one card left unturned, the killer says that it is not meant for him but for the reader, and turns it over to reveal the "death" card.

Since the killer knows Bruckman's home address, the agents bring him to a hotel where they take turns guarding him. While Scully does not believe in Bruckman's power, the two develop a fast friendship. Scully asks Bruckman if he can see his own end. He replies that he can see their end—that they will end up in bed together, in a very special moment neither of them will ever forget. This reinforces her skepticism. Bruckman asks Scully why she is not interested in knowing how she will die. Scully finally asks him to tell her, to which Bruckman, joyfully, but cryptically, replies, "You don't."

A detective named Havez (Dwight McFee) takes over as Bruckman's guard when Mulder and Scully are called to investigate yet another new murder victim: the tarot card reader. As they leave they bump into a bellhop who is delivering food to Bruckman's room. The bellhop is actually the killer, and when he enters the room (while Havez is in the washroom), he is delighted to discover that Bruckman has been brought right to where he works. As he is about to kill Bruckman, Havez re-enters and the killer attacks and kills him instead. Meanwhile, Scully finds the same silk fiber at the new crime scene, and realizing that the bellhop had it on his tray, deduces that he is the murderer. They rush back to the hotel. Mulder chases the killer to the basement kitchen and the scene plays out as described in Bruckman's earlier premonition, but when the killer attacks Mulder, Scully arrives in the nick of time and shoots him—what Bruckman had seen was the dying killer's last thoughts, not Mulder's death.

Unable to find Bruckman in the hotel, Mulder and Scully return to Bruckman's apartment to find that Bruckman has committed suicide; Scully sees a plastic bag has been tied around his head, and that he is clutching a bottle of pills in his hand. Scully sits on Bruckman's bed holding his hand, deeply moved, just as he had predicted. That night Scully sees a commercial for the Stupendous Yappi on TV, causing her to throw her phone at it.[3]

The subtle theme:

In a show with a protagonist (Mulder) being obsessed by getting answers - and an undying conviction that getting said answers will bring him peace - the people that actually have all the answers are torn and made miserable by them, with both of them becoming victims of their own knowledge.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

This is probably obvious for Us but the films in the beginning flanking the TV showing the Hands Across America ad seem to be thematic. There's C.H.U.D. and Goonies, both of which deal with underground tunnels, then The Right Stuff which might imply that something about the tethered project was part of the cold war?

She (Red) also goes "This is OUR time" as an additional Goonies connection. Of course that's probably the best kind of "war speech" she has experienced in her 6 years above the ground.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Spiderman Far From Home post credit:
I wonder how frequently Nick Fury has used Talos and his wife as body doubles for him and Maria Hill. When he get dusted, Hill calls him "Nick" instead of Fury and in Captain Marvel he goes a great lenght about how no one, not even his mother calls him by name - in fact, he realizes his boss is a Skrull cause he calls him Nicholas.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Jul 11, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Did you really not realise the kid was Asian?

Truly, a mistery for the ages.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Gejimayu posted:

Has anyone mentioned Under the Silver Lake yet? It's the latest from the writer/director of It Follows, and, wow. I'm not sure how much I liked it but its literally massively full of codes and messages for the protagonist as well as the viewer. One example is in a scene where fireworks are going off at a bizarre place/time. People have figured out that the fireworks are going off in morse code and there's a very clear message that absolutely was intentional. It's long and kinda slow but i've been thinking on it a lot since I watched it. It's on Prime Video if anyone is interested.

I've found the movie oddly disturbing even if it's a bit bleak for me. That said, there is a shitton of coded messages (think ARG levels of code cracking) in the movie; this is very meta - since code breaking and hidden messages are such a big part of the plot of the movie - even if afaik it's something destined for the viewers and not part of the plot of the movie in itself. There is a subreddit hunting for these coded messages, and this is a "what we have discovered so far" thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/underthesilverlake/comments/a8ui73/biggest_discovery_of_the_utsl_mystery/

It's...very fitting that I've just finished the movie and I've missed almost every single one of these.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure that was kung fu, not tai chi, everyone knows tai chi isn't a martial art. (see that Arj Barker joke about being ambushed by a tai chi gang. 'They only hit me twice. But it took eight hours. I don't have that kind of time!')

It was even more nebulous than that - some kind of "magic aura" stuff.

E: apparently I am wrong and there was also a Tai Chi thing with the same magic bullshit attached to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXRZ89gzvcA

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

There was a lot of talk about it for a while that sort of crapped out when Vern Troyer died. Myers was openly talking about doing it.

We're going to get an Austin Power reboot in 10 years time, according to the 30 years cycle (which is, by the way, the reason we got Austin Power in the first place in the late 90s). As always, Lindsay Ellis has a good video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Radg-Kn0jLs

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

RandomFerret posted:

Shakespeare's wife was named Anne Hathaway, do people in this universe think that's weird?

People are weird.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

This is not so subtle I guess, but I've just finished watching Devs and I liked the way they brought home the "Fates" analogy with the three main programmers on the Devs team.

- Lindon, the young one, is Clotho the spinner - he is the one whose efforts get the Devs machine to work, aka he is the one spinning the cloth that gets fed into the Devs machine.
- Katie, the adult one, is Lachesi the watcher - the one that observes the mortals and knows their lot in life.
- Stewart, the old one, is Atropos the inevitable - he is the one that cuts the thread of life for our protagonists at the end of the show and sends them to the afterlife.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

In the Sam Raimi movies, Spiderman is from a working class family and his enemies are heads of giant corporations; they are also using cutting edge tech while Spidey is "all natural". All his adventures are set in or around his neighbourhood.

In the MCU movies, Spiderman is pupil to the head of a giant tech corp, uses Stark's cutting edge tech and his first enemy is a blue collar small businessman bullied out of business by Stark. His introduction to the MCU (the airport fight in Civil War) happens not only outside of NY, but outside of the US; and most of his adventures are also far away from NY, from Europe to another planet.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

Yeah I'm not a fan of MCU Spider-Man being tech'ed up but at least in Spider-Man: Homecoming there was the plot line of him having to be a hero without the Stark technology.
Am I misremembering? I thought he already had the Starktech suit at the beginning of Homecoming. He gets it when he goes to Berlin in Civil War, which is before Homecoming.

Edit: ah yeah he gets "depowered" when Stark decides he's hosed up with the boat.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Peck is still a reckless rear end in a top hat about it though. Like, if you do discover a situation where there's a "containment unit" with a bunch of potentially hazardous materials in it, maybe don't arbitrarily cut off the power before studying it a little bit first?
Don't you see? The Man is at the same time all powerful and completely incompetent. The only people who should be trusted with dangerous materials are the people stocking them, not some pencilpusher with their bs regulations.

rantmo posted:

Yeah, Peck wasn't wrong but he went about everything in the worst possible way in addition to being just an outright rear end about it.
The fact that he wasn't wrong is not part of the text of the movie. We think privately owned, unregulated nuclear accelerators are a problem, but if we were smart enough we would see the light and fully embrace libertarianism. that it's completely safe because Ray and Egon know better that The Man.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Dec 30, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

Its been a while and I haven't seen the third in either series but wasn't it:
  1. Head of corporation
  2. Scientist
  3. Space alien/lying journalist, murderer, head of corporation
They all (well, not the alien and the murderer) are wealthy and powerful people involved with tech (in fact, they are all wearing some kind of tech suit); just like Stark is.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Molina Ock isn't depicted as wealthy.
He isn't ludicrously wealthy as Stark or Osborne are (and he is depicted as sympathetic at first), but he's definitely not working class - he's the lead scientist for an R&D department at Oscorp, so he's definitely in the 1%.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

spookykid posted:

I was watching Wild Wild West for like the first time in 20 years and caught this absolute gem:

Am I missing something? Brass hearing aids in that shape where all the rage before technology made them obsolete:

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Jan 19, 2022

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Ah, nice one! Completely missed that.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Amphigory posted:

Haha, those guys are properly cracking up
At the Schadenfreude club, sharing daguerrotypes with the other Brückes.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If they lock in the actors while they are young, they can get way more sequels made with the same group.
Well, Stranger Things have happened.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Probably not super-subtle but the crew making their own flags in Our Flag Means Death. Pretty sure those are all real pirate flags that I saw in some old book and laughed at when I was a kid.

Very authentic but also hilarious. Especially the cat flag.

You mean to say there was a real pirate flag with a skull vomiting buttons over another smaller skull?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Watched the Last Duel and it has some neat little moment where things are perceived differently from different perspectives: In Damon's character's version of the truth there's a scene where he's really sick after a campaign in Scotland and his mother seemingly doesn't care. In Comer's version of the same scene he barely have a sniffle and his mother is really concerned about him. Then after the rape Damon's character declares in public that "I have a plan to deal with this." In Comer's version he declares that "we have a plan to deal with this".
Yeah the movie is full of that kinda of things. One of my favorites is that, when Le Carrouge and Le Gris meet at the wedding, each version has someone speak the words of reconciliation - it's themselves in Le Carrouge's and Le Gris's version and the host in Marguerite's version. Which I assume to be the truth in general, given the title change during the introduction.

On a rewatch I caught that when Le Gris is having an orgy with Pierre, he runs after a courtesan that is going "No, no!" in an alluring manner, then catches her, picks her up and deposits her on a bed in a way that is almost entirely mirrored in his "version" of the rape scene, although even with his more generous version is clear that Marguerite is being much more forceful in her rejection. On a first watch I was certain that he was just putting on an act with his denial; on a second watch, that scene and a few more details seem to indicate that he actually believed his lies.

There are also some other details that are show the same in different versions, but have different connotations depending on the point of view. For example in the wedding scene, Marguerite smiles at Le Gris when they lock eyes from a distance, while she is dancing with her husband; from Le Gris perspective, this is because she is into him. But from Marguerite's point of view, she is smiling at Le Gris while saying with her husband how little she thinks of him.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

He definitely does it in Shaun, they follow his plan for getting Liz back. I don't think he does it in Hot Fuzz though.

Timothy Dalton goes “Lock me up… I’m a slasher and must be stopped,” the first time he meets Simon Pegg (then he clarifies he is a slasher "of prices"). Not as involved as Shaun, but still.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

Baby Driver is great if you can get around Kevin Spacey being in it. Awesome soundrack, good story and acting and the sound direction is phenomenal. Just from the opening minute it just goes and I love how they incorporate the music into every bit of the movie.
My hearing is not as good as it used to be, so I completely missed it, but in every scene where Baby doesn't wear his earplugs or has music in the background, you can hear the ringing noise representing his tinnitus. It gives the whole movie an extra layer that I had, ironically, completely missed because of my hearing deficit :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9EFmF7gHg

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They used to test for diabetes in the 80s by drinking urine?
Wait, they don't do that anymore? My nephrologist has so much to explain.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's presenting as a Pegg/Frost/Wright comedy but it's really a quite sad movie about how people's flaws impact their own and others' lives. A while ago Pegg admitted to having/realizing he had a huge alcohol problem around the time they made it and you can assume it's basically autobiographical in a lot of places.

e: basically it's "what if Shaun doesn't sort his loving life out" in a different genre.
Yeah, what made me like it less than the other 2 is that Simon Pegg is an rear end in a top hat in this one and it is missing the feelgood appeal of his rapport with Nick Frost.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

It should be called Batman's Batman
Batman's Doorman.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's like going to wrestlemania and complaining that they some just talk their differences out. Yeah, okay sure, you don't have to enjoy watching people pretend to fight and it's completely reasonable to nope out. I just wonder what brought you in in the first place.
Card tricks are significantly less stress inducing I assume.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

K. Can't be too careful. I already got burned years ago by someone asking a specific question about nuclear bombardment in a way that I already knew how the operation went once they started setting it up.

Or I could just watch things as they are released like we all used to...
Season 2 Episode 12 "The Monster and the Rocket", in case you have not seen it yet and want to avoid further spoilers.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Also, forget the age-old "Superman vs Goku" argument. Who wins in Sarah Connor vs Laurie Strode vs Ellen Ripley?

Edit: Actually, should Sidney Prescott be in there too? Do we need a Final Girls bracket?
All of them are incredibly badass survivors, but only Sarah Connors has actual guerrilla training. Ellen Ripley probably has the largest bodycount of them all, but all her kills are in a single day.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

titties posted:

Honestly i thought T3 could have been pretty solid except for the casting of John, bad dialogue and complete lack of chemistry between John and Claire Daines, and the whole set-up of "hey, this random person i kidnapped was actually the girl i made out with at a junior high basement party 15 years ago" setup that i think was cribbed from the EU books.

I thought the TX was cool and the story was decent otherwise but it was really harmed by flat performances and bad dialogue.
I remember being pleased that, inflatable boobs scene aside, the T-X fights like a badass robot and not the **sexy ninja** common trope for feminine androids. Same as it was for the ones in Sarah Connor Chronicles.

I guess Terminators in general fight in a "smack things around until they die" style, which kinda makes sense as it seems to work 100% of the time when they aren't fighting protagonists.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I've just seen an episode of S1 The Good Wife and Joseph Gordon Levitt has a minor role in it, with a single speaking scene.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I didn’t know they made a Bear video game.

Press F to say "Chef", Chef.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Silly Newbie posted:

Watch We Own This City after the Wire. It's not as good, but it fits in like a "20 years later" kind of way. Plus, you get mad whiplash from the casting choices and a guy that works for me is in it.
See also: The Deuce.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Philippe posted:

It's gay, and neither sexist nor racist. I approve.
It's so weird that in the scene where Javier Bardem flirts with Bond, we are supposed to be surprised that Bond is amenable to his flirtation. Bond's sexual preferences aside, yes, the suave superspy that is in the villain's grip is not going "no homo"?!? Whaaaa

Edit: TBF, Connery's Bond would have probably got killed instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

Is your son 40?
Don't talk to me or my middle age son ever again.