Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Edgar Wright films are full of dialogue that predicts the plot of the film, but my favourite is Shaun of the Dead, where Nick Frost's character "Ed" casually describes the entire plot of the movie to the titular Shaun.

"You know what we should do tomorrow? Keep drinking. A Bloody Mary first thing, a bite at the King's Head, couple at The Little Princess, stagger back here and bang... back at the bar for shots."

The zombie in the backyard is wearing a "Hello, my name is Mary" nametag, and of course, she's quite bloody. They then go to Shaun's parents' house, where his stepfather (the "King" of the house) has been bitten. Then it's off to Liz's (the "Little Princess"), who's hanging out with the couple - David and Dianne. After some trouble, they stagger back to the bar.. where a box of shotgun shells cooks off right on the bartop.

How's THAT for a slice of fried gold?

If you were talking about any other filmmakers, I'd say you were reaching massively, but I can completely see this being the case with Wright/Pegg. God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VoidBurger posted:

Honest question, because I personally don't understand the critique: How is Cabin in the Woods smug? Is there a specific smug thing about it that I never noticed? I think it's fairly relatable and has a fun (love-letter-to-the-genre style) spirit to it, so I don't understand where the smug allegation is coming from. :(

I know a lot of people who severely dislike the movie, and they're all coming from the same place, so my answer has to be "because some horror dorks are easily butthurt". One of my closest friends described Goddard and Whedon as "loving parasites" for mocking his precious genre. I'm not gonna claim the movie's an expert, scholarly deconstruction on genre tropes or anything but hey, this ain't Funny Games, it's a fun, entertaining movie with a ton of clever parts.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember reading lots of press stuff around the time the movie was coming out and I'm sure Snyder said that that scene was literally the very final thing they cut and that it was a gut-wrenching decision.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The three posts above are all about the latest episode of Breaking Bad, by the way. The post above them was too but I still don't know that it's super obvious

Escobarbarian has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Sep 18, 2013

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

Would you prefer some... alcohol? :crossarms:

Would you like us to go down to the liquor store, and get you some liquor?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

martinlutherbling posted:

2. I'd still argue that it's pretty subtle. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid came out like 30 years before Mallrats, and I'd argue that most of the 14-20 year old target audience of Mallrats hadn't/still haven't seen Butch and Sundance :colbert:

I didn't know about it!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a robot in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It happens in every Phase 2 movie. Supposedly it's an Empire Strikes Back homage.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

its not from anything

That's the beauty of it!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

its p subtle though, like the fact that Bob Hoskins isn't drawn, he's a real guy in real life.

That actor in all those almost photo-realistic backgrounds really does create quite an effect.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everyone knows the Twin Pines/Lone Pine thing is because Marty knocks one of them down in the 50s

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Leftovers season 2 is amazing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope it is a troll cause this sentence is beautifully stupid:

Sponge Baathist posted:

If we're talking about Fargo talk about the movie it was a movie first and not everyone watches TV.

Also Super is one of the lamest most faux-edgy films I've ever seen. WHOA the GIRL rapes the GUY dudes check it cause if people really wanted to be superheroes they'd be CRAZY and SICK cos REALISM

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha, they don't get the reference because season 4 was a waste of time and incredibly unfunny.

Oh now I know why I didn't get it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol yeah there's nothing in the movie to indicate that it would be fake at all

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What are you idiots even talking about

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You need to watch Freaks and Geeks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GBH aspect ratio changes aren't subtle at all lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Explain...

Then explain how you're the only other person I've ever met who's seen Gummo.

Gummo rules! I even saw it in 35mm earlier in the year. I thought I would have soured on it a bit since I was 18 but I still adore it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's the one. By Harmony Korine, director of Spring Breakers. It's definitely not for everyone (or maybe even that many people in general), but I love it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What if you have to worship another idol or you’ll be killed

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How can you tick boxes if you don’t have arms

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ha, I love Achewood and never knew about that!! Nice one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahah that stuff actually makes me kinda wanna watch Split

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought mediocre meant good in War Boys slang

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e: oops there was a new page

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean, I thought it was pretty clear

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s Born Again right? Looking back I think it might be Miller’s strongest work overall.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah that has to be deliberate

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tyrannosaur is probably her best performance. It’s a highly underrated movie and I recommend everyone checks it out

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s called Locke, and it’s by the creator of Peaky Blinders, an excellent British show which unfortunately doesn’t have Olivia Colman (yet)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think she was the villain in Matt Smith’s first episode. I never heard anything about her being offered the role or turning it down either.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Moffat and Chibnall are both pretty terrible, but at least Moffat’s stuff occasionally had some semblance of personality.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Remember when Moffat literally put the title of the show as the big ending moment of a season finale

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been reading that for ages now and have managed to miss that it’s only been in this thread the entire time. I love it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For years when I was a kid I thought the Harlem Globetrotters were just Hanna-Barbera characters

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Queen Combat posted:

Bohemian Rhapsody was loving amazing what the hell are critics thinking?! loving wankers.

calm down dude

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
McQuarrie said that was unintentional but it is pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

Also, just a general heads-up that Into the Spiderverse has the greatest post credits sequence in film history.

This is extremely true.