Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Cartoon posted:

Not strictly a movie but the BBC's 1995 seminal Pride and Prejudice apart from being a modern classic (etc.) has some of the absolutely finest coarse acting.

Readers of this thread will then not be surprised that is by Lucy Davis (of Shaun of the Dead). It is hard to imagine once you have noticed it that it wasn't done with the full complicity of the director, producer and editor. Her character, Maria Lucas, is such a small part that it was one of those omitted entirely from the 2005 Keira Knightly feature (of Pride and Prejudice). Not daunted by having no dialogue or real role in a scene that she appears in Lucy manages to do something to catch the eye in a 100% upstage sense. I spoilered this because once noticed it can not be unnoticed and is indeed subtle to the point that until seen it is unremarkable. Once seen however it may detract from your pleasure in the original as either a distraction or a cause of laughter.

Can you like... tell us more? I don't want to go watch Pride and Prejudice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it might work better if you just have Alfred sitting down, perspective shot showing two people at another table that just might be Bruce and Selina, cut back to Alfred's eyes opening a little wider and him starting to take a deep breath. End it without explicitly showing Bruce and before he toasts or whatever it is he does there.

So... Inception all over again

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Starship Troopers is probably the 3rd greatest sci-fi movie of all time behind Prometheus and Event Horizon.

Replace Prometheus (really?) with The Fifth Element or Blade Runner and I'm right there with you.

Edit: or Aliens. Or the first Matrix film. But Prometheus, really?

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Oct 31, 2014

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

The other day I was watching Beerfest (the Broken Lizard comedy about a secret international beer competition) and at one point this German guy calls out two big muscley dudes, and he calls them by name:

"HAMMACHER, SCHLEMMER!"

I knew when I heard these names there was something about them... but I couldn't put my finger on what it was.

Then I go to check the mail today, and sitting right on top of the pile is a Hammacher Schlemmer catalog...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammacher_Schlemmer

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

The perfect movie is a Mark Ruffalo and Stanley Tucci buddy movie.

I'd be down for this. They weren't buddies but they shared some scenes in Spotlight, which is a great film and currently on Netflix!

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Imagined posted:

Since when was writing #1 hits an indicator of musical quality and why does it matter, in terms of their quality, what percentage of the band participated? They're very talented musicians and I like a lot of their songs. Kenny G is also a very talented musician with a lot of massive hits and he loving sucks. So

This reminds me of Misterbibs arguing about the Star Wars Prequels being good because they made a lot of money in some stream's chat, which brought about the famous gif.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Cocktail: When he pours, he reigns.

Great line, bad movie.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

SiKboy posted:

In all fairness, other #1 films in the US in 1993 include Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3, Cop and a Half, Cliffhanger and The Beverly Hillbillies. So yeah, 90% of movies that come out now are trash, no doubt but 90% of movies that came out then were also trash. Its just you remember the ones you like.

Oh god that’s the TMNT where they time traveled to Japan or whatever

Even as a kid I found that movie hard to like

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Molina Ock had that scene where he had Peter to dinner and he’s wearing a sweater, drinking wine, talking about poetry and courting his wife, he comes off as pretty well off there but idk maybe that’s just the academia version of a 30k millionaire

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

Are you implying that only the super-rich can wear sweaters and... have wives? She is his partner in science too, maybe they both work and have salaries and are pooling their resources so that they can afford their cool science poo poo. Or maybe they got a grant from some government agency to research new energies. Wine, poetry and marriage aren't things that are out of reach to the middle classes.

Yes, precisely, you nailed it.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Yeah Leo went a bit darker with his hair for The Departed, but I think that's why they made Matt Damon constantly be super clean-shaven and Leo a bit stubbly

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

They're similar enough in general but one of them is constantly clean cut and well-dressed (despite being the corrupt cop) while the other one is working undercover and is stressing out, abusing anxiety meds, constantly has bags under his eyes, stubble, etc.

I get confusion from stills or posters I guess but in the context of the film they really don't behave or look much alike once the plot gets rolling. Leo had a much more cop haircut when he was actually in the police academy at the start of the film though.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Also the t2000 is a completely different type of terminator, but the dogs know anyway

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

Also they cast Robert Patrick because he could fire his gun without blinking which is a very rare skill that even Arnold didn't have. It helped make him seem less human.

It's hilarious watching Mel Gibson fire a gun in Lethal Weapon and comparing the difference. Even just between him and Danny Glover it's pretty remarkable.

https://youtu.be/3aSdLAndoJU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

... I didn't even know there was an alternate ending, drat.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Dragonstoned posted:

:filez: gonna :filez:

(I do own it on DVD and BR but I don't have an optical drive in my computer anymore)

Fade out from the teary goodbye to Arnie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEaS8X1_gcU

:barf:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Jedit posted:

Spoilers for Sarah Connor Chronicles S1: Sarah and team encounter a Terminator posing as a man named Vick and are able to destroy it. They study its chip to find out what it knew and what its mission was, but in the process they learn that Vick was married to a human woman. You get to see their relationship with all the problems you'd expect, but her not knowing that they stem from the fact that her husband is actually a killer robot. It's the one time in all the franchise where you get to see a Terminator in full infiltration mode, just slightly off key rather than robotic and all for the purpose of the mission. And it's creepy as gently caress, especially considering the implications.

Dang that sounds pretty lit. Like the ability to convincingly behave as a loving spouse but in reality be a moment's notice from switching to exterminate all humans mode with no remorse.

Westworld season one had a nice impact in similar ways. When Bernard is revealed to be a sleeper host when Ford has him kill the lady he was dating

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I read the scarlet letter for school but don't remember much

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Are you an effective team?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Phy posted:

An actually subtle thing I liked about Oblivion was how the giant space triangle looked like it was covered with Widmanstätten patterns, like you get in nickel-iron meteorites

That makes me think of the Interstellar tesseract too

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

And let's not forget the ending that became a meme, with Sam watching the entire story playing out as a movie exactly as he experienced it and just allowing himself to give in as he bursts into laughter at the futility of his struggle and just stays there, watching the movie on repeat.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

hold on, 3d? what kind of 3d?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Muppet Tropic Thunder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Likewise with the Woody Harrelson hitman character.

That was definitely on screen